Home
Posted By: greenomics Meat grinder deal - 12/14/22
Good price on a 1 hp grinder at Sierra Trading. I just bought one.

https://www.sierra.com/weston-pro-series-12-meat-grinder~p~75mnt/?filterString=s~grinder%2F&merch=prod-rec-prod-prod75MNT
Posted By: RatherBHuntin Re: Meat grinder deal - 05/09/23
Keep us updated on how you like it come hunting season. A #12 is usually a 3/4hp. If so, it’s a decent price but not outstanding.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Meat grinder deal - 05/09/23
We apologize for the inconvenience! This product is currently sold out!
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Meat grinder deal - 05/09/23
I remember when some of the men out in the German enclave near home got together to make sausage. Things were delayed when Otto stumbled backward and sat on the meat grinder, causing them to get a little behind in their work.
Posted By: KillerBee Re: Meat grinder deal - 05/09/23
This is the one I bought years ago. I have done many deer with it as well as several moose, which it blows through with no problem.

I only paid $114.00 for it on Amazon, now they cost $225.00. I would recommend that when you make your purchase make sure it is at least 3000 Watts, minimum!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Meat grinder deal - 05/09/23
I ma best Aussie accent;

"That's not a knife, this is a knife" !

wink
Posted By: KillerBee Re: Meat grinder deal - 05/09/23
What did that beast run you, how many Watts?

When I do my grinding I have a 12 Pack minimum on the table lol smile
Posted By: WeimsnKs Re: Meat grinder deal - 05/15/23
Originally Posted by KillerBee
I only paid $114.00 for it on Amazon, now they cost $225.00. I would recommend that when you make your purchase make sure it is at least 3000 Watts, minimum!

3000 watts is 4hp
Posted By: KillerBee Re: Meat grinder deal - 05/15/23
Originally Posted by WeimsnKs

3000 watts is 4hp

Thanks for the knowledge, I didn't know that.

What I do know is that it blows through an entire Moose, or an Elk lickety-split, and is all I will ever need. For $114.00 you simply can not go wrong.

smile
Posted By: LouisB Re: Meat grinder deal - 05/15/23
Info posted already by others.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Meat grinder deal - 05/15/23
Will it stuff sausages?
Posted By: willycc Re: Meat grinder deal - 05/21/23
I don’t know how they do their ratings but that grinder is not 4 hp
Posted By: WeimsnKs Re: Meat grinder deal - 05/22/23
Originally Posted by willycc

I looked it up, 3000w locked rotor. Ya gotta love the Marketing grey area
Posted By: RatherBHuntin Re: Meat grinder deal - 06/22/23
A buddy has one like that that is made of cheap metal. Metal shavings come off in the meat and it creates a gray colored material from the friction of parts rubbing together and ends up having to pick it out of the meat. Never buy anything labeled in “watts”.
And they are usually so loud, you need earplugs to operate them comfortably. And I suggest getting something that is at least a size 12 grinding tube.
Posted By: RatherBHuntin Re: Meat grinder deal - 06/22/23
Originally Posted by willycc

Absolutely right.
Posted By: Snowwolfe Re: Meat grinder deal - 06/22/23
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
I ma best Aussie accent;

wink

Cool set up! Do you form the balls to the weight you want then stuff them in the vac bags and form into shape by hand?
Posted By: rcamuglia Re: Meat grinder deal - 06/23/23
This is the one I bought years ago. I have done many deer with it as well as several moose, which it blows through with no problem.

I ma best Aussie accent;

wink

Those are cute. Get back to me when you get an L-800!

🤣

Posted By: KillerBee Re: Meat grinder deal - 06/23/23
There are all kinds of expensive grinders out there. Why spend the money if you don't have to? I was looking at one cost that $5,000.00 vs. mine at $114.00, that does everything it needs to do.

