Home
Posted By: deflave BGE Size/Accessories? - 02/19/14
The most I typically smoke is two briskets. If doing ribs usually 6-8 racks.

I want to use this as my main grill for a season or two to see if I like it. I usually grill 4-6 burgers or steaks at a time and I grill a lot.

I need the capability to cook a pizza, and prime rib.

The table/cart I will build myself. So I won't need any trays or any of that schit.

What do I need?

Thanks,
Travis
Posted By: eh76 Re: BGE Size/Accessories? - 02/19/14
LARGE

The Large EGG is the most popular size and a favorite to handle the cooking needs of most families and gatherings of friends. Accommodates all EGGcessories for baking, roasting or smoking � and it�s versatile enough for weekend cook-outs or pizza parties, large enough for eight steaks at once, and efficient enough for an impromptu meatloaf for two!

Specifications:
�Grid Diameter: 18.25 in / 46 cm
�Cooking Area: 262 sq in / 1688 sq cm
�Weight: 162 lbs / 73 kgs

The Large EGG can cook:
�20-pound turkey
�12 burgers
�6 chickens vertically
�8 steaks
�7 racks of ribs vertically

XLARGE

The Biggest Green Egg of them all provides a cooking area that can easily accommodate meals for large families and cookouts with all your friends � and you can efficiently prepare several meals over the coals at once. Ready to serve up fourteen racks of ribs, twenty-four burgers or a couple of holiday turkeys with all the trimmings? No problem!

Specifications:
�Grid Diameter: 24 in / 61 cm
�Cooking Area: 452 sq in / 2919 sq cm
�Weight: 219 lbs / 99 kgs

The XLarge EGG can cook:
�2 20-pound turkeys
�24 burgers
�11 whole chickens
�12 steaks
�14 racks of ribs vertically

http://www.biggreenegg.com/eggs/sizes/

Only the 2 of us so I have a Large.
Posted By: deflave Re: BGE Size/Accessories? - 02/19/14
I read the dimensions on line. But I'm asking if the numbers they list are real world? Or are they like buying a tent?

Do you cook the same amounts I listed most times?

Travis
Posted By: BOWHUNR Re: BGE Size/Accessories? - 02/19/14
Travis,

I have both and for the numbers you listed I would go with the XL. It can be done on the large, but it would be a tight fit. And yes, BGE does exaggerate the volumes IMO.

Mike
On my large using a RIG I can do 6 full racks of spare ribs. Depending on the size of the briskets 2 at a time on a large might be a bit difficult. if you are doing baby back ribs 8 would work on a Large. 6 steaks like NY Strips no issue either. The only issue I could see with the large is 2 briskets at a time if they are big packers.
Originally Posted by BOWHUNR
Travis,

I have both and for the numbers you listed I would go with the XL. It can be done on the large, but it would be a tight fit. And yes, BGE does exaggerate the volumes IMO.

Mike

I knew the voice of more eggsperience would be along soon. grin
Posted By: RickyBobby Re: BGE Size/Accessories? - 02/19/14
Travis~

The large is easily the "most popular" sized Egg but by your description I think you should hands down go with the XL. When I bought mine I was afraid the XL was going to be overkill but Im really glad I splurged for it now. To much real estate is never a bad thing! Kinda like hunting ground ... even if you don't get to cover it all today, you can use it tomorrow. My XL with 5 racks and temp controller is now a Jerky making machine. Hope you like your Egg as much as I have mine! Im having an absolute blast and my wife is loving that I now enjoy cooking. Egging is a good excuse to partake in some adult beverages too!

Good Luck
Schitt, I almost forgot ....

GFY!!!

grin
Ok, this is kind of what I figured. My other question is... Will the larger size be a problem for using it for burgers and steaks day in and day out? Meaning does the additional size mean you have to stoke the [bleep] out of it?

Also, none of you lazy bastards answered my question regarding accessories. Do I need a stone or something similar to do pizza? Or is it an unnecessary expense?

Travis
Posted By: byc Re: BGE Size/Accessories? - 02/19/14
For the numbers you listed either:

XL BGE or XL Primo Oval. Grilling is actually easier on the XL over the LG because the grate sits down inside the ceramic edge. I prefer a grate lifter found at the ceramic grill store. Another reason I prefer the XL Primo Oval footprint and have started using it more than any of my BGE's. The grates are flush.

Pizza stone for pizza, BBQ Guru for slow cooks.

Meat!
Yes, you will need a stone for pizza. And not that cheap $hit from Pampered Chef and the like. Buy one from BGE, Primo or The Ceramic Grill Store. You will also need either a platesetter from BGE or a Spider, Woo or an Adjustable Rig from CGS to do indirect cooks.

