Home
Posted By: Judman Jug meat/steak.. - 10/22/20
Anyone ever make it?
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Jug meat/steak.. - 10/22/20
Not unless it's also called something else ?
Posted By: Judman Re: Jug meat/steak.. - 10/22/20
Layer garlic and salt between layers of meat, in a glass jar, leave in fridge or basement for several months, enjoy. Guess elk is mo betta than deer steak in this application
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Jug meat/steak.. - 10/22/20
Yowsa!

No vinegar?
I been looking it up.

All the jug meat I find is cooked.
Nope raw, stack/layer with salt, pepper and garlic, stuff in GLASS jar getting all the air out til full, sit in back of fridge minimum of 30 days, enjoy
Thats wildern hell.

Does the meat denature like in ceviche? (sp)
Yes
Jim Iโ€™ll make some outta rank bull I killed to make him edible. Pics and review coming. ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚
Posted By: kevinJ Re: Jug meat/steak.. - 10/23/20
Got me interested. Pics and more detail!!!!
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Jug meat/steak.. - 10/23/20
Originally Posted by Judman
Jim Iโ€™ll make some outta rank bull I killed to make him edible. Pics and review coming. ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

If I come visit and you have been dragging your bare azz all oven in the snow.....I aint trying any!
Posted By: mathman Re: Jug meat/steak.. - 10/23/20
Call me a sissy, but that seems a little funky to me.
Posted By: Judman Re: Jug meat/steak.. - 10/23/20
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by Judman

If I come visit and you have been dragging your bare azz all oven in the snow.....I aint trying any!

๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚
Posted By: haverluk Re: Jug meat/steak.. - 10/23/20
So I have brine cured venison and waterfowl before but they are then cooked Or smoked after being pulled from the brine. Is that the intention or is this eaten straight out of the jar?
Posted By: Judman Re: Jug meat/steak.. - 10/23/20
Cook it outta the jar
Posted By: haverluk Re: Jug meat/steak.. - 10/23/20
Yeah that is totally doable and the results can be pretty good. I make a half dozen corned deer roasts from old or rutting bucks every year. It makes some killer hash. I will do the same with a smoker full of goose breasts for pastrami. It is a great way to process it if not going into smoked sausages.

I use a freezer ziplock or a vacuum sealer bag. Mortonโ€™s tender quick works well or I will add some pink salt to kosher salt if I am looking to keep the color. My brines would be similar to yours but I add the picking spices to get the โ€œcorned beefโ€ flavor.

A month in the brine would likely be too much for my taste. Mine usually brine for 7-8 days in the fridge for the salt absorption and flavor profile I like. Then the corned roasts are vacuum sealed and frozen to cook later. The geese are dry seasoned, smoked, sliced and then frozen.
© 24hourcampfire