Home
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Top Chef Fans? - 01/16/09
This is the third season that I've watched religiously. Being half Italian American, and considering that my favorite cuisine is Italian American, I've been rooting for Fabio from the beginning. Was trying to remember if he's won anything yet. Has he? Even a quick fire?

I don't understand why he chose a basil pesto as a topping for his pork ravioli this week. He should have made a nice tomato sauce for it. I saw some red tomatoes among the farm produce.
Posted By: Crappie_Killer Re: Top Chef Fans? - 01/16/09
I can't root for Fabio as his buddy Stephan is such an azz. I really like Aryan (sp?), but she was kicked off this week. My next favorite is Jamie. She is going to be tough.

Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Top Chef Fans? - 01/16/09
Having owned and managed restaurants for years, that show is about the stupidist thing ever aired.
Posted By: Crappie_Killer Re: Top Chef Fans? - 01/16/09
It beats the heck out of some of the reality shows I've seen lately.
Posted By: rob p Re: Top Chef Fans? - 01/16/09
I have to tell you something I find disturbing. At least half of the contestants on the show are in your face gay/lesbian. All of them curse in front of the camera, and the network feels it necessary to air this with little bleeps for drama. I've never seen more arrogant, egocentric people anywhere, and the network plays it up. Even the judges. You have to be arrogant, condescending people to do that too. It's the top rated food show on cable. That's what people want to watch. They make the cooking segments shorter so they can spend more time listening to the judges sarcasm. It's become a soap opera.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Top Chef Fans? - 01/16/09
Originally Posted by rob p
I have to tell you something I find disturbing. At least half of the contestants on the show are in your face gay/lesbian. All of them curse in front of the camera, and the network feels it necessary to air this with little bleeps for drama. I've never seen more arrogant, egocentric people anywhere, and the network plays it up. Even the judges. You have to be arrogant, condescending people to do that too. It's the top rated food show on cable. That's what people want to watch. They make the cooking segments shorter so they can spend more time listening to the judges sarcasm. It's become a soap opera.
They started out with three homos. Been only the one left since very early on.

Real folks occasionally curse. Some more than others.

I guess you'd have to be somewhat arrogant to compete against others in your field with such high stakes. So that doesn't surprise me.

I enjoy the "judge's table" segment. Especially when I know someone I don't like is going to be blasted or eliminated.

PS This is literally the only reality-type show I watch, or ever before watched. The fact that it was cooking related is what drew me in.
Posted By: Stetson Re: Top Chef Fans? - 01/16/09
Lets cook on our Calphalon pans in our Kitchen Aid toaster ovens with food from Whole Foods While we ride in the Toyota . LOL The shows a toss between an infomercial and gay pride. The thing that really annoys me is a bunch of twenty somethings all claiming to be Executive Chefs and inevitably they can't make mayo, tie a roast or create a menu. It's slightly better than Hells kitchen which actually could be a good show if they used motivated culinary students instead of a bunch of F'tard rejects.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Top Chef Fans? - 01/16/09
Originally Posted by Stetson
Lets cook on our Calphalon pans in our Kitchen Aid toaster ovens with food from Whole Foods While we ride in the Toyota . LOL The shows a toss between an infomercial and gay pride. The thing that really annoys me is a bunch of twenty somethings all claiming to be Executive Chefs and inevitably they can't make mayo, tie a roast or create a menu. It's slightly better than Hells kitchen which actually could be a good show if they used motivated culinary students instead of a bunch of F'tard rejects.
You seem to know about the roast tying fiasco, so you obviously watch the show. Do you recall if Fabio has won anything yet? I can't think of anything he's won. The man is disappointing for a Paisan.
Posted By: isaac Re: Top Chef Fans? - 01/17/09
Other than Bobby Flay's show, I stopped watching chef reality shows after witnessing "Hell's Kitchen"

I always thought being a chef was high grandeur till I watched that show.

I'd rather do a 3day custody trial than having to endure the frikken nightmare that man puts those upcoming chefs through!
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Top Chef Fans? - 01/17/09
Originally Posted by Crappie_Killer
It beats the heck out of some of the reality shows I've seen lately.

