Home
Posted By: idahostalker Long range elk gun??? - 04/18/10
im thinking of building a new gun for elk out to 700ish yards. im thinking 338 ultra. give me some ideas and what bullet you would use.
300 SMK and or the 250 Accubond, or 200 NBT

Dober
Posted By: Tonk Re: Long range elk gun??? - 04/18/10
I likewise will second that 250 grain Accubond bullet! I shoots well in my .338/300Ultra wildcat. I have heard others had good luck using the 225 grain at over 400 yards on bull elk, so it should work out just fine in that respect down range.
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Long range elk gun??? - 04/18/10

For 700ish yards nothing beats the 300 SMK for wind drift. This bullet is amazing and must be shot to be full appreciated as a long range hammer. Not my first choice for an up close bullet, but as the range increases there is nothing at the present that is even close to the 300 SMK. The BC is .768
Posted By: arffdog875 Re: Long range elk gun??? - 04/18/10
I am using 225 grain Accubonds out of my 338RUM, I couldn't find any 250 grain ABs we will see how they work?!?!?!?!?
There is nothing wrong with a good .338 bullet but in my opinion 700 yards is not that far. I think you can get by with a with a 300 mag of some sort (win,weatherby or ultra) and good 180 grain or 200 grain bullet.

Dink
Originally Posted by arffdog875
I am using 225 grain Accubonds out of my 338RUM, I couldn't find any 250 grain ABs we will see how they work?!?!?!?!?

The BC is not much higher for the 250 AB than the 225 AB and the velocity is a good bit higher for the 225. I think that Noseler missed the boat by not making the 250 in a higher BC format
Posted By: idahostalker Re: Long range elk gun??? - 04/18/10
is their any other rifles that you think would be a good long range elk rifle besides a 338 ultra? What up grades would you do to it?
A plain old 300 Win will get it done with ease. A Tikka or Sako would be perfect with a high quality optic.
Posted By: joecool544 Re: Long range elk gun??? - 04/18/10
I run the .338 Ultra Maxx and the .338 Allen. Here is a list of some of the best long range elk hammers all of them shooting the 300 SMK, Quote taken from Kirby Allen.

Originally Posted by Fiftydriver;252002
Just to get back on topic. I believe the question was what is the fastest 338 out there. Well, to compare all the different chamberings, we need to use a standard which would be the same bullet in all with the same length barrels so lets do that. Lets say 30" barrel length in all, even the 408 CT based wildcats. This does put the really large 338s at a disadvantage but all things will be equal.

These are velocity tests from rifles I have built in each chambering, all using #8 contour Lilja 1-10 twist, SS fluted barrels. Velocity is an average of 5 shot string in 50-60 degree temps

338 RUM............................2745 fps
338 Edge...........................2865 fps
338 Lapua.........................2870 fps
338 Ultra Maxx...................2945 fps
338 Kahn............................3004 fps
338 Allen Xpress................3010 fps
338 Allen Magnum..............3315 fps **

** Just wanted to make the point to make this clear that these velocities are from a 30" barrel, not my standard 33-35" lengths. Just so we do not get confused that 3315 fps is the max velocity in a 338 AM.

Would also like to add that these are examples of one rifle per caliber using Lilja barrels and they tend to run a bit lower in velocity because the bore diameters tend to be a bit tighter then average.

But with same bullets and same barrel lengths, you at least have some idea the difference in velocity.

Maybe some day I will be able to do this list with the new Wildcat bullets but not yet. No hints yet on the new owners as its not solidly set in stone that the sell will go through so out of respect for the potential owners and Richard, I will not say anything until its a done deal.

I will however say it would be a US based company if the current interested group gets it and in my opinion, they would do a very good job making bullets. Hopefully for both parties and all of us, it goes through soon.