Savings = $4886.00

or 2 Hawaiian Vacations

or 113 - 60 oz bottles of good Whisky cool
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Meat grinder deal - 06/23/23
Yes, 2lb balls into vac bag, flatten after sealing !
Originally Posted by rcamuglia

🤣

Yeah, but guessing you have more "commercial" applications, than I do, Rick !

I only make 30-40lbs of burger 2 or 3 times a year.

grin
Posted By: rcamuglia Re: Meat grinder deal - 06/23/23

🤣

grin

I know that Paul. It was just my “That’s not a knife! This is a knife!” Trump card

😂

🤣

grin

I know that Paul. It was just my “That’s not a knife! This is a knife!” Trump card

😂

laugh
Posted By: bucktail Re: Meat grinder deal - 06/23/23
Wattage and hp ratings are pretty subjective if it isn't running hp.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Meat grinder deal - 06/24/23
Originally Posted by bucktail
Wattage and hp ratings are pretty subjective if it isn't running hp.
Developed hp versus running can be up to seven times actual hp and generally relates to the start-up electric flow caused by the windings in the starter coil.

As has been said, that is not a 4hp motor.
Posted By: Snowwolfe Re: Meat grinder deal - 06/24/23

A friend had one likes yours. It worked. But to say you could blow through meat would be very optimistic. The tray only held about 3 pounds of meat plus the meat had to be cut into small pieces, which added to the time spent. The grinder was very noisy and very slow compared to any quality 3/4 hp or bigger grinder. If the meat was not closely trimmed it would bog down often requiring it to be disassembled and the grinding plates cleaned often.
Posted By: KillerBee Re: Meat grinder deal - 06/24/23
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe

A friend had one likes yours. It worked. But to say you could blow through meat would be very optimistic. The tray only held about 3 pounds of meat plus the meat had to be cut into small pieces, which added to the time spent. The grinder was very noisy and very slow compared to any quality 3/4 hp or bigger grinder. If the meat was not closely trimmed it would bog down often requiring it to be disassembled and the grinding plates cleaned often.

Well, all I can tell you Snowwolfe, is that mine does blow through a moose without any issues whatsoever, so I have to disagree. There is a way to put the meat through my type of grinder quickly, without having to cut the meat into small pieces. I cut my meat into LONG STRIPS, not small pieces, which allows for a continuous flow.

I am NOT a restauranteur, I am a meat hunter and I butcher all of my animals personally, and I am excellent at butchering since I have been butchering and grinding all of my own meat for over 30+ years. I do not like anyone but me handling my animals. I hate the thought of butchers mixing my animals that I take special care of in the field to perfection, with other uneducated hunter's animals. To me, handling meat correctly definitely starts in the bush, right after you kill the critter. When I come home from my hunts, my meat is very clean without grass or twigs on it because I take my time in the bush to make sure it's done right.

On a typical year, I use it for 1 moose and three deer, plus some pork I grind myself when there is a great sale on Pig. Although mine has all of the attachments to do sausage, I prefer to go to my 3rd generation Ukrainian Sausage Maker because I will never be able to produce the quality sausage that he makes. I have seen a lot of hunters f-up and waste great venison trying to make their own homemade sausage which is 3rd rate at best, and that is being generous, compared to a professional sausage maker.

I could care less about the noise it makes, I just turn up the music louder while I drink great Canadian beer while I grind and butcher.

Would I recommend mine for a restaurant that is grinding meat on a daily basis, not a chance, it is by no means a commercial grinder! I would however highly recommend mine for a hunter like me that only does a few animals a year.

Also, here is a great tip for people that want to start grinding their own animals without having to pay butchers to do it for them:

If you are turning shoulders or trimmings into burger meat, which I do, do not use Pork Fat, use Beef Fat. Pork fat goes rancid quickly in the freezer and changes the flavor of your venison, whereas beef fat does not, beef fat is a superior alternative. I typically strive for an 80/20 blend in my burger.

