Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Those are cute. Get back to me when you get an L-800!

🀣

Yeah, but guessing you have more "commercial" applications, than I do, Rick !

I only make 30-40lbs of burger 2 or 3 times a year.

grin

I know that Paul. It was just my β€œThat’s not a knife! This is a knife!” Trump card

πŸ˜‚

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Those are cute. Get back to me when you get an L-800!

🀣

Yeah, but guessing you have more "commercial" applications, than I do, Rick !

I only make 30-40lbs of burger 2 or 3 times a year.

grin

I know that Paul. It was just my β€œThat’s not a knife! This is a knife!” Trump card

πŸ˜‚

laugh

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Wattage and hp ratings are pretty subjective if it isn't running hp.

If you love someone set them free
If they come back no one else liked them
Set them free again
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bucktail
Wattage and hp ratings are pretty subjective if it isn't running hp.
Developed hp versus running can be up to seven times actual hp and generally relates to the start-up electric flow caused by the windings in the starter coil.

As has been said, that is not a 4hp motor.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by KillerBee
This is the one I bought years ago. I have done many deer with it as well as several moose, which it blows through with no problem.

I only paid $114.00 for it on Amazon, now they cost $225.00. I would recommend that when you make your purchase make sure it is at least 3000 Watts, minimum!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

A friend had one likes yours. It worked. But to say you could blow through meat would be very optimistic. The tray only held about 3 pounds of meat plus the meat had to be cut into small pieces, which added to the time spent. The grinder was very noisy and very slow compared to any quality 3/4 hp or bigger grinder. If the meat was not closely trimmed it would bog down often requiring it to be disassembled and the grinding plates cleaned often.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
This is the one I bought years ago. I have done many deer with it as well as several moose, which it blows through with no problem.

I only paid $114.00 for it on Amazon, now they cost $225.00. I would recommend that when you make your purchase make sure it is at least 3000 Watts, minimum!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

A friend had one likes yours. It worked. But to say you could blow through meat would be very optimistic. The tray only held about 3 pounds of meat plus the meat had to be cut into small pieces, which added to the time spent. The grinder was very noisy and very slow compared to any quality 3/4 hp or bigger grinder. If the meat was not closely trimmed it would bog down often requiring it to be disassembled and the grinding plates cleaned often.

Well, all I can tell you Snowwolfe, is that mine does blow through a moose without any issues whatsoever, so I have to disagree. There is a way to put the meat through my type of grinder quickly, without having to cut the meat into small pieces. I cut my meat into LONG STRIPS, not small pieces, which allows for a continuous flow.

I am NOT a restauranteur, I am a meat hunter and I butcher all of my animals personally, and I am excellent at butchering since I have been butchering and grinding all of my own meat for over 30+ years. I do not like anyone but me handling my animals. I hate the thought of butchers mixing my animals that I take special care of in the field to perfection, with other uneducated hunter's animals. To me, handling meat correctly definitely starts in the bush, right after you kill the critter. When I come home from my hunts, my meat is very clean without grass or twigs on it because I take my time in the bush to make sure it's done right.

On a typical year, I use it for 1 moose and three deer, plus some pork I grind myself when there is a great sale on Pig. Although mine has all of the attachments to do sausage, I prefer to go to my 3rd generation Ukrainian Sausage Maker because I will never be able to produce the quality sausage that he makes. I have seen a lot of hunters f-up and waste great venison trying to make their own homemade sausage which is 3rd rate at best, and that is being generous, compared to a professional sausage maker.

I could care less about the noise it makes, I just turn up the music louder while I drink great Canadian beer while I grind and butcher.

Would I recommend mine for a restaurant that is grinding meat on a daily basis, not a chance, it is by no means a commercial grinder! I would however highly recommend mine for a hunter like me that only does a few animals a year.

Also, here is a great tip for people that want to start grinding their own animals without having to pay butchers to do it for them:

If you are turning shoulders or trimmings into burger meat, which I do, do not use Pork Fat, use Beef Fat. Pork fat goes rancid quickly in the freezer and changes the flavor of your venison, whereas beef fat does not, beef fat is a superior alternative. I typically strive for an 80/20 blend in my burger.

Happy grinding Snowwolfe.

Last edited by KillerBee; 06/24/23.

