Home
Posted By: 4th_point Hatch chile season - 08/08/21
Los Roast in Portland has roasting sessions, and a dude in Hillsboro is selling roasted chiles for $3/pound.

I bought some Hatch chiles at Fred Meyer's for $1/pound. Roasted some for pork chile verde, and going to roast and freeze the rest.

Roasted chiles smell amazing!
Posted By: LouisB Re: Hatch chile season - 08/08/21
Roasted Green makes a dandy Venison Green Chili Stew.
Coupla fresh made Flour Tortillas and one has a fine cool weather meal.
Obviously cool weather is a ways off.
Posted By: gsganzer Re: Hatch chile season - 08/08/21
I just made hatch hamburgers the other day. Some hatch chili venison stew sounds good.
Posted By: add Re: Hatch chile season - 08/08/21
Grilled up a batch of Hatch last night.

The aromatics are outstanding.
Posted By: antlers Re: Hatch chile season - 08/09/21
Do y’all scrape off that clear skin that separates from the meat of the chile after they’re roasted...? I do, and I like em’ better without it.
Posted By: 4th_point Re: Hatch chile season - 08/09/21
Yes, I remove that skin before cooking with the chiles.
Posted By: 4th_point Re: Hatch chile season - 08/09/21
Albertson's here have Hatch peppers for $1/pound. Looked better than the ones at Fred Meyer's.
Posted By: gsganzer Re: Hatch chile season - 08/09/21
I just bought 2 pounds of them. Planning to make a hatch chili pork stew from a recipe I found on allrecipes.com
Posted By: JefeMojado Re: Hatch chile season - 08/09/21
Always get mine in southern Arizona, Hatch is just the name of a town, they grow the same variety of chile we grow in Az, and I sure as hell have never tasted a difference? I usually buy two sacks (60 pounds) roasted, take home, let cool enough to handle, then bag and freeze, they last all year until the next sept, but are gone by then. When thawed for use, rinse under water and the skin slips right off and chile is as good as the day you bagged it.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Hatch chile season - 08/10/21
Never see them here.

Loved them when I lived in the White Mountains. Actually bought some from a fellow whose family raises them in..............Hatch, NM.

Medium ones are great for most folks...............I love the hot variety too.

I may have to make a trip to the big town up the road and add them to the list of things I'd like to get while there. Maybe they have some at the Freddie's or Albertson's
Posted By: SandBilly Re: Hatch chile season - 08/10/21
Originally Posted by antlers
Do y’all scrape off that clear skin that separates from the meat of the chile after they’re roasted...? I do, and I like em’ better without it.

I

I leave it on when freezing, helps protect against freezer burn. They peal easier too after frozen.
Posted By: SandBilly Re: Hatch chile season - 08/10/21
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Never see them here.

Loved them when I lived in the White Mountains. Actually bought some from a fellow whose family raises them in..............Hatch, NM.

Medium ones are great for most folks...............I love the hot variety too.

I may have to make a trip to the big town up the road and add them to the list of things I'd like to get while there. Maybe they have some at the Freddie's or Albertson's

Hatch Chile store, kinda pricey but they have a cross named Lumbre. Spicy....
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Hatch chile season - 08/10/21
tag
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Hatch chile season - 08/11/21
I brought back a bunch from NM last fall. Still working through them.
Posted By: erich Re: Hatch chile season - 08/11/21
I live in the next town from Hatch and have them all the time, I have a fine grate on the side burner of my grill just for blistering chilis. Blister them over an open flame just enough to peel them that way the meat still has some crisp to it, split them open and remove the seed, small split if your going to stuff them for rellenos or all the way down the side for Green Chili Cheeseburgers , be sure to use a good Kaiser roll or sourdough roll instead of pukie packaged buns. I like to stuff my tamales with a chnk of chili and a piece of duck breast or pork.when I make them.

Sparkies in Hatch has great Green Chili Cheeseburgers grilled on open pecan wood fires.
Posted By: RNF Re: Hatch chile season - 08/22/21
Hatch peppers just now making it to our supermarkets here is SE OK. I picked up 35 lbs last week and now they are in vac. sealed bags in the freezer roasted, skinned and deseeded.

I have already had some Green Chili Stew and Cheeseburgers with hatch chili's. Hope I have enough to last till next year.
Posted By: MD521 Re: Hatch chile season - 08/22/21
I buy them fresh and hang them outside to dry with a Ristra. Works great and they last a long time hanging in the pantry after they are dried.
Posted By: LouisB Re: Hatch chile season - 08/23/21
Properly roasted the skin will pretty well just slide off with a little pressure.
Improperly/poorly roasted or wilted peppers will teach you a whole nother vocabulary.

If one runs out during the year there are some sources that will ship them frozen . . .

Expensive but what else is there.
Posted By: 4th_point Re: Hatch chile season - 08/23/21
Originally Posted by JefeMojado
I usually buy two sacks (60 pounds) roasted, take home, let cool enough to handle, then bag and freeze, they last all year until the next sept, but are gone by then. When thawed for use, rinse under water and the skin slips right off and chile is as good as the day you bagged it.

Originally Posted by SandBilly
Originally Posted by antlers

I leave it on when freezing, helps protect against freezer burn. They peal easier too after frozen.

This year I tried it with the skins left on when frozen. I roasted some two week ago, made some pork chile verde, and froze the rest of the peppers. Thawed some this week and the skins came off easy. And I think they taste a lot better than the stuff in a jar. I like 505 for what it is, but it still has a processed funky taste.
Posted By: 4th_point Re: Hatch chile season - 09/19/21
Just thawed some chiles for my chili. Skins slipped right off, then chopped. Great stuff. The 505 is convenient but I love those chiles roasted at home.

Local farm has Anaheim pepper variety. Thinking about roasting those.
Posted By: BeanMan Re: Hatch chile season - 12/07/21
Originally Posted by JefeMojado
Always get mine in southern Arizona, Hatch is just the name of a town, they grow the same variety of chile we grow in Az, and I sure as hell have never tasted a difference? I usually buy two sacks (60 pounds) roasted, take home, let cool enough to handle, then bag and freeze, they last all year until the next sept, but are gone by then. When thawed for use, rinse under water and the skin slips right off and chile is as good as the day you bagged it.

Yup, ‘Hatch’ is a region but not a chile. I’ve been using the Mosca chile from Rocky Ford, it is a variety of chile with thicker walls.
© 24hourcampfire