Home
Posted By: kenacp Venison loin ideas - 01/09/23
Any suggestions for cooking or grilling venison loin (not the backstraps)?
Thanks
Posted By: TheKid Re: Venison loin ideas - 01/09/23
Tenderloins as in Filet Mignon? From inside the cavity and underneath the spine, correct?

If so. Salt and pepper. Sear in blazing hot iron skillet or on blazing hot grill, very quickly no more than medium rare. Pull off and slice thin cuts of salted butter on top, tent under foil. Put butter and a dash of Worcestershire sauce jn the skillet and sauté a sweet onion and a bag handful of white mushrooms. We generally eat them with asparagus or broccoli because those are our favorite vegetables to go with steak.

Alternatively cut them across grain into 2” chunks. Roll in seasoned flour. Cook quickly in hot iron skillet with a shallow layer of melted lard. Just brown the coating crispy and pull them off so they’re medium in the center. Serve with fries or mashed potatoes.
Posted By: Jcubed Re: Venison loin ideas - 01/09/23
Steak and eggs get eaten a lot in the cabin...

Regards
Posted By: Verylargeboots Re: Venison loin ideas - 01/09/23
Originally Posted by TheKid
Tenderloins as in Filet Mignon? From inside the cavity and underneath the spine, correct?

If so. Salt and pepper. Sear in blazing hot iron skillet or on blazing hot grill, very quickly no more than medium rare. Pull off and slice thin cuts of salted butter on top, tent under foil. Put butter and a dash of Worcestershire sauce jn the skillet and sauté a sweet onion and a bag handful of white mushrooms. We generally eat them with asparagus or broccoli because those are our favorite vegetables to go with steak.

Alternatively cut them across grain into 2” chunks. Roll in seasoned flour. Cook quickly in hot iron skillet with a shallow layer of melted lard. Just brown the coating crispy and pull them off so they’re medium in the center. Serve with fries or mashed potatoes.

Do his first recipe, but wrap a slice of hog jowls around each slice of fillet and pin with a toothpick prior to searing.
Posted By: longarm Re: Venison loin ideas - 01/09/23

Everything you need to know right here.
Posted By: gkt5450 Re: Venison loin ideas - 01/09/23
Nephew posted in our men’s thread he’d cooked Backstrap Parm for dinner last nite. Said it was outstanding. He’s Italian and knows what he’s doing. Sounded really good!
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Venison loin ideas - 01/09/23
Season, cook hot and fast. Pull at 120ish, let rest for 10 min or so and slice.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Wannabebwana Re: Venison loin ideas - 01/10/23
If you’re feeling really adventurous, try it as a carpaccio.
Posted By: olgrouser Re: Venison loin ideas - 01/10/23
I won a bet tonight with my wife that tomato sauce with orange zest is a perfect accompaniment to a venison loins wrapped in bacon. she thought the orange might over power the meat. Parmesan cheese and cilantro brought the dish over the top.

She has acknowledged the dish won her over.
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Venison loin ideas - 01/10/23
Sweet meat / preacher meat?

That meat is so tender, doesn’t take much.

I like to slice it. Hit it will some Tony’s. Flour. Fry in a skillet.

Slap on it on a big cathead biscuit.
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Venison loin ideas - 01/10/23
Ah, a thing of true beauty !!
Posted By: jackmountain Re: Venison loin ideas - 01/11/23
Pound with a hammer, seasoned flour, hot skillet.
Fried potatoes and onions, mushroom gravy (German mustard gravy) over both. Homemade spaetzle in place of the taters sometimes.
Posted By: Sweets Re: Venison loin ideas - 01/11/23
Wrapped in bacon thrown on the smoker over cherry wood.
Posted By: jdunham Re: Venison loin ideas - 01/11/23
Originally Posted by longarm

Everything you need to know right here.

Yep.
Posted By: BubbaG Re: Venison loin ideas - 01/11/23
Anything you can do with a beef tenderloin, you can do with venison tenderloin and backstrip, just don't cook as long. You are limited by the small size of the tenderloin. Backstrip is better because the size increases the variety of things you can do with it. Take the picture above and make a fancy mushroom gravy served with garlic mashed potatoes and grilled asparagus and serve with a nice red wine to your significant other and if you don't get lucky, dump her.
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Venison loin ideas - 01/11/23
You tell me, Bubba ?

May have cheated, by adding scallops !
Posted By: Dude270 Re: Venison loin ideas - 01/12/23
Beautiful meal and beautiful lady my friend!
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Venison loin ideas - 01/12/23
smile

Thank you.

Blessed beyond my wildest dreams !
Posted By: BubbaG Re: Venison loin ideas - 01/12/23
Thats what I am talking about. Seared sea scallops is never cheating. She is a keeper. You are a lucky man.
Posted By: Edwin264 Re: Venison loin ideas - 02/12/23
I wrap mine in bacon and cook hot and fast to medium rare
Posted By: HCDH66 Re: Venison loin ideas - 02/27/23
Rub the backstrap with olive oil. Season with Montreal steak seasoning on all sides. Place in a 200 degree oven or pellet grill until the internal temperature reaches 120 degrees. Tent with foil on a plate to rest. Meanwhile, heat a cast iron skillet to at least 500 degrees. Quickly sear all sides of the backstrap. Slice, serve, and then break up the fights over the last pieces.
Posted By: Offshoreman Re: Venison loin ideas - 09/01/23
New 2 99s, I don't know you from Adam's housecat, but if that is your Lady, you definitely over-achieved - what a marvelous dinner companion to be seated with. She's a keeper.
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Venison loin ideas - 09/01/23
Thank you, yes she is !!

35th Anniversary, Saturday, she's put up with me for 41 years.

Posted By: Offshoreman Re: Venison loin ideas - 09/01/23
Lucky Man no doubt; but as she's obviously a Lady of beauty AND intellect, you must also have some redeeming qualities.
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Venison loin ideas - 09/01/23
Yeah, I can cook & mow the grass !

grin
Posted By: ironbender Re: Venison loin ideas - 09/01/23
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Yeah, I can cook & mow the grass !

grin
I, too, am good in the kitchen.

And a couple other rooms as well.
wink
Posted By: mathman Re: Venison loin ideas - 09/01/23
Laundry and pantry?
Posted By: Schenk Re: Venison loin ideas - 09/04/23
I split a big chunk of back strap, like butterfly it. Lay onions, mushrooms, and peppers (bell or jalapeño or both). I put a bbq dry rub inside and out on the meat. You can stuff with other veggies if you like.
Then I wrap in bacon and throw it on the grill/smoker at 350 for just long enough to crisp bacon.
Then I wrap in foil and leave it for a total time of 30 min off to the side of the direct heat.
© 24hourcampfire