Home
Posted By: captdavid Heart? - 01/07/19
I usually slice the heart, marinade it in my fajita marinade and grill ot pan grill it. I'm thinking of something new, I found a recipe for tenders using wine, vinegar rosemary and some other spices of course it was tender, and I would have to cook the heart differently, but the sauce made from the marinade was wonderful. Any ideas. capt david
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Heart? - 01/08/19
I did some beef heart a couple months back.

Cleaned and cut into slabs or filets. Marinate in balsamic overnight. Grill on high heat until medrare at the most. Ground pepper and a bit of salt, let rest. Slice thin across any grain you may have.

I loved it.

Others I’ve soaked in saltwater for about 12 hours, changing water frequently. Slice thin, pat dry, dredge in seasoned flour and fry in HOT grease. Again, med rare or so.
Posted By: Mgw619 Re: Heart? - 01/08/19
Look up meateater's recipe with a whole heart stuffed with cubbed up apple, onion and garlic I think. Saw it on a show and looked real good. Wrapped it in foil and tossed in the coals for a while.
Posted By: Whisky Re: Heart? - 01/08/19
Venison heart is by far my most favorite piece of meat from a deer. I've cooked it a few ways and the way I like it best was mentioned above. Slice it fairly thin, coat in your favorite fish breading, and fry it in a cast iron pan with butter and onions. Don't overcook, I still like it med rare.

I have one in the freezer and will do it like I did a beef tongue. I will season whole and smoke until it hits 160 IT. Then I will wrap in foil and finish it on the cooker until it hits around 200. I will then dice it up and make "carne asada" tacos. The beef tongue was awesome like that, tender and still juicy. Not sure how the heart will turn out when cooked to that temp.
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Heart? - 01/09/19
The only large animal heart I've eaten was beef heart which I had no part in cooking.

It was dredged in flour and spices and fried about med....it was ok but I won't be rushing out to buy some any time soon.

Posted By: KRAKMT Re: Heart? - 01/09/19
I grew up with my mother cutting the liver into rounds in order to trick us into thinking it was heart. So I am a little leary when eating heart cut into rounds. But we had an Oregon hunter cook some venison heart one year after he had filleted it. It was a very good steak, that everyone loved. The filleting it removed the grisly skin. Marinated would be very good. Alas, this years elks hearts were perforated so I did not recover.
Posted By: deflave Re: Heart? - 01/09/19
I like to cook them in butter, garlic and onion.

I've stuffed them as well and they are great.
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Heart? - 01/09/19
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: saddlering Re: Heart? - 01/09/19
Just another Muscle, I also Like Venison Heart! and Liver!
Posted By: Bootsfishing Re: Heart? - 01/18/19
Get a couple and make some stroganoff with it...
Posted By: ironbender Re: Heart? - 01/18/19
It's great as shish ka bob.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Heart? - 01/18/19
Heart and tongue are probably the most undervalued and underused meats from an animal - at least in the US. Elsewhere, they are rightfully prized.
Posted By: DarlaG Re: Heart? - 01/18/19
RockyRaab,

I do NOT eat heart or liver but LOVE cold/thick-sliced tongue sandwiches with RAW onion & mustard.

yours, tex
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Heart? - 01/18/19
Y'all can have it.......heart, tongue......might have been alright for the Injuns, but I've no desire to try I. I have eaten beef liver, and I love fried chicken livers.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Heart? - 01/19/19
You're a third of the way there, tex. You too, James. Congrats! One step at a time and you'll eventually be another "nose to tailer".
Posted By: Tyrone Re: Heart? - 01/31/19
Trim it, stuff it with croutons. Top with a couple slices of bacon, then put it in a covered dish along with a little water and some onions, spices, or salsa and bake it at 350. When it's done, slice it about 1/4" and make sandwiches with lots of mayo.
Posted By: ST50 Re: Heart? - 02/11/19
I eat deer heart and liver every year. Clean it very carefully to remove all the fat and excess blood. What I don't cook gets saved for spring catfish bait. Works great and stays on the set line hooks very well It's not uncommon to catch four or more on the same bait.
Posted By: SandraUlrich Re: Heart? - 02/13/19
And if try the simple for the meat? It can be rather tasty, if you add the spices and so you will just imitate it further.
Posted By: Prwlr Re: Heart? - 02/14/19
Hard to go wrong cooking heart so long as you don't overcook it.

Agree with RockyRaab and DarlaG. Tongue sandwiches are the bomb, with tacos not far behind.
Posted By: Hubert Re: Heart? - 02/14/19
My family would not eat hearts. so I ground it up with the burger, no one ever knew.
Posted By: Yoder409 Re: Heart? - 02/22/19
All the deer hearts go in my mom's freezer til after season. She'll throw em in the pressure cooker on a Saturday and EVERYONE shows up for lunch !!! Sliced 1/4" thick while warm...………..salted lightly and peppered.

Finer snappin' to be had, NOWHERE
© 24hourcampfire