Home
do you like the kind/brand you have, or do you wish you had a different brand?

do they use a coffee filter like a drip percolator does?

i've never had or used one.

just a 20 dollar drip.

looking for one.
It's the only way I'll make coffee. I have no idea which brand of press I use, but I have a few of them and they all work pretty much the same. You dump grounds in, then hot water, let it brew for a bit, then push the plunger top down and the grounds get separated from the liquid. Very easy to use, easy cleanup and good results.
Never tried one, would like to but am afraid.

Happy with the Kureg.
If I tried a press and loved it,
Then I would be screwing with that all the time.

Ignorance is truly bliss! wink
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Never tried one, would like to but am afraid.

Happy with the Kureg.
If I tried a press and loved it,
Then I would be screwing with that all the time.

Ignorance is truly bliss! wink

Yep.
so it sounds like some or all of them don't really need to use filter paper, either white or unbleached.

i've been inkling for one. the drip coffee maker is getting old, have to prop the bottom of the coffee holder open for it to drain into the pot.

otherwise it's pretty good. makes coffee everytime i want a pot.

i see there's 3 cup size, and 8 cup size mostly.

i'd probably do the 8 cup size.
Bodum is probably the “best” press. But, they all do the same job.

It’s more about roast, grind, water temp, and brew time.
Originally Posted by ironbender

Tell us about all these things.

Have always used a $20 drip job....Black & Decker

Makes a good cup....Folgers

Wife had to have a press.....

Amazon $35

Seems more a PIA to make coffee....usually on weekends

Have to tell ya,,,,makes a smooth mug of coffee...actually 2 mugs

I'll give 'em 4.5 stars for our pot..drip is just faster/easier

I use one camping and once in awhile here at the house. You dont use filters. The plunger has a fine screen that presses the grounds down and separates them from the brewed coffee. Makes great coffee
Originally Posted by Boarmaster123

This video covers it pretty well.

I use a french press for making coffee. I like the results.
I have an all stainless insulated one, came from Starbucks, it's been used so much the seal around the plunger is wearing out. Still works great though. I like very strong coffee so grind the beans pretty fine. A medium grind is the norm. I put 3 heaping tablespoons in the carafe, fill it with hot water just off the boil, stir and wait 4-5 minutes, press and enjoy.

BTW, french presses don't use a paper filter, that's drip coffee.
Originally Posted by tikkanut

... a good cup....Folgers ...

Does not compute.
Gay people do.

People that enjoy a mani pedi and are into interior design....in other words.
they're ok, agree they make good coffee, still get grounds, though. I prefer a Melitta, one reason being i can use a warmer
They’re simple as it gets and don’t need a plug or paper filters. Only down side is not having a burner to keep the pot on.

It’s cowboy coffee with a screen to keep the mud on the bottom.

Thanks
i'm afraid if i use one i will start wearing flannel pajamas and holding my oversized cup in both hands
I don't at home but use an aero press when camping. Handy little rig that makes a good cup of coffee.
Originally Posted by rem141r
i'm afraid if i use one i will start wearing flannel pajamas and holding my oversized cup in both hands

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Originally Posted by sse

Is this a young Paul Bernard?
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Gay people do.

Jim, it's your Travis fascination, that gets you in trouble !

whistle
Gay people do.

Pretty sure this is how the duck of doom, makes her dessert coffee !
Up until recently I would have gone along with what most of you are saying.
I went on a duck hunt with some friends and after getting set up one guy pulled out his Jetboil and started boiling water for coffee. He had the coffee press attachment for it and used it. Best darn coffee I've ever had in a duck blind. I went to buy one when I got home but they don't make one for my MiniMo.
Way more time and work I want to expend. Besides, what's wrong with Mr. Coffee and a helping of Yuban?

Works just fine for me. (But then, I ain't upscale and yuppyized. ) grin

L.W.
"one guy pulled out his Jetboil and started boiling water for coffee."

