Home
Posted By: Lonny Salmon recipes? - 03/09/18
What do you like for a salmon recipe?

I usually grill in on the Weber with either gas or charcoal

Sockeye or King would be the variety.

Thanks!
Posted By: MILES58 Re: Salmon recipes? - 03/09/18
Simple, simple, simple! Put a filet on a chunk of cedar. Baste with Bronco Bob's Raspberry-Chipotle sauce. Smoke until firm. Eat.
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: Salmon recipes? - 03/09/18
I've got a few wink

For fresh fillets, very tough to beat taking a stick of softened butter and adding 3-5 cloves of minced garlic, diced fresh dill and the juice of a lemon. Put it in the freezer to firm up then put slabs of it over the fillet and a dash of salt and pepper. Cook over some alder chips or chunks on the grill.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Make sure you grill it until the flesh just firms up, and no longer. Ideally you pull it off just prior to it being firmed up and it finishes under retained heat.

Google baked whole fish salt crust. I've been doing one with a sockeye for our annual Christmas carol party, seems to be a big hit. Really simple and makes a nice centerpiece. Last year I screwed up and over cooked it, so keep an eye on the timer not how brown the crust is.

I also poach it, bake it, use it for stir fries, tacos, lomi lomi, poke, sushi....
Posted By: WyoCoyoteHunter Re: Salmon recipes? - 03/09/18
Sounds awesome!!
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Salmon recipes? - 03/09/18
Fresh king gets S&P and cooked over a hot grill. Skin on to protect the flesh. Do NOT over cook.

Uber simple and fantastic.

Frozen or other fillets may get different rubs, smoking, or sourcream/mayo type toppings.
Posted By: Lonny Re: Salmon recipes? - 03/09/18
Hell yeah, Lott! That looks really good.

Thanks for the ideas gentlemen!
Posted By: pak Re: Salmon recipes? - 03/09/18
Cooking fillets on a grill is my go to method. Skin down and I never ever flip. Paul, butter is great, but sometime brush some sesame seed oil on it for a switch
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: Salmon recipes? - 03/09/18
Pete,

Agreed on skin down and don't flip on the grill. Sesame oil is magic stuff, it's generally my go to fat when baking fish.

As a coworker once said, "You can put sesame oil on dog crap and it will taste good"

My favorite use for sesame oil and salmon is for poke, and one needs to take all care regarding eating raw fish when making poke.

[Linked Image]

(image stolen off net)
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Salmon recipes? - 03/09/18
Fresh salmon & dill are a fabulous combination !
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Salmon recipes? - 03/10/18
Winner winner Salmon dinner.

Originally Posted by 458 Lott
I've got a few wink

For fresh fillets, very tough to beat taking a stick of softened butter and adding 3-5 cloves of minced garlic, diced fresh dill and the juice of a lemon. Put it in the freezer to firm up then put slabs of it over the fillet and a dash of salt and pepper. Cook over some alder chips or chunks on the grill.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Make sure you grill it until the flesh just firms up, and no longer. Ideally you pull it off just prior to it being firmed up and it finishes under retained heat.

Google baked whole fish salt crust. I've been doing one with a sockeye for our annual Christmas carol party, seems to be a big hit. Really simple and makes a nice centerpiece. Last year I screwed up and over cooked it, so keep an eye on the timer not how brown the crust is.

I also poach it, bake it, use it for stir fries, tacos, lomi lomi, poke, sushi....
Posted By: ironbender Re: Salmon recipes? - 03/10/18

Same here as to skin down and zero flippage. I spray the skin with veg oil to reduce stickage.

S&P and garlic on the flesh side.

+1 to taking the fish off before its fully cooked. I'd rather have rare salmon than over done.

Above is how I do probably 80% of our fillets. Another fave is skinned and pan fried in CI in butter. Same seasonings.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Salmon recipes? - 03/10/18
Salt, pepper, pan fry.

Never tried butter...always use peanut oil.

Might try some sesame oil too.

