Home
Posted By: wabigoon Pickled Herring - 12/23/19
I bought a pound for the relish tray Christmas Day. I hope it lasts, I love that pickled fish.
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Pickled Herring - 12/23/19
As a kid living near Washington D.C. we used to snag herring out of the Potomac river by the bushel packed into baskets salted selling them to a couple of deli nearby. Lotsa fun.
Posted By: chris_c Re: Pickled Herring - 12/23/19
Wife likes pickled Herring. I prefer the pickled northern I make.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Pickled Herring - 12/23/19
Send me some Chris! laugh
Posted By: fremont Re: Pickled Herring - 12/23/19
Norwegian breath mints. Yum
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Pickled Herring - 12/23/19
Originally Posted by fremont

Yuck!

And I love pickled herring!
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Pickled Herring - 12/23/19
Y'all can have all my share. Never seen it, don't think I care to. Must be a Northern thing.......lol.
Posted By: chris_c Re: Pickled Herring - 12/23/19
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Send me some Chris! laugh

Just have to stop by. šŸ˜
Posted By: Poconojack Re: Pickled Herring - 12/23/19

The VITA Herring in Wine Sauce and ā€˜Blind Robbinsā€™ smoked herring have always been favorites.
Both commercially available.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Pickled Herring - 12/23/19
Just ask at your local supermarket, James. It'll be in the refrigerated section. There's wine and sour cream style. Get the wine kind. Put a piece on a saltine and see what the fuss is about.

You'll be pickling bluegill and catfish come summer, I predict. Both are excellent. It's easy, and there are a bunch of online recipes.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Pickled Herring - 12/23/19
My folks liked it, and I always have thought that it looks appealing, but somehow I just have never developed a taste for it. It looks appealing, but that's as far as I get. (The exception to the "appealing" is any home-made stuff that is disintegrating, with bits and pieces swirling about in the jar.)
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Pickled Herring - 12/23/19
Originally Posted by 5sdad
My folks liked it, and I always have thought that it looks appealing, but somehow I just have never developed a taste for it. It looks appealing, but that's as far as I get. (The exception to the "appealing" is any home-made stuff that is disintegrating, with bits and pieces swirling about in the jar.)

You must have a gas leak in your house.

A jar of slimy, smelly fish looks appealing to you....but a picture of pot of Cajun gumbo turns you away????

Get to fresh air immediately.......take no chances!
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Pickled Herring - 12/23/19
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by 5sdad

You must have a gas leak in your house.

A jar of slimy, smelly fish looks appealing to you....but a picture of pot of Cajun gumbo turns you away????

Get to fresh air immediately.......take no chances!

It possibly would only be the picture, the real thing would be appealing.
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Pickled Herring - 12/23/19
I like it on a Ritz cracker.
Posted By: Remsen Re: Pickled Herring - 12/23/19
One of the favorites in my family...a piece of pickled herring with the pickled onions on a piece of rye or a triscuit and a schnapps (in Yiddish, a schnapps actually refers to whisky or other strong spirit, and in our family it always means Jack Daniels).
Posted By: Terryk Re: Pickled Herring - 12/23/19
I prefer the Vita in wine, but the sour cream is also very good. Pretty much a classic in central Europe.
They also carry another brand locally in wine with dill. That is also a treat.
Posted By: Dutch Re: Pickled Herring - 12/29/19
I'm partial to the Dutch version (pickled with a pickle in the middle) for obvious reasons. Hard to find stateside, but if you see "rollmops", it's the real deal, and worth trying.
Posted By: Wannabebwana Re: Pickled Herring - 12/29/19
I like the wine type, eat it right out of the jar.

Slavyanka buys different kinds of herring, pickled in brine, in oil, or just salted. I can take it or leave it, really depends on the recipe from batch to batch.

Same with kosher dills. Some are really good, other times they get a kinda musty taste.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Pickled Herring - 12/29/19
It is a good thing they cost a bunch, I'd founder on it.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Pickled Herring - 12/30/19
My family always had pickled herring for New Years. For good luck!
Posted By: vbshootinrange Re: Pickled Herring - 12/30/19
After reading this post, I went to a local market, and bought some pickled herring.

Yuck! Not something I liked at all. But, I did give it a try. I'll try ALMOST anything....once!

Virgil B.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Pickled Herring - 12/30/19
Kudos for that, Virg.
If you like pickled herring, try this, eat a piece then immediately chase it with a shot of ice cold vodka or aquavit, you will thank me later. Ice cold means store the bottle in the freezer for a day or more.
Posted By: gunswizard Re: Pickled Herring - 12/30/19
pickled herring whether in wine sauce or sour cream is great on triscuit crackers.
Posted By: Terryk Re: Pickled Herring - 12/30/19
Originally Posted by prarie_creek_station
If you like pickled herring, try this, eat a piece then immediately chase it with a shot of ice cold vodka or aquavit, you will thank me later. Ice cold means store the bottle in the freezer for a day or more.

That is a Slavic treat. A classic.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Pickled Herring - 12/31/19
Originally Posted by gunswizard
pickled herring whether in wine sauce or sour cream is great on triscuit crackers.

Everything is better when it sits on a Ritz.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Pickled Herring - 12/31/19
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by gunswizard

Everything is better when it sits on a Ritz.

'
To further my descent into the outer darkness, I don't like Triscuits, either.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Pickled Herring - 12/31/19
Well then John, what is your stance on vanilla ice cream? Too spicy eh? laugh
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Pickled Herring - 12/31/19

Vanilla ice cream I can handle, although I don't like to have those little fly specks in it.