Mike
Originally Posted by deflave
Ok, this is kind of what I figured. My other question is... Will the larger size be a problem for using it for burgers and steaks day in and day out? Meaning does the additional size mean you have to stoke the [bleep] out of it?

Also, none of you lazy bastards answered my question regarding accessories. Do I need a stone or something similar to do pizza? Or is it an unnecessary expense?

Travis

Figured you were smart enough to use a pizza stone. In liew of a plate setter you could get an adjustable RIG and a spider http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/large-spider/indirect-set-up.html

As David said a BBQ Guru for long low and slow cooks (or a rickyboby hair dryer attachment)
Mike--I liked the way Dizzy Pig Chris rigged his indirect setup. I've been moving in that direction and away from the plate setters. I do like the woo ring from Tom as well.

Here ya go Travis.

http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/adjustable-rig-vs-woo2-moreinfomenu.html

I agree with the quality pizza stone. That other stuff will go south on you real quick.
Yes, you will need a stone for pizza. And not that cheap $hit from Pampered Chef and the like.

Mike

Roger that.

Travis
Originally Posted by eh76

Figured you were smart enough to use a pizza stone.

This is a BULLY FREE ZONE!

Travis
Originally Posted by byc
Mike--I liked the way Dizzy Pig Chris rigged his indirect setup. I've been moving in that direction and away from the plate setters. I do like the woo ring from Tom as well.

Here ya go Travis.

http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/adjustable-rig-vs-woo2-moreinfomenu.html

I agree with the quality pizza stone. That other stuff will go south on you real quick.

Thank you sir.

Travis
Originally Posted by byc
Mike--I liked the way Dizzy Pig Chris rigged his indirect setup.

I did too, but I don't think the foil would work for a high temp cook like pizza. I could be wrong.

Mike
For pizza on the BGE you want your stone at or above the gasket level. I use the platesetter legs down and place four 1/2" nuts on top of it before setting the pizza stone on. The nuts will prevent heat transfer between the two.

Like this.

[Linked Image]

Mike
So XL Egg, Placesetter, and a pizza stone.

That it?

Travis
Posted By: atvalaska Re: BGE Size/Accessories? - 02/19/14
u will need beer....a couple to get it home and set it up ...a few to admire it and pat yourself on the back ...some more to break it in ...some for the 1st cook and some more beer to go with dinner .......that's all the accessories u need ...and I ain't lazy.
Posted By: 2Bimmers Re: BGE Size/Accessories? - 02/19/14
why not just buy the adjustable rig set from Ceramic Grill Store? I think that should include most everything you need except a separate pizza stone.

Nobody has mentioned a cast iron grate. You need one of those too.
Adjustable or the BGE version, I just need to figure out what I need to have it up and running the day I get it.

Why is the cast iron grate needed?

Travis
Provides a better grilling surface than the porcelain coated grate that comes with the BGE
Adjustable or the BGE version, I just need to figure out what I need to have it up and running the day I get it.

Why is the cast iron grate needed?

Travis

You don't need a cast iron grate. I have a 13" I use with a spider to do high temp sears down low to the coals, but I could live without it. Frankly, I think cast iron is a pain in the a$$. It's heavy, it will break if you drop it and it will rust if you don't cook on it all the time.

The AR is the most versatile of the two but honestly I use both in certain situations. I like the AR for all things low temp and the platesetter for high temp (pizza) and cooks that only require the main cooking level.

Mike
Provides a better grilling surface than the porcelain coated grate that comes with the BGE

BGE has switched to stainless steel grates on all sizes. It really makes for easy clean up!

Mike
In your spare time. Fellow co-worker who really does know his stuff. And his reviews are fair and very non-biased

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/productreviews.htm

BGE has switched to stainless steel grates on all sizes. It really makes for easy clean up!

Mike

Figures smile
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: BGE Size/Accessories? - 02/19/14
These won't seem to fit on my Large BGE wink

3 15 lb whole packers I picked up yesterday for the Campfire hog hunt

[Linked Image]
Oh man those are going to be really good!!! About time for you to buy a 2nd big boy isn't it?? cool Figured you for the EggZilla size by now.

Mike and I got a whole new lesson on packer prep at the Dizzy Pig competition class. Everything we were doing went against the way Chris did his award winning cooks.

May have to do a drive by the pig camp the night those go on!! grin
Originally Posted by 2Bimmers
why not just buy the adjustable rig set from Ceramic Grill Store? I think that should include most everything you need except a separate pizza stone.

A matter of preference for sure. I like the cast iron grates and they put great markings on meat and chicken. I bought the half moons for the XL. Allows me to add or stoke the coals without having to remove a hot cast iron grate. I also like the nickel grates that Tom sells. BUT they do rust, which is corrected by placing in a hot cooker.

