Home
Posted By: Chumleyhunts Salmon Filet Ideas - 02/12/22
Was gifted a few salmon filets and planning them for dinner. Going to do one in our tried and true, brown sugar, maple syrup, soy sauce mix. Looking to try something different with the other. Broccoli/Cauliflower salad and some form of sliced/baked sweet potatoes are my planned sides. Just family dinner, no special occasion
Posted By: Boarmaster123 Re: Salmon Filet Ideas - 02/12/22
I eat a lot of salmon. Im always trying new seasonings on them. Last night I was able to buy a very nice thick piece. I baked it with nothing but sea salt and fresh ground pepper. I got to admit it was pretty dang good. I had it with some white and wild rice and a salad.
Posted By: gsganzer Re: Salmon Filet Ideas - 02/12/22
I marinate them in McCormick Grillmate garlic, herb and wine marinade and cook them on a water soaked cedar plank.
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Salmon Filet Ideas - 02/12/22
Salt, pepper and hot fire works well.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Salmon Filet Ideas - 02/12/22
Originally Posted by TimberRunner

My #1 way.

I like the taste of sockeye, so eschew 😆 sauces and marinades.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Salmon Filet Ideas - 02/12/22
S&P and hot coals!

I’ve eaten a lot of salmon with the longhorn style marinade- brown sugar, soy, whiskey, pineapple juice, garlic, etc…. It’s good.

Fresh salmon I like to keep simple. Johnny’s seasoning is good stuff on salmon. It’s the local season all.
Posted By: Judman Re: Salmon Filet Ideas - 02/12/22
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by TimberRunner

My #1 way.

I like the taste of sockeye, so eschew 😆 sauces and marinades.

👍
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Salmon Filet Ideas - 02/16/22
Good Salmon doesn't need much seasoning. Just some heat and smoke.
Wish could get some fresh King here.
The stuff we can buy in the store. I season with salt, garlic powder, Paul Prudhomme's Seafood Magic. And then cook it on a smokey fire or a soaked plank.
Posted By: jackmountain Re: Salmon Filet Ideas - 02/16/22
Dijon mustard mixed with equal part of lemon juice brushed over a filet. Slices of lemon, sprigs of fresh dill and sprinkled with capers.
So damn good it’s not funny.
Posted By: jackmountain Re: Salmon Filet Ideas - 02/16/22
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
Good Salmon doesn't need much seasoning. Just some heat and smoke.
Wish could get some fresh King here.
The stuff we can buy in the store. I season with salt, garlic powder, Paul Prudhomme's Seafood Magic. And then cook it on a smokey fire or a soaked plank.

The redfish magic is damn good. We blacken redfish, speckled trout, rockfish with it. Blacken some prime rib with it too.
Posted By: 358Norma_fan Re: Salmon Filet Ideas - 02/16/22
Get you some Johnny's salad and pasta elegance.

season generously, spritz some lemon juice and bake or BBQ to a medium rare state.
Make twice as much as you think you'll eat because its that damn good.
Posted By: Berksbowman Re: Salmon Filet Ideas - 03/12/22
Poached salmon is also quite tasty! Water, white wine, lemon juice, fresh herbs. Brings to a boil. Turn down and drop your salmon in and let it simmer till done. 145-150 degrees internal. Take out and squeeze with fresh lemon.
Posted By: Joebe Re: Salmon Filet Ideas - 03/30/22
My favorite is to blanch and peel a tomato, take out the seeds and chop, add to mayo, fresh dill, salt and pepper. Sprinkle white wine over the fillet and let sit for about 30 minutes. Dry off. Start meat side down on grill. Flip when crusted slather with sauce and close the lid. When the top of the may starts to brown it's done. Always a huge hit with my family
Posted By: auk1124 Re: Salmon Filet Ideas - 03/30/22
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Dijon mustard mixed with equal part of lemon juice brushed over a filet. Slices of lemon, sprigs of fresh dill and sprinkled with capers.

Mustard is great with salmon. We mix Dijon with whole grain mustard 50-50, and use it as a dipping sauce. Delicious.
Posted By: Terryk Re: Salmon Filet Ideas - 03/31/22
I bake with fruit jelly glaze on the top sometimes. 10 minutes before it is done, I'll toss lemon slices on top. Simple, and unique.

Another unique method is topping the salmon with twice baked potato. Again 10 minutes before it is done I'll add some shredded cheese to the top.

I also do fresh chopped dill and lemon zest on top. I then coat with panko, and let that bake. Panko pushes that flavor into the salmon.

We try to eat salmon one a week, so I try to mix it up.

If i have a lot of salmon, I'll make cured salmon for bagels. I put salmon in a sugar/salt brine for 30-60 minutes, then into a cold light wood smoke for max 30 minutes, For the brine I often add maple syrup or lemon or orange zest. That process needs the salmon to rest and absorb the flavor for a day or two. Salmon really absorbs flavors, so often less is more. Still need salmon to be the number 1 taste.

I really, really try to have fresh salmon. Frozen salmon looses "it" in my opinion.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Salmon Filet Ideas - 03/31/22
Originally Posted by auk1124
Originally Posted by jackmountain

Mustard is great with salmon. We mix Dijon with whole grain mustard 50-50, and use it as a dipping sauce. Delicious.

Dijon and grape jelly is the "plum sauce" served by the Double Muskie with their coconut salmon. It does not suck!
Posted By: Esox357 Re: Salmon Filet Ideas - 04/03/22
Blackened,

oil, salt, and pepper

Maple syrup brown sugar glaze ect.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Salmon Filet Ideas - 04/03/22
Originally Posted by Terryk
I bake with fruit jelly glaze on the top sometimes. 10 minutes before it is done, I'll toss lemon slices on top. Simple, and unique.

Another unique method is topping the salmon with twice baked potato. Again 10 minutes before it is done I'll add some shredded cheese to the top.

I also do fresh chopped dill and lemon zest on top. I then coat with panko, and let that bake. Panko pushes that flavor into the salmon.

We try to eat salmon one a week, so I try to mix it up.

If i have a lot of salmon, I'll make cured salmon for bagels. I put salmon in a sugar/salt brine for 30-60 minutes, then into a cold light wood smoke for max 30 minutes, For the brine I often add maple syrup or lemon or orange zest. That process needs the salmon to rest and absorb the flavor for a day or two. Salmon really absorbs flavors, so often less is more. Still need salmon to be the number 1 taste.

I really, really try to have fresh salmon. Frozen salmon looses "it" in my opinion.

I do not even cook a salmon fillet for 10 minutes total
© 24hourcampfire