This is what i have. Its all in about the size of a thermos minus the water. Fresh hot coffee anywhere, anytime.
Quick tip, Use the French Press when loading 8mm Lebel.

when I get up at 0600

I want coffee.........

so the drip does it fast

camping ?

I can wait for the french press
I've bought my wife a few presses. Glass ones end up breaking. Latest is a nice stainless one from Amazon. No filters, but you have to clean out the grounds and I know some people who won't drink it as it can increase their cholesterol a tiny bit. According to some research.

Currently the press is collecting dust, as we use a cheap drip maker, and most recently the K-banger pods.
I have had a couple of french presses over the years. Got a percolator or two in the cabinets. I found that grinding my beans just before I make my coffee makes a better cup of joe than the actual method of brewing. When my Cuisinart gives up the ghost I guess that I will buy me another. Love great coffee.
I can't stand a keurig cup. I'd rather drink the most rot-gut, 24 hr old truck stop coffee than a keurig. And I've drank plenty of truck stop coffee
For what those Keurig cups cost I can brew a half pot of good coffee, drink what I want, throw the rest away and come out ahead flavor and money wise.
I use a French press, glass body. Grind my beans extra fine and fresh right before adding water. I let it sit for 20min under a cozy before a single plunge. I drink coffee for the flavour, strong and black is the only way for me and I find the French press does the best job of that.
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
I can't stand a keurig cup. I'd rather drink the most rot-gut, 24 hr old truck stop coffee than a keurig. And I've drank plenty of truck stop coffee

I would disagree with that. But, my taste buds might not be as refined as yours.

From what I have experienced, you can get the same spectrum of coffee with a K-banger machine as you can with other methods of making coffee. From good to bad.

Originally Posted by mathman
For what those Keurig cups cost I can brew a half pot of good coffee, drink what I want, throw the rest away and come out ahead flavor and money wise.

I thought the exact same thing, for the past several years, no BS. I was against the whole system. It made absolutely no sense to my technical mind. It wasn't until we got a free Keurig machine a few months ago that it has changed my opinion.

For one, there's really nothing to clean let alone rinse, at least on a daily basis. Yeah, I agree... not a big deal. But I like to keep a fairly clean pot/carafe and basket, so there's a little time spent there. None with the K-banger machine.

Second, you can have a house full of people with the cup of coffee that they like best. No suffering some pot of brew that you simply do not like. Another win for the K-banger.

Third, if I make too much in the dripper/press/perc then I suffer through it. Whether it's scorched on the hot plate of the dripper, or getting skanky in an insulated carafe, it's not as good as a fresh brew. I drink it, as I am too cheap to pour it down the drain. Or, simply hit the brew button on the K-banger machine, and I have exactly what I want within seconds. Win, again, for the K-banger machine.

And, a big win for me is that I might be working around the house in the afternoon and want a quick pick-me-up. Do I really want to set up the dripper? Or, babysit the perc? [bleep] no. Hit the button on the K-banger, and I've got exactly what I want and keep going with my projects.

I like it, but is it the Star Trek food replicator? No. But I can have a dang good mug of coffee, quick. And can still run a dripper, press, or perc as needed.

In other words... it's not an either/or. Unless we simply want it that way. I got them all grin

if it makes ya happy
My father in law gets cases of k-cups at the food bank.
They seem to never run out, usually Starbucks Pikes Peak,
sometimes a dark roast.

When I fill my carousel, and notice the for poor getting empty,
I tell him. In a week or so I get a case of two.

At the best possible price.

Otherwise I bought them at Ollies.
The problem there is changing brands and types.
Find the one you prefer, then they don't have it anymore.
Since you don't have a French press, you can "try it" at home, and see if you like it. Boil some water in a sauce pan, turn off heat when boiling is reached. Add the desired amount of coffee you like (~1 tspn/cup of water). Stir, and let soak/extraction develop for 4-5 minutes. Grounds will largely settle out on the bottom. Decant/pour without disturbing settled grounds through a coffee filter into your coffee cup. Viola! Done.