BTW Travis if you plan to do uber high grilling you might want to plan for better gaskets. Unless, the Mothership has upgraded what goes on the new stuff.
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
These won't seem to fit on my Large BGE wink

3 15 lb whole packers I picked up yesterday for the Campfire hog hunt

[Linked Image]

Does brisket come any other way?

Travis

They should not for sure. I watch people buy the little flats at Costco and then complain because they turn out dry and overcooked. Uhhhhhh hello!!
I would get this with maybe an extra oval rack and forget about the BGE platesetter:

http://shop.ceramicgrillstore.com/xl-woo2-adjustable-rig-combo/

Then I would get this:

http://store.pitmasteriq.com/iq110kl.html

Or this:

http://store.pitmasteriq.com/iq.html

And this also:

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/thermapen/

A BGE ash tool might be handy & also a good Mapp torch with a small bottle of Mapp gas. It's a spendy venture, but well worth it.
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: BGE Size/Accessories? - 02/20/14
Dude not!!!
Digi Q is the only way to go
Posted By: deflave Re: BGE Size/Accessories? - 02/20/14
Originally Posted by byc
They should not for sure. I watch people buy the little flats at Costco and then complain because they turn out dry and overcooked. Uhhhhhh hello!!

Peasants.

Travis
Originally Posted by byc

A matter of preference for sure. I like the cast iron grates and they put great markings on meat and chicken. I bought the half moons for the XL. Allows me to add or stoke the coals without having to remove a hot cast iron grate. I also like the nickel grates that Tom sells. BUT they do rust, which is corrected by placing in a hot cooker.

BTW Travis if you plan to do uber high grilling you might want to plan for better gaskets. Unless, the Mothership has upgraded what goes on the new stuff.

I'll likely roast the barrel before I re-tube. So to speak.

Travis
Posted By: RickyBobby Re: BGE Size/Accessories? - 02/20/14
Dude not!!!

Yep, and opinions are like [bleep] ....... grin
Originally Posted by byc
In your spare time. Fellow co-worker who really does know his stuff. And his reviews are fair and very non-biased

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/productreviews.htm

I get the impression you don't want me to buy a BGE...

Travis
Originally Posted by byc
Oh man those are going to be really good!!! About time for you to buy a 2nd big boy isn't it?? cool Figured you for the EggZilla size by now.

Mike and I got a whole new lesson on packer prep at the Dizzy Pig competition class. Everything we were doing went against the way Chris did his award winning cooks.

David I would love for you to show up !
Posted By: eh76 Re: BGE Size/Accessories? - 02/20/14
Dude not!!!

He must be promoting his hair dryer attachment............
Posted By: BOWHUNR Re: BGE Size/Accessories? - 02/20/14
Originally Posted by byc

Believe it or not Dan, the dude really does exist. And he knows how to drink bourbon! grin

Mike
Dude not!!!

Wait for it...wait for it...BOOM!! There it is!! Nicely played my friend!! grin

Mike
I just looked over the note you sent me Mike
I'll be smoking on a ginormous off set that you could fit 2 grown men in

[Linked Image]
Posted By: byc Re: BGE Size/Accessories? - 02/20/14
Originally Posted by byc

Believe it or not Dan, the dude really does exist. And he knows how to drink bourbon! grin

Mike

HA! Wait til you see what I'm sending you Mike. It just got better!!!

Yeah, Keith. You're on the list as well. Wyoming whisky...pffffft!! grin

Dan, I'm truly going to try. If even for one day brother.
Posted By: win7stw Re: BGE Size/Accessories? - 02/20/14
I have a large and with the adjustable rig it handles most of my cooks. There are times I wish I would have gotten an xl. I will have another egg soon. I have the bbq guru cyber q. I don't think you could go wrong with the stoker either.
Posted By: Cinch Re: BGE Size/Accessories? - 02/20/14
You need to get this sum beach bought so you can bring it to the shoot and cook me lunch...
Posted By: eh76 Re: BGE Size/Accessories? - 02/20/14
All you have to do is drive south a few miles laugh

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Cinch
You need to get this sum beach bought so you can bring it to the shoot and cook me lunch...

That ain't a bad idea...

Travis
Originally Posted by Cinch

That ain't a bad idea...

Travis

HA! And that boys is how you get into cookers number 2, 3 and 4.

I went back to using a smokey joe for road trips. It ain't near as heavy! laugh
Posted By: 2Bimmers Re: BGE Size/Accessories? - 02/20/14
I have a large egg and have been very happy with it. I use the adjustable rig and spider quite a bit.

The cast iron grate is a bit heavy, but I like the way it sears. Also, I just like the way it looks (which is irrelevant to most people).

I'm just curious, but what (if any) difference is there in charcoal consumption between the L and XL? Also, I would think that temperature control on the XL may be a bit more difficult. I have nothing to base that on, just curious.
Originally Posted by byc
HA! And that boys is how you get into cookers number 2, 3 and 4.