Then your knowledge base exceeds mine, I do NOT watch ANY 'reality' shows. smile
Posted By: Crappie_Killer Re: Top Chef Fans? - 01/17/09
My wife watches Amazing Race, Survivor, and a couple of others that I can't think of. So yes, I have seen several different shows and most are trash in my opinion.
Posted By: Stetson Re: Top Chef Fans? - 01/24/09
I don't know if Fabio has won any thing. He seems stuck on trying to convince us Americans that his way is correct instead of adapting to what the judges want to see. He has a lot of talent and I expect to see him in the final three if the judges don't flake out. He for sure has the best one liners of the season. On the restaurant wars episode he said;
"We could serve monkey azz in a clam shell and still win". LOL
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Top Chef Fans? - 01/24/09
I don't know if Fabio has won any thing. He seems stuck on trying to convince us Americans that his way is correct instead of adapting to what the judges want to see. He has a lot of talent and I expect to see him in the final three if the judges don't flake out. He for sure has the best one liners of the season. On the restaurant wars episode he said;
"We could serve monkey azz in a clam shell and still win". LOL
I know. That was a classic line. That was also the best episode ever. Next week lots of our favorites from previous seasons are coming back to compete against the current bunch. Should be great. Looks like Fabio gets into it a little with Spike.
Spike....Is that the guy that said "I have a culinary boner" ? shocked
Nope I just remembered that was Andrew. One of last years gratuitous gay showings. If they could leave that crap out the show would be a lot more interesting. Was it last season they had the lesbian couple?
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Top Chef Fans? - 01/24/09
American Idol for the culinary challenged, my 11 yr old daughter loves it....Really enjoyed how the 2 "friends" with just a connection roll on a couch and smooch and then lament their love interests at home...
Posted By: Pugs Re: Top Chef Fans? - 01/24/09
Top Chef is the one "reality show" that the wife and I have bought into and become fans. I'm a complete amateur cook (note: not chef) and I really appreciate how they come up with great ideas along themes with little notice. I'm sure they have them in their hip pocket to a certain extent.

When we were in NYC last year we had dinner at Season 1 chef Dave Martin's restaurant "Crave". Of course we had his black truffle Mac and Cheese and it was spectacular. Truly makes you realize that some simple dishes with minor changes can be really memorable. Kind of inspires me to invent a little.

Over all the challanges are well thought out and fairly indicative of the business. Snap decisions, quick changes in plans, crappy servers ( grin ) menu planning, equipment malfunctions and trying to satisfy a core group. Last season was a hum dinger when they "planted" the frozen scallops and Spike took the bait.
The contestants definatly should be going with a solid batch of ideas. Especially for desserts. I've been told the entire season is filmed in a little over a week so it has to be a pretty hectic schedule. If you watch them in the waiting room their frequently playing games and drinking. I understand they often do that in the middle if the night and have to sometimes wait several hours for an answer.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Top Chef Fans? - 01/24/09
Originally Posted by Pugs
Top Chef is the one "reality show" that the wife and I have bought into and become fans. I'm a complete amateur cook (note: not chef) and I really appreciate how they come up with great ideas along themes with little notice. I'm sure they have them in their hip pocket to a certain extent.

When we were in NYC last year we had dinner at Season 1 chef Dave Martin's restaurant "Crave". Of course we had his black truffle Mac and Cheese and it was spectacular. Truly makes you realize that some simple dishes with minor changes can be really memorable. Kind of inspires me to invent a little.

Yep. Never watched a reality show before this one, and this is the only one I watch. The cooking theme sucked me in. Then I was hooked on the show itself, which I find very entertaining.
Posted By: bulbboy Re: Top Chef Fans? - 01/26/09
I like it. Beats most of the other reality garbage out there. Sure there is a lot of the show I would change, but that goes with most TV shows
Posted By: Sassy Re: Top Chef Fans? - 01/27/09
What network is Top Chef on? I saw it one time and could never find it again. You all have peaked my interest now I want to see it again.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Top Chef Fans? - 01/27/09
Originally Posted by Sassy
What network is Top Chef on? I saw it one time and could never find it again. You all have peaked my interest now I want to see it again.
Bravo.
Posted By: rob p Re: Top Chef Fans? - 01/27/09
It's on Bravo, mixed with the interior decorating and alternative lifestyle stuff.
Posted By: Pugs Re: Top Chef Fans? - 01/27/09

