Home
Posted By: Terryk Polish Easter soup, Zurek - 03/05/21
This is a very popular soup in Poland, and especially on Easter. During Lent is can be seen without meat.
The magic soup roux is fermented like sour dough starter kinda. I just started some, so I took pics.
Add pictured stuff with 1/2 cup rye flour and 2 cups of water and set in a warm place for a few days, add another 1/2 cup flour and cup water and wait for 7 days total. Good idea to mix it up every day.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
About 10 peppercorns, and about 10 all spice, maybe 5 bay leaves, 1 tbs majoreum leaves. Few crushed whole garlic.
Soup base is made with water, kielbasa, or maybe bacon slab, whole carrot, parsnip, celery or celery root. That all gets boiled, then the roux is added and again simmered. It will be thick.
Usually most slice up the carrot and meat and leave that in the soup. Other roots can be added or reserved for a salad. Served with 1/2 hard boiled egg, and usually everyone adds some horseradish when served. Very popular, and like many soups amounts and substitutions like being vegetarian is standard. The bottled fermented mix is sold in stores in Poland, so that is a shortcut. You can also get it as a dried soup mix on Amazon in foil packs and add fresh items. Roux is easy to make though. Plenty of versions on youtube. Classic soup this time of year, it is a spring celebration soup.
Terryk- that looks pretty damn good!

Years of brewing has given me an appreciation for rye. Wasn’t long ago I didn’t care for it, but now opening a sack of rye flakes is a treat.

I’m going to get some rye flour this weekend and give it a go. Moms maiden name is Niemczyk, I’m going to ask about it.

Thanks!
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Polish Easter soup, Zurek - 03/06/21
Hoping for pics when your batch is ready.

Mooner, rye is wonderful stuff. Wife and I eat rye bread a few times a month it seems. See the bread thread. Latest is yoghurt rye. I add it to my multi-grain pancakes very frequently.
Posted By: ribka Re: Polish Easter soup, Zurek - 03/08/21

wonderful. thanks for sharing

Originally Posted by Terryk
This is a very popular soup in Poland, and especially on Easter. During Lent is can be seen without meat.
The magic soup roux is fermented like sour dough starter kinda. I just started some, so I took pics.
Add pictured stuff with 1/2 cup rye flour and 2 cups of water and set in a warm place for a few days, add another 1/2 cup flour and cup water and wait for 7 days total. Good idea to mix it up every day.
About 10 peppercorns, and about 10 all spice, maybe 5 bay leaves, 1 tbs majoreum leaves. Few crushed whole garlic.
Soup base is made with water, kielbasa, or maybe bacon slab, whole carrot, parsnip, celery or celery root. That all gets boiled, then the roux is added and again simmered. It will be thick.
Usually most slice up the carrot and meat and leave that in the soup. Other roots can be added or reserved for a salad. Served with 1/2 hard boiled egg, and usually everyone adds some horseradish when served. Very popular, and like many soups amounts and substitutions like being vegetarian is standard. The bottled fermented mix is sold in stores in Poland, so that is a shortcut. You can also get it as a dried soup mix on Amazon in foil packs and add fresh items. Roux is easy to make though. Plenty of versions on youtube. Classic soup this time of year, it is a spring celebration soup.
Posted By: Terryk Re: Polish Easter soup, Zurek - 03/08/21
Mine won't be ready for a while, so I just googled Zurek for pics. Sometimes it is served in a bread bowl. HB egg and horseradish are usually added when serving.
You can also use whole wheat flour, but usually rye is the word.
You can order the bottled fermented roux from Amazon, but it is super expensive, and it is easy to make. I think if you wanted to try it, you could order the dried Zurek soup mix, my daughter actually likes that version also. I guess supplementing the dried mix with fresh veggies and kolbasi really carries the meal.

Posted By: Valsdad Re: Polish Easter soup, Zurek - 03/09/21
Thanks Terry,

They all look great but I'm a bread fan so the one in the bread bowl looks extra special.
Okay, my hillbilly lack of sophistication is showing, but..
What is the deal with a bread bowl?
You can't eat it with soup in it?
Do you eat it when it's empty?
How? Isn't it messy as heck?
I've never had a bread bowl.
Posted By: Terryk Re: Polish Easter soup, Zurek - 03/10/21
Yep you eat the bread bowl. It is usually a thick crust sour dough.
I think a bread bowl and broccoli cheese soup would be good.
© 24hourcampfire