Home
Posted By: wabigoon Black Eyed Peas? - 12/29/20
The New Year's dish.

Anyone fix it, how?
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Black Eyed Peas? - 12/29/20
Disappointedly
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Black Eyed Peas? - 12/29/20
Ham hocks, or smoked turkey wings to liven the beans up,----some.
Posted By: mathman Re: Black Eyed Peas? - 12/29/20
They do take some doctoring to become palatable.
The plan.[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
I fry several slices of bacon. After taking out the slices I fry diced onion in the bacon grease. I dice up the bacon and add it, the onions and some bacon grease to the black eyes. I also add slices of smoky pork sausage.
Sounds like a plan!!!
You have the smoky part covered with the smoked wings.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Black Eyed Peas? - 12/29/20
Pork, sauerkraut, dumplings, mashed potatoes.

Glad I'm Pa German!

Hope you all enjoy your "peas".
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Black Eyed Peas? - 12/29/20
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

Glad I'm Pa German!

Hah! I don’t think pop has missed pork and sauerkraut on New Year’s Day in 87 years!

I do however like BEPs. I do bacon, onion, garlic and mustard greens with my peas. It goes great with pork and sauerkraut!
Posted By: whackem_stackem Re: Black Eyed Peas? - 12/29/20
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

Glad I'm Pa German!

We always have a Hofbrauhaus style lunch.
Knockwurst, kraut and potato salad or potato pancakes. Sometimes both.
And beer
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Black Eyed Peas? - 12/29/20
Blackeyed peas are okay, purple hulls are better. We freeze them, and cooking is simple......just add a little butter, sugar, salt and pepper. They go with most anything.
Posted By: rem141r Re: Black Eyed Peas? - 12/29/20
i'll be making jaegerschnitzel, spetzle and brussels. it was a toss-up between that and pulled pork and ribs. might do the bbq on sunday.
Posted By: Miss_Lynn Re: Black Eyed Peas? - 12/29/20
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Sounds like a plan!!!

I add two bay leaves, it gives it just the right savoury taste.

Lynn
Posted By: riflegunbuilder Re: Black Eyed Peas? - 12/29/20
My butcher sells me chunks of country hams left over after they slice one and sell the slices. Cut it up in chunks about as big as the end of your thumb. Works great in peas, pinto beans, and collards. Add a little cajun seasoning and you are good to go.
Posted By: LouisB Re: Black Eyed Peas? - 12/29/20
Gotta be Black Eye Peas or Pasole after midnight to guarantee a great upcoming year!

The choice based on your location or personal preference.
My first Southern foods were in The US Army. Collard greens.

My first black eyed peas were in a small place in Amarillo Texas in January 1967.
Posted By: blindshooter Re: Black Eyed Peas? - 12/30/20
My favorite pork sausage browned up a bit then some onions in the fat, dump it all in a slow cooker for 6-7 hrs.
I like a shot of hot sauce in the bowl and hot fried corn bread and molasses on the side.
Posted By: Steve Re: Black Eyed Peas? - 12/30/20
Blech... Convinced that the reason they're served on New Years Day is that it's likely the worst thing your going to eat all year.
Posted By: mathman Re: Black Eyed Peas? - 12/30/20
A hangover punishment?
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Black Eyed Peas? - 12/30/20
Thems is good eating.

Especially with sowbelly.

Like soup beans.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Black Eyed Peas? - 12/30/20

They're like many foods that really aren't all that good, but a lot of people feel the need to act like they are out of some sense of heritage, location, etc.
Posted By: milespatton Re: Black Eyed Peas? - 12/30/20
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Blackeyed peas are okay, purple hulls are better. We freeze them, and cooking is simple......just add a little butter, sugar, salt and pepper. They go with most anything.

