Home
My wife loves these sandwiches and here where we live in spotheast Oklahoma it is 100 miles to the closest restaurant that has them on the menu. This morning when I got up I told her I was going to try and make her a Bahn mi sandwich for dinner tonight since it was raining and I didn't have anything planned for the day.

I have made bread before on my Bubba Keg so using the no knead bread recipe I made some homemade French Baguettes. I thought that turned out well for the 1st try.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I had some pork ribs that I smoked until tender enough that I could pull the bones out and I then sliced it into thin slices. made some pickled carrots and radishes , sliced a cucumber, a onion and a Jalapeno along with some cilantro. The wife said it was good. I thought so also. I also ate a couple of the ribs.

Looks good. I used to eat the hell out of those when we lived in Calgary.
Oh hell yes....I'd gladly eat that! Nice job RNF. Wanna share the bread recipe?
Originally Posted by BOWHUNR
Oh hell yes....I'd gladly eat that! Nice job RNF. Wanna share the bread recipe?

BOWHUNR,
I just followed the recipe on the video.

Originally Posted by EdM
Looks good. I used to eat the hell out of those when we lived in Calgary.

EDM,

Happy birthday.Looks like we were born on the same day, just a few years apart.
Damn good stuff. Everytime wife and I are in Austin Tx, we eat at a place in Chinatown called Lilly's Sandwich. Bbq pork all the way. Add a little hot oil and a few drops of Sriracha.
Looks really good RNF.

Never knew how good those Vietnamese sandwiches are, until I went to a small deli in Portlandia. Great flavors, and usually good prices.

Jason
Cilantro ruins them for me, but I do indeed love a Bahn mi without it. We have a local chain called Pho Bahn, serving all kinds of soups (Pho) and sandwiches (Bahn mi). I need to go there more often.
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Cilantro ruins them for me, but I do indeed love a Bahn mi without it. We have a local chain called Pho Bahn, serving all kinds of soups (Pho) and sandwiches (Bahn mi). I need to go there more often.

Rocky,
I am not as big a fan of the Banh mi as my wife but I love the Pho and that's what I always get.
Originally Posted by RNF
My wife loves these sandwiches and here where we live in spotheast Oklahoma it is 100 miles to the closest restaurant that has them on the menu. This morning when I got up I told her I was going to try and make her a Bahn mi sandwich for dinner tonight since it was raining and I didn't have anything planned for the day.

I have made bread before on my Bubba Keg so using the no knead bread recipe I made some homemade French Baguettes. I thought that turned out well for the 1st try.

I had some pork ribs that I smoked until tender enough that I could pull the bones out and I then sliced it into thin slices. made some pickled carrots and radishes , sliced a cucumber, a onion and a Jalapeno along with some cilantro. The wife said it was good. I thought so also. I also ate a couple of the ribs.

Now that there is love !

Lynn
Miss Lynn,

I learned a long time ago happy wife happy life.
Originally Posted by RockyRaab

Cilantro tastes like soap.
I dated a Vietnamese woman for a year and had some awesome homemade foods, but I’ve never had a Bahn Mi.

If I have extra time when I’m on the road for work, I’ll usually look for a VN place and get Pho. Maybe next time I’ll try Bahn Mi.

I always get the house special Pho, with tendon and tripe.
I eat anything. Just about damn near ANYTHING, but you gotta be careful with vietnamese anything homemade. Knew a beautiful and wonderful family from Vietnam who would meticulously pick and pull apart ANY part of the the dead animal and grind it into the dish. Just saying. I always throw cartilage away.
We had everything needed to make a banh mi, or at least my amateur rendition, so I tried making it for the first time.

Quick pickled veg had carrot, onion, and serranos. Water, sugar, vinegar. I rinsed the veg after the soak.

Baguette, shaved turkey not pork, little mayo, cukes, and cilantro. It was a big hit. We'll be doing more, with different combos.

Nice looking food!
I love a good banh mi. Fortunate here to have a Vietnamese joint on every corner. Place is over run with pho joints.

My Ban Mi place puts Jicama on theirs.
looks good

Sounds so good I may have to order some today!
There is a small chain of shops called Lee's Sandwiches, primarily in Orange County but now have branched out into the Inland Empire (Riverside and San Bernardino Counties) as well as a couple places in Los Angeles County. They are know for their fresh baked baguettes and croissants. Their baguettes make wonderful Banh Mi sandwiches and they offer a wide variety. My favorite is the barbecued pork. They have pickled carrots, onions and a couple pieces of jalapeno as well as cilantro. (Sorry - I love cilantro in the right amount and in the right foods.) My wife prefers their croissants.

If you ever get to So Cal, look up one of their shops. Their bread is baked fresh all day long with a slight crisp to the crust and tender inside.
Thanh Thanh. Local shop. Yum yum.

Didn't realize there were so many South East Asian food devotees on here.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
I love a good Banh Mi but do without cilantro. Which gets me funny looks sometimes. Delicious with roast pork. If FatCity was buying, I'd opt for #6.
Dude, I'll send you a 10 spot & you can go nuts !
Originally Posted by 4th_point
We had everything needed to make a banh mi, or at least my amateur rendition, so I tried making it for the first time.

Quick pickled veg had carrot, onion, and serranos. Water, sugar, vinegar. I rinsed the veg after the soak.

Baguette, shaved turkey not pork, little mayo, cukes, and cilantro. It was a big hit. We'll be doing more, with different combos.

4th Point your banh mi looks good. makes me want to try it again.
Originally Posted by FatCity67

Oh my.
there's a noteworthy vietnamese place nearby, should research the food and check it out, would be a first for me
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Dude, I'll send you a 10 spot & you can go nuts !

If a CDN 10 spot, he'll need to pay the difference for one sandwich!
Looks really good. Some Banh mi has liver pate on it and also a Vietnamese version of Kim Chi. The obligatory hot basil, cilantro, lime and mint is a nice addition. A bit of fish sauce and Shri Racha or other hot sauce would kick it in for me. Maybe a bit of peanut sauce and red oil plus soy too. I am of the school that nothing succeeds like excess.

You done good so feel free to ignore me.
laugh

Hey, never look a gift horse, in the anus !

grin
Ordered two for our dinner Wednesday. Traditional Vietnamese: Pork sausage, jambon, pickled veggies, jalapeno, with a smear of liver pate but no cilantro. They were so big we each ate a half, then split a half between us and were stuffed. I dribbled some fish sauce into mine. Wonderful. I had the final half yesterday for lunch.
Originally Posted by RNF
4th Point your banh mi looks good. makes me want to try it again.

Thanks! The pickled veg makes all the difference for me.

There was a deli that I used to go to that had a really good spicy sandwich relish. I wish I had the recipe for that stuff.

Jason
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by FatCity67

Oh my.

Flave, there are several of these places over by the Foodtown, Stirling Rd and Davie Rd Extension. Another one over behind Scrubby's BBQ at University and Pines.
LD,

That area is a gold mine. Thanks.

© 24hourcampfire