Home
Posted By: Esox357 Best fish fry mix? - 05/30/22
Caught a bunch of crappies and a few walleyes, now looking for a good fish fry mix. Got some canola oil and a presto fryer ready to go. Thanks

https://i.postimg.cc/XJdMzx3x/20220529-180200.jpg
Posted By: flintlocke Re: Best fish fry mix? - 05/30/22
I don't know where you are from, but out west we have a brand, "Pride of the West", available most everywhere that is just outstanding. High content of rice flour in the blend. Mixes well with 7 Up, beer, or wine if you lean that way.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Best fish fry mix? - 05/30/22
"Shore Lunch"
Posted By: TheKid Re: Best fish fry mix? - 05/30/22
Louisiana brand in the blue bag. The yellow and orange bag flavors are a waste of money but the blue is good. It’s a very fine ground cornmeal with Cajun spices. I prefer to add a tablespoon of Old Bay for each bag of Louisiana but it’s good the way it comes out of the bag too.

Another good trick is to soak your fish in 50/50 yellow mustard and Allaga or Louisiana hot sauce for about 2 hours before you dredge it in cornmeal or Louisiana fish fry. Maybe the best way ever to prepare lower class fish like channel or blue cats.
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Best fish fry mix? - 05/30/22
I’ll use zatarains or Louisiana fish fry.

Or Tony’s. Whatever the store has really.

Then add some Cajun seasoning to it.
Posted By: Esox357 Re: Best fish fry mix? - 05/30/22
Thanks guys
Posted By: gkt5450 Re: Best fish fry mix? - 05/30/22
Seriously, that mustard thing will sure take the whang out of a lot of fish. We especially do so w sand bass(white bass) and channel cats. Go neutral in taste but that vinegar base make a big improvement to us. YMMV.
Posted By: TheKid Re: Best fish fry mix? - 05/30/22
Yea it will. I don’t use it for any of the “premium” fish we have around here, walleye/saugeye, crappie, or flatheads. But stuff that’s not bad but not the firm pure white flesh like sandbass, blues, or channels it really improves them.

I’m putting together stuff for a fish fry this evening. Made twice baked potatoes yesterday that will go back in the oven. Going to put a light beer batter on some jalapeño strips. And I just finished trimming and chunking a big flathead filet, it’ll get rolled in Louisiana before a trip through the hot oil. Mom has a big bunch of vinegar coleslaw she whipped up and maybe a cobbler for dessert. Should be good feed for the holiday.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Best fish fry mix? - 05/30/22
Are you asking about deep fat, or pan frying?

A good friend uses cornflake crumbs for pan frying.
Thinking deep frying this time
Friend Keith battering, and cooking fish.[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Looks delicious
It was. laugh
Keith uses beer, club soda, or a little baking soda will work as well.
Posted By: Judman Re: Best fish fry mix? - 05/30/22
My go to.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Sometimes use panko too👊🏻
Posted By: Wannabebwana Re: Best fish fry mix? - 05/30/22
Dunno if you can find it in the US, but this is all I use.

Posted By: specialK Re: Best fish fry mix? - 05/30/22
Marinated in Franks red hot and then battered with seasoned flour.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Best fish fry mix? - 05/31/22
I simply make up some 50/50 flour and yellow corn meal with a bit of Old Bay to taste. It can then be either a dry coating or a batter; both work fine.

Went on an annual trip to a high-altitude cold water reservoir in Utah last week. Brought home five nice smallmouth to three pounds. Pan-fried those fillets on two nights, once as fillets and once as tacos. Fabulous.
Posted By: DLALLDER Re: Best fish fry mix? - 05/31/22
Had a big fish fry yesterday for 14 adults and used the tried and true mix!!! 1 cup yellow cornmeal seasoned with 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon black pepper. Did not hear anyone complain. This mixture is what I have used for 50 plus years, primarily on crappie but works on catfish also.
Posted By: CWT Re: Best fish fry mix? - 05/31/22
The best fried fish is breaded not battered. Battered fried fish sucks. But I am from the south so I am biased.
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: Best fish fry mix? - 05/31/22
No one uses cracker meal for frying fish?
Posted By: BRISTECD Re: Best fish fry mix? - 05/31/22
Corn meal and some salt
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Best fish fry mix? - 05/31/22
Zatarains is darn good if it's for sale in your area.
Posted By: jmp300wsm Re: Best fish fry mix? - 05/31/22
I tried the McCormick beer batter and it was great
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Best fish fry mix? - 05/31/22
No idea what's best, that would require testing every single one
available.