Not with the same authority as the big 338 at the longer ranges
Posted By: joecool544 Re: Long range elk gun??? - 04/18/10
Originally Posted by jwp475

For 700ish yards nothing beats the 300 SMK for wind drift. This bullet is amazing and must be shot to be full appreciated as a long range hammer. Not my first choice for an up close bullet, but as the range increases there is nothing at the present that is even close to the 300 SMK. The BC is .768

jwp spot on.
[Linked Image]

Dont forget Lapua's 300 grain Scenar. With a BC of .785 it has to be rated right up there. Both of these bullets shoot extremely well in my .338LM.

Sierra's 300gr SMK on the left and Lapua's 300gr Scenar on the right..

The expansion of the 3000 SMK on game at long range and its terminal performance is well documented. Not so with the Scenar, in fact a poster on LRH.com tested Scenar and could not get them to expand infact the Scenar shot a hole through his AR-500 steel target
It is more than just BC when it comes to hunting and the 300 SMK has been used sucessfully for decades
I knew that was coming.....
I have personally used both the Sierra 300gr SMK and the Lapua 300gr Scenar on elk at ranges alot further than 700 yards and have not noticed a difference in the terminal effects of the two...

For a distance of 700 and in as stated by the OP a 300 RUM, 300 WSM and even the 308 can be used effectively as long as the driver doesn't take shots out of his/her paygrade...

I've used all 3 mentioned above out to 1k and beyond without a problem or a lost animal... Shot placement is key...
Thank You EHG...stated by a man who has killed more elk than most of us will ever see dead or alive and that includes the nature channel...
338 lapua mag! It should work!
Barnes has released a new 285gn TSX bullet that is 1.792 inches long. It stands quite impressive against a 200gn .308 accubond.

JW
Posted By: 7 STW Re: Long range elk gun??? - 04/18/10
300 SMK with a 338 Lapua is pretty cool.
Posted By: 1912earl Re: Long range elk gun??? - 04/19/10
ok i have shot about everything i had a 340 built just for long rang elk hunting it killed like the hammer of thor and 700 yards was nothing it was built on a pre 64 mod 70 and had a fairly light 28 inch barrel. it was the worst kicking rifle i have ever shot so i has a 375 barrel in it now and i shoot my pre 64 mod 70 300 weatherby it will kills them as far as you can hit them with a 200 frain barnes tsx bullet oh i had a 338 baced on a 416 rigby case a 336 bases on the 404 jeffery case it just my opinion but it just not worth all the fuss and trouble so i will stick with the 300 weatherby i will say one i have not tryed and know it will be awsome is the 300 jarret
Posted By: Seafire Re: Long range elk gun??? - 04/19/10
A friend believes in a 338/378 Weatherby for all of his elk hunting... he hand loads it with Nosler Partitions, 250 grainers..
Posted By: highridge1 Re: Long range elk gun??? - 04/22/10
I bet that allen magnum is a barrel burning SOB. I have a 338 edge and I am happy with it.
Posted By: sambo3006 Re: Long range elk gun??? - 04/22/10
338 Ultra will work just fine, as will a 300 Win mag or Wby or Ultramag like some other guys have suggested. You can run the 200 gr Accubond with a BC of .588 at 2900-2950 out of a 300 Win. The Ultra will do 3150 fps or so with the same bullet.
Posted By: Siskiyous6 Re: Long range elk gun??? - 04/22/10
700 - on elk - hmmmm.
Originally Posted by siskiyous6
700 - on elk - hmmmm.

Something on your mind...?