I was given a French press as a present years ago ( don't know the brand). I use it on/off depending on my desire to try something else ( I'm a percolator guy). My french press makes very good coffee. I guess it is supposed to give a more complex taste of coffee. It is a very simple device, which can be cheaply "test driven" with the sauce pan/coffee filter technique. If you like the flavor, or notice a difference, get one.
One teaspoon per cup sounds pretty thin.
Wife brought home a French press as a leftover from Mom's garage sale yesterday.

Never been a big fan because of process and wait time. Done right though hard to beat the flavor you can get from even the most marginal of beans.
Adding one or two more SS mesh filters to the French press plunger will reduce the amount of mud, if that is your preference. It is something that can be done in conjunction with grinding the beans on the finest setting. Faster and more complete flavor extraction of the grinds without all the mud.
Just because you have a Keureg, does not mean that you have to use their cups. I buy my favorite beans, grind them, and then use one of the reuseable brew and save cups to brew my coffee. Quick, only make what I can drink and no waste. Win Win. IMHO.

Nope, you will hold your pinky out as you sip your latte. You might even start wearing pink fluffy bed room slippers too.

Long time Melita user and now I like the French press the best. Get a double wall stainless type and the coffee stays warm for a couple of hours. We take them camping with us now and a lot faster than percolators or cowboy coffee and no filters or funnels to mess with. Plastic or at least cheap ones get stained quickly. Get an extra filter so you know you have the right size even though a single filter can last years.

I have even taken the whole pot to the blind when I have an easy walk. Some types have a screw on lid that turns them into a thermos but not sure how that works with the grounds. If you have to pour then might as well use a regular thermos.

I cringe at the grocery store looking at all those single service filter pack coffees that you can't recycle, those things should be illegal.

Because it is.
Every brand and price range of coffee
I've ever bought bought has the same
instructions printed on the side.
Use 1 HEAPING TABLESPOON of
coffee for 6 ounces of cold filtered water,
not 8 ounces, or measured cup
I should also add that about 98% of the border
jumpers in this area that drink coffee use instant.
Either Nescafe or Don Pedro or Cafe Soluble Legal.
Them that use coffee grounds make cowboy
boiled coffee
Originally Posted by Ranger99

Because it is.

My bag of Community suggests 2 heaping tablespoons for 6 ounces of filtered water. It's on the stout side. grin

Because it is.

My bag of Community suggests 2 heaping tablespoons for 6 ounces of filtered water. It's on the stout side. grin

Nothing wrong with Community coffee.
Just haven't bought any in a while
Costs a good bit more here than the cheap
store brand swill I usually buy
Didn't have a package of any here to consult.

The little highway information stations in
Lousiana used to serve Community, the
New Orleans blend I'm thinking

Because it is.

Thick enough to float a crowbar and hotter'n a two dollah pistol!
Use 1 HEAPING TABLESPOON of coffee for 6 ounces of cold filtered water

very often it is the traditional standard, 5 oz
( I'm a percolator guy)

sorry, you are now harshly judged
Long time Melita user

yes

and now I like the French press the best.

no
sse: Have you used one? As good or better and quicker too. I think it requires less grounds but not by much. Coffee in about ten minutes versus about 15+ for a Molita.
Pre kids- my wife and I would take the time to grind a batch of beans and make french press every morning. To me- it’s the best way to make coffee. It seems to produce a more rich and flavorful drink.

Post kids- we use a programmable drip coffee maker and Kirkland pre ground.

If you’ve got the time- I’d suggest giving a French press a whirl.
I've tried just about every coffee making method out there. Nobody can handle my coffee when I fix it to my liking. I like a brew that has low viscosity

I liked the taste of French Press, but not the mess with the grounds. I much prefer a method that gets rid of the grounds without a lot of fuss.

Right now, my first cup comes from a Kuerig using reuseable cups and fine-ground espresso. It makes a 12 OZ cup of rocket fuel. This gets my eyes focusing

My second cup comes from a 4-cup drip machine on my desk at work. I use a reuseable basket filter. I have to watch my intake. Taken too close to Cup #1, I can make my heart flutter with Cup #2. If I hit it too late in the day, I'm up all night.