Evahthing betta with butta!
Posted By: 280shooter Re: Salmon recipes? - 03/10/18
I like it baked in terra cotta with tomatillos, tomatoes, cilantro, chipotle peppers, onion, lime juice, salt and served over butter noodles.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Salmon recipes? - 03/10/18
The '69 Baltimore Orioles featured a salmon dish that featured only the medallions cut from the cheeks of the salmon. It was known as Cheek O'Salmon. (I really don't expect anyone to get that.)
Posted By: gunswizard Re: Salmon recipes? - 03/10/18
+1 on Alderwood it is my wood of choice whether smoking venison, beef, pork or fish. For birds I like Applewood's milder flavor, try it with Rock Cornish Hens.
Originally Posted by 5sdad
The '69 Baltimore Orioles featured a salmon dish that featured only the medallions cut from the cheeks of the salmon. It was known as Cheek O'Salmon. (I really don't expect anyone to get that.)

WHO???
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Salmon recipes? - 03/10/18

Originally Posted by ironbender

WHO???

Hah I knew right away. Was a fairly prolific card collector back in the 70’s as a kid.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Salmon recipes? - 03/10/18
Glad that I could jog a memory.
Posted By: VernAK Re: Salmon recipes? - 03/10/18
I wish I had some of that cedar up here as this black spruce ain't the wood to use.

I too grill skin down but cut the meat into serving portions first but do not cut skin.
A thin spatula will take the meat off and leave skin on grill.

One of my favorites is sprinkle with Tejan and then lots of garlic chunks followed by
a liberal covering of brown sugar. As above, don't overcook.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Salmon recipes? - 03/10/18
For non fresh salmon, one of my favorite marinades is about equal parts bourbon, soy sauce, brown sugar, and then a bit of pineapple juice.

Season it with S&P and some garlic.

Marinade over night.

Makes even frozen farmed stuff taste good. May not taste much like salmon, but it tastes good!
Posted By: pak Re: Salmon recipes? - 03/11/18
Originally Posted by MadMooner
For non fresh salmon, one of my favorite marinades is about equal parts bourbon, soy sauce, brown sugar, and then a bit of pineapple juice.

Season it with S&P and some garlic.

Marinade over night.

Makes even frozen farmed stuff taste good. May not taste much like salmon, but it tastes good!

MMooner,
You live in salmon country and eat farmed? Speaking a bit of blasphemy aren't you?
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Salmon recipes? - 03/11/18
Not on purpose, pak! I certainly won’t look for it. Though I’d pay for non tribal farmed before I knowingly pay an Indian for wild caught. Both are poor options.

Much rather catch it myself. smile
Posted By: FishinHank Re: Salmon recipes? - 03/11/18
Wild caught is ALWAYS better!!!

Farmed fish is a dirty word

I have only raised hundreds of millions of chums and pinks, haha.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Salmon recipes? - 03/11/18
Agreed!

There was some net pens that failed around here last year. Forget the number, but believe it was several hundred thousand Atlantic salmon spilled out into the sound.

I’ll eat one of them sumbitches if I catch it!
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Salmon recipes? - 03/12/18
Originally Posted by ironbender

Same here as to skin down and zero flippage. I spray the skin with veg oil to reduce stickage.

S&P and garlic on the flesh side.

+1 to taking the fish off before its fully cooked. I'd rather have rare salmon than over done.

WORD !
Posted By: Tate338 Re: Salmon recipes? - 03/13/18
We cure and smoke some for people that go to New York every year. This year I tried some dredged in our dry jerky rub then smoked. Everyone that tried it loved it. Our jerky seasoning is sweet and heavy on the pepper. Barry
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Salmon recipes? - 03/13/18
Originally Posted by VernAK
I wish I had some of that cedar up here as this black spruce ain't the wood to use.

I too grill skin down but cut the meat into serving portions first but do not cut skin.
A thin spatula will take the meat off and leave skin on grill.

One of my favorites is sprinkle with Tejan and then lots of garlic chunks followed by
a liberal covering of brown sugar. As above, don't overcook.

Get with me on one of your trips through and grab some different woods for smoking... Native crabapple aplenty... whiskey and a bedroll...
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Salmon recipes? - 03/13/18
Originally Posted by pak
Cooking fillets on a grill is my go to method. Skin down and I never ever flip. Paul, butter is great, but sometime brush some sesame seed oil on it for a switch

When pak speaks, fish lovers SHOULD LISTEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If anyone disagrees with this they should be drawn and quartered immediately.
© 24hourcampfire