Home
A full Brisket has been my weak spot, Don’t really have the ideal equipment for a 14 or 16 hour cook,

Here’s what I have, A 22 inch Weber Kettle grill and a Masterbuilt electric smoker,

Last attempt with the Weber was with charcoal using the snake method, I’ve used the snake method before but for some reason that night with the Packer the snake did not burn as expected, it went out half way around, not sure why but snake bit (pun) about doing that again.

So, 5 or 6 hours in the Weber, 275 is possible with all vents closed I believe, and then finish off in the Electric?

Interior rack space of the Electric is limited, about 12 by 14 inches, so there’s that issue.

Or look into a faster higher cook time?

Is 8 hours in the Weber doable? I’ve seen a few videos using higher and quicker temps, just don’t seem right…

looking for ideas folks, thinking about getting a pellet smoker, But they seem to appease half of their owners also.
Dumb Ass,

Use the Weber to get your smoke. You can easily get and keep a Weber at 250. You can also maintain that temp even longer by adding charcoal.

But since you’re too fugking dumb to figure that out, wrap and finish in an oven.

You don’t do the snake method to test a brisket. You use the fork method.

Now throw this information in the trash like you always do and go make your dog schit brisket.
Originally Posted by deflave
Dumb Ass,

Use the Weber to get your smoke. You can easily get and keep a Weber at 250. You can also maintain that temp even longer by adding charcoal.

But since you’re too fugking dumb to figure that out, wrap and finish in an oven.

Now throw this information in the trash like you always do and go make your dog schit brisket.

LOL, you are something……

I used the snake method with the charcoal to cook the brisket, not test it.

You can add more charcoal? Damn, they really should have directions on those Kingsford bags…………..
The snake will work. Might have to re-stock more charcoal in the middle or near the end of the cook.
Originally Posted by Kenneth
Dumb Ass,

LOL, you are something……

You can add more charcoal? Damn, they really should have directions on those Kingsford bags…………..

Pellet smokers are for gay men.

Which means you really need a pellet smoker.

LOL
[quote=deflave]Dumb Ass,

LOL, you are something……

Pellet smokers are for gay men.

Which means you really need a pellet smoker.

LOL

Well then, which pellet smoker do you have?

Be really cool to have the same smoker has my pal ‘flaver……….

LOL.
But seriously, lets say 15 lb Packer,

Weber @ 275ish

How many cook hours?

Or 300, 8 to 10 hours possible?

Ain’t into overnight cooks.

Weber @ 275ish

How many cook hours?

If you ain't into overnight cooks or 2 AM wakeups, don't cook a packer unless you want to learn the hot method of cooking briskets which isn't what you are asking about until this post.

You can cook brisket hot for sure but the meat tells you when it's done not your schedule. At 275-300 I'd give it 40-55 minutes a pound but meat quality is [bleep] on average these days and cooking times are all over the place....
Get up at 4 am and put it on . Go back to bed
I have a Lang smoker. I have tried all the stop gap measures. A good smoker is your friend.

Weber @ 275ish

How many cook hours?

LMAO.

Stick to Johnsonville, retard.
I smoke mine at about 225 for about 3-4 hours until I get the color I want, then I wrap and finish until I hit 195 internal temp. Let it rest at least 1 hour (longer is better) and then slice and enjoy. It usually take me about 8 or 9 hour to smoke a whole brisket