I went back to using a smokey joe for road trips. It ain't near as heavy! laugh

That's no $hit!!

I'm just curious, but what (if any) difference is there in charcoal consumption between the L and XL? Also, I would think that temperature control on the XL may be a bit more difficult. I have nothing to base that on, just curious.

Consumption is about the same. Maybe a bit better on the LG. However, you're spot on with regards to temp control. I'm told the lower profile domes on the XL effect the original intent of the cooker. The higher domed LG definitely maintains a more consistent temp. Without a PM anyway. Also, believe there's a new higher dome XL model out now.

Not much that I can tell as far as consumption wise, and the beauty is you just give it a stir, re-light it and you're off to the races again. As far as temp control, each size egg is a little different, but the XL is not hard to zero in after a couple cooks.

The secret with any egg is to not overshoot your target temp. It's much easier to take it up than to take it back down.

You're right, the XL's suck! Stick with your teenie weenie Large so you can save a couple bucks on Lump and justify owning it. Oh, and I doubt you could have figured out how to stabilize the temps on an XL anyway. They require an expert!

BaHaHaHahaHaHa!!! grin
Originally Posted by RickyBobby

You're right, the XL's suck! Stick with your teenie weenie Large so you can save a couple bucks on Lump and justify owning it. Oh, and I doubt you could have figured out how to stabilize the temps on an XL anyway. They require an expert!

BaHaHaHahaHaHa!!! grin

Not quite sure what your point is. I never mentioned that XLs "suck." It was more of a question to the group to help the OP.

Originally Posted by byc

Consumption is about the same. Maybe a bit better on the LG. However, you're spot on with regards to temp control. I'm told the lower profile domes on the XL effect the original intent of the cooker. The higher domed LG definitely maintains a more consistent temp. Without a PM anyway. Also, believe there's a new higher dome XL model out now.

I had the same thoughts. Thanks 2Bimmers.

Travis
Travis you will be good to go with the large
I've done 4 butts at once

16lb whole packer fits fine
[Linked Image]
Thanks George.

What's that wire hanging out of the cooker?

Travis
Travis thats probes for the DigiQ DX2
meat temp prob and grate temp prob

http://www.bbqguys.com/item_name_BB...-Eggs-All-K_path_17910_item_2873672.html
Posted By: HugAJackass Re: BGE Size/Accessories? - 02/20/14
Travis thats probes for the DigiQ DX2
meat temp prob and grate temp prob

http://www.bbqguys.com/item_name_BB...-Eggs-All-K_path_17910_item_2873672.html

Well crap, that won't go on my Traeger...

Trav,

Thanks for this thread. I'm learning a ton. GFY sir
Ahhh. Thanks.

Travis
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: TexasTBag Re: BGE Size/Accessories? - 02/20/14
If you're going to use your BGE mainly as a smoker and especially if you want to cook multiple packers, I would buy (or build)one of these. https://pitbarrelcooker.com/

I have a Large BGE and a Mini BGE and love them but when I want to smoke more than a trimmed packer I use my Weber with a Smokenator but I am seriously thinking about picking up a Barrel Smoker. They're only $269 delivered.

I do have a Woo3 and Platesetter I use often with my BGE, if I had to do it all over again I would ditch the plate setter and use a pizza stone.

YMMV and GFY.

BaHaHaHahaHaHa!!! grin

Not quite sure what your point is. I never mentioned that XLs "suck." It was more of a question to the group to help the OP.

Easy ... just having some fun! Truth is, he will like whatever size Egg he so chooses. Main thing is that we'll have another man converted to the sickness!
Originally Posted by TexasTBag
If you're going to use your BGE mainly as a smoker and especially if you want to cook multiple packers, I would buy (or build)one of these. https://pitbarrelcooker.com/

I'm not selling my pit. So I can still BBQ the way I always have. This is more of an experiment to see if I like the BGE, and to learn how to cook on one.

GFY.

Travis
[
Main thing is that we'll have another man converted to the sickness!

Not necessarily. I'll decide if BGE's are worth a [bleep] or not.

Nobody else.

Travis
George,

That's just a regular thermometer on the face of the egg, correct? And they come equipped like that?

Travis
If you already have something for smoking and you just want to cook burger and steaks, I wouldn't blow a grand on a BGE.

They're nice and I love mine but they aren't needed for good BBQ. I grill a lot in the summer and most days I just use my Smokey Joe.

A Weber with a SmokeNator is pretty darn versatile.
George,

That's just a regular thermometer on the face of the egg, correct? And they come equipped like that?

Travis

All the BGE's I have seen come with a bi-metal, dial thermometer on the face. I quickly replaced mine with a Maverick.

