Home
Posted By: RickyBobby Lump Charcoal - 07/15/13
Looking for anyone who has really had the chance to use lots of different brands of the lump style charcoal. I am just a little curious as to how much difference in taste, from the smoke, these different types of lump can produce? Is it worth the time & effort to experiment with as many makes as possible until maybe finding one that might ultimately satisfy an individuals taste buds? Or even might like one more because of its burn characteristics.

Just basically looking for more info on LUMP. smile
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Lump Charcoal - 07/16/13
http://www.nakedwhiz.com
Posted By: eh76 Re: Lump Charcoal - 07/16/13
I got some mesquite lump from Sams Club a few years ago....good stuff in a 40 lb bag for $15. Wish they had it again.........
Posted By: RickyBobby Re: Lump Charcoal - 07/16/13
I have been using the BGE brand lump & also have a bag of the Royal Oak sitting here that will get used next. I have found a local company that is called Rockwood, and would love to get my hands on a bag of their stuff. I hear of guys buying bulk pallets of lump to save but wasn't sure if this is a smart move until possibly exploring the many brands that are available. Is there much difference in the flavor from one to another? Just curious.
Posted By: RNF Re: Lump Charcoal - 07/16/13
Originally Posted by eh76
I got some mesquite lump from Sams Club a few years ago....good stuff in a 40 lb bag for $15. Wish they had it again.........

eh76,

If it was Frontier brand our Sam's still have it only in 20 lb bags for 8 dollars.
Posted By: SandBilly Re: Lump Charcoal - 07/16/13
Originally Posted by RNF
Originally Posted by eh76

eh76,

If it was Frontier brand our Sam's still have it only in 20 lb bags for 8 dollars.

El Diablo mesquite at Sam's around here. 40 lbs for 14.99
Posted By: eh76 Re: Lump Charcoal - 07/16/13
RNF that is what I hate about Sam's Club....all carry different inventory...I'd buy 5 of those!
Posted By: RNF Re: Lump Charcoal - 07/16/13
eh76,

You can go to Sam's Club website and it will tell you the closest Sam's that has it in stock.
Posted By: win7stw Re: Lump Charcoal - 07/16/13
Try Wicked Good
Posted By: 8SNAKE Re: Lump Charcoal - 07/16/13
I've tried several different lump charcoals in my BGE and can't really tell a difference. I add wood to get the smoke flavors that I want in my meat.
Posted By: win7stw Re: Lump Charcoal - 07/17/13
Some have less ash. Some have more fines than other. Not a fan of cowboy
Posted By: ld7009 Re: Lump Charcoal - 07/19/13
Royal oak mkes many brands of Lump charcoal I called and talked to a person they said they make lump for Krogers. GFS ( gorden Food service ) Green Egg, Just give them a call you would be supprised at how many stores the bag for with different name.
Posted By: amax155 Re: Lump Charcoal - 07/19/13
Ozark Oak, B&B, along with Royal Oak are some of the best I have used
Posted By: JWGross Re: Lump Charcoal - 07/19/13
My last several bag of Royal Oak have not been very good.
It seemed to burn up real fast.
Posted By: BOWHUNR Re: Lump Charcoal - 07/19/13
Just curious Ricky, what state do you live in?

Mike
Posted By: RickyBobby Re: Lump Charcoal - 07/19/13
St. Louis metro ~ in Illinois
Posted By: byc Re: Lump Charcoal - 07/19/13
Originally Posted by win7stw
Try Wicked Good

I would buy a tractor trailer load of the now discontinued competition WG if I could.
Posted By: win7stw Re: Lump Charcoal - 07/19/13
Can't even buy Wicked Good weekend warrior right now. All sold out on their website
Posted By: RickyBobby Re: Lump Charcoal - 07/20/13
I have been in contact with the owner of Rockwood Charcoal & will prolly be buying a full pallet of his charcoal very soon. Rockwood is a local company and seems to get awesome reviews. Rockwood is known for burning very hot, long, & produces little ash. Supposedly it has a very mild flavor, which should be good for when I want to add my own wood for flavor. I can't wait to get my hands on a bag of this stuff!

grin
Posted By: BOWHUNR Re: Lump Charcoal - 07/20/13
Originally Posted by RickyBobby
St. Louis metro ~ in Illinois

I would think down in that area you should be able to find Ozark Oak or Fire King pretty easily.

Mike
Posted By: byc Re: Lump Charcoal - 07/20/13
Mike, I cannot find your suggested brands in either of my living areas. But I did notice that grillstuff.com offers free shipping. Although, they are out of stock.

I wonder if Chris has it in his store.
Posted By: RickyBobby Re: Lump Charcoal - 07/20/13
I'm assuming no one here has used the Rockwood lump before? Just curious ... nobody has mentioned it on here that I'm aware of.

Let me know if you have. Thanks!
© 24hourcampfire