Dober
Posted By: rost495 Re: Long range elk gun??? - 04/23/10
Originally Posted by 1912earl
ok i have shot about everything i had a 340 built just for long rang elk hunting it killed like the hammer of thor and 700 yards was nothing it was built on a pre 64 mod 70 and had a fairly light 28 inch barrel. it was the worst kicking rifle i have ever shot so i has a 375 barrel in it now and i shoot my pre 64 mod 70 300 weatherby it will kills them as far as you can hit them with a 200 frain barnes tsx bullet oh i had a 338 baced on a 416 rigby case a 336 bases on the 404 jeffery case it just my opinion but it just not worth all the fuss and trouble so i will stick with the 300 weatherby i will say one i have not tryed and know it will be awsome is the 300 jarret

Sorry... but DUDE... a tiny bit of punctuation/paragraphing would go a long ways to me not having a headache trying to read this post.
Posted By: EddyBo Re: Long range elk gun??? - 04/23/10
Originally Posted by highridge1
I bet that allen magnum is a barrel burning SOB. I have a 338 edge and I am happy with it.

Barrels are cheap, the performance is priceless. Until you have shot one of the 408 based 338s it is impossible to understand the jump in performance. 700 yards is not even warming these things up. I have upwards of 400 rounds down range with my 338 AM and I have babied it pretty well. I expect at least another 400-500.
Posted By: Siskiyous6 Re: Long range elk gun??? - 05/02/10
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
700 - on elk - hmmmm.

Dober

Yes - Wind, doping it, and the ability of a wounded Elk to travel far distances. But, you guys have your minds made up.
And we have put in the practice and have killed a lot of elk to help us make up our minds... wink

Side note, how many elk have you killed, how often do you hunt them and how many rounds a year do you send down range during practice @ 700 yds...?

Thx
Dober
Posted By: highridge1 Re: Long range elk gun??? - 05/02/10
Barrels are cheap?..could have fooled me. Performance does not have to come at 800 rnds a barrel.The 338 ultra,340 weatherby,338 edge,338 Lapua are tremendous long range elk rounds and will get it done very well. You will also get 1500-2000 rnds out of them.Another thing to consider is when you step up from the ultra's,Edge and Lapua the Muzzle blast just gets real nasty which isn't a good thing.
Posted By: joecool544 Re: Long range elk gun??? - 05/02/10
Well I also have had the .338 RUM and do still have the 340, and the .338 Ultra Maxx it's and improved version of the edge, and I also have the .338 Allen.

I will say this there is no comparison between the rest and the 338 Allen, absolutely none, it's in a class by it's self.
Posted By: 378Canuck Re: Long range elk gun??? - 05/02/10
Probably right. Would that be under 18 pounds?
700 - on elk - hmmmm.

Dober

Yes - Wind, doping it, and the ability of a wounded Elk to travel far distances. But, you guys have your minds made up.

One other question I'd have is what is it that you experienced that soured you on the idea that well practiced and disciplined shooters can or cannot take game at longer distances?

Thx

Dober
Posted By: Siskiyous6 Re: Long range elk gun??? - 05/02/10
And we have put in the practice and have killed a lot of elk to help us make up our minds... wink

Side note, how many elk have you killed, how often do you hunt them and how many rounds a year do you send down range during practice @ 700 yds...?

Thx
Dober

I hunt elk every year and have for 14 years on public land. I take an Elk every other year on average.

My Range is only 500 yards long, so I never practice at 700.

On Average I kill my elk at under 75 yards.

EDIT: My average would be higher except for helping my children learn to elk hunt. I don't count their kills in my average.

Posted By: MTHunter Re: Long range elk gun??? - 05/03/10
340 WBY u can find ammo if u need at most gun shops.
Posted By: GSSP Re: Long range elk gun??? - 05/07/10
This might get some attention.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/

Very interesting thread. I had a .340 Wby made back in '92 for a brown bear rifle which subsequently became my long range elk rifle; however according to "long range" here, it is a compromise with 24"barrel and a weight at 8.5 lbs.; my long range kill was a few yards short of 500 yds and several more over 450 yds. The round is capable of killing much further than I'm willing to shoot and frankly all the cartridge I desire to shoot at soft skinned game; however I find this long range niche of shooters and equipment very interesting.
If 24 isn't enough for a 340 then boy did I ever good up when I built my first one. I put a 4.5 weight Schneider on my old 700 and cut it to 340 and just plain ran amuck and filled up several arks. Big time screwed the pooch on that one I guess.. wink

My next two tubes were 24 and 25 and I noticed no diff...hmm

Dober

The limiting factor for me and practice in exceedingly expensive farm country is a range that affords the long ranges needed to stretch the cartridge and myself. I'm lucky I have a local cattle feeder/farmer who let's me use his makeshift range that we can just eek 500 yards out of.