EDIT: Forgot to add that even though I replaced it, the stock thermometer seemed to be pretty accurate when compared to my Maverick. I like the Maverick because I can see pit and meat temps from anywhere in my house.
If you already have something for smoking and you just want to cook burger and steaks, I wouldn't blow a grand on a BGE.

They're nice and I love mine but they aren't needed for good BBQ. I grill a lot in the summer and most days I just use my Smokey Joe.

A Weber with a SmokeNator is pretty darn versatile.

I also wanted it for pizza/prime rib. My understanding was they could be cranked up to near brick oven temperatures.

Travis
All the BGE's I have seen come with a bi-metal, dial thermometer on the face. I quickly replaced mine with a Maverick.

EDIT: Forgot to add that even though I replaced it, the stock thermometer seemed to be pretty accurate when compared to my Maverick. I like the Maverick because I can see pit and meat temps from anywhere in my house.

10-4. Thanks.

Travis
I want to say the highest dome temp I had was 700� in my mini. I have never had my large above 500� but I have never really tried.

What temps are you shooting for and how long?

Man... I can't remember exactly but I want to say in a brick oven pizzas were done around 650? Very little time.

Prime rib was something like 500 for 15 minutes? Removed, and then finished at a lower temp.

Travis
I don't think you would have any problem hitting and maintaining those temps for a short time in an egg.

A weber may be able to handle the same but I haven't tried it in mine.

deflave,

You can keep temps that high in an egg, no problem. I've gotten mine up to well over 800.

You can always maintain a high temp (or even get the temp to rise faster) with the use of a small fan. Just position it at the bottom window of the egg.
I've had mine pushing 900 which is way to hot for anything!

[Linked Image]
Excellent information. Thank you gentlemen.

And please do GFY.

Travis
Posted By: fatjack34 Re: BGE Size/Accessories? - 02/20/14
Excellent information. Thank you gentlemen.

And please do GFY.

Travis

How about this..buy the [bleep] EGG, and GFY whilst balancing on top of it at a warming temperature.

Sonofabitch!
Originally Posted by fatjack34

How about this..buy the [bleep] EGG, and GFY whilst balancing on top of it at a warming temperature.

Sonofabitch!

Nobody in your home state of Jersey could afford one any-[bleep]-way!

Where's Ace? He probably invented these things.

Travis
Posted By: fatjack34 Re: BGE Size/Accessories? - 02/20/14
Jersey my hairy ball sac! Even I have standards....NH! [bleep]!
Man... I can't remember exactly but I want to say in a brick oven pizzas were done around 650? Very little time.

Prime rib was something like 500 for 15 minutes? Removed, and then finished at a lower temp.

Travis

I have a 1000* Tel-Tru thermometer in one of my larges and I have bury it with no effort. Should be hot enough ehh?? grin

Mike

I have a 1000* Tel-Tru thermometer in one of my larges and I have bury it with no effort. Should be hot enough ehh?? grin

Mike

Do you use the original felt gasket?
[
Main thing is that we'll have another man converted to the sickness!

Not necessarily. I'll decide if BGE's are worth a [bleep] or not.

Nobody else.

Travis

You da man! cool

Honestly, if you're going into it with doubts; maybe consider sitting patiently a while and see if you could snatch up a good used Egg or even buy a demo Egg from an Eggfest. I don't know if there would be any Eggfest in your area or not.

Hell, find someone locally and offer them some beer to let you cook on it.
Nope. I have Rutland's on everything but my XL and it has the Nomex.

Mike
Posted By: deflave Re: BGE Size/Accessories? - 02/21/14

Honestly, if you're going into it with doubts; maybe consider sitting patiently a while and see if you could snatch up a good used Egg or even buy a demo Egg from an Eggfest. I don't know if there would be any Eggfest in your area or not.

Hell, find someone locally and offer them some beer to let you cook on it.

The nearest dealer is 120 miles away. But I don't call people until I know exactly what I'm looking for. I have found demos online but they are pick up only.

Cooking a couple times won't tell me anything. I want to use one for a year or two. If I like it, it stays. If I don't, I'm going to upgrade my pit and buy a Genesis.

Travis
Posted By: TexasTBag Re: BGE Size/Accessories? - 02/21/14
I bought a mini and used the chit out of it for a year before buying my large. Its pretty tiny but you can get creative.

I still use it to sear steaks and used it last night on a 2.5lb tri tip roast.

Not saying that would be the best option for you but I'm glad I bought my mini.

I don't know if they sell them anymore but my BIL has a Akorn, I believe its slightly larger than the Large BGE but its made out of insulated metal. Not a bad deal for $299. http://www.lowes.com/pd_131712-49769-6719_0__?productId=3609214
Posted By: BOWHUNR Re: BGE Size/Accessories? - 02/21/14
I love my mini. I use it and my small more than any of my others. Like said, just get creative.

