Home
Posted By: Chumleyhunts Ground Meat Ideas needed - 08/05/19
I have a pile of ground beef and venison in my freezer still. Just looking for ideas to use it. Already overdosed on burgers, meatloaf, meatballs, tacos. We make "hamburger gravy" over noodles or fried spuds about once a week too. Moose hunt in October, Pa and NY deer season, and we get about 300 pounds of ground meat a year from my boss from the rodeo when he culls off the bulls. I'm sure we will have a ton to use come winter.
Mix it with pork and make some breakfast sausage
Tacos......lots of Tacos.

Kidding aside.....there are a lot of Mexican dishes that call for ground beef.
Posted By: Remsen Re: Ground Meat Ideas needed - 08/05/19
Jerky
Summer sausage. Can gift that stuff pretty easy.

Other endless options as well.
Posted By: nighthawk Re: Ground Meat Ideas needed - 08/05/19
My grandmother would make a sort of goulash hot dish all us kids loved, I still do, and I guess it survives as some sort of hot dish. No real recipe, make it to taste. Cook up some elbow macaroni. In a pan brown up the meat with a chopped onion. Add about half ketchup and half BBQ sauce to make a sauce. Season, Mostly I'll go with salt, pepper, garlic powder, Very small pinch of red pepper flakes and a little liquid smoke (in memory of Grandma and her wood stove). But sometimes I'll add a little chili powder or Italian seasoning or cumin or whatever sounds good at the time. Drain macaroni and add to the meat. Leftovers really good late at night warmed up and a little more in a frying pan.
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Ground Meat Ideas needed - 08/05/19
Ground beef has to be one of the most versatile proteins. Gotta be a couple hundred thousand recipes out there.

This is one of my famous Dad's dumpster delights. My own version of a stroganoff with mushrooms and cheese tortellini.

[Linked Image]

That looks good Fats.....I might have to try making a batch....if I can get the OP to send me some ground meat. smile
Posted By: mathman Re: Ground Meat Ideas needed - 08/05/19
You could use the ground meat in some variations of rice dressing.
Never heard of rice dressing before.
Hit the search engine Jim, there are many variations. The straight cajun style doesn't use ground meat, but there are hybrids that do and they are really good too.
I just did.

It called for gizzards, livers and ground pork!

Sounded delicious!

The family cringed a bit....
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Ground Meat Ideas needed - 08/05/19
How about some stuffed bell peppers? They're fantastic.
Mom will make a rice casserole with ground beef and cream of mushroom.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
I just did.

Sounded delicious!

It is delicious.
Posted By: 805 Re: Ground Meat Ideas needed - 08/05/19
Tater Tot hotdish!

https://www.tablespoon.com/recipes/easy-tater-tot-hotdish/4ad6c17d-15e4-4088-a9c2-d1b3ee16f155
Heck to the yeah.

Originally Posted by JGRaider

[Linked Image]
[quote=Chumleyhunts]
Already overdosed on burgers!

The hell you say!

Blasphemy!
One can't OD on burgers.

Burgers are the fruit of the land.
Dey's lots a ways youse can fix burgers
Single burgers.
Double burgers
Triple burgers,
Cheese burgers
Two cheese burgers,
Pickle burgers
Onion burgers
Mushroom burgers
Burgers with ketchup...

Day's about it
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
That looks good Fats.....I might have to try making a batch....if I can get the OP to send me some ground meat. smile

Got the written out recipe and various stages of pics posted around this forum somewhere. That is after you gets your meat.
Posted By: Showdog75 Re: Ground Meat Ideas needed - 08/05/19
One not mentioned is Shepherd's Pie. Delicious when done up right.
Posted By: gsganzer Re: Ground Meat Ideas needed - 08/05/19
Try making Bobotie, the official dish of South Africa. It's similar to meatloaf, but a very different flavor. My kids love it! As far as pairing with a red wine, see if you have a Total Wine near you and ask for a South African Pinotage.