Not doing that, we are happy with this.

Posted By: super T Re: Best fish fry mix? - 05/31/22
I have used and liked Tempura batter mix for deep frying, especially for the more delicate fish.
Andy's, but I don't seem to be able to find it anymore.
Posted By: jackmountain Re: Best fish fry mix? - 06/01/22
House Autry is my go to.
Nothing better I’ve tried. Fresh rockfish (striped bass) out of the Chesapeake, mix ketchup and Texas Pete 50/50 to dip it in and lots of ice cold beer. Kings could do no better.
Posted By: atvalaska Re: Best fish fry mix? - 06/01/22
I buy my McCormick beer batter by the case ......enough said
Posted By: jpex59 Re: Best fish fry mix? - 06/01/22
yellow cornmeal, salt, old bay, tony chachere's or cajun seasoning. store bought I like Louisiana fish fry.
Posted By: lynntelk Re: Best fish fry mix? - 06/01/22
I confess to being from West Texas. When were fry fish for a large group, we pour 1 gallon of Texas Pete hot sauce into a large bowl. We dip the fish into the bowl then dredge into seasoned cornmeal and fry. The final result is not hot but only aids in keeping the cornmeal to stay on the fish when frying.
Posted By: srwshooter Re: Best fish fry mix? - 06/08/22
There is a whole isle in the grocery store that has great choice of flavors for frying fish that most never think about trying. The potato chip isle. Pick any flavor you like
Posted By: FishN4Eyes Re: Best fish fry mix? - 06/08/22
Another vote for Andy's. The best there is in my opinion.

I order it on Amazon but here is a link as well.

The Andy's red is my favorite but I use the yellow as well.

https://www.andysseasoning.com/product/andys-red-fish-breading/
Posted By: JimHnSTL Re: Best fish fry mix? - 06/09/22
Originally Posted by eaglemountainman
Andy's, but I don't seem to be able to find it anymore.
This ^^^^^^^^
It is made here in St. Louis and is my go to.
The best part besides how good it is ……. It’s cheap
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Best fish fry mix? - 06/10/22
I have had a lot of people tell me my fried fish is the best they have ever had. I season the fish in a big ziplock bag with creole seasoning, generously, onion and garlic powder, paprika, and black pepper. Shake the fish up to coat evenly then add Martha White Yellow corn meal mix. and shake up to coat evenly. Deep fried fish can take more spice than most people realize without being over seasoned. People that watch me do it the first time comment that I am overseasoning the fish till they try it.
Posted By: ribka Re: Best fish fry mix? - 06/12/22
Originally Posted by CWT
The best fried fish is breaded not battered. Battered fried fish sucks. But I am from the south so I am biased.

A light thinner batter with soda water or beer and rice flour is pretty good
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Best fish fry mix? - 06/12/22
I buy the Louisiana brand. Usually mix a cajun and crispy together. The New Orleans style one is a bit much though.

Usually soak fish in milk before frying.
Posted By: JimHnSTL Re: Best fish fry mix? - 06/12/22
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
I have had a lot of people tell me my fried fish is the best they have ever had. I season the fish in a big ziplock bag with creole seasoning, generously, onion and garlic powder, paprika, and black pepper. Shake the fish up to coat evenly then add Martha White Yellow corn meal mix. and shake up to coat evenly. Deep fried fish can take more spice than most people realize without being over seasoned. People that watch me do it the first time comment that I am overseasoning the fish till they try it.
While I love my Andy’s this sounds intriguing. Might have to give it a go just to sooth my curiosity.
Posted By: Boarmaster123 Re: Best fish fry mix? - 06/12/22
I just had catfish and slaw. I use 2/3 yellow corn meal and 1/3 flour. I add salt and pepper or some kind of cajun seasoning. Today I used Slap ya Momma. Egg wash first then dredge in the breading. I used to use House Autry in LA and SC but Publix my grocery here in FL doesnt carry it. I occasionally made a beer batter breading but mostly the type fish I fry I use my corn meal flour mix.
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Best fish fry mix? - 06/13/22
Originally Posted by ribka
Originally Posted by CWT

A light thinner batter with soda water or beer and rice flour is pretty good

Yep, we even use tempura batter, so light, so crunchy !
Posted By: jackmountain Re: Best fish fry mix? - 06/16/22
House Autry for us. We prefer the “hot”.
Their hush puppy mix is damn good too.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Best fish fry mix? - 06/16/22
For me? Half flour, half corn meal, a little salt, a bit of baking powder, water, what's left from breading the fish, shape into balls, and fry!
Posted By: Dude270 Re: Best fish fry mix? - 06/19/22
I used the red bag of Louisiana fish fry, I think it was called Cajun, tonight on a bunch of spadefish filets. It was excellent.

