Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Los Roast in Portland has roasting sessions, and a dude in Hillsboro is selling roasted chiles for $3/pound.

I bought some Hatch chiles at Fred Meyer's for $1/pound. Roasted some for pork chile verde, and going to roast and freeze the rest.

Roasted chiles smell amazing!

GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Roasted Green makes a dandy Venison Green Chili Stew.
Coupla fresh made Flour Tortillas and one has a fine cool weather meal.
Obviously cool weather is a ways off.

Last edited by LouisB; 08/08/21.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I just made hatch hamburgers the other day. Some hatch chili venison stew sounds good.

A
add Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Grilled up a batch of Hatch last night.

The aromatics are outstanding.

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Do y’all scrape off that clear skin that separates from the meat of the chile after they’re roasted...? I do, and I like em’ better without it.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Yes, I remove that skin before cooking with the chiles.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Albertson's here have Hatch peppers for $1/pound. Looked better than the ones at Fred Meyer's.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I just bought 2 pounds of them. Planning to make a hatch chili pork stew from a recipe I found on allrecipes.com

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Always get mine in southern Arizona, Hatch is just the name of a town, they grow the same variety of chile we grow in Az, and I sure as hell have never tasted a difference? I usually buy two sacks (60 pounds) roasted, take home, let cool enough to handle, then bag and freeze, they last all year until the next sept, but are gone by then. When thawed for use, rinse under water and the skin slips right off and chile is as good as the day you bagged it.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Never see them here.

Loved them when I lived in the White Mountains. Actually bought some from a fellow whose family raises them in..............Hatch, NM.

Medium ones are great for most folks...............I love the hot variety too.

I may have to make a trip to the big town up the road and add them to the list of things I'd like to get while there. Maybe they have some at the Freddie's or Albertson's

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by antlers
Do y’all scrape off that clear skin that separates from the meat of the chile after they’re roasted...? I do, and I like em’ better without it.

I

I leave it on when freezing, helps protect against freezer burn. They peal easier too after frozen.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Never see them here.

Loved them when I lived in the White Mountains. Actually bought some from a fellow whose family raises them in..............Hatch, NM.

Medium ones are great for most folks...............I love the hot variety too.

I may have to make a trip to the big town up the road and add them to the list of things I'd like to get while there. Maybe they have some at the Freddie's or Albertson's

Hatch Chile store, kinda pricey but they have a cross named Lumbre. Spicy....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
tag

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I brought back a bunch from NM last fall. Still working through them.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I live in the next town from Hatch and have them all the time, I have a fine grate on the side burner of my grill just for blistering chilis. Blister them over an open flame just enough to peel them that way the meat still has some crisp to it, split them open and remove the seed, small split if your going to stuff them for rellenos or all the way down the side for Green Chili Cheeseburgers , be sure to use a good Kaiser roll or sourdough roll instead of pukie packaged buns. I like to stuff my tamales with a chnk of chili and a piece of duck breast or pork.when I make them.

Sparkies in Hatch has great Green Chili Cheeseburgers grilled on open pecan wood fires.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
R
RNF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Hatch peppers just now making it to our supermarkets here is SE OK. I picked up 35 lbs last week and now they are in vac. sealed bags in the freezer roasted, skinned and deseeded.

I have already had some Green Chili Stew and Cheeseburgers with hatch chili's. Hope I have enough to last till next year.

A gun in the hand is worth more than the entire police force on the phone.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I buy them fresh and hang them outside to dry with a Ristra. Works great and they last a long time hanging in the pantry after they are dried.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Properly roasted the skin will pretty well just slide off with a little pressure.
Improperly/poorly roasted or wilted peppers will teach you a whole nother vocabulary.

If one runs out during the year there are some sources that will ship them frozen . . .

Expensive but what else is there.

Last edited by LouisB; 08/22/21.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JefeMojado
I usually buy two sacks (60 pounds) roasted, take home, let cool enough to handle, then bag and freeze, they last all year until the next sept, but are gone by then. When thawed for use, rinse under water and the skin slips right off and chile is as good as the day you bagged it.

Originally Posted by SandBilly
Originally Posted by antlers

I leave it on when freezing, helps protect against freezer burn. They peal easier too after frozen.

This year I tried it with the skins left on when frozen. I roasted some two week ago, made some pork chile verde, and froze the rest of the peppers. Thawed some this week and the skins came off easy. And I think they taste a lot better than the stuff in a jar. I like 505 for what it is, but it still has a processed funky taste.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Just thawed some chiles for my chili. Skins slipped right off, then chopped. Great stuff. The 505 is convenient but I love those chiles roasted at home.

Local farm has Anaheim pepper variety. Thinking about roasting those.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

617 members (10Glocks, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 222Sako, 21, 12344mag, 60 invisible), 2,423 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,412
Posts18,470,447
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.