We had this traditional African meal during our stay in South Africa. It's delicious paired with a red wine. The Africans mix the meat, rice and chutney together on their plate. Then they sprinkle coconut on top. Enjoy! Serves about 8

Ingredients:
2 lbs ground beef, lamb or game meat
Butter and vegetable oil
2 onions chopped
1/2 tsp crushed garlic
1 tbl curry powder
1 tsp ground turmeric
5 allspice seeds, crushed
2 tsp coriander
3 whole cloves, crushed
2 slices stale bread
1/4 cup whole milk
finely grated rind and juice of 1/2 lemon
1 egg
1 tsp salt and 1 tsp black pepper
3 ounces dried apricots
1 granny smith apple, peeled, cored chopped
1/4 cup golden raisins
1/4 cup slivered almonds
6 bay leaves

Topping:
1 cup whole milk (approximately), you want it slightly runnier than scrambled egg consistency.
2 eggs
1/2 tsp salt

Other:
2 cups yellow rice. (Prepare per package directions)
Fruit chutley

Heat butter and oil in a saucepan and fry the onion and garlic until translucent. Stir in the curry powder and turmeric and cook briefly until fragrant. Remove from heat and combine in large bowl with meat, and remaining ingredients (except for topping ingredients and bay leaves). Once mixed, spread into buttered casserole dish and level the top. Roll the bay leaves into little spears and bury them into the layered mix, evenly spaced. Cover top of casserole tightly with foil and bake at 325F for 1 1/4 hours.
Increase oven to 400F. Mix together the topping ingredients (if you used a large casserole, you may need to increase the ingredient amounts). Pour over the casserole and bake uncovered for an additional 15 minutes until cooked and lightly browned.

Serve with yellow rice and fruit chutney
Some great ideas! Thanks fellas. Keep em coming. Forgot all about stuffed peppers, may have to make a huge batch of Hunkie Hand Grenades too!!! The cheese tortellini with shrooms caught the wife's eye. And the African recipe I will certainly give a go
Stroganoff or however you spell it.
Posted By: gkt5450 Re: Ground Meat Ideas needed - 08/06/19
Save enough to get you thru till the moose is in.
Share it w someone who needs it. Deputy Sheriff could probably point you to a good candidate.
I’m not judging just suggesting.

Have a great hunt.
Posted By: MILES58 Re: Ground Meat Ideas needed - 08/06/19
Originally Posted by FishinHank
Mix it with pork and make some breakfast sausage

This, and bratwurst. A.C. Legg seasoning mix.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Ground Meat Ideas needed - 08/06/19
https://riflesandrecipes.com/product/sausage-season/

This book, by my wife, has over 100 ideas for what to do with game burger.
Sloppy Joes: Barbecue Sauce,yellow mustard and a touch of Worcestershire sauce

Green chili, potato soup and ground elk for a stew.

Stuffed peppers, but instead of tomatoes, mix in green enchilada sauce with ground meat and rice. Cover with sharp cheddar and melt in the oven
Gawd....I made something tonight with two pounds of ground beef.

It had noodles in it. One pot meal. I had envisioned it being quick and easy.

It was neither of those things.

Wasn't very good either!
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Ground Meat Ideas needed - 08/06/19
Gawd....I made something tonight with two pounds of ground beef.

It had noodles in it. One pot meal. I had envisioned it being quick and easy.

It was neither of those things.

Wasn't very good either!

Hah!

I’ve had a few of those. Shoulda stopped before I even got started but just couldn’t help myself.
I just did.

Sounded delicious!

I make dirty rice with chicken hearts, livers, and ground pork.

I absolutely love the stuff.
Originally Posted by FatCity67
Heck to the yeah.

Originally Posted by JGRaider

[Linked Image]

Absolutely!

