Home
Posted By: 284LUVR Enchilada sauce - 01/17/20
For the last few days I've been having dreams of a huge pan of enchiladas all rolled up waitng for me to dive in. Problem is tho' is I've never made the sauce and the canned stuff needs to be doctored up to even come close to being goods eats.

Internet is full of recipes but it would be more fun if you guys came up with one for me ???? grin grin laugh

Let'er rip !!!!! and be quick about it 'cause I'm hungry and this leftover pizza for breakfast is almost gone.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Enchilada sauce - 01/17/20
HOT peppers, a little tomato paste, more HOT peppers. laugh
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Enchilada sauce - 01/17/20
This area is not known for anything other than great beef......and hamburger casserole.

Kent Rollins has a recipe that I would love to try. But my family thinks that Maple syrup is too spicy.
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Enchilada sauce - 01/17/20
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
......and hamburger casserole.

Kent Rollins has a recipe that I would love to try.

Haha

Hamburger helper through the week and one of Kent's concoctions on Sunday.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Good eats !!!!! laugh
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Enchilada sauce - 01/17/20
This is chili weather if there ever was. Beef roast today, a ham loaf waiting. [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Enchilada sauce - 01/17/20
https://kentrollins.com/homemade-cowboy-enchiladas/

This one?

Homemade Enchiladas
Ingredients
1 lb. hamburger meat
1 yellow onion chopped (divided)
1 4 oz. can chopped green chiles
salt and pepper to taste
12 dried guajillo chiles
3 teaspoons minced garlic divided
3 8 oz cans tomato sauce
1 ½ teaspoons chile powder
1 teaspoon cumin
2 teaspoons ancho chile powder
1/3 cup chicken broth
8 flour tortillas
3 - 4 cups shredded cheese
Instructions
In a cast iron skillet, begin browning the meat over medium heat. When the meat begins to brown, stir in ½ the yellow onion and green chiles. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Continue cooking until the meat is cooked through. Set aside.
In a pot, add the guajillo chiles with ½ cup water, the remaining ½ yellow onion and 1 teaspoon garlic. Simmer over medium heat until the peppers soften slightly.
Remove the onions and peppers from the pot. Remove the stems and the seeds from the chiles. Chop and place the onions and chiles in a blender. Stir in the tomato sauce, 2 teaspoons garlic, chile powder, cumin and ancho chile. Salt and pepper, to taste. Blend until smooth.
Pour the mixture back into the pot. Add the chicken broth and simmer on medium-low for a couple minutes, stirring occasionally.
Spread a light, even layer of the sauce on the bottom of a 12” Dutch oven or large casserole dish.
Spoon the meat mixture onto the tortillas, sprinkle with cheese and tightly roll. Place in the Dutch oven and repeat with the remaining meat, cheese and tortillas.
Spoon the remaining sauce over the enchiladas. Bake at 350 degrees F for about 25 minutes or until tortillas soften. Sprinkle an even amount of cheese on top and continue baking until melted.
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Enchilada sauce - 01/17/20
Honestly get a good two cans of red enchilada sauce and jar of Doña Maria mole. Mix couple spoonfuls of mole into heated enchilada sauce till medium thick adjust to taste. Maybe a little chicken stock if too thick.

Mix some of the sauce into your shredded meat. I like to add diced onions and sometimes chopped Anaheim chiles to meat.

Heat corn tortillas in damp towel in microwave till soft. Dip tortilla into sauce with tongs drip off excess, roll meat and shredded jack cheese into roll, put into casserole pan.

Fill pan up, pour sauce over top to cover completely, put shredded jack cheese on top toss into oven 325 till hot and bubbly bout 15-30min depending on how thick your sauce DONT DRY OUT.

Also try Doña Maria Adobo or Pipian mole.

Not Good enough for you?

Heres two from scratch balls to the wall recipes the wife has made and uses just adjusts to her liking. Read through comments for adjustments before trying.

https://www.rickbayless.com/recipe/chicken-enchiladas-in-brick-red-mole/

https://www.salsas.com/dona-maria/recipe/chicken-mole-enchiladas/

Wife's enchiladas and Spanish rice she uses cheddar and Oaxacan cheese as well as jack and Cotija.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Sounds easy there friend Fats. Found the ingredients @ WM. com so I'm waiting for email confirmation. Looks like Tues is earliest pickup.

Gracias

Originally Posted by FatCity67
Honestly get a good two cans of red enchilada sauce and jar of Doña Maria mole. Mix couple spoonfuls of mole into heated enchilada sauce till medium thick adjust to taste. Maybe a little chicken stock if too thick.

Mix some of the sauce into your shredded meat. I like to add diced onions and sometimes chopped Anaheim chiles to meat.

Heat corn tortillas in damp towel in microwave till soft. Dip tortilla into sauce with tongs drip off excess, roll meat and shredded jack cheese into roll, put into casserole pan.

Fill pan up, pour sauce over top to cover completely, put shredded jack cheese on top toss into oven 325 till hot and bubbly bout 15-30min depending on how thick your sauce DONT DRY OUT.

lemme know if you have questions. We use the king size corn tortillas as the regular as just to small for us.

You can also heat/soften corn tortillas individually in a skillet of hot corn oil, drain then roll. Faster in the microwave but dont get the extra flavor from cooking in the oil.

Make sure to separate each tort with a paper towel when heating a stack in the micro so they dont stick. Depends on brand as well.

