Home
Posted By: Pappy348 Canned “Meat” - 02/27/21
Is it my imagination, or are canned meats like corned beef a lot worse than they used to be? I used to love deviled ham as a kid. The last time I bought it it seemed really nasty. Just opened some corned beef and it was pretty yucky too.
Posted By: Terryk Re: Canned “Meat” - 02/27/21
I have not had canned corned beef in years. As I recall it was pretty questionable back then. I think we ate hormell.
Ill have to get some when I pick up some spam.
Posted By: chris_c Re: Canned “Meat” - 02/27/21
I think some of it has changed to be "healthier" doesn't taste better though
Posted By: eaglemountainman Re: Canned “Meat” - 02/27/21

Oh, wait...did you say meat?
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Canned “Meat” - 02/27/21
I have recently really enjoyed a few cans of Russian and Polish pork pate. Those folks thoroughly understand canned meat. Unfortunately, it is no longer legal to import canned meat from Europe so my enjoyment has ended. Domestic stuff does not measure up, as the OP notes. I still enjoy Spam, sardines, and all similar things but the quality of US products has fallen off. I need to pick up a couple cans of Underwood meats to be sure, though.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Canned “Meat” - 02/27/21
Keep some potted meat I the cupboard, and love having it there.
If it ever gets opened, there isn't any food in the house, and I'm
skinny and hungry.

As to the OP?

I agree.
We used canned corned beef from Aldi to make turns.
And I get some good canned fish snacks.

But, Vienna Sausages, pickled pigs feet, Spam, there isn't any of it
I like anymore. Used to love pickled sausages, only one brand of those
I like now.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Canned “Meat” - 02/27/21
The China Doll asked me to pick up some Spam for her. It’s a “thing” in China, just like in Hawaii. Took a while before I found some on the shelf. Apparently the survivalists glommed onto it all, just like flour and yeast. Canned meat and fish have a long shelf-life.

No Spam history for me, so I don’t have any comps for it. The current stuff is decidedly last-ditch.

Used to buy Vienna sausage for my dog, but a taste or two was enough for me.

Made a Reuben from that can of CB. The rest will go into some hash. Can’t be any worse than the canned version.

Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Canned “Meat” - 02/27/21
Fry up some Spam slices till nice and browned, smear some mayo on bread and add pickled jalapeno slices. That, boys and girls, is a sammich.
Posted By: MickinColo Re: Canned “Meat” - 02/27/21
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Fry up some Spam slices till nice and browned, smear some mayo on bread and add pickled jalapeno slices. That, boys and girls, is a sammich.

I would substitute mustard for the mayo and add some American cheese.
Posted By: EdM Re: Canned “Meat” - 02/28/21
Though we rarely eat it we always have a can of Mary Kitchen Roast Beef Hash on hand. Works well when we have both gone over the top the previous night...
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Canned “Meat” - 02/28/21
I had a cousin who came home late one night and decided he needed a little snack before going to bed. He spotted a can of "potted meat" in the fridge, and ate it on some crackers. The next morning at the breakfast table, he was eating a big plate of eggs and sausage, when his sister walked into the kitchen, opened the fridge and said "mama, what happened to that can of cat food I put in here". He said he lost his breakfast right then and there.
Posted By: chris_c Re: Canned “Meat” - 02/28/21
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I had a cousin who came home late one night and decided he needed a little snack before going to bed. He spotted a can of "potted meat" in the fridge, and ate it on some crackers. The next morning at the breakfast table, he was eating a big plate of eggs and sausage, when his sister walked into the kitchen, opened the fridge and said "mama, what happened to that can of cat food I put in here". He said he lost his breakfast right then and there.

Now thats funny, can't imagine it would hurt you.
Posted By: mathman Re: Canned “Meat” - 03/01/21
Some pet foods have a bone meal ingredient which a human may not tolerate well.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Canned “Meat” - 03/01/21
Originally Posted by mathman
Some pet foods have a bone meal ingredient which a human may not tolerate well.

Who says all of us are "human"?
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Canned “Meat” - 03/01/21
A good friend was a production manager at Hormel in a Spam plant. He was amazed at the efficiency of the operation.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Canned “Meat” - 03/01/21
I'll eat Spam..........................

but prefer DAK ham.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Canned “Meat” - 03/01/21
I actually like Spam. I slice it up and fry it. A Spam sandwich with mayo and a fresh tomato is pretty good.
Posted By: BOWHUNR Re: Canned “Meat” - 03/01/21
Love SPAM!!!
Posted By: chris_c Re: Canned “Meat” - 03/01/21
We like Spam, always some on the shelve
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Canned “Meat” - 03/01/21
I pack a can of store brand Spam on the boat, in case we get stranded.
Posted By: Snowwolfe Re: Canned “Meat” - 03/05/21
Originally Posted by MickinColo
Originally Posted by RockyRaab

I would substitute mustard for the mayo and add some American cheese.