You can see the schedule here http://www.bravotv.com/Schedule/index.php We usually don't stay up late enough to see it on Wed but instead catch the rerun on the weekend.
Thanks guys!
Posted By: Stetson Re: Top Chef Fans? - 01/27/09
Has any one watched "chopped" ? I think it's on tonight, same network. I enjoy Iron Chef a lot more than TC.
I watch Chopped. It's okay but not one of FN's better shows.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Top Chef Fans? - 01/29/09
Just finished watching today's installment. Of the three who finished on the bottom, I'm glad it was who it was. I would have been unhappy if either Stephan or Fabio were eliminated.
Posted By: Pugs Re: Top Chef Fans? - 01/29/09
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Just finished watching today's installment. Of the three who finished on the bottom, I'm glad it was who it was. I would have been unhappy if either Stephan or Fabio were eliminated.

I'll watch these weekend so thanks for not spoiling it. I think Fabio is going to be history before the end but Stephan is a damn competent cook and it wouldn't surprise me if he's one of the last two standing.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Top Chef Fans? - 01/29/09

I'll watch these weekend so thanks for not spoiling it. I think Fabio is going to be history before the end but Stephan is a damn competent cook and it wouldn't surprise me if he's one of the last two standing.
Yeah, Stephan is superior as between the two. He will likely win in the end, but my sense is that if you told Fabio to cook whatever he wants, and take as much time as he wants, you'd enjoy his food. He tends to stumble on all the weird restrictions of the contest.

PS Camille Becerra was looking pretty hot.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Pugs Re: Top Chef Fans? - 01/30/09
Between the two. He will likely win in the end, but my sense is that if you told Fabio to cook whatever he wants, and take as much time as he wants, you'd enjoy his food. He tends to stumble on all the weird restrictions of the contest.

This is kind of funny http://camillebecerra.com/ she and her crew were in cheering over the McCain's succession (sic) speech (I'm sure she meant concession) speech while her restaurant burned.

Watched this weeks last night. Not a surprise on who left and I was glad to see Carla do well. As competent as Stephan is, Carla strikes me a a very good improviser and really enjoys creating good food.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Top Chef Fans? - 01/30/09
Between the two. He will likely win in the end, but my sense is that if you told Fabio to cook whatever he wants, and take as much time as he wants, you'd enjoy his food. He tends to stumble on all the weird restrictions of the contest.

This is kind of funny http://camillebecerra.com/ she and her crew were in cheering over the McCain's succession (sic) speech (I'm sure she meant concession) speech while her restaurant burned.

Watched this weeks last night. Not a surprise on who left and I was glad to see Carla do well. As competent as Stephan is, Carla strikes me a a very good improviser and really enjoys creating good food.
Carla creeps me out. I don't think she's going to win. That lesbo chick might, though.
Posted By: Pugs Re: Top Chef Fans? - 01/31/09
Carla creeps me out. I don't think she's going to win. That lesbo chick might, though.

Agreed, no chance she'll win. Stephan is no doubt the odds on favorite (I'm sure Vegas has odds somewhere on that). Although, Leah may well be the sleeper.

Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Top Chef Fans? - 01/31/09
Did any of your guys catch the SNL spoof of Top Chef? It was hilarious. Chris Walken was playing one of the contestants. Due to the damned lawyers, you can no longer watch the clip on YouTube, but here's a brief description of it:

"Last weekend's Saturday Night Live, with guest host Christopher Walken, skewered 'Top Chef.' The skit features "Wylie DelMario," a "weird judge-guy who we tell you owns a restaurant somewhere," faux-hawk jokes, and the contestants reinventing a deep-dish pizza using beets, couscous, frozen yogurt, medicine, a paper bag, stale Peeps, and Padma's gum."

