Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
rj3081 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Hello all. Just acquired a Remm. 700 in 257 Weatherby. It was Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation gun from around 2016 I believe. I want to use this rifle for hunting pronghorn and mule deer in the western areas of my state of South Dakota. First thing I want to do is swap out the stock. The rifle will be carried a lot over miles of treeless prairies and rolling hill country. I need advice on a lightweight quality stock as a starting point for this project. I’ve made do for many years with standard calibers and factory stocked rifles but now I’m interested in something a little more taylor made to the task. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a McMillan for a long action Remington 700 that’s available

PM me if you’re interested

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
https://www.bansnerandcompany.com/product-category/bansner-composite-stocks/ my remington 700 7STW weighs 8# with a 6.5x20 leupold with this stock.

If your going through hell, keep on going, don't look back, If your scared don't show it.
You might get out b'fore the devil even knows your there.
(Rodney Atkins)
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The only M700 stocks I've used are the B&C Alaskan Ti and Greyboe Trekker. The B&C is okay, and serves me well on a .223 but it isn't as good as some of my other stocks. The Trekker is closer to a chassis and will look a little funny with a small diameter barrel in it since it'll fit up to a Proof Sendero contour.

You have a lot of rifle stocks to choose from in M700 footprints. Besides the ones mentioned, AG Composites, Wildcat Composite, Manners, Stocky's, Pendelton, and MPI just to name a few more.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
If money is no option, then McMillan is the best. If you're on a budget, the KRG Bravo chassis is impressive. Have one on a o-wise stock How's 1500 in 6.5 Creed, with Timney shoots 0.5 MOA @100yds.

IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
If you want a lighter rifle then get a carbon fiber stock. The best price is likely from " Stockys" they have house stocks made by AG composites, largest composite stock maker in US.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Yep, carbon fiber construction if you want a lighter stock.
Fiberglas construction is less cost but you'll have a weight penalty.
Then you have the two basic styles being conventional grip vs. vertical grip.
AG Composites Alpine Hunter is a good example of a vertical grip.

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
If you want a lighter rifle then get a carbon fiber stock. The best price is likely from " Stockys" they have house stocks made by
AG composites, largest composite stock maker in US.
How do you know that their house carbon stocks are by AG Composites ?

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I asked

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
One of the Manners lightweight hunting stocks would be great. The next things I would look at are one of the XLR magnesium chassis, an AG composites or a lighter fill McMillan.

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Direct_Drive
If you want a lighter rifle then get a carbon fiber stock. The best price is likely from " Stockys" they have house stocks made by
AG composites, largest composite stock maker in US.
How do you know that their house carbon stocks are by AG Composites ?
I asked

Interesting. So that howa mini carbon fiber stocks sold by stockys are actually made by AG?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
rem. 700 stockys G2 carbon fiber LH LA weight 30 OZ
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

If your going through hell, keep on going, don't look back, If your scared don't show it.
You might get out b'fore the devil even knows your there.
(Rodney Atkins)
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
This is a Manners EH3 on a Rem 700 with 24" Bartlein 2B in 300WM. With a Leupold VX6HD 3-18x50 and a short piece of Arca rail installed:

Stripped the stock weight right at 27 ounces and the rifle/stock was just at 7lbs, which is about as light as I like to got with a 300WM. IF you really want to shave some weight take a look at the Manners MCS-UC-PLUS ( ULTRA CLASSIC PLUS ) that weighs in around 20 ounces:

[Linked Image from mannersstocks.com]

https://mannersstocks.com/stocks/hunting-stocks/

“Might does not make right but it sure makes what is.”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have one of Stockys carbon fiber and it is lite but it can't compare to McMillan Hunters Edge, I also have Bansner Sheep Hunter and it's a good stock.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
McMillan Hunters Edge

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Manners composites - can’t beat it for light weight. Maybe MDT for bench or target.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Since this is the “Long Range” forum, I do not think the Hunters Edge is the right stock. I prefer the McMillan Game Scout or Game Warden. They are the same stock but the Warden has a wider forend. Go with Edge fill and it will be light. I have one Game Scout and am planning to put a second on order on Monday. I also have McMillan Mountain Rifle stocks too and they are great but getting prone with the Game Scout just feels more solid.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just put this one together last week, McMillan Game Warden 2.0 TG. I like Manners, was in their shop recently and handled a few of their stocks. The only issue I have with Manners is 1) wait time is loooooong, 2) they are very expensive and 3) you have to have your receiver bedded or buy their mini-chasis for drop-in fit.

I buy from McMillan for same reasons, 1) very fast, less than two months, 2) more affordable and 3) drop-in and shoot. I have mine with pillars installed, no bedding required but you can if you wish. So far, not necessary for me but I would not object to bedding the recoil lug, just haven't.

Last edited by 257Bob; 04/01/24.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good lookin rifles on this thread!

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
McMillan has a good selection of "ready to ship" stocks, some discounted.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

67 members (afisher, 35, Anaconda, Amos63, 9 invisible), 1,447 guests, and 795 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,493
Posts18,472,100
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.