On a related topic, our local clubs, community, DNR, and the NRA have monies available to build a multiple-event, multiple-station range in our area involving shotgun sports, archery, and handgun shooting sports-great- but get this: the NRA liaison told our local representative all that's really needed for a center fire rifle range is a 100 yds. I can't believe it!
If 24 isn't enough for a 340 then boy did I ever good up when I built my first one. I put a 4.5 weight Schneider on my old 700 and cut it to 340 and just plain ran amuck and filled up several arks. Big time screwed the pooch on that one I guess.. wink

My next two tubes were 24 and 25 and I noticed no diff...hmm

Dober

Man oh man Dober, I just don't know you managed it whistle
My .338 RUM likes the 210 TSX so that is what it runs.

That said, it came with 127 of the old Lost River J36's in 250gr (100 still in sealed boxes)that i may load up just to see what they will do.

Either that or sell em as it seems the guys that like em for target shooting absolutely love em, have heard they have erratic expansion on gameso not sure i will try to poke one into an animal yet.
Posted By: AndyG Re: Long range elk gun??? - 06/02/10

How about a wood stocked 50 BMG

[Linked Image]
Posted By: AndyG Re: Long range elk gun??? - 06/02/10

you could try this 50 BMG with a 200gr sabot bullet at 5900fps and 19,000+ energy.

http://www.rbcd.net/Special%20Application%20Ammunition.htm
Posted By: TheShootist Re: Long range elk gun??? - 06/07/10
If someone could explain to me any significant advantage the .338 lapua has over the .340 weatherby, I would love to here it. Two peas in a pod as far as I can tell.

Being deadly at 800 and beyond is more about knowing your load, processing information and adequate optics than it is about a 100 fps or so difference in velocity.

Just my 2 bits.

Per QL, case volume is 100gr for the 340 Wby, 108gr for the Lapua. That's very little in the overall scheme of ballistic potential.
Posted By: TheShootist Re: Long range elk gun??? - 06/07/10
Exactly. I see 8% more case capacity but diddly for performance difference with identical bullets. Both are very capable rounds but for some reason the Lapua is the darling child of the .338 fan club and the .340 is the child no one talks about.

I just find it a curious phenomenon.
Via 26" bbls, 62K max P, 105% max load desity, QL suggests the Lapua has about a 50 fps advantage with 250gr Scenar, and about 100 fps advantage with 300gr SMK.

That's not going to make a huge difference at 1500 yards.

The Lapua was the first 338 used by the military for long distance, and then it caught on in the civilian world like most mil chamberings.
The 338-378 Wby has 137gr case capacity.
Posted By: kyreloader Re: Long range elk gun??? - 06/07/10
Originally Posted by TheShootist
If someone could explain to me any significant advantage the .338 lapua has over the .340 weatherby, I would love to here it. Two peas in a pod as far as I can tell.

Being deadly at 800 and beyond is more about knowing your load, processing information and adequate optics than it is about a 100 fps or so difference in velocity.

Just my 2 bits.

Lapua brass.
The 338 Lapua is inherently more accurate, ton's more load data avalible and is not hampered with a belt. the tapered case on the Lapua also allows for easier extraction with hotter loads or in less that friendly enviroments. MM, 100 fps with a 300 grain high BC bullet is quite a lot to me.
Jim, I understand all you are saying. The Lapua is measurably superior ballistically, and has some desireable design characteristics. But ballistically, the 340 Wby is not very far behind it.

