Home
Posted By: jackmountain Roasted poblano’s - 06/27/21
Fresh out the garden and was grilling burgers so threw it on.
It was good but what’s the best way? Season them?
Posted By: gsganzer Re: Roasted poblano’s - 06/28/21
I've done them two ways:
Cut into strips and deseeded along with a sweet onion and tossed with olive oil, worcestershire and fajita seasoning. Cook in a grill pan on the grill. We put these in beef and chicken fajitas.

The other is to cook on a hot grill until the skin blackens. Let cool then peel the skin off, chop and deseed. These are good in a grilled corn, poblano and avocado salad, with some chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, red onion, honey and lime juice.,
Posted By: GregW Re: Roasted poblano’s - 06/28/21
Char the hell outta them, skin off, garlic salt on. Rest.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Roasted poblano’s - 06/28/21
Originally Posted by GregW

Ditto!

Burgers, add to Chile stews, nacho or hot dog topping, eggs, etc.
Oops, double tap. Sorry...
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Roasted poblano’s - 06/28/21
I char them over an open flame, grill or gas range burner, then toss them in a plastic sack for 15 minutes or so to soften and loosen the skin.

I do all peppers the same way. Just red bells, roasted, then blended with sour cream, S&P, and a bit of garlic is killer.
Posted By: erich Re: Roasted poblano’s - 06/28/21
double post
Posted By: erich Re: Roasted poblano’s - 06/28/21
Poblanos have a thin tender skin and work well for cooking without having to sweat the skins off.

I use them for chili rellenos when I'm in a hurry, plus they tend to be milder than Anaheim chilis.

I use them for stuffed peppers as they are more flavorful than bell peppers. Slit down the side and fill.

Sliced and fried with equal amounts of onion and mushroom make a great side for grilled steaks.

My goto breakfast is dice poblanos and onions sautéed with onions and when they are partially done I break a couple eggs over them and cook until the white are solid and the yokes are still runny.

Chilis are a staple in this house, we do get into some arguments though as my daughter and granddaughter live in Pueblo and we live near Hatch.
Posted By: jackmountain Re: Roasted poblano’s - 06/29/21
Originally Posted by MadMooner
I char them over an open flame, grill or gas range burner, then toss them in a plastic sack for 15 minutes or so to soften and loosen the skin.

I do all peppers the same way. Just red bells, roasted, then blended with sour cream, S&P, and a bit of garlic is killer.

Dice the peppers into the sour cream or blended?
Got a bunch coming on and Chile replenish is top of the list for some.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Roasted poblano’s - 06/29/21
Put the roasted and peeled pepper flesh in a blender with seasoning. Liquid from the peppers too. Stir the purée into the SC.
Put the roasted and peeled pepper flesh in a blender with seasoning. Liquid from the peppers too. Stir the purée into the SC.

Use it like queso as a dip or a sauce on tacos? Sounds really good.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Roasted poblano’s - 06/29/21
Work great in mac'n chesse too.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Roasted poblano’s - 06/29/21
Typically serve with beef like a prime rib. A cold condiment along the lines of horseradish.

Add cumin or hot sauce and it’d be killer with pork or chicken. Whatever floats your boat. Just a real simple sauce with lots of flavor and possibilities.
Typically serve with beef like a prime rib. A cold condiment along the lines of horseradish.

Add cumin or hot sauce and it’d be killer with pork or chicken. Whatever floats your boat. Just a real simple sauce with lots of flavor and possibilities.

Thanks for the post. I’ll definitely be dedicating a few I
harvest to trying it. First year. Always grown red and green bell, pimento, banana and jalapeño. First year for poblano’s.
Posted By: 4th_point Re: Roasted poblano’s - 06/29/21
I char them on a grill, then put them in a bowl and cover for a bit. Then remove the skin and seeds, after they've softened. Slice or chop as needed.

Don't be afraid to use them raw either. I like various peppers for dipping, similar to chips.
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Roasted poblano’s - 06/29/21
Got a recipe post around here somewheres.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Posted By: robertham1 Re: Roasted poblano’s - 06/29/21
Fats is that a Chile relleno casserole?

Whatever it is, find that dammed recipe
Originally Posted by robertham1

Second that
Posted By: 30338 Re: Roasted poblano’s - 06/29/21
Gardening at 6700 foot elevation, my jalapenos are about 3/8" long right now just for reference. I am way behind the crowd.

That casserole looks great. I do cheat and buy a bushel of roasted chilis from a stand each year.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Roasted poblano’s - 06/30/21
What they were built for.

Chiles Rellenos.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Roasted poblano’s - 06/30/21
Originally Posted by FatCity67
Got a recipe post around here somewheres.

Fats, that looks heavenly.
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Roasted poblano’s - 07/01/21

Originally Posted by jackmountain

Second that

Yes and I posted the recipe in this subforum somewheres. If I get the time ill try and track it down.
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Roasted poblano’s - 07/01/21
Ok make a copy. Added to recipe sticky thread.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...nights-supper-dinner-was-is#Post15894468

Posted By: MadMooner Re: Roasted poblano’s - 07/01/21
Thanks Fats!

I actually made a casserole last night after drooling at that picture you posted. It was before you posted your recipe, so I winged it. 😁

I roasted 8 anahiems(no poblanos at the store) and 5 or tomatoes.

I cooked the tomatoes down with some garlic, jalapeño, and an onion. Seasoned with cumin, chili, oregano, S&P. Made a kinda ranchero sauce.

I layered up lasagna style in a 8x11.

Little sauce on the bottom, layer of corn tortilla, layer of roasted peppers, layer of shredded beef, cheddar and cortina cheeses, more sauce, tortilla, roasted peppers, more sauce and topped the whole thing with a half dozen eggs scrambled with a bunch of cheddar and cotija.

Came out pretty damn good!
Posted By: antlers Re: Roasted poblano’s - 10/02/21
I made the chile relleno casserole that FatCity67 posted. Absolutely spectacular combination of flavors. I used Pueblo chiles and I omitted the flour. It was easy. I used more cheese too. This is one of my new favorites. Thanks for posting that recipe.
I’d put em’ directly on the rack in an oven preheated to at least 450 degrees. Leave em’ in long enough for the skin to start charring and bubbling up. Turn em’ over and do the same thing to the other side. Once all of the skin is kinda charred and bubbled up, take em’ out and let em’ cool just enough to handle with your bare hands. Peel all of the skin off of em’. Cut the stem end off and slit the pepper lengthwise, carefully remove all of the seeds...this is easily done under running water...try not to tear the pepper itself. Then use those meaty baby’s however you want to. This works great with Anaheim’s and other bigger chiles too.
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Roasted poblano’s - 10/02/21
Glad you enjoyed it antlers. I've been trying to get the wife to make it with other types of chiles but she won't budge.

I know I've mentioned this in other postings but when the wife's recipe says pasilla she really means poblano.
I think it’d be dynamite with Anaheim’s too.
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Roasted poblano’s - 10/04/21
I'm going to try that recipe, looks great.

I like making boats out of Poblanos and stuff with warmed black beans and then put on medium hot grill over indirect heat and top with some cotija.

Also like to add them to my coleslaw with a lime cilantro vinegrette. Adds a peppery bite to the slaw.
© 24hourcampfire