Happy grinding Snowwolfe.
Posted By: Snowwolfe Re: Meat grinder deal - 06/24/23
A quality grinder will grind 25 pounds of meat as fast as my wife and I can feed it. Easily less than 5 minutes and that includes refilling the tray.
Guess we are at opposite ends of this debate. We prefer pork fat and mix at 85/15. We occasionally find a pack of burger 2-3 years old and it tastes as good as stuff only a month old.
We make all our burger and sausage including breakfast and Italian.
Happy hunting.
Posted By: KillerBee Re: Meat grinder deal - 06/25/23
Have you tried Beef fat from AAA Red Alberta Angus? I recommend giving it a try, better than Pig Fat by a country mile.

Happy hunting to you too Snowwolfe, I hope you have a great hunting season with lots of fine venison to show for your efforts cool
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Meat grinder deal - 06/25/23
Have you tried Beef fat from AAA Red Alberta Angus? I recommend giving it a try, better than Pig Fat by a country mile.

Happy hunting to you too Snowwolfe, I hope you have a great hunting season with lots of fine venison to show for your efforts cool
I doubt you can find a single butcher to agree with your lard versus tallow argument....

How is cutting long strips better than small chunks?
Posted By: Snowwolfe Re: Meat grinder deal - 06/25/23

No, I have not tried that fat. Our local super market provides us with all the fat we need for free. We just have to call them up and tell them if we want beef or pork and how much. In 2 days we go pick it up.
Posted By: KillerBee Re: Meat grinder deal - 06/25/23
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
I doubt you can find a single butcher to agree with your lard versus tallow argument....
How is cutting long strips better than small chunks?

As I mentioned, (I do not believe I said better), cutting long strips allows for continuous flow, it also reduces the amount of knife work and having to use the plunger. Give it a try and you will see what I mean.

Everyone has their own way of doing things, I am not opposed to any method, my method works for me.

No, I have not tried that fat. Our local super market provides us with all the fat we need for free. We just have to call them up and tell them if we want beef or pork and how much. In 2 days we go pick it up.

Free is good!

I have spent a lot of time in Florida because my mother lived in West Palm Beach for many years. The flavor of beef in the USA is different than Canadian beef, the color of the fat is also different I have noticed. The difference IMO is that in Alberta, beef is finished with either barley or rye, and in the USA the beef is finished with corn.

I applaud all hunters that do their own butchering and especially hunters like you that have mastered the art of sausage making.

I have saved myself thousands of dollars by not paying butchers and doing the butchering myself, I actually look forward to doing it.
Posted By: rcamuglia Re: Meat grinder deal - 06/25/23
KB is correct about cutting long strips of meat for the reason he states. That’s exactly what we do when grinding pork or chuck, and exactly what I do with game.

I cut 10% fat into the last elk I ground and used pork fat. It seems to be fine. On the other hand, one of my friends uses beef fat and a higher percentage in all his game (elk, deer, bighorn etc) and I think it’s better. Will be using beef fat from now on.

He used to be a butcher BTW

👍🏼
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Meat grinder deal - 06/25/23
Get a big enough grinder and you don't have to mess with cutting a particular way.
The meat has to be cut into long strips the diameter of which has to fit into the hopper’s hole
That may be but trim isn't always in long neat strips.
Of course not.

I’m talking about boning a quarter dedicated to grind.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Meat grinder deal - 06/25/23
Hamburgers get beef fat; sausage gets pork fat, here.

YMMV
Posted By: Snowwolfe Re: Meat grinder deal - 06/25/23
Originally Posted by ironbender

YMMV

For sausage we use straight pork butts for making breakfast and Italian sausages. Buy them on sale for $.99 a pound and they are just about the perfect fat/lean ratio at roughly 30/70. Add the seasonings and you are good to go.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Meat grinder deal - 06/25/23
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

My grinder is bigger.......pathetic!

We have ground deer in the Kitchen Aid attachment.
It taught me to cut in straps. And did great work, but was slowwww.
Ours is the bowl lift type with a bigger motor, the small ones might get hot.