Mike
Posted By: TexasTBag Re: BGE Size/Accessories? - 02/21/14
That's awesome you made a movie about your mini. I like your raised grid setup, how did you make it?
Posted By: byc Re: BGE Size/Accessories? - 02/21/14
I love my mini. I use it and my small more than any of my others. Like said, just get creative.

Mike

Dayum Mike. That's awesome!! I cook a lot on both the small and medium. And, I can easily haul the small to small cook tailgates.
Posted By: BOWHUNR Re: BGE Size/Accessories? - 02/21/14
I didn't make the movie. There are a couple of my pictures in it but it was all put together by a guy that posts on the BGE forum as Spring Chicken. He compiles shots from a bunch of mini owners.

Mike
Posted By: deflave Re: BGE Size/Accessories? - 02/22/14
Are the minis a good choice to practice on and maybe keep in reserve for camping? Or are they too fragile for that?

Travis
Posted By: TexasTBag Re: BGE Size/Accessories? - 02/22/14
They're built like tanks and would be fine (albeit a little heavy) for camping. They are good way to learn your way around an egg but you'll need to rig up your own accessories.
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: BGE Size/Accessories? - 02/23/14
Are the minis a good choice to practice on and maybe keep in reserve for camping? Or are they too fragile for that?

Travis
Go big or go home
If you really want to see what a BGE is capable of like you say get the large
Posted By: RickyBobby Re: BGE Size/Accessories? - 02/23/14

Travis
Go big or go home
If you really want to see what a BGE is capable of like you say get the large

I think you meant XL grin
Posted By: JasonR Re: BGE Size/Accessories? - 02/28/14
I have a large BGE and use to cook fer 5-6 folks all the time on it. Family has downsized so now 2-4. I have a 3 tier grate fer big cooks but the regular grate will accommodate 2 x 10 lb butts w/ ease. I have been using my egg fer years now and it took a while to be comfortable enough to fork out that case fer the egg but once you rationalize the cost of a good gas grill and they only lasted me 3-4 years, 2 grills paid fer my egg! U won't regret the BGE, and there is actually a forum I have belonged to fer a while that is LOADED w/ ideas and tips!!!

http://eggheadforum.com/categories/all
[/quote]

I also wanted it for pizza/prime rib. My understanding was they could be cranked up to near brick oven temperatures.

Travis [/quote]

I regularly cook steaks (big tbones) in 3 minutes when I fire my Egg up to 650-700, just make sure you have welding gloves or nomex gloves fer cooking on!!!! I personally have all the hair on my arms burnt off regularly due to not worrying about gloves!!!
Posted By: deflave Re: BGE Size/Accessories? - 02/28/14
Thanks Jason.

Travis
If you want to do your own table, here is a link to a thread where I did mine....

http://www.pensacolafishingforum.com/f22/bge-tree-table-lots-pics-70766/
Posted By: deflave Re: BGE Size/Accessories? - 09/22/17
Well, after three years of non-action my wife brought home a Big Green Egg for me. It is the large.

So far I've done ribs, spatchCOCK chicken, brautwurst, baked potatoes, porkloin, ribeyes and filets on this bad boy and it is pretty impressive.

I think its most most amazing attributes are the ability to achieve high temps and the efficiency (low use of fuel) is pretty amazing. Can't say it makes BBQ any better than a regular pit but it is air tight enough to negate the need for foil or anything like that in the final stages.

Travis
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: BGE Size/Accessories? - 09/22/17
Well, after three years of non-action my wife brought home a Big Green Egg for me. It is the large.

So far I've done ribs, spatchCOCK chicken, brautwurst, baked potatoes, porkloin, ribeyes and filets on this bad boy and it is pretty impressive.

I think its most most amazing attributes are the ability to achieve high temps and the efficiency (low use of fuel) is pretty amazing. Can't say it makes BBQ any better than a regular pit but it is air tight enough to negate the need for foil or anything like that in the final stages.

Travis

Bingo! Brisket from Sunday no foil needed
[Linked Image]
Yeah it is pretty slick.

I think if you know how to BBQ and grill to begin with there is no real learning curve to them. Everything has turned out great so far. Temp control is amazing on mine.

But sunofabitch are these things heavy. I thought one of my balls was going to rocket out of my shorts when we went to heave this thing into the nest.

Dave
Posted By: pointer Re: BGE Size/Accessories? - 09/22/17
My wife surprised me with a large in July. My first go around grilling with anything but propane. I'm a huge fan! Been a few times I wished for a bit more cooking area, but other than that no complaints. Love how easy it is to hold temp once you reach it. I do have work hard to refrain from opening the lid too much...

My spatchCOCK turned out great!!
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: BGE Size/Accessories? - 09/22/17
Holding temps steady is one thing you don't get with a pellet grill/smoker and it really kinda pisses me off.