Stale Peeps, by the way, are those little yellow candy chicks you get for Easter. It was hilarious, because everyone but Chris Walken was able to do something creative and somehow came up with a deep dish pizza out of it, and Chris Walken just stood there saying things like, "I don't get this. How am I supposed to make a pizza out of this stuff. You need bread, and sauce, and cheese to make a pizza." laugh laugh laugh It had me rolling.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Stetson Re: Top Chef Fans? - 02/01/09
Leah may well be the sleeper

Leah is in waaay over her head. She's only made it this far by pure luck and staying in the middle of the pack. I'd wager she will be one of the next two to leave.
Posted By: Pugs Re: Top Chef Fans? - 02/01/09

Leah is in waaay over her head. She's only made it this far by pure luck and staying in the middle of the pack. I'd wager she will be one of the next two to leave.

Don't disagree but there's a heck of a lot of luck involved. Right dish at right time and often the luck of the draw in partners. I certainly did not expect to see whom I saw on the cut list this last week.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Top Chef Fans? - 02/01/09

That's my opinion as well. She's still there primarily by luck.
Posted By: Stetson Re: Top Chef Fans? - 02/02/09
It looks like Emeril will be a Judge for the final in NO.

http://eater.com/archives/2009/01/top_cheffage_emeril_lagasse_to_judge_final_eps.php#more
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Top Chef Fans? - 02/03/09
Not a fan of the man.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Top Chef Fans? - 02/05/09
Well, I just watched tonight's episode. Never would have expected Jamie to lose tonight. I figured it would be Leah for sure.
Posted By: Stetson Re: Top Chef Fans? - 02/05/09
The show has become a complete waste. They are keeping Leah around just hoping for more drama with Hosea.
She actually gave up and quit during the quick fire.
She totally screws her dish up and has no idea at all how to fix it.
Jamie cooks her fish right, blows the braised celery but knows exactly what she did wrong.
It was a complete no-brainer that Leah should have been eliminated.
The difference between the difficulty in the dishes was huge. The lobster was simple compared to the dishes that Jamie and Leah had to prepare.
The prize that Stephan won was H U G E !
The show has become a complete waste. They are keeping Leah around just hoping for more drama with Hosea.
She actually gave up and quit during the quick fire.
She totally screws her dish up and has no idea at all how to fix it.
Jamie cooks her fish right, blows the braised celery but knows exactly what she did wrong.
It was a complete no-brainer that Leah should have been eliminated.
The difference between the difficulty in the dishes was huge. The lobster was simple compared to the dishes that Jamie and Leah had to prepare.
The prize that Stephan won was H U G E !
I agree. I thought Leah's goose was cooked. Cannot imagine eliminating Jamie for that. She did one thing wrong with the celery. Leah totally screwed up the sauce, having no idea how to reproduce it. She should have been gone. Tom knew it, and probably voted that way, but for some reason the remainder must have outvoted him.
Posted By: Stetson Re: Top Chef Fans? - 02/05/09
Tom and Eric Ripert both tried to defend her but in the end I suspect the producers had some input.
I really thought they were going to give Carla first place. Her dish was complex and she had to figure out the sauce.
Every one but her and Stephan was a bit of a dissapointment. Hosea is supposed to be a fish house chef. Looking at the fish he cleaned they must not use fresh fish.
Having said that cooking for Eric Ripert I would be sweating serious bullets. IMO he is easilly one of the worlds top chefs.
Tom and Eric Ripert both tried to defend her but in the end I suspect the producers had some input.
I really thought they were going to give Carla first place. Her dish was complex and she had to figure out the sauce.
Every one but her and Stephan was a bit of a dissapointment. Hosea is supposed to be a fish house chef. Looking at the fish he cleaned they must not use fresh fish.
Having said that cooking for Eric Ripert I would be sweating serious bullets. IMO he is easilly one of the worlds top chefs.
Yeah, I get that impression. I thought Fabio's dish was well liked, too, though. They always seem just a little reluctant to give Fabio credit, but Ripert seemed very impressed with his work.
Did you see the coming attractions where Fabio cuts the hell out of his hand? Oh man, that's going to be hard to come back from. How's he going to cook like that?
Posted By: Pugs Re: Top Chef Fans? - 02/06/09
*Sigh* well no reason to watch this weekend I guess frown

