Home
Posted By: rj3081 Need a stock - 12/23/23
Hello all. Just acquired a Remm. 700 in 257 Weatherby. It was Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation gun from around 2016 I believe. I want to use this rifle for hunting pronghorn and mule deer in the western areas of my state of South Dakota. First thing I want to do is swap out the stock. The rifle will be carried a lot over miles of treeless prairies and rolling hill country. I need advice on a lightweight quality stock as a starting point for this project. I’ve made do for many years with standard calibers and factory stocked rifles but now I’m interested in something a little more taylor made to the task. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you
Posted By: rcamuglia Re: Need a stock - 12/23/23
I have a McMillan for a long action Remington 700 that’s available

PM me if you’re interested

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: Ridge_Runner Re: Need a stock - 12/23/23
https://www.bansnerandcompany.com/product-category/bansner-composite-stocks/ my remington 700 7STW weighs 8# with a 6.5x20 leupold with this stock.
Posted By: taylorce1 Re: Need a stock - 12/23/23
The only M700 stocks I've used are the B&C Alaskan Ti and Greyboe Trekker. The B&C is okay, and serves me well on a .223 but it isn't as good as some of my other stocks. The Trekker is closer to a chassis and will look a little funny with a small diameter barrel in it since it'll fit up to a Proof Sendero contour.

You have a lot of rifle stocks to choose from in M700 footprints. Besides the ones mentioned, AG Composites, Wildcat Composite, Manners, Stocky's, Pendelton, and MPI just to name a few more.
Posted By: Mkopmani Re: Need a stock - 03/02/24
If money is no option, then McMillan is the best. If you're on a budget, the KRG Bravo chassis is impressive. Have one on a o-wise stock How's 1500 in 6.5 Creed, with Timney shoots 0.5 MOA @100yds.
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: Need a stock - 03/05/24
If you want a lighter rifle then get a carbon fiber stock. The best price is likely from " Stockys" they have house stocks made by AG composites, largest composite stock maker in US.
Posted By: Direct_Drive Re: Need a stock - 03/05/24
Yep, carbon fiber construction if you want a lighter stock.
Fiberglas construction is less cost but you'll have a weight penalty.
Then you have the two basic styles being conventional grip vs. vertical grip.
AG Composites Alpine Hunter is a good example of a vertical grip.
Posted By: Direct_Drive Re: Need a stock - 03/05/24
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
If you want a lighter rifle then get a carbon fiber stock. The best price is likely from " Stockys" they have house stocks made by
AG composites, largest composite stock maker in US.
How do you know that their house carbon stocks are by AG Composites ?
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: Need a stock - 03/06/24
I asked
Posted By: Rebel_ Re: Need a stock - 03/07/24
One of the Manners lightweight hunting stocks would be great. The next things I would look at are one of the XLR magnesium chassis, an AG composites or a lighter fill McMillan.
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: Need a stock - 03/07/24
Originally Posted by Direct_Drive
If you want a lighter rifle then get a carbon fiber stock. The best price is likely from " Stockys" they have house stocks made by
AG composites, largest composite stock maker in US.
How do you know that their house carbon stocks are by AG Composites ?
I asked

Interesting. So that howa mini carbon fiber stocks sold by stockys are actually made by AG?
Posted By: Ridge_Runner Re: Need a stock - 03/24/24
rem. 700 stockys G2 carbon fiber LH LA weight 30 OZ
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Chuck_R Re: Need a stock - 03/24/24
This is a Manners EH3 on a Rem 700 with 24" Bartlein 2B in 300WM. With a Leupold VX6HD 3-18x50 and a short piece of Arca rail installed:

Stripped the stock weight right at 27 ounces and the rifle/stock was just at 7lbs, which is about as light as I like to got with a 300WM. IF you really want to shave some weight take a look at the Manners MCS-UC-PLUS ( ULTRA CLASSIC PLUS ) that weighs in around 20 ounces:

[Linked Image from mannersstocks.com]

https://mannersstocks.com/stocks/hunting-stocks/
Posted By: duke61 Re: Need a stock - 03/28/24
I have one of Stockys carbon fiber and it is lite but it can't compare to McMillan Hunters Edge, I also have Bansner Sheep Hunter and it's a good stock.
Posted By: 257Bob Re: Need a stock - 03/28/24
McMillan Hunters Edge
Posted By: Driftin Re: Need a stock - 03/30/24
Manners composites - can’t beat it for light weight. Maybe MDT for bench or target.
Posted By: himmelrr Re: Need a stock - 03/30/24
Since this is the “Long Range” forum, I do not think the Hunters Edge is the right stock. I prefer the McMillan Game Scout or Game Warden. They are the same stock but the Warden has a wider forend. Go with Edge fill and it will be light. I have one Game Scout and am planning to put a second on order on Monday. I also have McMillan Mountain Rifle stocks too and they are great but getting prone with the Game Scout just feels more solid.
Posted By: 257Bob Re: Need a stock - 04/01/24
Just put this one together last week, McMillan Game Warden 2.0 TG. I like Manners, was in their shop recently and handled a few of their stocks. The only issue I have with Manners is 1) wait time is loooooong, 2) they are very expensive and 3) you have to have your receiver bedded or buy their mini-chasis for drop-in fit.

I buy from McMillan for same reasons, 1) very fast, less than two months, 2) more affordable and 3) drop-in and shoot. I have mine with pillars installed, no bedding required but you can if you wish. So far, not necessary for me but I would not object to bedding the recoil lug, just haven't.

Posted By: rcamuglia Re: Need a stock - 04/01/24
Good lookin rifles on this thread!
Posted By: 257Bob Re: Need a stock - 04/25/24
McMillan has a good selection of "ready to ship" stocks, some discounted.
Posted By: Bella1 Re: Need a stock - 04/25/24
Look at the Pure Precision stocks , formally mesa, I bought and installed over a dozen . I think it’s the best of all of the after market stocks. And you don’t have to wait 6-8 months
© 24hourcampfire