It makes me think the outrageous price of the egg might be worth it.
Posted By: byc Re: BGE Size/Accessories? - 09/22/17
I have a couple of guru's and they work great. Pretty sure they make them for other cookers. Not sure about pellet cooker though. You could check here:

https://www.bbqguru.com/storenav/chooseguruguide

BUT I have one large (my first one from 18 or so years ago) that will get to and stick at 250 until the coals run dry. I've let her run without doing anything for as long as 20 hours at 250. No guru or nothing. Just the vents.
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: BGE Size/Accessories? - 09/22/17
Originally Posted by byc
I have a couple of guru's and they work great. Pretty sure they make them for other cookers. Not sure about pellet cooker though. You could check here:

https://www.bbqguru.com/storenav/chooseguruguide

BUT I have one large (my first one from 18 or so years ago) that will get to and stick at 250 until the coals run dry. I've let her run without doing anything for as long as 20 hours at 250. No guru or nothing. Just the vents.

Thanks. Didn't see Traeger on their list though
You can regulate temps consistently with any quality pit.

The problem is about the only place you can find quality pits easily available that I'm aware of is the south (including Texas). But the ones with recessed lids and quality baffles can be controlled very well.

Dave
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: BGE Size/Accessories? - 09/23/17
Well scratch Traeger from that list than because that thing fluctuates in temperature like a menopausal moose.
Posted By: byc Re: BGE Size/Accessories? - 09/23/17
I'm surprised because I thought that was one of the big attractions to those cookers.
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: BGE Size/Accessories? - 09/24/17
They will sell you a new controller for $250 that is supposed to help maintain temps better than the controller it came with...
Posted By: deflave Re: BGE Size/Accessories? - 09/24/17
Traeger doesn't sell pits. They sell Traegers.

Dave
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: BGE Size/Accessories? - 09/24/17
Today...

[Linked Image]
Beef ribs?

Not a bad weekend here either. This thing's a fugkin' sweetheart.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: MadMooner Re: BGE Size/Accessories? - 09/24/17
How's the LG size compare to a Weber kettle grill? They easily heat well edge to edge with out loading the chit out of it with charcoal?

Is it BGE or bust, or are some of the other kamado style cookers worth considering?
I'm not sure if you missed a word or not in your question but I assume you're asking if the cooking area is comparable to a standard Weber?

As far as the LG is concerned, it's smaller than a standard Weber. I'd say about 75% of the Weber cooking area.

The BGE is unique because you pretty much load up an equal amount of charcoal regardless of what you're going to do. Exceptions might be cooking a schit ton of pizza's at 600 degrees.

Temps are regulated by opening or closing the baffles. Any charcoal that isn't burned just stays in the bottom and used again the next day/week/month or whatever.

I've never fugked with any other ceramics. I'm sure some less expensive brands are comparable.

Travis
Posted By: MadMooner Re: BGE Size/Accessories? - 09/25/17
You assumed correctly. I was wondering about cooking area.

Just looked up the dimensions for a large and saw the weight. 162#'s. Pretty much exactly what a full keg of beer weighs. Lol.

Would you go Lg again or XL?
Posted By: akjeff Re: BGE Size/Accessories? - 09/25/17
"Is it BGE or bust, or are some of the other kamado style cookers worth considering?"

I've been real happy with the my Primo ceramic. I like the oval shape as opposed to round, particularly for things like racks of ribs. A little more space efficient, I think. The Primo is also still USA made, which I prefer. Can't imagine that either BGE or Primo would be a bad choice. As 'flave pointed out, the efficiency, and consistency are awesome.

Jeff
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: BGE Size/Accessories? - 09/25/17
Beef ribs?

Not a bad weekend here either. This thing's a fugkin' sweetheart.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Yup beef ribs and that pizza looks great!
Posted By: deflave Re: BGE Size/Accessories? - 09/25/17
Originally Posted by MadMooner
You assumed correctly. I was wondering about cooking area.

Just looked up the dimensions for a large and saw the weight. 162#'s. Pretty much exactly what a full keg of beer weighs. Lol.

Would you go Lg again or XL?

I would definitely stay with the LG. Keep in mind I've only cooked on it for a week and a couple days. But I think the XL would be too much of a good thing for us.

Travis
Posted By: deflave Re: BGE Size/Accessories? - 09/25/17

Yup beef ribs and that pizza looks great!

Thanks. We had people over for those. I manned the Egg and the wife just kept bringing them out. We ended up making 12 fugking pizzas. LMAO.

The consensus was a preference for 550ish for 10-15 minutes instead of 600+ for five minutes.

We were pretty happy with the crust recipe they give on their website and their cookbook.