Found a 3/4hp #12 older Cabella's on Market Place.
Can drop 1"steaks cut from pork butts into it. At a nice steady pace.
Beats the hell out of the mixer attachment, but I don't "need" it to grind stuff.

Unless I want to grind a moose.
Moose skew the meat universe!😁
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Beats the hell out of the mixer attachment, but I don't "need" it to grind stuff.

I believe some cheap assed Pennsylvania Dutch would do that.

YMMV

For sausage we use straight pork butts for making breakfast and Italian sausages. Buy them on sale for $.99 a pound and they are just about the perfect fat/lean ratio at roughly 30/70. Add the seasonings and you are good to go.

Yes. Do not trim!
Of course not.

I’m talking about boning a quarter dedicated to grind.

If you were starting with a roast I guess so.

Seems pretty slow though.
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Meat grinder deal - 06/25/23
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

YMMV

Yes. Do not trim!
And do not add beef or pork to wild game.
Posted By: bucktail Re: Meat grinder deal - 06/25/23
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

A guy from work burned out his kitchenaid grinding an elk. Kitchenaid replaced it under warranty but he went to a dedicated grinder.
Posted By: MadDog4298 Re: Meat grinder deal - 06/25/23
We have ground a ton of deer with a couple hand grinders going. It’s slow and we would have to trim most of the silver skin off before grinding. Then went to a small electric LEM around the size of Killer Bee’s and still use it for small jobs but when we want to grind a bunch I take it over to a buddys 3hp commercial grinder, it’s a beast and it just hums along.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Meat grinder deal - 06/26/23
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Would, did, would again.
I'm cheap, not Amish which is what folks think is PA Dutch.
But am of German ancestry, the origin of the PA Dutch thing.

If I was an Eskimo, my wife would pre-chew my steak!
Posted By: KillerBee Re: Meat grinder deal - 06/26/23
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Would, did, would again.

Would she use Listerine first? Don't know if they sell that in the Arctic Circle 🤣
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Meat grinder deal - 06/26/23
At the cabin we have a hand grinder, clamp it the Jobmate.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Meat grinder deal - 06/26/23
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Would, did, would again.

I knew that. That's why I called you a cheap no good Pennsylvania Dutch!
Posted By: ironbender Re: Meat grinder deal - 06/26/23

YMMV

I do the same w shoulders. But, I don’t think the shoulders I get are 30%. Really don’t leave grease in the skillet. Sausage, IMO, needs the fat.
Posted By: Snowwolfe Re: Meat grinder deal - 06/27/23

YMMV

I do the same w shoulders. But, I don’t think the shoulders I get are 30%. Really don’t leave grease in the skillet. Sausage, IMO, needs the fat.

Pork butts come from the shoulders. Why they call them butts is beyond me.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Meat grinder deal - 06/27/23
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Would, did, would again.

I knew that. That's why I called you a cheap no good Pennsylvania Dutch!

Now what a Damn minute you First American!
I might be Pa Dutch, definitely am cheap, but I'm not No Good.
The world needs bad examples, I fill the role well!😁
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Meat grinder deal - 06/27/23

YMMV

Because they used to salt pack them in wooden barrels, called Butts.
Back in wood ships and sails days.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Meat grinder deal - 06/27/23

YMMV

Yes. I use pork butt, Boston butt, and shoulder interchangeably.

YMMV

Because they used to salt pack them in wooden barrels, called Butts.
Back in wood ships and sails days.
Common explanation, but apparently a debatable one.

Skepticism of the "Boston Butt"

The New York Times and other reputable publications have repeated this story, but common sense should make us skeptical. Can you think of any other food named for its shipping container name?

There are plenty of historical problems with this explanation, too. For starters, Virginia and North Carolina, not New England, were the centers of the pork trade in the 18th century until eclipsed by Cincinnati in the 1830s and then by Chicago. I have searched high and low but cannot find a single printed use of the term "Boston butt" in the colonial era or even before the Civil War.

