J
Thems is good eating.

Especially with sowbelly.

Like soup beans.

I am MAGA.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

They're like many foods that really aren't all that good, but a lot of people feel the need to act like they are out of some sense of heritage, location, etc.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Blackeyed peas are okay, purple hulls are better. We freeze them, and cooking is simple......just add a little butter, sugar, salt and pepper. They go with most anything.

JamesJr is correct about this. Another thing, they are both better picked and stored in the "roasting ear" stage, and not dried. Most people have only eaten black eyed peas that are dried. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by milespatton
Blackeyed peas are okay, purple hulls are better. We freeze them, and cooking is simple......just add a little butter, sugar, salt and pepper. They go with most anything.

JamesJr is correct about this. Another thing, they are both better picked and stored in the "roasting ear" stage, and not dried. Most people have only eaten black eyed peas that are dried. miles

I’ve shelled enough BEP’s to know you are correct. Fresh with ‘snaps’ are the best.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have only had them one time and they were awesome. However I am sure folks will turn their nose at where I got them. Popeye’s had them for a limited run a couple summers ago. I don’t know how those compare to real southern made ones but I would buy/eat those again in a heart beat.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

So far, so good.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Looks good Wabi

Yup.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't like them, and I'm not that picky.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Just got through eating my second bowl
with a hunk of cornbread.
Somehow I ended up with a bag of neckbones
instead of the bag of fatback I thought I had.
And I guess the greens I had were eaten on
Thanksgiving or Christmas
Oh well, the BE peas with neck meat and
cornbread was plenty good

Happy New Year

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JimHnSTL
I have only had them one time and they were awesome. However I am sure folks will turn their nose at where I got them. Popeye’s had them for a limited run a couple summers ago. I don’t know how those compare to real southern made ones but I would buy/eat those again in a heart beat.

Popeyes sides are better than the chicken. And the chicken don’t suck.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mine are simmering now.

Fried up some andouille, onion, pepper, celery, some garlic. Threw in a bunch of greens and chicken stock.
Woooooo! !

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
Plain B.E. peas are not too flavorful on their own. Now, if you soak them overnight and boil with some good smoked ham, bacon, sausage, etc., add a chopped onion, a little garlic, maybe a little red pepper, some black pepper and salt to taste, they can be some fine table fare. I have a pound of them soaking now for our traditional meal tomorrow with cabbage and cornbread. Good Stuff!

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by milespatton

I don't care for dried peas at all. I guess if I had to eat them, it would be another thing. We find the flavor of the pinkeye purple hulls to be superior to that of the blackeyes, and I haven't eaten blackeye peas in a long time. We pick them while they're still green, when the pods turn purple, shell them, blanch and then freeze. I'll guarantee you that it's some darn good eating.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Cooked frozen ones with snaps. Had peas with homemade green tomato relish, collards with rutabagas cooked in them and cracklin corn bread. Very good way to start the year.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I can't discount tradition, but I know why BEP's represent tradition. Our ancestors were poor and didn't have adequate caloric nutrition. Just like the reason they ate squirrel brains. They was poor and hungry.

Modern caloric and dietary availability make these tradition, rather than good cuisine.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
I can't discount tradition, but I know why BEP's represent tradition. Our ancestors were poor and didn't have adequate caloric nutrition. Just like the reason they ate squirrel brains. They was poor and hungry.

Modern caloric and dietary availability make these tradition, rather than good cuisine.

Diogenes can set down his lantern.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
if you can't find fresh or frozen, take the dried and rinse them. add them to pot with enough water to cover by 2 inches. place on stove to boil for 2 or three minutes. once they boil, turn off heat and lid. leave on stove overnight. next day, rinse peas and refill pot with 1/2 water and 1/2 chicken broth to cover. add onion, garlic, bacon (or ham hock, smoked jowl, fatback, etc.) and cook an hour until tender. season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Soak dried beans overnight

Drain in the morning.

Place in pot with ham hocks and any ham scraps you have or bacon or jowl cut to a medium size.

Cover with chicken stock.

Add salt, black pepper, onion and jalapeño to taste.

Cook low and slow for at least 2.5 to 3 hours checking for liquid levels occasionally.

Serve over rice.

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member

Your true character shows in your conduct

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

137 members (1beaver_shooter, 14idaho, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 300_savage, 16penny, 23 invisible), 1,427 guests, and 1,007 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,864
Posts18,478,654
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.