I love a good stuffed pepper!
Posted By: Judman Re: Ground Meat Ideas needed - 08/06/19
Head to wal mart, hamburger helper!!! Haha 😂😂
[Linked Image]top baby names 1912
Taco meat in there
For several years, me and momma ate buck burger and top ramen several nights a week... Wasn't too bad.
Posted By: gsganzer Re: Ground Meat Ideas needed - 08/07/19
I made stuffed peppers last night. Man, were they good! I have 2 left over for lunch today.
I make a rice dish that goes well with about everything.I cook a cup of brown Basmati rice with 2 1/2cups of water,a little salt and about a tablespoon of oil,you can use butter,I've been using coconut oil,in a covered pot.Bring to a boil,then turn the heat down to med low for 45min.After 45min,turn off the heat and let it set.Next I saute a head of chopped garlic and one or two chopped shallots in a couple tablespoons of butter on a med low heat.I like to use shallots instead of onions because I've found they cook at the same rate.If you use onions,you need to cook them first until almost done before you add the garlic because the garlic cooks much quicker.Once this is starting to brown just a little,remove the garlic and shallots and put them in a small bowl.Put the pan back on the stove,add a little olive oil and add asparagus cut up in about 1" pieces.Saute it on about med heat,add a little salt,garlic powder and black pepper.When it's about done,I add about a table spoon of butter,add the sauted garlic and shallots back in with the asparagus and cook until the asparagus is done,but not over cooked.Then add the rice and mix all together.This makes a great side dish or you can add browned ground meat,sliced grilled meat,shrimp,just about any kind of meat.
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Ground Meat Ideas needed - 08/07/19
Originally Posted by Judman
Head to wal mart, hamburger helper!!! Haha 😂😂

Deb makes it herself from scratch !

I'll hit her up for the recipe.

Don't think it was mentioned, but hamdeerburger soup is fantastic & a winter staple for us.

Get Eileen's book !!
Never tried doing a stir fry with ground meat but it was really good.Had some ground red deer,added some mushroom soy sauce,regular soy sauce,fresh grated ginger,garlic and red pepper flakes.Sauted the meat with some coconut oil,then added sliced green onion,celery and broccoli.After done,served over rice.Very simple and quick to make and surprisingly good.
Jim Conrad,
I’ll cook some after I get to Shelby...one you that much for the kind words and encouragement.
Posted By: thirdbite Re: Ground Meat Ideas needed - 09/02/19
try chile sauce (bottled) and green pepper.
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Ground Meat Ideas needed - 09/04/19
Spagetti, chile and lasagna. Hamburger steaks topped with different things. Meat pies. Lots of things you can do with ground meat. Meat ball stews or ground meat stews and soups. Smothered squash or cabbage with ground meat.
Hamburger pie. My grandmother used to make it. Brown the meat with some onions and garlic and whatever other veggies you might like to include. Season with salt and pepper and whatever else floats your boat. Drain and place in a pie shell and put another pie crust on top. Cut a couple of vents in the top of the crust. Bake in a 350 degree oven until the crust is browned. Slice and serve. I like mine with catsup.
Posted By: 2ndwind Re: Ground Meat Ideas needed - 09/11/19
Venison pasties We use carrots in ours.... often just buy pie crust from the refrigerated section..... These thing freeze really well.... never try to reheat in microwave or they get soggy.... We stopped making venison sausage after my digestive system rebelled against the fat. We just use coarse ground pure venison. Love these things

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvmwrXWbiPM

Have also used the same venison stir-fried with veggies and orange sauce.... over rice.
I take what burger I have left before hunting season starts and make chili. I put it up in lunch size portions for myself. It goes pretty quick that way.
If your good at pastries you can make up a bunch of meat pies and freeze them up as well. The key for me to use it up is to have it prepared and easy and quick to get to my mouth.
Just made some soup with Beefalo yesterday!

I used;

1Lb ground beefalo, fried W/ 1/2 of a diced onion

1 package of riced califlower W/veggies

2 cans beef broth

2 tbsp. green Tobasco

1 tbsp red Tobasco

Stirred 1 heaped Tbsp. sour creme into each serving

Turned out pretty darn good!

Virgil B.
© 24hourcampfire