Home
Posted By: sse Labor Day - 09/01/17
what should i make...?
Posted By: deflave Re: Labor Day - 09/02/17
Ribs.

Travis
Posted By: Terryk Re: Labor Day - 09/02/17
The first food I think about on Labor day is corn on the cob. I'm going to smoke up some pulled pork to go along with the corn.
Posted By: sse Re: Labor Day - 09/02/17
Pulled pork and baby backs were my two options, haven't made either so far this Summer. Thought I'd try a carnitas in the slow cooker, Mexican style pulled pork, but decided to wait for colder weather.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Labor Day - 09/02/17
If it's good, does it matter what it is?
Posted By: ironbender Re: Labor Day - 09/02/17
Pulled pork is never the wrong answer.
Originally Posted by wabigoon
If it's good, does it matter what it is?

OK...pb&j
Originally Posted by ironbender
Pulled pork is never the wrong answer.

leaning in that direction
Posted By: srwshooter Re: Labor Day - 09/02/17
im grillin chicken
Posted By: byc Re: Labor Day - 09/02/17
raining NE of you all day in Reston so simmering some pintos and spaghetti sauce. Likely freeze the sauce.

Grilled pork loin and chicken over Labor Day. Maybe a butt or some ribs!!
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Labor Day - 09/02/17
Big thick Black Angus fillets cooked medium rare with just a little black pepper and garlic.
Posted By: Okanagan Re: Labor Day - 09/03/17
Corn is ripe here and so are our tomatoes. Pork and salmon are handy and eager to go in the smoker but with just my wife and me we are going simple. Last night we had tomato and bacon sandwiches on toasted Dave's Killer Bread. We skipped the lettuce. Fresh coarse ground black pepper, Johnny's seasoning salt and some Miracle Whip. My wife loves those sandwiches so much that we will do it again today. A local meat market that makes venison sausage for me sells superb bacon, so I laid in a supply for the weekend, extremely lean and thick sliced.

Oh, and I baked two pies yesterday, a wild huckleberry and a peach, two of my favorite flavors. They are half gone, as is some Tillamook French Vanilla ice cream... Picked several buckets of wild huckleberries up in the sub-alpine this past week. It is harvest/gathering time, with hunting time close behind.
Posted By: sse Re: Labor Day - 09/03/17
Originally Posted by Okanagan
Corn is ripe here and so are our tomatoes. Pork and salmon are handy and eager to go in the smoker but with just my wife and me we are going simple. Last night we had tomato and bacon sandwiches on toasted Dave's Killer Bread. We skipped the lettuce. Fresh coarse ground black pepper, Johnny's seasoning salt and some Miracle Whip. My wife loves those sandwiches so much that we will do it again today. A local meat market that makes venison sausage for me sells superb bacon, so I laid in a supply for the weekend, extremely lean and thick sliced.

Oh, and I baked two pies yesterday, a wild huckleberry and a peach, two of my favorite flavors. They are half gone, as is some Tillamook French Vanilla ice cream... Picked several buckets of wild huckleberries up in the sub-alpine this past week. It is harvest/gathering time, with hunting time close behind.

that about covers it
Posted By: calikooknic Re: Labor Day - 09/03/17
Went deep sea fishing last weekend, so going a little different direction. Been a while, so going to do a Thai curry fish soup. Fresh rock fish, some shrimp, baby bok choy, and mushrooms.
Posted By: Okanagan Re: Labor Day - 09/03/17
Originally Posted by sse

that about covers it

Thank you! Wish you could join us for lunch!
Originally Posted by sse

that about covers it

Thank you! Wish you could join us for lunch!

it does sound like you could use a few extra people to make all that disappear
Originally Posted by calikooknic
Went deep sea fishing last weekend, so going a little different direction. Been a while, so going to do a Thai curry fish soup. Fresh rock fish, some shrimp, baby bok choy, and mushrooms.

r u 'merican...?
Shopped for pork butt...the crappy grocery store is gouging again. So, went to the farmers market and got one that is too small, then to the fancy fruit/deli market and bought a slightly larger one, at the same lower cost as the first (which will go in the freeze). Will see what it's like BBQ'ing a four pounder.
Posted By: calikooknic Re: Labor Day - 09/03/17
I cook enough fuggin' pork and beef to keep muslims at bay and my doctors kids in college and braces.
Originally Posted by calikooknic
I cook enough fuggin' pork and beef to keep muslims at bay and my doctors kids in college and braces.

LOL, I know you do...
Originally Posted by srwshooter
im grillin chicken

If I didn't opt for pork, I would have spatchcocked a chicken, slathered in melted butter, lemon juice, garlic and rosemary.
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Labor Day - 09/04/17
[Linked Image]
Posted By: sse Re: Labor Day - 09/04/17
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
[Linked Image]

whoa...par-tay!
Posted By: GregW Re: Labor Day - 09/04/17
I did this...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: hanco Re: Labor Day - 09/05/17
We had ribs, squash, tators, beans. Working man food. And Bud Light. Us guys cooked, let the girls sit on their butts and play 42.
Posted By: sse Re: Labor Day - 09/05/17
Originally Posted by GregW
I did this...

[Linked Image]

looks good to me
Posted By: sse Re: Labor Day - 09/05/17
I ended up doing a nice pork butt, only a 4 1/2 pounder, used Texas BBQ Rub on it, my go to rub. Made a nice batch of Carolina vinegar sauce to spritz the pulled pork, I love that stuff.

For sides made a Kentucky style vinegar, sugar slaw, with onion, was very good. Finally, I found a remarkable recipe for diced zucchini, sweet corn scraped off the cob, with garlic, basil, chives and parsley, then spritzed with lemon juice. Amazing how nice this tastes with good sweet corn, but I'll bet it would be good with bland, off-season corn, also.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Labor Day - 09/05/17
Gonna scorch some burgers and brats in a bit on the redneck grill.
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Labor Day - 09/05/17
Scotching is my specialty.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Labor Day - 09/05/17
Up north, smoked pork chop, mashed spuds, corn. Good enough.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Labor Day - 09/05/17
Originally Posted by 284LUVR
Scotching is my specialty.

Dunno what scotching is Denny. But I put a mean scorch on burgers and brats!
smile
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Labor Day - 09/05/17
Saturday at camp, we did back ribs & a bacon & hot Italian sausage stuffed chicken in the charcoal smoker.

Sides of peaches n cream corn on the cob, Idaho style dressed taters & baked beans.

Sunday night (29th Anniversary) was thick cut rib eyes in the cast iron griddle, sautéed mushroom caps, same taters again & a Caesar salad with home made dressing (raw egg, anchovies, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, dijon mustard, evoo, s&p etc.

Last night was chicken parm, egg noodles & a Caesar salad.

Damned photophucket !
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Labor Day - 09/05/17
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire