Home
Posted By: Sitka deer Chili Bearde - 05/25/20
The boys killed two black bears so far and yesterday was the big chili cook. Roasted poblanos, Anaheim's, serranos, jalapenos, and some unknown hot little suckers, two large grocery bags full. Seared about 40 pounds of bear rolled in masa. Sauteed about 10 pounds of onions, eight garlic heads, and added 30 pounds of tomatillo. It is now cooking in two large bags in an ice chest with a couple sous vide sticks. Has been going for 16 hours so far. Tomorrow it goes into retort bags and then the pressure cooker.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Chili Bearde - 05/26/20
smile
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Chili Bearde - 05/26/20
Riley shot a black bear Monday evening, so they are three for three in four days... he had to thread the needle in alders and apparently nicked some brush. Bullet entered sideways midway down through the ribs and pulled a hard left turn and exited the exact middle of the chest, right about the first two ribs. One jelly lung and a fantastic blood trail. Bear went about 100 yards in very tight cover.

My job for tomorrow is cutting it up.
Posted By: RNF Re: Chili Bearde - 05/26/20
Your chill sounds interesting and maybe a little spicy.
Posted By: sse Re: Chili Bearde - 05/26/20
Originally Posted by RNF

i agree...some people like a little bear meat with their hot peppers
Originally Posted by sse
Originally Posted by RNF

i agree...some people like a little bear meat with their hot peppers

The peppers and tomatillos cook down to a shadow of their former size. Every bite is meat. When it goes in bags I will see how meaty it is, and can add as much extra bear as it takes. Right now it looks about right.
Forgot to mention a big shot of vinegar... about 2 cups.
Posted By: sse Re: Chili Bearde - 05/26/20
why such a large quantity, do you end up freezing a lot of it?
Posted By: 30Gibbs Re: Chili Bearde - 05/27/20
I believe that he mentioned a trip to the pressure cooker, indicating to me that he might can the verde in jars. I have never canned any game meat myself.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Chili Bearde - 05/27/20
Using retort bags in the pressure cooker.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Chili Bearde - 05/27/20
What he said... retort bags.

Bear meat in the freezer is virtually inedible at six months. Canned it is good for years. Retort bags are better than jars for many reasons. They travel better than jars for one and weigh less. Storing jars is a PITA. You can also cook much more per canner load.

Biggest issue is the need for a chamber vacuum packer.
Originally Posted by sse
why such a large quantity, do you end up freezing a lot of it?

Riley and two buddies each killed a bear. Most of one is chili bearde. Most of the next will be plain chunks for stews and such. The third will be a couple different varieties of cased sausage, mostly brats.

Brats will be cooked via sous vide in bags with a splash of beer. Grilling will just be to sear and warm without concern for T. nativa... AK bears have a different species of Trichanella and it is not killed by freezing like T. spirallis.
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Chili Bearde - 05/27/20
Sitka, great thread. Happy for your boys success.

Any pics of this production you speak of? Would love to see it in action.
Posted By: sse Re: Chili Bearde - 05/27/20
I've had good bear meat before, delicious
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
Sitka, great thread. Happy for your boys success.

Any pics of this production you speak of? Would love to see it in action.

I will try to put some up. Mostly phone pics.
Originally Posted by sse
I've had good bear meat before, delicious

You are right. I know quite a few folks that prefer bear over anything else.
Posted By: 2ndwind Re: Chili Bearde - 05/27/20
..."Biggest issue is the need for a chamber vacuum packer....".

Hi Art, congratulations all around. How much money is a home use but still going to work well chamber vacuum packer? Prices seem to be all over the place and the less expensive one all seem to be out of stock? Brand suggestions?

John
Riley tells me there is a new one offered at Costco last week here for around 700. Usually they run 1000. There is a difference between sealed compressors and oilable compressors. They run close to the same. So far, with all the packers we have used I have not seen a failure of any major parts. I wonder how many manufacturers there actually are.
Just found this on the web at Costco... after several dealings with Costco warranty I would not hesitate...

https://www.costco.com/maxvac-pro-chamber-vacuum-sealer.product.100536866.html

Click to Zoom
Maxvac Pro Chamber Vacuum Sealer
★★★★★
No rating value for Maxvac Pro Chamber Vacuum Sealer Write a review . This action will redirect to login page
Item 1408450Model 1380
Your Price599.99$
Shipping & Handling Included*

Features:
3 Preset Buttons for Meat/fish, Liquid, and Dry Food
Includes Extra Rubber Seal/gasket Heat Bars
560 Watt, 3/4HP Motor
Largest Bag Capacity: 15" L x 10" W
80 Chamber Sealer Bags Included
Qty
Arrives approximately 5 - 7 business days from time of order.
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Chili Bearde - 05/27/20
Yep, I love the black bear we have !

Everybody told me they were greasy, smelly crap.

Couldn't be further from the truth.

Of course, I butcher & care for all our wild meat.
Posted By: 2ndwind Re: Chili Bearde - 05/27/20
Nearest Costco is 2 hours away from us and we long ago let our membership expire.... they are offering it $400.00 less than direct from LEM though

https://www.lemproducts.com/product/maxvac-pro-chamber-sealer/all-vacuum-sealer-products

Mostly I really like living out in the sticks..... not so much at the moment.....
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Chili Bearde - 05/29/20
That is a screaming good Costco deal... a number of years ago a friend bought one off the internet which was essentially the next size up and they delivered it in Kodiak for right about a grand, including shipping. Would not surprise me to see a great deal somewhere...

My niece got one big enough to seal a big king salmon, whole, with 4 sealing bars... used for $700...
© 24hourcampfire