Other Geographically-Names Cuts

The term originated in the late 19th century, as railroads transformed the commercial meat packing industry from regional to national. Butchers in different parts of the country had slightly different ways of carving up pigs and cows. Other states and cities lent their names to various cuts as national packers standardized butchering. Thus we have New York Strip steaks and St. Louis-style ribs—another favorite of Southern barbecue cooks.

The pork shoulder originally had several other geographically-named cuts. In the meatpacking trade, the Kansas City Sun reported in 1892, "careful requirements are formulated for standard sweet pickled hams and shoulders, New York shoulders, Boston shoulders, California hams, skinned hams, pickled bellies, etc."

According to agriculture journals and meat cutter manuals from the early 20th century, New York shoulders had the shank "cut off above the knee, trimmed close and smooth, and square at the butt." A "California ham" was not ham at all. It was "well-rounded at the butt, and trimmed as near to the shape of a ham as possible." This latter cut was also known as the "picnic" (for reasons I've been unable to discover), and that term is now the standard for the lower part of the pork shoulder.

Agricultural Terminology

As the use of "butt" in these agricultural manuals suggests, the name of the Boston-style cut had nothing to do with shipping containers. Consider the butt of a rifle or a cigar butt. Either crafty Bostonians were putting all sorts of things in barrels and shipping them south, or "butt" was simply a generic term for, as Merriam-Webster phrases it, "the large or thicker end part of something"—the pork shoulder, in this case.

Boston didn't have a monopoly on butts, either. The 1912 Bulletin of the Agricultural Experiment Station of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign observed, "Milwaukee style butts are the same as Boston butts with the neck bone and rib left on." My research even turned up a passing mention of a "New Orleans cut" of pork shoulder in 1911, but that one never became popular, which is a shame.

https://www.southernliving.com/food/bbq/why-is-it-called-boston-butt
Posted By: KillerBee Re: Meat grinder deal - 06/27/23
Interesting read ironbender, thanks for the education cool
I searched it as I’ve wondered the reason same as snowwolfe.
Posted By: RatherBHuntin Re: Meat grinder deal - 07/02/23

Exactly my friends experience as well.
Posted By: KillerBee Re: Meat grinder deal - 07/03/23
Both of your friends do not know how to use a grinder, is what I am getting out of your posts, just saying.
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Meat grinder deal - 07/03/23

YMMV

Agree. We get leaf lard and grass fed perinephric beef fat from a local farm.

We grind some without fat, but for burger I like 10-15% and sausage/chorizo 25% or so.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Meat grinder deal - 07/03/23
Both of your friends do not know how to use a grinder, is what I am getting out of your posts, just saying.

Shove your Hobby Lobby grinder up your ass.

I would rather shove it up your ass, since you weigh 300+ lbs. it will easily fit. Plus you would probably enjoy it, especially with the feeder attached, Blubber Boy.

By the way, I have killed Giant B&C Black Bears that have a smaller waistline than yours, fatty!
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: Meat grinder deal - 07/03/23
Originally Posted by RatherBHuntin

That looks like an el cheapo grinder. Like Muglia’s enchilada.

I would rather shove it up your ass, since you weigh 300+ lbs. it will easily fit. Plus you would probably enjoy it, especially with the feeder attached, Blubber Boy.

By the way, I have killed Giant B&C Black Bears that have a smaller waistline than yours, fatty!

You haven't done a single thing but tell lies.

Canadian Happy Camper.
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Originally Posted by RatherBHuntin

That looks like an el cheapo grinder. Like Muglia’s enchilada.

No way. They threw out all their Hobarts in Canada and use those now.

Really go through the meat.....
You haven't done a single thing but tell lies.

Canadian Happy Camper.

Lies?

Hey fatty, here is a picture of me sitting on one of my B&C Black Bears.

Here is a recent of me Fishing, notice how slim, handsome, and happy I am compared to you?