Damp towel around torts is important as well in micro so they dont dry out. heat on a lower power setting to just steaming.
You da man !!!
Gonna be chicken enchiladas btw. HUGE breasts in the crockpot ATM
Oh then save the chicken juice from the pot to add to sauce as needed to thin out if needed. Also you can add a cup to sauce then cook down and get the good chicken flavor from juice.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: shootbrownelk Re: Enchilada sauce - 01/18/20
I just had chicken enchiladas for supper yesterday & today. They're always better the day after you make them. We make ours with green chilies & sauce. Yummy.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Enchilada sauce - 01/18/20
What sort of mole?

Aren't there different kinds?

What would be a "good" canned sauce?

All we get are La Victoria and Old El Paso.

(dont tell Mathman.........)
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Enchilada sauce - 01/18/20
Doña Maria mole.

Id go with La Victoria.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Enchilada sauce - 01/18/20
Mole, mole, mole......I LOVE a good mole!

Maybe 1 outta 4 Messican joints actually does a good mole. The others suck azz.

I have no answers.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Enchilada sauce - 01/18/20
Originally Posted by FatCity67
Doña Maria mole.

Id go with La Victoria.

Okay thanks.

You mentioned that earlier. I had it stuck in my head that there were different types of mole. I knew that Dona Maria was a brand name.

This stuff is a dark sauce?

I saw a green one once. Not guac either!
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Enchilada sauce - 01/18/20
They sell four different types. Mole Adobo is my favorite.

https://www.salsas.com/dona-maria/products/
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Enchilada sauce - 01/18/20
I make a world class sauce, but it’s a lot of work. Will text it to you is you want to mess with it.
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Enchilada sauce - 01/18/20
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I make a world class sauce, but it’s a lot of work. Will text it to you is you want to mess with it.

I don't do text so it would have to be a PM
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Enchilada sauce - 01/18/20
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Mole, mole, mole......I LOVE a good mole!

Maybe 1 outta 4 Messican joints actually does a good mole. The others suck azz.

I have no answers.

If ya want some really bad messican eats then come to West Virginia . Typically the hillbillies don't care for seasoning so ya get a meal that's bland, VERY BLAND.
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Enchilada sauce - 01/19/20
Originally Posted by 284LUVR
Gonna be chicken enchiladas btw. HUGE breasts in the crockpot ATM

Chicken gonna be changed out in favor of hamburger as Tues is a long way off and the yardbird was sooooo good. Made some delicious chicken veggie / noodle soup instead.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Enchilada sauce - 01/19/20
I find it terrible difficult to boil a chicken and not eat the dang thing.
Had that problem all my life, Shoulda learned by now
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Enchilada sauce - 01/19/20
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

I don't do text so it would have to be a PM

message sent
Thanks. I'll have to order the chilies. Not a problem.

Thanks again, Sam.
Posted By: Pugs Re: Enchilada sauce - 01/19/20
Combined a couple thread here

(1) Made a batch of GregW's easy mole (https://www.gimmesomeoven.com/holy-mole-sauce/) - very easy but a couple suggestions, move to a deep container before you immersion blender it and add just a little fresh squeezed orange to it for brightness.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

(2) Pressure cooked some elk and shredded it, sautéed some onions and used the Frontera Enchalada sauce and then added a line of the mole inside each enchilada and a little more on top.

Should be some nice work lunches this week.

Proud of ya my friend.

What's the prep / cook time on the mole (s)

Love the color.
Posted By: Pugs Re: Enchilada sauce - 01/19/20
Proud of ya my friend.

Love the color.

if you stage all the ingredients (I have a bunch of little cups) it really is a less than 30 minute process. Super easy.
Droolin' grin laugh

Just got a 2 Tex-Mex cookbooks.

Winter calories !!!!
Posted By: GregW Re: Enchilada sauce - 01/20/20
Originally Posted by Pugs
Proud of ya my friend.

Love the color.

if you stage all the ingredients (I have a bunch of little cups) it really is a less than 30 minute process. Super easy.

It's twice as good on days 2 and 3...

Those enchiladas look fantastic...
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Enchilada sauce - 01/20/20
Wow !!

Thanks Allan !

grin
Posted By: Pugs Re: Enchilada sauce - 01/20/20
One issue I seem to have these days with enchiladas (well, aside from just wanting to eat the whole tray one sitting!) is keeping the tortillas from cracking when I roll them. I didn't used to have this issue and wonder if the older ones used lard and now they don't?

I steamed them for 30 seconds in the microwave then immersed them in the pan with warm enchilada sauce before attempting to roll and still got a couple cracks. Suggestions?
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Enchilada sauce - 01/21/20
Found me a jar of mole today!
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Enchilada sauce - 01/21/20
Olé!
Posted By: Steve Re: Enchilada sauce - 01/23/20
Originally Posted by Pugs
One issue I seem to have these days with enchiladas (well, aside from just wanting to eat the whole tray one sitting!) is keeping the tortillas from cracking when I roll them. I didn't used to have this issue and wonder if the older ones used lard and now they don't?

I steamed them for 30 seconds in the microwave then immersed them in the pan with warm enchilada sauce before attempting to roll and still got a couple cracks. Suggestions?

I heat mine up on a gas burner for about 20 seconds per side (per a Mexican gal I used to know). Seems to soften them up so they don't crack.
Posted By: sse Re: Enchilada sauce - 01/25/20
© 24hourcampfire