I often wonder how much influence the directors have. They claim none but it certainly doesn't seem that way sometimes.
Posted By: eh76 Re: Top Chef Fans? - 02/06/09
television sucks period. not much on anymore worth watching! would rather read all of your recipes or watch you cook in camp!
Posted By: eh76 Re: Top Chef Fans? - 02/06/09
Now there is an idea!!!!! Camp cook top chef! I'll be the judge. When you guys want to come out? I'm booked for 2009. grin
Posted By: rob p Re: Top Chef Fans? - 02/06/09
I got to see Top Chef last night. It's funny that one of the fish they cooled was "escolar." Besides having a made up sounding name, I remember Alton Brown on Iron Chef criticizing someone for using it because it had powerful "laxative properties." What a treat.
Posted By: Sassy Re: Top Chef Fans? - 02/06/09
So what kind of fish is "escolar". I've never heard of it before, I thought perhaps the name had something to do with the method of cooking it.
Posted By: rob p Re: Top Chef Fans? - 02/07/09
Here's a link to "What's Escolar"
If you Google it, you'll get a lot of info on it as a gastrointestinal nightmare. We can't digest the fat in the fish so it goes right through us...ergo, the nickname EscoLax fish!

http://www.chow.com/ingredients/502

Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Top Chef Fans? - 02/12/09
I was really happy Fabio won this one. Italian chef cooking for Italian chef, and he does some of his best work. He really deserved it.

I thought Stephan was going to go home after over cooking the fish and also making a lack luster spinach side, but glad it was Leah instead.
Posted By: Pugs Re: Top Chef Fans? - 02/13/09
I've been avoiding this thread and finally caught up with the show tonight. Yep, I thought Stephan was done for, he's been consistently good but really missed the mark on this one and I think if he hadn't been good in the past he would have gone home on this one. Leah has been even throughout (generally) and no doubt she was the weakest of the group that is left so OK with her going.

Carla continues to surprise and I think prove that well cooked simple food is appreciated. In fact, I'm going to see if I can dig up some fresh peas at the market for dinner Saturday for mon amour based on how folks raved on them.
Posted By: Stetson Re: Top Chef Fans? - 02/13/09
Did you catch Fabios new look in the previews for the NOLA show?
Oiye. Wanna B rapper face fuzz and a pseudo mohawk.
The Fabioisms are growing old.
Paison Passe?
Hosea is now the weakest link. I was stunned by what he served for scampi considering he had two hours of kitchen time and a $300 budget. That was a sorry plate from some one claiming his forte is seafood. He needs to spend more time thinking and less time whining about Stephan.
Carla is older and more mature. It's pretty funny watching her taunt Stephan now.
Whole Foods probably has had a run on fresh peas. I would gladly eat at her place. Green Eggs & ham was a classic win although I thought Stephans dish was killer.
The best line of the show....Stephan to Fabio in reference to the judges comments about Fabio's salad,
"Your an airline Bitc*! LOL
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Top Chef Fans? - 02/13/09
Did you catch Fabios new look in the previews for the NOLA show?
Oiye. Wanna B rapper face fuzz and a pseudo mohawk.
The Fabioisms are growing old.
Paison Passe?
Hosea is now the weakest link. I was stunned by what he served for scampi considering he had two hours of kitchen time and a $300 budget. That was a sorry plate from some one claiming his forte is seafood. He needs to spend more time thinking and less time whining about Stephan.
Carla is older and more mature. It's pretty funny watching her taunt Stephan now.
Whole Foods probably has had a run on fresh peas. I would gladly eat at her place. Green Eggs & ham was a classic win although I thought Stephans dish was killer.
The best line of the show....Stephan to Fabio in reference to the judges comments about Fabio's salad,
"Your an airline Bitc*! LOL
Fabio didn't appreciate any of the humor at his expense.

I didn't think green eggs should have gotten Carla the quick fire win. What skill did she really display there? I still say she's largely been lucky.

Posted By: Pugs Re: Top Chef Fans? - 02/13/09

I didn't think green eggs should have gotten Carla the quick fire win. What skill did she really display there? I still say she's largely been lucky.

