Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
RNF Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
My wife loves these sandwiches and here where we live in spotheast Oklahoma it is 100 miles to the closest restaurant that has them on the menu. This morning when I got up I told her I was going to try and make her a Bahn mi sandwich for dinner tonight since it was raining and I didn't have anything planned for the day.

I have made bread before on my Bubba Keg so using the no knead bread recipe I made some homemade French Baguettes. I thought that turned out well for the 1st try.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I had some pork ribs that I smoked until tender enough that I could pull the bones out and I then sliced it into thin slices. made some pickled carrots and radishes , sliced a cucumber, a onion and a Jalapeno along with some cilantro. The wife said it was good. I thought so also. I also ate a couple of the ribs.

A gun in the hand is worth more than the entire police force on the phone.
GB1

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Looks good. I used to eat the hell out of those when we lived in Calgary.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Oh hell yes....I'd gladly eat that! Nice job RNF. Wanna share the bread recipe?

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
R
RNF Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by BOWHUNR
Oh hell yes....I'd gladly eat that! Nice job RNF. Wanna share the bread recipe?

BOWHUNR,
I just followed the recipe on the video.

R
RNF Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by EdM
Looks good. I used to eat the hell out of those when we lived in Calgary.

EDM,

Happy birthday.Looks like we were born on the same day, just a few years apart.

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Damn good stuff. Everytime wife and I are in Austin Tx, we eat at a place in Chinatown called Lilly's Sandwich. Bbq pork all the way. Add a little hot oil and a few drops of Sriracha.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Looks really good RNF.

Never knew how good those Vietnamese sandwiches are, until I went to a small deli in Portlandia. Great flavors, and usually good prices.

Jason

Last edited by 4th_point; 12/28/19.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Cilantro ruins them for me, but I do indeed love a Bahn mi without it. We have a local chain called Pho Bahn, serving all kinds of soups (Pho) and sandwiches (Bahn mi). I need to go there more often.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

R
RNF Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Cilantro ruins them for me, but I do indeed love a Bahn mi without it. We have a local chain called Pho Bahn, serving all kinds of soups (Pho) and sandwiches (Bahn mi). I need to go there more often.

Rocky,
I am not as big a fan of the Banh mi as my wife but I love the Pho and that's what I always get.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by RNF
My wife loves these sandwiches and here where we live in spotheast Oklahoma it is 100 miles to the closest restaurant that has them on the menu. This morning when I got up I told her I was going to try and make her a Bahn mi sandwich for dinner tonight since it was raining and I didn't have anything planned for the day.

I have made bread before on my Bubba Keg so using the no knead bread recipe I made some homemade French Baguettes. I thought that turned out well for the 1st try.

I had some pork ribs that I smoked until tender enough that I could pull the bones out and I then sliced it into thin slices. made some pickled carrots and radishes , sliced a cucumber, a onion and a Jalapeno along with some cilantro. The wife said it was good. I thought so also. I also ate a couple of the ribs.

Now that there is love !

Lynn

IC B3

R
RNF Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Miss Lynn,

I learned a long time ago happy wife happy life.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RockyRaab

Cilantro tastes like soap.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
I dated a Vietnamese woman for a year and had some awesome homemade foods, but I’ve never had a Bahn Mi.

If I have extra time when I’m on the road for work, I’ll usually look for a VN place and get Pho. Maybe next time I’ll try Bahn Mi.

I always get the house special Pho, with tendon and tripe.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I eat anything. Just about damn near ANYTHING, but you gotta be careful with vietnamese anything homemade. Knew a beautiful and wonderful family from Vietnam who would meticulously pick and pull apart ANY part of the the dead animal and grind it into the dish. Just saying. I always throw cartilage away.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We had everything needed to make a banh mi, or at least my amateur rendition, so I tried making it for the first time.

Quick pickled veg had carrot, onion, and serranos. Water, sugar, vinegar. I rinsed the veg after the soak.

Baguette, shaved turkey not pork, little mayo, cukes, and cilantro. It was a big hit. We'll be doing more, with different combos.

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Nice looking food!
I love a good banh mi. Fortunate here to have a Vietnamese joint on every corner. Place is over run with pho joints.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

My Ban Mi place puts Jicama on theirs.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
looks good

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Sounds so good I may have to order some today!

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There is a small chain of shops called Lee's Sandwiches, primarily in Orange County but now have branched out into the Inland Empire (Riverside and San Bernardino Counties) as well as a couple places in Los Angeles County. They are know for their fresh baked baguettes and croissants. Their baguettes make wonderful Banh Mi sandwiches and they offer a wide variety. My favorite is the barbecued pork. They have pickled carrots, onions and a couple pieces of jalapeno as well as cilantro. (Sorry - I love cilantro in the right amount and in the right foods.) My wife prefers their croissants.

If you ever get to So Cal, look up one of their shops. Their bread is baked fresh all day long with a slight crisp to the crust and tender inside.

Last edited by Calif. Hunter; 07/21/20.

�That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.� George Orwell
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (007FJ, 160user, 1eyedmule, 10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 58 invisible), 2,568 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,476
Posts18,471,546
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.