At the farm, I've got a 1-cup K-cup rig for when I'm there by myself, and a big Mirro urn for when deer camp is open.

For camping, I've got a folding percolator.

I'd say Melita with a reusable basket is about my all-time favorite. However, if I'm not cooking in the kitchen it's too much hassle. I turned my folks onto it 40 years ago, and Mom was still making it that way when she went into the home.

Originally Posted by Tejano
sse: Have you used one? As good or better and quicker too. I think it requires less grounds but not by much. Coffee in about ten minutes versus about 15+ for a Molita.

Sure, they break easily and you get a lot of grounds. I use a Melitta and take it wherever I go, pre-grind the coffee, make sure I have something to boil water, hunting, fishing, another box of gear.
Hard to beat the taste of french pressed coffee if you do it right. Be careful at the temp you add the water. There is some concern that adding boiling water to beans can add some health risks.
I have an electric pot for boiling set at 190 degrees. It is much faster and more efficient than the stove. I make my own mix with Ruta Maya dark roast and then: Dark Sumatra, Kona, Arabian Mocha, and Blue Mt. Coffee. Doesn't take much of the others to boost the flavor of the Dark Roast Ruta Maya. This has spoiled me for most other coffees. It is easier for me to mail order the specialty coffees and I try to keep one or two kilos around all the time.
Originally Posted by Tejano
I have an electric pot for boiling set at 190 degrees. It is much faster and more efficient than the stove. I make my own mix with Ruta Maya dark roast and then: Dark Sumatra, Kona, Arabian Mocha, and Blue Mt. Coffee. Doesn't take much of the others to boost the flavor of the Dark Roast Ruta Maya. This has spoiled me for most other coffees. It is easier for me to mail order the specialty coffees and I try to keep one or two kilos around all the time.

Excellent...card carrying member of the coffee snob fraternity...we can work on the secret handshake.

don't tell chewbacca a/k/a 'Pizza the Hut", he'll get offended

home...

roughing it...

Originally Posted by sse

roughing it...

I have one of those. Pretty good.

You use a coarse grind? It seems to be real slow w a finer grind.
medium
sorry, forgot the matching green cup...LOL (sold seperately)

I like the French Press I use at work on nightshift. At home not an option for the amount of coffee the wife and I drink throughout the day.
Originally Posted by sse
sorry, forgot the matching green cup...LOL (sold seperately)

That’s an attractive setup.
got this in the 90's, think they still sell 'em (might be considered girly by some LOL)
Do you have the matching handbag?
shut up i used to have a handbag...everybody in europe carries one. problem was when i got home my mother decided she liked it and took it away...LOL
Watch out Jim. sse will hit you with his purse.

Will have to try this thing again.

Got a pair of these press mugs primarily for travel, but great for a single afternoon cup too.

LOL

Got a pair of these press mugs primarily for travel, but great for a single afternoon cup too.

nice accessories to a great ensemble

i got a hundred yuan that says that's all chinee
Originally Posted by sse

Ha ha!
Pay up, buddy!

High toned for this old farm boy. Lake water, tin Dutch oven, grounds mixed with egg, boiled over wood fire, dipped in lake with gaff hook to settle the grounds, dip out with white enameled cup, burn lip's, enjoy.

Hard to do that every day.

laugh
Originally Posted by sse

Ha ha!
Pay up, buddy!

mad
You owe me $14.94! LOL

https://transferwise.com/us/currency-converter/cny-to-usd-rate?amount=100
this thread has learnt me more about the french press than i ever thought i might need to know.

obviously there's more than one way to brew a good cup of coffee.

i'm shopping for a worthy french press just to try.

Thanks

By FAR the best way to make coffee - IF you have the time. Absolute best cup of coffee I ever had.

how about bitcoin
Expected Enron stock.
Expected Enron stock.

k, look for an email from nigeria, they'll need some info on getting the funds to you... cool
© 24hourcampfire