Come on, skill? That encompasses coming up with an idea that resonates with the customer and executing it well. I would argue that just cooking well and not understanding what the customer (judge) wants is a ticket home. I suspect that the shrimp scampi was darn tasty but it certainly was not what they expected, same same with the benedict. Carla deserves credit for knowing that this judge enjoys whimsey and coming up with a dish that pleased him using ingredents required.

There's a certain amount of gamesmanship to it sure but it is, after all, a game.
Posted By: Stetson Re: Top Chef Fans? - 02/13/09
Exactly! The QF was an egg challange. While Stephan's dish was a stellar example of molecular gastronomy he did not use any egg.
Carlas dish was just kewl and well executed.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Top Chef Fans? - 02/19/09
What BS! Based on their discussion, Stefan should have been eliminated, and Fabio should have survived. Then, suddenly, out of the blue, they switched it at the last second. Something fishy about that.
Posted By: Sassy Re: Top Chef Fans? - 02/19/09
I think they both should have been eliminated!
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Top Chef Fans? - 02/19/09
True, but by the rules they set up, if Jeff didn't win, he had to be one of the two eliminated, which meant it was him and the worst of the remainder that should have left. From the way they were talking, there were some things they really liked about Fabio's food, but not so much about Stefan. Seemed like Stefan was going to be the other one leaving today. I was really shocked when they said it would be Fabio.
Posted By: Sassy Re: Top Chef Fans? - 02/19/09
I was too. Stefan has such a big head I'm surprised he could even make it through the door to compete. I felt bad that Jeff didn't win but I think Carla was the right selection there.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Top Chef Fans? - 02/19/09

I agree. I say eliminate them in the old Soviet style, with a 9X18 Makarov right behind the left ear. Toss the bodies in a dumpster along with the judges, and lets get a decent cooking show on the air again.

Even re runs of Julia would be better than the Top Chef soap opera.
Posted By: BOWHUNR Re: Top Chef Fans? - 02/19/09
I wonder how the new show starting in March on NBC (The Chopping Block) will be? The chef is going to be Marco Pierre White. I've watched some of his videos and that guy can cook his a$$ off!! I hope they don't ruin it by turning it in to a scream fest like Hell's Kitchen.

Mike
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Top Chef Fans? - 02/20/09
as long as its not a 'reality show', it might be worth watching. A cooking show should be about COOKING, not about prima donna homos and lesbians showing their butts.
Posted By: Pugs Re: Top Chef Fans? - 02/20/09
From the way they were talking, there were some things they really liked about Fabio's food, but not so much about Stefan. Seemed like Stefan was going to be the other one leaving today. I was really shocked when they said it would be Fabio.

I'm not so sure. Fabio's pasta should have excelled (and looked darn good) but those judges have such developed palettes when they start making comments about lack of flavor it's not going to go well. I thought Stefan might go just because of his superior nazi attitude but I'm glad he's still in as I think he is likely the best all around cook there. This challenge was right up Carla's alley and I'm thinking I might make her oyster stew this weekend. It looked great.
Posted By: Stetson Re: Top Chef Fans? - 02/24/09
If you read the judges blogs it's obvious Fabio was at the bottom. It's not reality folks, It's reality TV. The editors and powers that be cut and paste for extra drama. I think it's kinda funny to listen to people talk about Stephans attitude. That's reality in the big kitchen. He had the ability to mind phug 50% of his competition just by repeatedly telling every one how easy the challange was and having a Laissez-faire attitude. It totally knocked Jeff and Hosea off their square.
As far as Fabio goes I'm glad the loud mouth with the mohawk is gone. Fabio lost me right about the time he jumped up on a chair and started shouting about how great he is and how no one else could accomplish what he has in two years.
I still think Stephan is the stand out but Carla is certainly growing. I'm glad she won the car.
Posted By: Pugs Re: Top Chef Fans? - 02/25/09
Interesting in Tom's blog was that the fact that Jeff's Oysters tasted of sterno never made the final editing cut but clearly knocked him out of the running from the start.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Top Chef Fans? - 02/26/09
Well, now I will have nothing to look forward to on Wednesday nights. At least till next season. I guess Hosea deserved to win in this match, so no complaints. Too bad Carla let her sue chef make decisions for her. Otherwise, she may well have won. She's too easily manipulated. Probably didn't want to hurt her feelings, so she just went along with her suggestions.
Posted By: Stetson Re: Top Chef Fans? - 02/26/09
Poor Carla. What a rotton moment for a life lesson. She made a major blunder letting her sous chef control her. I was beside myself when she decided to go with sous vide for sirloin (bluch) and attempt a cheese souffle. Perhaps an even bigger mistake than giving up control was attempting new dishes at a pivital moment.
Hosea. What a douche.
I expect Carla will do well in the future.
Stephan redeems himself attempting to console Carla.
We get reminded that it's just another lame reality show with flaky judges. If this was really "Top Chef" and their work had been judged collectivly Stephan would have been the hands down Wiinner.
If Hosea would have wound up with the gator he would have went down in flames.
I surely would have used the gator tail but a cream soup never ever would have come to mind. On top of that Stephan has the best dish of the night and does dessert.
Go figure. crazy
Posted By: Pugs Re: Top Chef Fans? - 02/27/09
OK, caught up tonight. Agree Carla really let her decision be made for her and it's a shame. With her cooking her dishes with the big flavors she's done before she could have blown them away. Alas, there's a lesson there.