These were the first spadefish I've fried, damn they were good.
Posted By: Judman Re: Best fish fry mix? - 06/19/22
Wth is spadefish? Pics? Ya it’s my favorite, Grey cod, ling, halibut, damn good stuff. Nice and light. 👊🏻
Posted By: Dude270 Re: Best fish fry mix? - 06/19/22

They are very similar to triggerfish. I'm pretty sure spadefish are an Atlantic thing, Jud.

We hammered them the other day fishing a wreck off of Chincoteague.

They were great eating
Posted By: Judman Re: Best fish fry mix? - 06/19/22
Oh ya, never seen one. Thanks for posting 👍
Posted By: Esox357 Re: Best fish fry mix? - 06/20/22
Tried the cornmeal and flour mix, turned out good but not much flavor. I used old bay, lemon, and cocktail sauce and it turned out great. I will try to locate the House Autry mix next fry. Thanks.
Posted By: baldhunter Re: Best fish fry mix? - 06/20/22
I like Pioneer corn meal.I mix 8 cups of corn meal and 3 cups of whole wheat flour.I don't season my corn meal mix,I season the fish.When you cook the fish,the juices of the fish are cooked out and in the process it seasons the fish breading.You use a lot less seasoning this way.I like to mix a raw egg in the raw seasoned fish before I bread it.
Posted By: Esox357 Re: Best fish fry mix? - 06/21/22
Thanks for the tip Baldhunter
Posted By: ld7009 Re: Best fish fry mix? - 08/30/22
zatarains Crispy southern. Won’t find better
Posted By: Farming Re: Best fish fry mix? - 09/01/22
Originally Posted by jmp300wsm
I tried the McCormick beer batter and it was great
A friend cooked some awhile back using this,turned out pretty damn good![Linked Image from i.imgur.com] Truth is there’s a lot of good stuff out there, but if the oil isn’t the right temp it will turn out like sheet.
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Best fish fry mix? - 09/01/22
Blue box Louisiana. Mix this w Louisiana Cajun is good too.

Tried Andy's once but way too salty. Uncle Bucks from BPS wasn't bad the few times I had it.

Homemade, flour, cornmeal and seasoning.

Sometimes drag fish through a milk & egg mixture and sometimes not before breading.

Sometimes soak in beer for a bit before breading.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Best fish fry mix? - 09/01/22
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

Tried Andy's once but way too salty. Uncle Bucks from BPS wasn't bad the few times I had it.

Sometimes drag fish through a milk & egg mixture and sometimes not before breading.

What kind of fish?
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

What kind of fish?
Crappie, walleye, spoonbill, catfish, white bass. Smaller largemouth.

Nuts too. Even drag spuds through fish fry at times. Gives em a little crunch.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Best fish fry mix? - 09/01/22
Sounds like you have a nice variety of fish down there.

I bought a jar of oysters the other day and dipped them in Pride Of the West batter mix.

You mix it with water....but I reckon it would be okay with beer too.
I normally use a dry breading, just how we do it. Rinse fish, pat dry then into breading which is normally in a big zip lock or larger bowl w lid. Toss a few pieces in, shake them up, then into the hot oil.

Don't dry much when I soak em in beer. Out of the beer soak and into the bag or bowl to be coated.

Have used a beer batter a few times though.

I have also put fillets in a large bowl, squeezed a schitt load of mustard in work em around til coated good with mustard then shake em in the cornmeal type fry. Doesn't add a ton of mustard flavor but does put a little bit more of a crispy coating on them.

May help the cousin move this weekend but we are thinking about trying to squeeze a small fish fry in.

Will get you some pics.
Posted By: 4th_point Re: Best fish fry mix? - 09/01/22
Originally Posted by Hogwild7

I have screwed up fish and chicken when I did not use enough salt or spice. So I'm with you on the fact that it can handle more than some realize! I don't know anything about Martha White though.
Posted By: rdobrow Re: Best fish fry mix? - 09/01/22
Golden dipt and about 40% crushed Panko mixed together. Panko in a bag run rolling pin over to crush, makes killer breading!
My uncle takes corn flakes, crushes the pizz out of them and drags his fish through an egg/milk mix then coats the filets with the crushed corn flakes.

Very good coating.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Best fish fry mix? - 09/02/22
My uncle takes corn flakes, crushes the pizz out of them and drags his fish through an egg/milk mix then coats the filets with the crushed corn flakes.

Very good coating.

What ever you do.....don't accidentally reach for the Frosted Flakes!
Posted By: jmp300wsm Re: Best fish fry mix? - 09/03/22
McCormick tempura is very good as well very light and crispy.
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Best fish fry mix? - 09/03/22
Originally Posted by jackmountain
House Autry for us. We prefer the “hot”.
Their hush puppy mix is damn good too.
https://www.amazon.com/House-Autry-Medium-Breader-2-lb/dp/B00IF4621E

??
Posted By: himmelrr Re: Best fish fry mix? - 09/03/22
2 c flour
2 c bread crumbs (or corn meal)
6-10 Tblsp Lawrys Season Salt depending on taste
2 Tblsp Garlic Powder
2 Tblsp Onion powder
2 Tblsp Cayenne Pepper powder (more if you like spicy)
2 Tblsp Black pepper

Mix is all together. Bread fish with preferred style…egg wash, batter slurry etc.
Posted By: rdobrow Re: Best fish fry mix? - 09/05/22
half golden dipt and crushed pancko after dampening. after cooking cool on raised rack to prevent sogginess on bottom. Dick
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Best fish fry mix? - 09/06/22
I won't say best, a friend does fish with corn flake crumbs.
Posted By: krp Re: Best fish fry mix? - 09/06/22
I use a coffee grinder to grind soda crackers into a fine flour, then mix half and half with regular flour for a base. Season the fish with salt/pepper, you can add Louisiana mix into it a bit or old bay, whatever you like, soak in buttermilk or egg/milk wash. Lots of ways... but start with cracker/flour.

You can beat crackers in a baggie but it will still have some bigger pieces and they wont stay on the fish when cooking, in camp you do whatever it takes.

Kent
Posted By: chris_c Re: Best fish fry mix? - 09/06/22
I use the following and bread them in this and deep fry

2 Cups Bisquick
1 cup flour
1/2 cup cornmeal
1/2 tbsp. Black pepper
1/2 tbsp. Cayenne pepper
1/2 tbsp. onion powder
1/2 tbsp. Italian seasoning
1 Tbsp Garlic powder
1 Tbsp Paprika
1 Tbsp Popcorn salt
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Best fish fry mix? - 09/06/22
Why do people think they need to fry fish? I'll never understand it. Just adds calories, sodium, carbs.
Posted By: chris_c Re: Best fish fry mix? - 09/08/22
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Why do people think they need to fry fish? I'll never understand it. Just adds calories, sodium, carbs.

Because it tastes so good
Posted By: fuzzytail Re: Best fish fry mix? - 09/15/22
Originally Posted by lynntelk
I confess to being from West Texas. When were fry fish for a large group, we pour 1 gallon of Texas Pete hot sauce into a large bowl. We dip the fish into the bowl then dredge into seasoned cornmeal and fry. The final result is not hot but only aids in keeping the cornmeal to stay on the fish when frying.
Now you talking....
Posted By: atvalaska Re: Best fish fry mix? - 09/16/22
Originally Posted by chris_c

Because it tastes so good
crunch to .....yum, eat with your ears !

Is there any other way to eat fish thats worth a damn??

Ok grilled salmon is good.

But FFS, fried fish is by far and away the best
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Best fish fry mix? - 09/17/22
Originally Posted by Beretta_Shooter916

Is there any other way to eat fish thats worth a damn??

Ok grilled salmon is good.

But FFS, fried fish is by far and away the best

Horseschit
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Best fish fry mix? - 09/17/22
I likes fried fishes.

I likes raw fishes.....and baked fishes...and steamed fishes.....and poached fishes....
Posted By: 79S Re: Best fish fry mix? - 09/17/22
I likes fried fishes.

I likes raw fishes.....and baked fishes...and steamed fishes.....and poached fishes....

Ok Bubba
Hehehe.....

That's about it.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Best fish fry mix? - 09/17/22
Hehehe.....

That's about it.

Didn't know they had sushi and sashimi out there on the plains.

😀
Hehehe.....

That's about it.

Didn't know they had sushi and sashimi out there on the plains.

😀

They imported a bunch of yellow types to the big town to the west.

They don't speaka much Engrish.....but they make decent "white people" sushi and sashimi!
© 24hourcampfire