Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#14959088 06/11/20
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Looking to get a couple good frying pans and thinking about getting enamel coated cast iron. Any pros, cons, opinions? I have some regular cast iron as well but for some things they arent my wifes favorite. Looking for some feedback.

GB1

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I like both cast iron, and carbon steel.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
FINEX looks like some nice pans, expensive, but will last a lifetime with a bit of care.

Semper Fi
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have, and use, cast iron, sheet steel, enameled cast iron (LaCruset) and cheap, throw away Teflon pans. The latter is what I use the most.

Sam......

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Carbon steel is a much better fry pan than cast iron. I really like this one. Requires a good initial seasoning and then it's ready.

https://www.restaurantsupply.com/matfer-062005-11-7-8-black-steel-round-frying-pan

A cheap Teflon pan is good too.

IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I have enamel coated cast iron Dutch oven. It's great for Dutch oven tryp duties, but would not consider it a great searing surface.

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Cast iron or carbon steel pans are much better, but do require a bit more care than the coated pans.
None the less id reccomend trying them if you havent. For frying fish there is nothing like a well treated cast iron pan.
For things like stir fry or searing a steak cooking eggs etc, i prefer the carbon steel.
A good 10” carbon steel frying pan will cost up to about $60 or more.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
All I cook with is cast iron (unless I a man boiling water or something). I have a fairly large assortment of enameled and bare seasoned cast iron.

For most things, I prefer cooking cooking with the bare cast iron. My favorite is aa number 8 of an old used Griswold or Wagner Ware or similar in good condition. My experience is the newer made bare cast iron often have a rough surface which makes using them not as much fun.

"Successful is leaving something in better shape than you inherited it in. Keep that in mind, son." Dad
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I have, and use, cast iron, sheet steel, enameled cast iron (LaCruset) and cheap, throw away Teflon pans. The latter is what I use the most.

^^^
Like Mannlicher said, use all of the above but a good Teflon pan gets used the most. Replace them about every
6-8 months.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
We've been using swiss diamond frying pans. Have a 12, 10.25 and an 8" plus a deep 10.25" (I think) that's awesome for sausage gravy.
Love these pans.

IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
My 1891-1910 arced Wagner cast iron 8 is a fantastic pan. But if I'm gonna fry an egg, I'm grabbing my carbon steel.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
Carbon steel is a much better fry pan than cast iron. I really like this one. Requires a good initial seasoning and then it's ready.

https://www.restaurantsupply.com/matfer-062005-11-7-8-black-steel-round-frying-pan

This. Carbon is a bit better than cast iron which I love to cook on. I like cast iron for the oven though.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by ribka

This. Carbon is a bit better than cast iron which I love to cook on. I like cast iron for the oven though.

I'd like to add several of these steel pans to my inventory. Tried to determine where they are made but I'm not finding that information.

Last edited by woods_walker; 06/13/20.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by woods_walker

I'd like add several of these steel pans to my inventory. Tried to determine where they are made but I'm not finding that information.

France

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by woods_walker

I'd like add several of these steel pans to my inventory. Tried to determine where they are made but I'm not finding that information.

Theres another popular model that has rivets in it but I like this one because it's welded and the pan surface is smooth.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Thanks for the information TR.

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by flagstaff
All I cook with is cast iron (unless I a man boiling water or something). I have a fairly large assortment of enameled and bare seasoned cast iron.

For most things, I prefer cooking cooking with the bare cast iron. My favorite is aa number 8 of an old used Griswold or Wagner Ware or similar in good condition. My experience is the newer made bare cast iron often have a rough surface which makes using them not as much fun.

Originally Posted by flagstaff

I would agree that the old cast iron pans you mentioned are excellent. But with a little effort the new Lodge cast iron can be made to be very good also, and for a far more reasonable price than the collectable ones like you cited.
Best way to remove the Lodge factory coating is EZ Off oven cleaner. Just spray it on, put the pan in a plastic bag overnite and it will wash right off. Then use a palm sander with proper paper to smooth out the inside, especially the bottom.
About an hour total time is all it takes to really improve those pans, which are really very well made otherwise.
I use Crisco for the initial seasoning and to wipe on after cleaning on both the cast iron and carbon steel.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Never been around an enamel fry pan.

Teflon is gayer'n aids though.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Never been around an enamel fry pan.

Teflon is gayer'n aids though.

I think the OP meant ceramic I have a few and like them.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I really like the Granite Stone pans.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (10ring1, 10gaugemag, 11point, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 160user, 64 invisible), 2,829 guests, and 1,319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,385
Posts18,469,617
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.