Here is you, thinking your beard is hiding your quadruple chin, not working Blubber boy! Gazing at a plate of food that is enough to feed three people no doubt! lol

You are lying sack of shìt that has been run off of every Canadian board there is.

Why not go Happy Camp somewhere else?
Here is one of your plates from one of your own posts, I would like to be of assistance!

That plate of food is enough to feed 3 people where I am from.

Try eating 3 times less than you do, then you will get down to a normal weight, just trying to be helpful Blubber Boy! And easy on that store-bought dressing it's loaded in calories, use 1/3 of that amount, it's supposed to be a salad, not a soup!

You always start these banters fatty, stop addressing me with your negative crap, I give you my word I will never post anything to or about you

OUT!

You working with Cumgargler?

You two cócksuckers have odd taste in spank bank material.

You don't do anything anymore anyway right?

You told those guys you were too old and crippled to hunt.

What guys? Not quite Blubber Boy, in fact, I still hunt and would gladly bet you $1,000.00 if we were elk hunting you would be winded after walking 50 yards uphill. I would be at the top of the hill feeling sorry for you, seriously.

Anyhow I would prefer if you never address me again.

So Go Away, thank you in advance~!
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: Meat grinder deal - 07/03/23
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

What guys? Not quite Blubber Boy, in fact, I still hunt and would gladly bet you $1,000.00 if we were elk hunting you would be winded after walking 50 yards uphill. I would be at the top of the hill feeling sorry for you, seriously.

Anyhow I would prefer if you never address me again.

So Go Away, thank you in advance~!

Fùck off. In one of your many many lies you posted here that you were happy you were so crippled that you wouldn't be able to hunt anymore.

No wonder they ran you off everywhere else.
Posted By: KillerBee Re: Meat grinder deal - 07/04/23
No you Fùck off Blubber Boy, don't forget you started this AGAIN fatty. You need Psychological Help!

Hint, you can start by losing 250 lbs. then maybe you will have some self-esteem, loser.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Meat grinder deal - 07/04/23
We understand why you have been run off everywhere else.

Lying sack of shìt covtard!

Fùck you and your Princess Auto meat "grinder".
Fùck you too FATTY!
What are the other forums you have been kicked off of for lying?
What are the other forums you have been kicked off of for lying?

No, not ever Fatty.

Have you ever been kicked off a site for being an ignorant fat slob?
The real Canadians who are not covtards or Sparklesocks supporters say you have.
The real Canadians who are not covtards or Sparklesocks supporters say you have.

HAHAHAHAHA...................... that's funny fatty, you are sooooooooo funny you remind me of Hardy, you also look like him too lol

Covtard Trudeau supporter.

You were cheering on the govt against those truckers weren't you.
I am a Truedope supporter?

HAHAHAHAHA
Oh yeah.

The covtards all are up north.
Posted By: rcamuglia Re: Meat grinder deal - 07/04/23
Oh yeah.

You’re up north

Are you all swoll up from being a pin cushion?
Oh yeah.

You’re up north

Now a California covtard.

Keep up the fantasy Rickie.
Posted By: 79S Re: Meat grinder deal - 07/04/23
No you Fùck off Blubber Boy, don't forget you started this AGAIN fatty. You need Psychological Help!

Hint, you can start by losing 250 lbs. then maybe you will have some self-esteem, loser.

You still in grade school? And siding with homo boy muglia is doing you know hood as well. Ever since he lost Burns he’s been looking for a new man..
Oh yeah.

You’re up north

Homo alert see you cruising the good section trying to find you new man to replace burns..
Fùck you too FATTY!

Is it true you are a Covid believer??
Posted By: waterrat Re: Meat grinder deal - 07/20/23
I ma best Aussie accent;

wink
This is the exact grinder we have,,,35 years of at least 100lbs of moose and caribou a year,. I have a hard time moving it around these days!
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Meat grinder deal - 07/20/23
Yeah, she's a heavy duty bitch, for sure !!

grin
© 24hourcampfire