Don't forget to add the fried egg.
Posted By: fink65 Re: Canned “Meat” - 03/05/21
[quote=Pappy348]Is it my imagination, or are canned meats like corned beef a lot worse than they used to be? I used to love deviled ham as a kid. The last time I bought it it seemed really nasty. Just opened some corned beef and it was pretty yucky too.------------------- Years ago, late 1960s, I worked nights in a packing house. Around 2AM they would wheel out a few carts of canned corned beef from Mexico that had been opened and placed in a few tubs, to be cooked and smoked. I always liked to grab a handful when I walked by. It was real good food. One night I sauntered by and took my usual and commenced to chew. I happened to look at what was still in my hand and there was a typically huge cockroach, only just a half. Repulsed, I spit my mouthful back in the tub and made a beeline to the Federal Meat Inspectors Office. I knew him. His son and I went to school together. We went back to the tub and I showed him the roach and he make a fairly brief inspection and found more roaches and a used bandage along with twigs and leaves and unrecognizable garbage. Needless to say, he roped off the area and the loading dock that held a pallet of more canned corned beef and had me take him to the warehouse to condemn the areas in violation, there. Many years passed and the story goes that there was no more canned corned beef from Mexico imported into the US. Seems as tho the best excuse they could come up with is that there were no screens on their packing plants. I know I couldn't find corned beef loaf for many years after that incident. If I did find some I couldn't eat it.
Posted By: chris_c Re: Canned “Meat” - 03/05/21
Had some spam fried up yesterday
Posted By: bubbajay Re: Canned “Meat” - 03/06/21
I don’t like spam fried or even heated. Just squish it outta the can, slice it, on a piece of soft white bread with Mayo and lettuce.
Posted By: chris_c Re: Canned “Meat” - 03/06/21
Originally Posted by bubbajay
I don’t like spam fried or even heated. Just squish it outta the can, slice it, on a piece of soft white bread with Mayo and lettuce.

That works too
Posted By: Rob96 Re: Canned “Meat” - 03/07/21
Spamburgers, Spam and mac & cheese and eggs and fried Spam for me please.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Canned “Meat” - 03/07/21

Never heard of such a thing.

I dont mind hot dogs straight out of the package though.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Canned “Meat” - 03/07/21
I tasted the Spam I got for the wife a couple of times and found it unbearably salty. Whatever other “charms” it may hold, that s a deal-killer for me.

Bought a bit of canned chicken recently as well. Little difference compared to albacore tuna to my taste in a “tuna” noodle casserole.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Canned “Meat” - 03/07/21
drain a can of Vienna sausages. Pour in BBQ sauce and tap the sauce into place. Serve with Saltines and pickles. Yum!
Posted By: mathman Re: Canned “Meat” - 03/07/21
Add a couple of pieces of "rat" cheese.
Posted By: chris_c Re: Canned “Meat” - 03/07/21
Originally Posted by Pappy348
I tasted the Spam I got for the wife a couple of times and found it unbearably salty. Whatever other “charms” it may hold, that s a deal-killer for me.

Bought a bit of canned chicken recently as well. Little difference compared to albacore tuna to my taste in a “tuna” noodle casserole.

We buy the lower sodium version of spam. And yes albacore tune and canned chicken breast very similar
Posted By: ruffcutt Re: Canned “Meat” - 03/09/21
Hence the name, “chicken of the sea”.
Posted By: chris_c Re: Canned “Meat” - 03/10/21
Originally Posted by ruffcutt
Hence the name, “chicken of the sea”.

Yes, but it has to be the albacore. Not the standard grade.
wink
Posted By: bubbajay Re: Canned “Meat” - 03/16/21
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Never heard of such a thing.

I dont mind hot dogs straight out of the package though.

[quote=Jim_Conrad]

The lettuce makes it more like a salad.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Canned “Meat” - 03/16/21
A lot healthier that way I hear.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Canned “Meat” - 03/16/21

That's the way I grew up eating it.

Sliced cold on bread with butter, mustard, and onion. Dad would dice it up and scramble with eggs on occasion, but that was the only time I ever had it heated.

Same with bologna. Seems weird to fry it before eating it.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Canned “Meat” - 03/16/21
Used to love canned corned beef hash. The dew is off that lily however. Last couple times I fixed it, it fell short of expectations.

Chipped beef on toast was another. May as well just toss some lunch meat in cream gravy with a few tablespoons (heaping) of salt....
© 24hourcampfire