Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Was gifted a few salmon filets and planning them for dinner. Going to do one in our tried and true, brown sugar, maple syrup, soy sauce mix. Looking to try something different with the other. Broccoli/Cauliflower salad and some form of sliced/baked sweet potatoes are my planned sides. Just family dinner, no special occasion

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, used up, worn out, bottle of Jim Beam in one hand and a .45 in the other, loudly proclaiming WOW-- What a Ride!"
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I eat a lot of salmon. Im always trying new seasonings on them. Last night I was able to buy a very nice thick piece. I baked it with nothing but sea salt and fresh ground pepper. I got to admit it was pretty dang good. I had it with some white and wild rice and a salad.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I marinate them in McCormick Grillmate garlic, herb and wine marinade and cook them on a water soaked cedar plank.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Salt, pepper and hot fire works well.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by TimberRunner

My #1 way.

I like the taste of sockeye, so eschew 😆 sauces and marinades.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S&P and hot coals!

I’ve eaten a lot of salmon with the longhorn style marinade- brown sugar, soy, whiskey, pineapple juice, garlic, etc…. It’s good.

Fresh salmon I like to keep simple. Johnny’s seasoning is good stuff on salmon. It’s the local season all.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by TimberRunner

My #1 way.

I like the taste of sockeye, so eschew 😆 sauces and marinades.

👍

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Good Salmon doesn't need much seasoning. Just some heat and smoke.
Wish could get some fresh King here.
The stuff we can buy in the store. I season with salt, garlic powder, Paul Prudhomme's Seafood Magic. And then cook it on a smokey fire or a soaked plank.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Dijon mustard mixed with equal part of lemon juice brushed over a filet. Slices of lemon, sprigs of fresh dill and sprinkled with capers.
So damn good it’s not funny.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
Good Salmon doesn't need much seasoning. Just some heat and smoke.
Wish could get some fresh King here.
The stuff we can buy in the store. I season with salt, garlic powder, Paul Prudhomme's Seafood Magic. And then cook it on a smokey fire or a soaked plank.

The redfish magic is damn good. We blacken redfish, speckled trout, rockfish with it. Blacken some prime rib with it too.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Get you some Johnny's salad and pasta elegance.

season generously, spritz some lemon juice and bake or BBQ to a medium rare state.
Make twice as much as you think you'll eat because its that damn good.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Poached salmon is also quite tasty! Water, white wine, lemon juice, fresh herbs. Brings to a boil. Turn down and drop your salmon in and let it simmer till done. 145-150 degrees internal. Take out and squeeze with fresh lemon.

J
J
My favorite is to blanch and peel a tomato, take out the seeds and chop, add to mayo, fresh dill, salt and pepper. Sprinkle white wine over the fillet and let sit for about 30 minutes. Dry off. Start meat side down on grill. Flip when crusted slather with sauce and close the lid. When the top of the may starts to brown it's done. Always a huge hit with my family

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Dijon mustard mixed with equal part of lemon juice brushed over a filet. Slices of lemon, sprigs of fresh dill and sprinkled with capers.

Mustard is great with salmon. We mix Dijon with whole grain mustard 50-50, and use it as a dipping sauce. Delicious.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bake with fruit jelly glaze on the top sometimes. 10 minutes before it is done, I'll toss lemon slices on top. Simple, and unique.

Another unique method is topping the salmon with twice baked potato. Again 10 minutes before it is done I'll add some shredded cheese to the top.

I also do fresh chopped dill and lemon zest on top. I then coat with panko, and let that bake. Panko pushes that flavor into the salmon.

We try to eat salmon one a week, so I try to mix it up.

If i have a lot of salmon, I'll make cured salmon for bagels. I put salmon in a sugar/salt brine for 30-60 minutes, then into a cold light wood smoke for max 30 minutes, For the brine I often add maple syrup or lemon or orange zest. That process needs the salmon to rest and absorb the flavor for a day or two. Salmon really absorbs flavors, so often less is more. Still need salmon to be the number 1 taste.

I really, really try to have fresh salmon. Frozen salmon looses "it" in my opinion.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by auk1124
Originally Posted by jackmountain

Mustard is great with salmon. We mix Dijon with whole grain mustard 50-50, and use it as a dipping sauce. Delicious.

Dijon and grape jelly is the "plum sauce" served by the Double Muskie with their coconut salmon. It does not suck!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Blackened,

oil, salt, and pepper

Maple syrup brown sugar glaze ect.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Terryk
I bake with fruit jelly glaze on the top sometimes. 10 minutes before it is done, I'll toss lemon slices on top. Simple, and unique.

Another unique method is topping the salmon with twice baked potato. Again 10 minutes before it is done I'll add some shredded cheese to the top.

I also do fresh chopped dill and lemon zest on top. I then coat with panko, and let that bake. Panko pushes that flavor into the salmon.

We try to eat salmon one a week, so I try to mix it up.

If i have a lot of salmon, I'll make cured salmon for bagels. I put salmon in a sugar/salt brine for 30-60 minutes, then into a cold light wood smoke for max 30 minutes, For the brine I often add maple syrup or lemon or orange zest. That process needs the salmon to rest and absorb the flavor for a day or two. Salmon really absorbs flavors, so often less is more. Still need salmon to be the number 1 taste.

I really, really try to have fresh salmon. Frozen salmon looses "it" in my opinion.

I do not even cook a salmon fillet for 10 minutes total

Last edited by Sitka deer; 04/03/22.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

78 members (Anaconda, 35, 33sixSS, 907brass, 300_savage, 8 invisible), 1,432 guests, and 930 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,758
Posts18,476,412
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.