KB

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
A quality grinder will grind 25 pounds of meat as fast as my wife and I can feed it. Easily less than 5 minutes and that includes refilling the tray.
Guess we are at opposite ends of this debate. We prefer pork fat and mix at 85/15. We occasionally find a pack of burger 2-3 years old and it tastes as good as stuff only a month old.
We make all our burger and sausage including breakfast and Italian.
Happy hunting.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have you tried Beef fat from AAA Red Alberta Angus? I recommend giving it a try, better than Pig Fat by a country mile.

Happy hunting to you too Snowwolfe, I hope you have a great hunting season with lots of fine venison to show for your efforts cool

Last edited by KillerBee; 06/24/23.

KB

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Have you tried Beef fat from AAA Red Alberta Angus? I recommend giving it a try, better than Pig Fat by a country mile.

Happy hunting to you too Snowwolfe, I hope you have a great hunting season with lots of fine venison to show for your efforts cool
I doubt you can find a single butcher to agree with your lard versus tallow argument....

How is cutting long strips better than small chunks?

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

No, I have not tried that fat. Our local super market provides us with all the fat we need for free. We just have to call them up and tell them if we want beef or pork and how much. In 2 days we go pick it up.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
I doubt you can find a single butcher to agree with your lard versus tallow argument....
How is cutting long strips better than small chunks?

As I mentioned, (I do not believe I said better), cutting long strips allows for continuous flow, it also reduces the amount of knife work and having to use the plunger. Give it a try and you will see what I mean.

Everyone has their own way of doing things, I am not opposed to any method, my method works for me.

Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
No, I have not tried that fat. Our local super market provides us with all the fat we need for free. We just have to call them up and tell them if we want beef or pork and how much. In 2 days we go pick it up.

Free is good!

I have spent a lot of time in Florida because my mother lived in West Palm Beach for many years. The flavor of beef in the USA is different than Canadian beef, the color of the fat is also different I have noticed. The difference IMO is that in Alberta, beef is finished with either barley or rye, and in the USA the beef is finished with corn.

I applaud all hunters that do their own butchering and especially hunters like you that have mastered the art of sausage making.

I have saved myself thousands of dollars by not paying butchers and doing the butchering myself, I actually look forward to doing it.

Last edited by KillerBee; 06/25/23.

KB

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
KB is correct about cutting long strips of meat for the reason he states. That’s exactly what we do when grinding pork or chuck, and exactly what I do with game.

I cut 10% fat into the last elk I ground and used pork fat. It seems to be fine. On the other hand, one of my friends uses beef fat and a higher percentage in all his game (elk, deer, bighorn etc) and I think it’s better. Will be using beef fat from now on.

He used to be a butcher BTW

πŸ‘πŸΌ

The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Get a big enough grinder and you don't have to mess with cutting a particular way.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The meat has to be cut into long strips the diameter of which has to fit into the hopper’s hole

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
That may be but trim isn't always in long neat strips.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Of course not.

I’m talking about boning a quarter dedicated to grind.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Hamburgers get beef fat; sausage gets pork fat, here.

YMMV

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by ironbender
Hamburgers get beef fat; sausage gets pork fat, here.

YMMV

For sausage we use straight pork butts for making breakfast and Italian sausages. Buy them on sale for $.99 a pound and they are just about the perfect fat/lean ratio at roughly 30/70. Add the seasonings and you are good to go.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣

My grinder is bigger.......pathetic!

We have ground deer in the Kitchen Aid attachment.
It taught me to cut in straps. And did great work, but was slowwww.
Ours is the bowl lift type with a bigger motor, the small ones might get hot.

Found a 3/4hp #12 older Cabella's on Market Place.
Can drop 1"steaks cut from pork butts into it. At a nice steady pace.
Beats the hell out of the mixer attachment, but I don't "need" it to grind stuff.

Unless I want to grind a moose.
Moose skew the meat universe!😁

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣

My grinder is bigger.......pathetic!

We have ground deer in the Kitchen Aid attachment.
It taught me to cut in straps. And did great work, but was slowwww.
Ours is the bowl lift type with a bigger motor, the small ones might get hot.

Found a 3/4hp #12 older Cabella's on Market Place.
Can drop 1"steaks cut from pork butts into it. At a nice steady pace.
Beats the hell out of the mixer attachment, but I don't "need" it to grind stuff.

Unless I want to grind a moose.
Moose skew the meat universe!😁

I believe some cheap assed Pennsylvania Dutch would do that.

I am MAGA.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (1lessdog, 1936M71, 1800topsoil, 007FJ, 160user, 17CalFan, 60 invisible), 2,624 guests, and 1,318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,692
Posts18,494,091
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.