As to my "stance" on it, one time when we were exhibiting our dangerous tendencies by shooting down toy soldiers with rubber band guns, we happened to have bowls of ice cream sitting on the floor to be eaten between volleys. As I rolled over to grab more ammunition, I felt my toes getting cold. Further examination revealed my foot to be in Dennis's bowl of ice cream.
Posted By: fremont Re: Pickled Herring - 12/31/19
It's funny, as I've gotten older, I like it less than as a kid. I used to actually take allowance money and buy it at a downtown store--both wine and sour cream style. My mother would buy it at a fish market and we'd sit in the front seat and eat it out of the container. Now, I go in streaks--if it's out, I might hanker for some and eat 2 or 3 pieces, but that's about it.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Pickled Herring - 12/31/19
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Well then John, what is your stance on vanilla ice cream? Too spicy eh? laugh

Just donā€™t put it on his apple pie!

PH is good on triscuits too. I was channeling the old ad. (add, if one prefers). šŸ˜†
Posted By: RandyR Re: Pickled Herring - 12/31/19
This is the recipe I use mostly on whitebass and whitefish. The whitefish are definitely better with Rhine wine.

1 Cup salt to 1 quart water for brine. Soak 24 hours. Rinse salt brine off. Cover with white vinegar for 24 hours, DONT rinse. Prepare pickle brine ahead of time to let it cool. SECRET RECIPE. SHHHH Dont tell any one. 4 Cups port or Rhine wine . 2 cups vinegar,3 cups sugar, 3/4 cup water. 3 Tablespoons pickling spice, bring to a boil 5 minutes. let cool. Layer fish and onions pour in pickle brine. It will be good to eat in 2 days , but longer is better. Im telling you this recipe is just like something you would buy in a store. the secret is the extra wine and extra sugar. and the elimination of vinegar.It already has enough of the vinegar taste from the first brine. Most recipes are too salty and too sour , and not sweet enough.Try this and I guarantee it will be the best
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Pickled Herring - 01/01/20
Elimination of vinegar? Your recipe calls for two cups of it.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Pickled Herring - 01/01/20
I only started this on the herring because I did not think the section was ready for ginger snaps! laugh
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Pickled Herring - 01/01/20
You can get pickled ginger, you know. I once knew a Ginger who got pickled, but that's a tale I can't tell here.
Posted By: RandyR Re: Pickled Herring - 01/01/20
I copied the recipe and always use vinegar, the whitefish taste just like the store bought stuff.

Wife doesn't eat it but drinks the rest of the wine at least.
Posted By: nighthawk Re: Pickled Herring - 01/02/20
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
You can get pickled ginger, you know. I once knew a Ginger who got pickled, but that's a tale I can't tell here.

Always thought a pickled Mary Ann would be cool.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Pickled Herring - 01/02/20
Originally Posted by nighthawk

Always thought a pickled Mary Ann would be cool.

Mary Anne has gotten plenty pickled, judging by the photos and arrest records...

I will take the Ginger if it is pickled...
Posted By: nighthawk Re: Pickled Herring - 01/02/20
No! Noooo! You've ruined my sweet fantasy by introducing reality! My dreams will never be the same now. laugh
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Pickled Herring - 01/03/20
Originally Posted by nighthawk
No! Noooo! You've ruined my sweet fantasy by introducing reality! My dreams will never be the same now. laugh

Probably the result of age more than reality....

Well, maybe that is reality...
wink
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Pickled Herring - 01/03/20
Back on topic...Going to the commissary today for our big monthly grocery shopping. I think I'll slip a jar of herring into the cart. Wife doesn't eat it, and doesn't like my "herring breath" when I do - but some hankerings just must be indulged. Maybe I'll promise to save it until one of her days out.

The question is: wine packed or sour cream? (I know the response to that!)
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Pickled Herring - 01/03/20
I don't think I.ve tried the sour cream style. Just as well.
Posted By: Terryk Re: Pickled Herring - 01/03/20
Back on topic...Going to the commissary today for our big monthly grocery shopping. I think I'll slip a jar of herring into the cart. Wife doesn't eat it, and doesn't like my "herring breath" when I do - but some hankerings just must be indulged. Maybe I'll promise to save it until one of her days out.

The question is: wine packed or sour cream? (I know the response to that!)

I sometimes add sour cream to the wine packed, and even fresh dill.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Pickled Herring - 01/04/20
Iā€™ve only had the cream style.

Perhaps you should get one of each.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Pickled Herring - 01/04/20
Wow, such a fuss over pickled fish.
Posted By: longarm Re: Pickled Herring - 01/04/20
Yum. Love the sour cream style
Posted By: mudstud Re: Pickled Herring - 01/04/20

I've enjoyed the regular pickled Herring in wine sauce forever, but I had never tried the sour cream style. This afternoon, in the supermarket, I noticed they had two versions of the sour cream style, one was sour cream with dill, and the other was a Cajun (?) style sour cream. So, of course, I purchased one of each. When I try them, I will post my opinion. Two comments: 1.) They were very expensive. 2.) What the heck do Cajuns have to do with pickled Herring? LOL
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Pickled Herring - 01/05/20
Originally Posted by mudstud
...What the heck do Cajuns have to do with pickled Herring? LOL

"This is the forest primeval, the whispering pines and the hemlock...."
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Pickled Herring - 01/05/20
I'm glad mine is all gone, I need to eat less.
Posted By: mathman Re: Pickled Herring - 01/06/20
Originally Posted by fremont

You made me think of Cajun breath mints. grin

[Linked Image from i5.walmartimages.com]
Posted By: mudstud Re: Pickled Herring - 01/06/20

Ate some of the Cajun style sour cream fillets last night. Very good!!
© 24hourcampfire