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Hard to find a full Packer around here. All the stores want to trim all the fat off.
The way a lot of stores trim them (or at least the ones I have seen) will make them hard to smoke without drying them out. Also they want crazy money per pound for the "trimmed" ones
i have cooked plenty beef briskets i prefer now to use a white church type oven cooker at 180 degrees for 6 -8 hrs. when meat reaches 165-170 degrees i put on a plate to cool for hour or so wrap up. when i start meat in the cooker meat is on a grate with fat side up , i put 1/2 inch water under it with some liquid smoke in water and a little on top of brisket too .my seasonings on the Brisket is onion salt ,fresh ground pepper, paprika , plenty worchester sauce .i put small red tatoes and carrots in the 1/2 inch of water and above on the top of brisket lots of cabbage leaves maybe a head or two cut up. then when we are ready to eat i will slice the meat like real thick bacon and enjoy ! my briskets are from my Angus beef corn fed small pen beef , my briskets might not look as pretty as a grilled one but it taste better and is tender pink and rare and never burned either .
A packer brisket is two different muscles commonly called the point and the flat. In competition the point is generally used only for burnt ends and the flat is the main slicing part of the brisket. So my question is why are you so intent on cooking a whole packer on the very basic equipment, rather buy a nice flat that will accommodate your Webber?
Originally Posted by FLPanhandle
A packer brisket is two different muscles commonly called the point and the flat. In competition the point is generally used only for burnt ends and the flat is the main slicing part of the brisket. So my question is why are you so intent on cooking a whole packer on the very basic equipment, rather buy a nice flat that will accommodate your Webber?

Legit question, Hard to find a shop that sells only the flat, Then last time after considerable driving to a butcher shop that would sell a flat, they wrapped it in back and handed it to me, got home and found the flat completely trimmed, I actually created a post here about this event maybe 2 years ago,

Anyway I did smoke that flat and it was ‘ok’…. Some more fat would most likely have helped and honestly I don’t know if I bought a select, choice or prime….Then the kicker was the price I recall 7 or 8 bucks a lb for the flat when whole packers were only about 3 bucks a lb,

Seem to make more sense to buy the whole packer for the same price of the smaller flat with less fat and less flavor.

So I bought a whole packer and has I said above middle of the night my charcoal for some reason went out, managed to save the brisket but lots of tacos if you know what I mean…….

So, looking for the redemption tour on a whole packer, could do a flat again and specifically state I ‘ll trim it…..

Dunno, it’s the challenge and the eternal quest for a really good brisket that drives us….
Buy a full packer and split the point and the flat yourself and cook separately...........or smoke the flat and grind the point into burger.
I;m not against the idea of splitting the packer and cook each individually,

But have little interest in grinding anything.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
What a fugkin' moron.

LOL
The Weber grill is great for brisket- and simple even people like me who hate babysitting charcoal. I have used the Modified Minion method, developed by Jim Minion a serious barbecue circuit competitor.

My cookbook, Tenderize the Wild has a two page, lots of photos spread on how to do it, but simply put, you start by closing all the bottom vents but one, and that one only half open. Then place 5 dozen unlit briquettes on that side of the grill and aluminum roasting pan on the other side with an inch or so of water. Brisket will sit over the pan.
Then start 18 briquettes in a chimney starter, let them go until covered with white ash (about 30 minutes) and scatter across the 5 dozen briquettes you didn't start up.

Put your wood chips on top of that. Put the cooking grate in and cover the grill. Close all but one vent on top, kitty corner from the half open vent on bottom. Leave that top vent half open as well.

From there, you just wait till the smoke rises, and the temperature is a steady 200-250F, adjusting the top and bottom vent to raise or lower the temp. Take your time with this step, you've got hours and hours of heat. (It helps to have a jelly thermometer with a long sensor so you don't have to lift the lid.) Place the brisket over the roasting pan, with the water. After a couple of hours, I wrap the brisket in aluminum foil, with 1 cup of half apple cider and half apple cider vinegar to keep it moist while finishing. FYI I've done this with water buffalo brisket, moose brisket, elk brisket and beef brisket. It always works.
Pages 100 and 102 in Tenderize the Wild, www.riflesandrecipes.com, also includes the pre-smoking brine which is tasty as well. And simple.
If you are serious about smoking pick you up a Weber Smokey Mountain, or something built for smoking. Rub Bagby and Pitmasters of his caliber could render a winning packer on a Weber Grill, but that is pushing the envelope for the average weekender.
Look on Heathrilesbbq.com - he had a brisket recipe listed that might work on a grill - he was using a pellet grill. Good Luck
Originally Posted by Leenie3freezers
The Weber grill is great for brisket- and simple even people like me who hate babysitting charcoal. I have used the Modified Minion method, developed by Jim Minion a serious barbecue circuit competitor.