Hosea has been consistent but not inspirational so he picked a good time to step up the last couple weeks. His food was presented well and tasted good and he earned it tonight.

Stephan will have to get over it. Perhaps he can invade some lowland European country that always seems to cheer the Germans up wink Other than the squab and some innovation dealing with the gator his food was average (or below with the fish) and his "desert" looked like something out of a chain restaurant.

Posted By: Stetson Re: Top Chef Fans? - 02/27/09
Gosh I don't know Pugs. I think Hosea's final meal was showcasing Richard Blais a lot more than Hosea.
Stephan is a very good Chef. If he has a fault IMO it was that he was overly mechanical and at the end we still had no sense of who he was as a chef.
One thing about this show is that each season the editors always try to create a villian.
His exit interview was interesting.

http://www.bravotv.com/node/33352

Has any on seen the email response from the gal that was Carlas sous chef? eek whistle
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Top Chef Fans? - 02/27/09
Has any on seen the email response from the gal that was Carlas sous chef? eek whistle
Could you reproduce it here. I'd love to read it.
Gosh I don't know Pugs. I think Hosea's final meal was showcasing Richard Blais a lot more than Hosea.

I'll give you 50% on that one but I think the core of it was still Hosea unlike Carla's who really let her sous drive her meal to it's detriment.

Certainly agree with your comments on Stephan. Who would of thought it, a German that is clinical grin

I'd like to see that interview/e-mail as well.
Posted By: Stetson Re: Top Chef Fans? - 02/27/09

I'll give you 50% on that one but I think the core of it was still Hosea unlike Carla's who really let her sous drive her meal to it's detriment.

No question about it but you have to respect Carla for accepting the responsabilty of her own errors. She knew what she did the minute it was too late. Every chef I have ever known has had a day or two that they wish they could erase.

Here's Carlas take;

http://amuse-biatch.blogspot.com/2009/02/audacity-of-hootie-dont-blame-casey.html

Here's Casey's take. Personally I think Casey committed professional suicide with this email. I assume she was intoxicated when she wrote this;

http://sidedish.dmagazine.com/2009/02/26/casey-thompson-speaks-out-about-top-chef/

Here's Casey's take. Personally I think Casey committed professional suicide with this email. I assume she was intoxicated when she wrote this;

http://sidedish.dmagazine.com/2009/02/26/casey-thompson-speaks-out-about-top-chef/

Damn, her comments, then the comments of people that clearly know her are pretty telling of her true colors.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Top Chef Fans? - 02/27/09

No question about it but you have to respect Carla for accepting the responsabilty of her own errors. She knew what she did the minute it was too late. Every chef I have ever known has had a day or two that they wish they could erase.

Here's Carlas take;

http://amuse-biatch.blogspot.com/2009/02/audacity-of-hootie-dont-blame-casey.html

Interesting. Thanks.
© 24hourcampfire