Home
Posted By: bigwoods Frying pans - 06/11/20
Looking to get a couple good frying pans and thinking about getting enamel coated cast iron. Any pros, cons, opinions? I have some regular cast iron as well but for some things they arent my wifes favorite. Looking for some feedback.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Frying pans - 06/11/20
I like both cast iron, and carbon steel.
Posted By: beretzs Re: Frying pans - 06/11/20
FINEX looks like some nice pans, expensive, but will last a lifetime with a bit of care.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Frying pans - 06/12/20
I have, and use, cast iron, sheet steel, enameled cast iron (LaCruset) and cheap, throw away Teflon pans. The latter is what I use the most.
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Frying pans - 06/12/20
Carbon steel is a much better fry pan than cast iron. I really like this one. Requires a good initial seasoning and then it's ready.

https://www.restaurantsupply.com/matfer-062005-11-7-8-black-steel-round-frying-pan

A cheap Teflon pan is good too.
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Frying pans - 06/12/20
I have enamel coated cast iron Dutch oven. It's great for Dutch oven tryp duties, but would not consider it a great searing surface.
Posted By: yobuck Re: Frying pans - 06/12/20
Cast iron or carbon steel pans are much better, but do require a bit more care than the coated pans.
None the less id reccomend trying them if you havent. For frying fish there is nothing like a well treated cast iron pan.
For things like stir fry or searing a steak cooking eggs etc, i prefer the carbon steel.
A good 10” carbon steel frying pan will cost up to about $60 or more.
Posted By: flagstaff Re: Frying pans - 06/12/20
All I cook with is cast iron (unless I a man boiling water or something). I have a fairly large assortment of enameled and bare seasoned cast iron.

For most things, I prefer cooking cooking with the bare cast iron. My favorite is aa number 8 of an old used Griswold or Wagner Ware or similar in good condition. My experience is the newer made bare cast iron often have a rough surface which makes using them not as much fun.
Posted By: nahma_mich Re: Frying pans - 06/12/20
I have, and use, cast iron, sheet steel, enameled cast iron (LaCruset) and cheap, throw away Teflon pans. The latter is what I use the most.

^^^
Like Mannlicher said, use all of the above but a good Teflon pan gets used the most. Replace them about every
6-8 months.
Posted By: jackmountain Re: Frying pans - 06/12/20
We've been using swiss diamond frying pans. Have a 12, 10.25 and an 8" plus a deep 10.25" (I think) that's awesome for sausage gravy.
Love these pans.
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Frying pans - 06/13/20
My 1891-1910 arced Wagner cast iron 8 is a fantastic pan. But if I'm gonna fry an egg, I'm grabbing my carbon steel.
Posted By: ribka Re: Frying pans - 06/13/20
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
Carbon steel is a much better fry pan than cast iron. I really like this one. Requires a good initial seasoning and then it's ready.

https://www.restaurantsupply.com/matfer-062005-11-7-8-black-steel-round-frying-pan

This. Carbon is a bit better than cast iron which I love to cook on. I like cast iron for the oven though.
Posted By: woods_walker Re: Frying pans - 06/13/20
Originally Posted by ribka

This. Carbon is a bit better than cast iron which I love to cook on. I like cast iron for the oven though.

I'd like to add several of these steel pans to my inventory. Tried to determine where they are made but I'm not finding that information.
Originally Posted by woods_walker

I'd like add several of these steel pans to my inventory. Tried to determine where they are made but I'm not finding that information.

France
Originally Posted by woods_walker

I'd like add several of these steel pans to my inventory. Tried to determine where they are made but I'm not finding that information.

Theres another popular model that has rivets in it but I like this one because it's welded and the pan surface is smooth.
Posted By: woods_walker Re: Frying pans - 06/13/20
Thanks for the information TR.
Posted By: yobuck Re: Frying pans - 06/13/20
Originally Posted by flagstaff
All I cook with is cast iron (unless I a man boiling water or something). I have a fairly large assortment of enameled and bare seasoned cast iron.

For most things, I prefer cooking cooking with the bare cast iron. My favorite is aa number 8 of an old used Griswold or Wagner Ware or similar in good condition. My experience is the newer made bare cast iron often have a rough surface which makes using them not as much fun.

Originally Posted by flagstaff

I would agree that the old cast iron pans you mentioned are excellent. But with a little effort the new Lodge cast iron can be made to be very good also, and for a far more reasonable price than the collectable ones like you cited.
Best way to remove the Lodge factory coating is EZ Off oven cleaner. Just spray it on, put the pan in a plastic bag overnite and it will wash right off. Then use a palm sander with proper paper to smooth out the inside, especially the bottom.
About an hour total time is all it takes to really improve those pans, which are really very well made otherwise.
I use Crisco for the initial seasoning and to wipe on after cleaning on both the cast iron and carbon steel.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Frying pans - 06/13/20
Never been around an enamel fry pan.

Teflon is gayer'n aids though.
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Frying pans - 06/13/20
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

I think the OP meant ceramic I have a few and like them.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Frying pans - 06/13/20
I really like the Granite Stone pans.
Posted By: yobuck Re: Frying pans - 06/13/20
Check out (madeincookware.com).
I have their 10” fry pan and their 12” wok, both carbon steel, and find them to be excellent quality at a fair price.
Made in France as are other quality pans.
If they made an 8” id probably buy it, but i do have a cast iron in that size.
Posted By: bigwoods Re: Frying pans - 06/13/20
Just an update, i ordered a Madein carbon steel pan.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Frying pans - 06/14/20
Originally Posted by 284LUVR

I think the OP meant ceramic I have a few and like them.

Wouldn't that be like vitreous enamel?

Like the Lodge I have?

Its a dutch oven....do they make a fry pan like that too?
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Frying pans - 06/14/20
Its a dutch oven....do they make a fry pan like that too?

Yup
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Frying pans - 06/14/20
One important aspect is that the pan does not hump up in the middle when heated.
© 24hourcampfire