JamesJr is correct about this. Another thing, they are both better picked and stored in the "roasting ear" stage, and not dried. Most people have only eaten black eyed peas that are dried. miles
Posted By: lynntelk Re: Black Eyed Peas? - 12/30/20
Originally Posted by milespatton

JamesJr is correct about this. Another thing, they are both better picked and stored in the "roasting ear" stage, and not dried. Most people have only eaten black eyed peas that are dried. miles

I’ve shelled enough BEP’s to know you are correct. Fresh with ‘snaps’ are the best.
Posted By: JimHnSTL Re: Black Eyed Peas? - 12/30/20
I have only had them one time and they were awesome. However I am sure folks will turn their nose at where I got them. Popeye’s had them for a limited run a couple summers ago. I don’t know how those compare to real southern made ones but I would buy/eat those again in a heart beat.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Black Eyed Peas? - 12/31/20
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

So far, so good.
Posted By: AKduck Re: Black Eyed Peas? - 01/01/21
Looks good Wabi
Posted By: 4th_point Re: Black Eyed Peas? - 01/01/21
I don't like them, and I'm not that picky.
Posted By: Ranger99 Re: Black Eyed Peas? - 01/01/21
Just got through eating my second bowl
with a hunk of cornbread.
Somehow I ended up with a bag of neckbones
instead of the bag of fatback I thought I had.
And I guess the greens I had were eaten on
Thanksgiving or Christmas
Oh well, the BE peas with neck meat and
cornbread was plenty good

Happy New Year
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Black Eyed Peas? - 01/01/21
Originally Posted by JimHnSTL
I have only had them one time and they were awesome. However I am sure folks will turn their nose at where I got them. Popeye’s had them for a limited run a couple summers ago. I don’t know how those compare to real southern made ones but I would buy/eat those again in a heart beat.

Popeyes sides are better than the chicken. And the chicken don’t suck.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Black Eyed Peas? - 01/01/21
Mine are simmering now.

Fried up some andouille, onion, pepper, celery, some garlic. Threw in a bunch of greens and chicken stock.
Woooooo! !
Posted By: Henryseale Re: Black Eyed Peas? - 01/01/21
Plain B.E. peas are not too flavorful on their own. Now, if you soak them overnight and boil with some good smoked ham, bacon, sausage, etc., add a chopped onion, a little garlic, maybe a little red pepper, some black pepper and salt to taste, they can be some fine table fare. I have a pound of them soaking now for our traditional meal tomorrow with cabbage and cornbread. Good Stuff!
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Black Eyed Peas? - 01/01/21
Originally Posted by milespatton

I don't care for dried peas at all. I guess if I had to eat them, it would be another thing. We find the flavor of the pinkeye purple hulls to be superior to that of the blackeyes, and I haven't eaten blackeye peas in a long time. We pick them while they're still green, when the pods turn purple, shell them, blanch and then freeze. I'll guarantee you that it's some darn good eating.
Posted By: riflegunbuilder Re: Black Eyed Peas? - 01/02/21
Cooked frozen ones with snaps. Had peas with homemade green tomato relish, collards with rutabagas cooked in them and cracklin corn bread. Very good way to start the year.
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Black Eyed Peas? - 01/02/21
I can't discount tradition, but I know why BEP's represent tradition. Our ancestors were poor and didn't have adequate caloric nutrition. Just like the reason they ate squirrel brains. They was poor and hungry.

Modern caloric and dietary availability make these tradition, rather than good cuisine.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Black Eyed Peas? - 01/02/21
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
I can't discount tradition, but I know why BEP's represent tradition. Our ancestors were poor and didn't have adequate caloric nutrition. Just like the reason they ate squirrel brains. They was poor and hungry.

Modern caloric and dietary availability make these tradition, rather than good cuisine.

Diogenes can set down his lantern.
Posted By: velvet tines Re: Black Eyed Peas? - 01/02/21
if you can't find fresh or frozen, take the dried and rinse them. add them to pot with enough water to cover by 2 inches. place on stove to boil for 2 or three minutes. once they boil, turn off heat and lid. leave on stove overnight. next day, rinse peas and refill pot with 1/2 water and 1/2 chicken broth to cover. add onion, garlic, bacon (or ham hock, smoked jowl, fatback, etc.) and cook an hour until tender. season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: BlackHunter Re: Black Eyed Peas? - 01/04/21
Soak dried beans overnight

Drain in the morning.

Place in pot with ham hocks and any ham scraps you have or bacon or jowl cut to a medium size.

Cover with chicken stock.

Add salt, black pepper, onion and jalapeño to taste.

Cook low and slow for at least 2.5 to 3 hours checking for liquid levels occasionally.

Serve over rice.
© 24hourcampfire