To try to quantify my remark about 100 fps,

300gr SMK at muzzle/1500 yards, 4500' el

2750 mv, 1500 yds 1419 fps, 48.25 moa

2650 mv, 1500 yds 1356 fps, 52.75 moa

Posted By: xphunter Re: Long range elk gun??? - 06/07/10
You don't even need a 24-25" barrel to shoot the Lapua round (or an improved Lapua) and still have great accuracy, and more than enough performance to take down elk at 800 or further.
I look for accuracy more than anything from field positions.
Mine is really stubby at 18" laugh
18", wow! What kind of ballistics are you getting?
Running around 2650 with the 338 Allen Xpress (AX).
300 grain SMK's.
Just got some of the Berger's but have not had the time to try them yet.
Powder is Retumbo.
That's pretty wild.

Is the 338 AX based on the Chey-Tac cartridge?
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
That's pretty wild.

Is the 338 AX based on the Chey-Tac cartridge?

Basically, a 338 Lapua Improved.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: TheShootist Re: Long range elk gun??? - 06/08/10
I said significant advantage.
Posted By: Take_a_knee Re: Long range elk gun??? - 06/08/10
If someone could explain to me any significant advantage the .338 lapua has over the .340 weatherby, I would love to here it.

Yeah, it ain't got a belt that makes it a PITA to reload. Not to mention you can actually buy brass for it from more than one source.
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Long range elk gun??? - 06/08/10
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Via 26" bbls, 62K max P, 105% max load desity, QL suggests the Lapua has about a 50 fps advantage with 250gr Scenar, and about 100 fps advantage with 300gr SMK.

That's not going to make a huge difference at 1500 yards.

The Lapua was the first 338 used by the military for long distance, and then it caught on in the civilian world like most mil chamberings.

The 338 Lapua is CIP'ed at 67,000 PSI, also the Lapua brand 338 cases are excllent and 4000 BAR straonger than nessecary for the 67,000 spec according to Lapua.

I shoot the 300 SMK's at 2800 FPS out of mine. I shot hte 250 SMK to 3189 FPS with 98 grains of H-1000 and to 3197 with RL-25. The is measured with the center screen 15 feet in front of the muzzle and not corrected for muzzle velocity

IMHO the 338 Lapua has a significant advantage over the 340 and it starts with the Lapua brass
Posted By: TheShootist Re: Long range elk gun??? - 06/09/10
I do not believe the Lapua is inherantly more accurate. I think the reason you might think that is that so many long range platforms are built for it and those rifles tend to be extremely accurate. Both calibers have a fine reputation for accuracy and shoot the same projectile. I would dissagree with your supposition.

I do agree that the Lapua is a great round but think most of it's popularity is based on it's wide availability due to its military origins but I think mostly because it has a really cool name. Obviously a .338/378 shoots the same pill at higher velocities and the .340 at just slightly lower so it's popularity isn't based soly on performance. Both of the Weatherby's have been around for a long time. Quite a few wildcats outperform it as well. The Lapua is just so frik'n cool. I really mean that.

Again I have to say, I'm a fan of both rounds but just never really understood the wide difference in popularity given the very similar performance levels. Anyway I suppose I've blabbed on enough, It's someone elses turn.
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Long range elk gun??? - 06/09/10

The Lapua brand 338 Lapua brass is well worht the price of admission
OK, I'll bite. I'm always willing to learn something new. Why is Lapua Brass any better than the Weatherby brass? Before you begin, you should know that I am on the fifteenth reloading of a batch of 100 rounds of .340 Weatherby. The weatherby brass is still in great condition has had no issues of concern. My .340 rifle shoots sub .5 Moa and I can launch 300 grain SMK's at 2700fps thru 1 gallon jugs all day long at 800 yards. What is it about the Lapua Brass that will improve my reloading and shooting experience? What am I missing?

