Home
Posted By: sse whoever came up with the idea... - 09/04/17
...of adding maple flavor to breakfast sausage is a d*mn genius...

[Linked Image]
Looks good! Especially since I can't see the maple... laugh

I know I am the odd man out but I don't like anything sweet anywhere near eggs. It pokes my gag button. And I don't like sweet flavors with meat, smoked salmon, etc. I waaay prefer a savory flavor to smoked ribs and smoked salmon though have made and eaten a lot of sweet varieties. Recently I've started making my own rub and BBQ sauce just to get away from the sugary commercial brands.
Originally Posted by Okanagan
Recently I've started making my own rub and BBQ sauce just to get away from the sugary commercial brands.

That's not the only reason to make your own rub and sauce.
never thought much of that. Sausage should taste like sausage. lol
Always liked our, non maple, sausage when I got syrup on it.

Sausage,
Ground pig
Salt
Pepper

Optional

Brown Sugar
Very little sage, just to know it is there, not really taste it.

IMHO
don't care for maple in my sausage or eggs fried brown.
you guys are full of it
What happened to the sunny side up yolk?
are you frying the entire lot in maple syrup?? laugh

Nice skillet!
Originally Posted by mathman

When you cook sausage in the skillet, there is a tasty brown crust that forms. I add a pad of butter, sometimes some onion, crack in an egg. The egg barely sticks at all and when you flip it, the delicious brown bits and crust adhere to the egg. Love it.
Originally Posted by byc
are you frying the entire lot in maple syrup?? laugh

Nice skillet!

The market sells a variety of breakfast sausage, I love the flavor and aroma of the maple version, not overly sweet. Reminds me of browning bacon in the oven after sprinkling maple sugar on it, yum...
Originally Posted by sse

When you cook sausage in the skillet, there is a tasty brown crust that forms. I add a pad of butter, sometimes some onion, crack in an egg. The egg barely sticks at all and when you flip it, the delicious brown bits and crust adhere to the egg. Love it.

Don't listen to these Gomers. You're doing everything right.
I guess I'm the double odd man out. I don't like maple syrup flavored sausage, but if I have pancakes and sausage I'll run the sausage through the syrup on the plate.
Maple syrup eh? I was standing in queue at the bank the other day, a young woman from eastern Ontario told me they made the syrup from the sap.
Originally Posted by sse

Drool! Thass the way to do it!
I enjoy sausage or bacon dipped in maple if eating flaps or waffles.

But they shouldn't start that way. Always disappointing.
Originally Posted by calikooknic
I enjoy sausage or bacon dipped in maple if eating flaps or waffles.

But they shouldn't start that way. Always disappointing.

yer full of it
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
never thought much of that. Sausage should taste like sausage. lol

I'm with you on this one Sam. I have never been a fan of maple flavor and sure don't want my pork to taste like it. My wife likes maple and any time she heats up syrup for pancakes or even opens a bag of those maple nut goodie candies it's like Satan cut a rancid fart!

Mike
i'm full of good homemade sausage and over easy WHITE EGGS.
This thread is brutal. Sausage and eggs in a cast iron skillet, and I'd maybe add a buckwheat pancake, and all of it forbidden.

I'm three days into a minimal bland white prep diet for exhaust pipe roto rooter on Friday and start the clear liquid only phase plus clean out meds today. Have huckleberry pie in the fridge, bacon, venison, pork ribs to go in the smoker, cherry tomatoes and big slicing tomatoes getting ripe faster than we can eat them...

...so pass the clear Gatorade and a cup of clear bullion soup, please.
Don't like the way sausage cooks when it has maple whatever in it. I prefer to cook sage infused breakfast patties and dip in real maple syrup on my pancakes.

I'll take scrambled eggs, pancakes, bacon, and sausage--pour the maple syrup over the whole plate. Coffee. Bliss.
I have zero use for maple syrup. My dear Mother and I would salt and pepper our hot cakes and waffles. Sometimes we would wrap them around a piece of bacon or a link of simple breakfast sausage.
I agree. Maple syrup flavor just does not please me. Pure Cane Syrup, or Black Strap Molasses on the other hand, is nectar of the Gods. That said, I don't want Pure Cane Syrup flavor mixed in with my sausage either.
you guys are full of it
The brown sugar breakfast sausages are almost tied with the maple for me, along with over easy eggs served on top of crispy hash browns. My wife can't stand a runny egg yolk....its to late for her but I have all 3 of the kids on my side....
Thank god the children were spared.
Runny egg yolks are nasty, just sayin'. I want mine hard fried, nothing runny. YMMV. Wife on the other hand wants her's just warmed up. I jokingly ask her if she wants a straw to eat them with. Seriously, y'all cook 'em how you like 'em, just don't serve me one that's not done. Steaks are made to be served rare to medium rare, not eggs.
No maple syrup in/on bacon and sausage is just plain wrong! Home made smoked BACON made with REAL maple syrup smoked with real hickory. It's nothing like that crap that comes from the store. NOTHING! A good long cure of at least a week makes it just that much better.
Originally Posted by sse
...of adding maple flavor to breakfast sausage is a d*mn genius...

[Linked Image]

did this again whether u like it or not
I likes it.
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Maple syrup eh? I was standing in queue at the bank the other day, a young woman from eastern Ontario told me they made the syrup from the sap.

Yes, they do. It takes a several gallons of maple sap, boiled down to make about a pint of maple syrup. (Roughly 40:1 ratio) I have the spiles (taps) and a turkey fryer, and would like to try it myself. There are quite a few trees you can tap for sap to make syrup. I hear black walnut is excellent.
Personally, I don't like syrup flavored meats. Too sweet.
well its not rockets science.
Breakfast has become dessert in many cases. I.E. pancakes topped with sugary strawberries and whipped cream.
Try mixing applesauce with your loose sausage. Pretty tasty for breakfast. Barry
From Cooks Country

Maple Butter

Makes 1/4 cup
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
ΒΌ teaspoon salt
Whisk butter, maple syrup, and salt together in bowl until combined.

Maple butter will keep, covered and refrigerated, for one week. Try it on roasted vegetables, corn bread, or pork chops, as well as johnnycakes.
© 24hourcampfire