My cookbook, Tenderize the Wild has a two page, lots of photos spread on how to do it, but simply put, you start by closing all the bottom vents but one, and that one only half open. Then place 5 dozen unlit briquettes on that side of the grill and aluminum roasting pan on the other side with an inch or so of water. Brisket will sit over the pan.
Then start 18 briquettes in a chimney starter, let them go until covered with white ash (about 30 minutes) and scatter across the 5 dozen briquettes you didn't start up.

Put your wood chips on top of that. Put the cooking grate in and cover the grill. Close all but one vent on top, kitty corner from the half open vent on bottom. Leave that top vent half open as well.

From there, you just wait till the smoke rises, and the temperature is a steady 200-250F, adjusting the top and bottom vent to raise or lower the temp. Take your time with this step, you've got hours and hours of heat. (It helps to have a jelly thermometer with a long sensor so you don't have to lift the lid.) Place the brisket over the roasting pan, with the water. After a couple of hours, I wrap the brisket in aluminum foil, with 1 cup of half apple cider and half apple cider vinegar to keep it moist while finishing. FYI I've done this with water buffalo brisket, moose brisket, elk brisket and beef brisket. It always works.
Pages 100 and 102 in Tenderize the Wild, www.riflesandrecipes.com, also includes the pre-smoking brine which is tasty as well. And simple.

Good stuff, Thanks, John?

Who the heck is leenie3frezers?
Eileen Clarke is John’s wife, detective.
Oh, well then thanks Eileen,

‘’Doh!
I'd smoke it in the Weber around 250 until you hit the stall. Approx 160 IT. Then I'd wrap in butcher paper, fat cap down, and place it in a foil pan, then into a 300 degree oven for the finish. Adjust temp as necessary. Probe tender is when it's done. Let it rest until it comes back down to 150-160 IT.

I'm also a fan of injecting briskets. I like Big Poppa Smokers Cattleprod.
Sorry FC67, I should have introduced myself. And there's no need to get an oven involved, unless the ambient air temp isn't cooperating. The Minion method lasts longer than you'll need to get the brisket cooked.
Eileen Clarke--leenie3freezers
Kenneth,

I anxiously await your fugking this up.

LOL
Kenneth,

I anxiously await your fugking this up.

LOL

Ya, me too,

lotta pressure on this one……..
Ya, me too,

lotta pressure on this one……..

Your safety net will be the fact you live in Wisconsin.

Nobody there knows WTF a good brisket tastes like anyway.
I have used the Primo XL for maybe 15 years now, fitted with a BBQ Guru temp controller it is just simple. Put em on at 225°, get to the stall at 160°ish, wrap in butcher paper go to 212° let rest (at least an hour in a cooler wrapped in foil and towels, eat. I normally put them on about 9 PM, get to the stall next morning, hit final temp about noon, let rest, ready to eat in the afternoon. Let the meat tell you when it is done.

I do a couple a year for my son who grew up in Ft. Worth and likes good brisket. I prefer Boston butts, which is just so simple in the Primo, or good fat ribs. With the Guru I can keep better temp stability than my electric oven and the heat is outside.
Last weekend I folded under all the pressure being put on me, skipped the brisket and did a chuck roast.

Not worth the time nor effort,

When the hell did a chuck roast hit 8 bucks a lb?
Last weekend I folded under all the pressure being put on me, skipped the brisket and did a chuck roast.

Not worth the time nor effort,

When the hell did a chuck roast hit 8 bucks a lb?

Shocking.
Ever do that brisket, Kenneth? I’m gonna try one.
© 24hourcampfire