Dave
Posted By: pointer Re: BGE Size/Accessories? - 09/25/17
Toast the crust before putting on toppings? Pard did that and it turned out great. Haven't tried pizza yet, but it's on the shortlist.
Posted By: deflave Re: BGE Size/Accessories? - 09/26/17
Originally Posted by pointer
Toast the crust before putting on toppings? Pard did that and it turned out great. Haven't tried pizza yet, but it's on the shortlist.

I guess you could but I can't imagine why somebody would.

Dave
Posted By: NoDak Re: BGE Size/Accessories? - 10/21/17

Travis

Welcome to another addiction. I've had mine for 4-5 years and they are great. Got an XL and love it. But also have a small pellet grill. They both have their place and pluses and minuses. Just got get to know how to use your equipment. We all gotta eat may as well eat good. smile
Posted By: BWalker Re: BGE Size/Accessories? - 10/25/17
I have the L BGE. If doing it again I would go XL without a doubt.
Posted By: deflave Re: BGE Size/Accessories? - 11/10/17
Any of you guys doing turkey for Thanksgiving? I did a test run the other night. 13lb bird @ 325 was done in just under 3 hours.

And it was damn good. May have to stuff it for actual game day.

Travis
Posted By: Tom264 Re: BGE Size/Accessories? - 11/10/17
Some of my BGE cooks.
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Posted By: Tom264 Re: BGE Size/Accessories? - 11/10/17
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Posted By: local_dirt Re: BGE Size/Accessories? - 11/11/17
Flave and Tom, those pizzas look darn good!
Posted By: deflave Re: BGE Size/Accessories? - 11/13/17
They are!

Travis
Posted By: deflave Re: BGE Size/Accessories? - 11/08/18
I wanted to bump this and advise anyone that has been on the fence about a BGE, just do it.

They are the best bang for the buck out there. A true do all cooker.
Posted By: Pugs Re: BGE Size/Accessories? - 11/10/18
6lb shoulder on for some pulled pork - Using a single starter of lump and a half dozen pieces of hickory and it will be trouble free for whatever it takes to get it to 195 - Love the egg.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: deflave Re: BGE Size/Accessories? - 11/10/18
What's a single starter of lump?
Posted By: Pugs Re: BGE Size/Accessories? - 11/10/18

One of the chimney starters - Chimney Starter
Posted By: acy Re: BGE Size/Accessories? - 11/11/18
Pugs, what size is your BGE? It looks about right for what I want to do.
Posted By: Pugs Re: BGE Size/Accessories? - 11/11/18
Originally Posted by acy

Mine is a medium (15" diameter grate). It's fine for two racks of ribs and a shoulder or brisket of 6-7 lbs. I got a great deal on it from another Campfire denizen but if I had to buy another I would go with a large.
Posted By: deflave Re: BGE Size/Accessories? - 11/13/18
Originally Posted by Pugs

One of the chimney starters - Chimney Starter

I've always used those in traditional BBQ's but I'm surprised to see you use that in the Egg.
Posted By: deflave Re: BGE Size/Accessories? - 11/13/18
Originally Posted by acy

Mine is a medium (15" diameter grate). It's fine for two racks of ribs and a shoulder or brisket of 6-7 lbs. I got a great deal on it from another Campfire denizen but if I had to buy another I would go with a large.

I got the LG but if doing over I'd go XL.
Posted By: Pugs Re: BGE Size/Accessories? - 11/13/18
Originally Posted by acy

I got the LG but if doing over I'd go XL.

Even better - no man ever said they wish they had bought a smaller grill or a smaller TV.

The Chimney starter works well for me and I find that it gets up to temp quicker than starting the charcoal in the egg itself.
Posted By: BOWHUNR Re: BGE Size/Accessories? - 11/15/18
Nothing wrong with the chimney starters to try and speed things up. I use them all the time in my PK Grill for SCA competitions. The thing is with the BGE's I see no benefit, but that's just my experience. Whether you use a chimney or light in the egg, it still takes about the the same amount of time to get the egg stabilized and cooking. The benefit of the BGE is the stability the ceramic produces when it gets hot and ready to cook. If you're looking for a quick cook those little Hibatchi's are awesome, and I'm not [bleep] you, they will cook anything quickly. But, I will cook the same food the same way on my small and mini BGE's and you will like it better every time.
Posted By: deflave Re: BGE Size/Accessories? - 11/15/18
That's my experience.

Honestly, if I'm just grilling with my BGE on the weekdays I just keep relighting the same pile. All the ash just sorta falls off into the bottom.
Posted By: Pugs Re: BGE Size/Accessories? - 11/17/18
Whether you use a chimney or light in the egg, it still takes about the the same amount of time to get the egg stabilized and cooking. The benefit of the BGE is the stability the ceramic produces when it gets hot and ready to cook.

Always willing to learn, I'll give it a shot that way next time. I tried it once and it took forever to get up to temp but likely operator error.
© 24hourcampfire