Home
Posted By: wabigoon Charcoal? - 05/31/19
Lump, or briquets? Why?
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Charcoal? - 05/31/19
You forgot to include some people's version of grilled burgers as a third option. (Or, for that matter, the outer layer of what comes out of many a smoker.)
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Charcoal? - 05/31/19
How windy is it ?
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Charcoal? - 05/31/19
Both. Because.
Posted By: Dantheman Re: Charcoal? - 06/01/19
Stubbs briquets for me. It just gives me a more consistent and longer burn. I find lump burns too hot and too fast for me.

Dan
Posted By: BOWHUNR Re: Charcoal? - 06/01/19
I use Rockford lump in my Green Eggs and Kingsford Professional briquets in my PK for steak comps. Never...and I mean never lighter fluid!!
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Charcoal? - 06/01/19
Kingsford briquets when I’m not using mesquite.
Posted By: Rob96 Re: Charcoal? - 06/01/19
I have a Kamado so it's lump for me. Hickory for pork and chicken, mesquite for beef.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Charcoal? - 06/02/19
Both. Usually a mix of briquettes with some chunks of lump.
Posted By: rem141r Re: Charcoal? - 06/02/19
i use basic kingsford due to the consistency. i supplement it with chunks of hardwood to get more smoke flavor.
Posted By: deflave Re: Charcoal? - 06/02/19
Depends what you're doing.
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Charcoal? - 06/02/19
Originally Posted by rem141r
i use basic kingsford due to the consistency. i supplement it with chunks of hardwood to get more smoke flavor.

Kingsford blue in my drum yesterday. Awesome smoke first half of the cook. Much more than usual but I did light it a bit differently . ?????????????????
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Charcoal? - 06/03/19
How dfid you light it?
Posted By: Gibby Re: Charcoal? - 06/03/19
Originally Posted by deflave
Depends what you're doing.

This /\

Only use the Kingsford Original (blue bag) for charcoal. Tried all the others.

Lump for searing steaks, but I use less now that I have one of those dual burner Mr. Steak Infrared table top grills. Amazing they are. Maillard Reaction is where it's at for better flavored steak.

Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Charcoal? - 06/03/19
Gibby, if you have a chimney starter try searing your steaks on top of it. My infrared gun sez well over 1K degrees . Does a wonderful job.

Don't walk away from it !
That's what the Mr. Steak reaches. Over 1000F. Plus lots of heat rays. You need long tongs. Wintertime, wear a t-shirt almost. Heats up in three minutes, 90 seconds sear on each side, turn the knobs to low. Cook until the MK4 thermometer reaches 118-120 then take off. A 1 1/4"-1 1/2" steak will sizzle up to 130 in the middle. Perfect medium rare. Juicy as all get out. I took a gamble buying this since I have Weber Kettles and WSM, but I love it.

I have an infrared gun, but never tested it. I will.
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Charcoal? - 06/03/19
Cool.

I just bought a 4 pack of small REs.

I think I'll do 'em start to finish on the chimney
Let us know how it works out. Should work well. Hotter the better.
© 24hourcampfire