-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I picked up a can of El Pato Green Enchilada Sauce and made some cheese enchiladas New Mexico style (not rolled). They came out great, though a a bit spicy.

Spray a casserole dish with cooking spray to ease clean up and serving. Spoon some sauce in the bottom, Place a layer of tortillas. (A round dish works best or cut the tortillas in half and arrange in a rectangular dish to cover the surface.) Add a generous layer of grated cheese and chopped onions. Black olives are an option as are diced chiles. Spoon more sauce over the cheese, Place another layer of tortillas, add cheese and any optional items and then repeat until the casserole dish is full,. Top with sauce and grated cheese. Cook covered for 45 minutes to an hour. Cook uncovered until the top is as browned as you like, Serve with rice and beans as desired.

You can add cooked ground beef, diced chicken or pork to each layer if you like. You can also do the same process with red enchilada sauce if you prefer. I usually use cheddar or Mexican blend shredded cheese but jack, colby, pepper jack, etc all work well.

Add - cooking temp is 350 degrees. Sorry about that!

Last edited by Calif. Hunter; 09/02/20. Reason: Added cooking temp - 350 degrees

�That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.� George Orwell
GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Oven cooked ? What temp ?

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tag

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sounds good!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I could eat food like that every day. Sounds like a cheese enchilada casserole. Sounds great. That could easily be tweaked to suit one’s particular likes.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Yep - that's a basic recipe we do monthly at minimum at my house. We call it enchilada stack. Can do red, green or even Christmas.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the recipe. I bought a can of the green stuff last week and was wondering what to make with it. NM flat style does seem easy.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]Oh hell yeah...!

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Got some in the oven right now, with ground beef. Fried the tortillas lightly, and used the red stuff instead of green. Wife has some plans for the green stuff. I'm an enchilada noob.

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
i've got enchiladas on the list to do...soon as the cooler weather hits and i can use the oven comfortably

IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
We did some Verde enchiladas the other night. Ground game meat, some refried and black beans, a bunch of chopped Hatch Chile and some green enchilada sauce. Quick throw together and we ate two pans of them.

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
for me the challenge is to find a decent homemade red enchilada sauce. I found a 'ranchero' sauce on Youtube that looks pretty good, we'll see

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 4th_point
Got some in the oven right now, with ground beef. Fried the tortillas lightly, and used the red stuff instead of green. Wife has some plans for the green stuff. I'm an enchilada noob.

It was a big hit for supper last night. I was a little skimpy with the sauce, as I was afraid of it being soggy but it was still really good. Will definitely be doing more variations.

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
looks delectable

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Made it tonight with carnitas and some onion. Top and bottom flour torts, middle corn. Served with sour cream on the side. Excellent !

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Craigster
Made it tonight with carnitas and some onion. Top and bottom flour torts, middle corn. Served with sour cream on the side. Excellent !

Sonofabitch..........that sounds good.

I am MAGA.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
It was !

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've been making enchilada casserole for years by taking a stack of about 20 or so tortillas (corn) and slicing them up into about 1" pieces and doing the same things as noted above making layers in a dish with cheese ( whatever favorite blend), Hatch's green or red enchilada sauce, +/- meat of choice, and condiments of choice, topped with more cheese and sauce. Bake at 350 F for about 30 min. Quickly disappears around here.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well! We tried it tonight, was pretty good! Not exactly weight watchers but good.

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (808outdoors, 7mm_Loco, 14idaho, 10gaugemag, 15 invisible), 1,264 guests, and 813 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,868
Posts18,478,678
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.