Again I have to say, I'm a fan of both rounds but just never really understood the wide difference in popularity given the very similar performance levels.
Posted By: highridge1 Re: Long range elk gun??? - 06/09/10
Norma makes excellent brass, I hope we get some norma brass in 300 ultra so I can use it for 338 edge.To be honest though the remington brass is fine too as far as I'm concerned.I'm not going through thousands of rounds on my long range .338 anyways.

Wow, 15 loadings with Weatherby brass... the 338 Laupa brand brass is 5000BAR stronger than nessecary for the CIP pressure rating

http://www.lapua.com/index.php?id=889

The reason for .416 Rigby case being a good prototype and parent case, but not the actual choice for the new caliber case was quite clear. For the .338/416 cartridge the velocity of a 16,2 g bullet was 915m/s. A completely different case designed for a higher pressure level was clearly needed. The original Rigby .416 case had a rough 3000 Bar pressure case. The new cartridge was designed for over 4000 Bar pressures. The original pressure definition based on the deformation of the copper pellet method - the crusher method - was specified in the beginning into 56000 CUPs (about 3900 bar). When CIP moved to the piezo transducer period, a mistake was made somewhere resulting in the pressure medium for .338 Lapua Magnum to stay in the 4700 Bar level, even thought the correct level is in the 4200 Bars.
Higher strength brass is not necessarily better Brass, in fact mixing in brass from multiple sources can be a dicey proposition when you are loading at the top of the pressure curve. Brass has to expand to function properly. Consistent is the key.

But better is only better if you have a use for the difference. Since the Lapua Brass is just fine and so is the weatherby, then again I am unimpressed by the difference although there is that super cool catsass name, "Lapua" stamped on the case head. That's just fun to say. Lapua, Lapua, Laapoooooaaahh. Say it with me. Lapua! Thats just super cool to say.

Again I have to say, I'm a fan of both rounds but just never really understood the wide difference in popularity given the very similar performance levels.
Hmm, maybe you have me on ignore. I gave several reasons the 338 Lapua is much more popular than the 340. The Weatherby line of cartridges have never been all that popular and with the exception of the 300 none of them ever really went mainstream. You imply you can hit a milk jug at 800 every time seams to be a stretch.
No, Jim, I'm definitely not ignoring you. I appreciate your input but please don't put words in my mouth. I said I can hit it all day long, I didn't say every time. All that is getting off the point of my question and that is this: You would think that between these two cartridges, that perform so similarly there would be a more balanced following on each much like the .270 vs 280. It's just that phenomenon that I am curious about. Perhaps you have explained it perfectly,and I'm to dense to get it. I just don't think anything performance wise is the explanation because again, we are talking about 50 fps +/- in most instances. The biggest knock I've heard about the weatherby line has always been the expense of the factory rounds and Brass which is a completely valid complaint. From what I see today they are quite comperable to the price of the Lapua or eaven cheaper which is unimaginable, so again I am left to wonder is it just tthe "cool factor" which I poke a little fun at but it is a real affect none the less.

To me there isn't enough difference between the two to matter. That's just me. I think both are fantastic.

What load are you shooting to get 15 reloads?
Posted By: SoTexasH Re: Long range elk gun??? - 06/10/10
I guess I would have to practice a lot more than I do to even raise an opinion in the discussion. I max myself out at 300-350 yards. I like to hunt..not shoot. Is it even hunting to shoot an Elk from 700-1000 yards away. More like shooting. I enjoy being a hunter who enjoys getting closer for HIS shot.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Long range elk gun??? - 06/10/10
Stx... 300-350 definitely isn't shooting. Thats just an all day every day gravy shot...

Of course being from S and Tx... how do you hunt? in a stand on a sendero and if I'm wrong, my apologies but thats about the only way to do it down that way.
Posted By: Take_a_knee Re: Long range elk gun??? - 06/10/10

A 180gr 7mm Berger has nearly the same BC (0.698 IIRC). This could be loaded in something like a 7mm SAUM up near 28-2900fps and have about half the recoil and still be a lot lighter than any 338, just sayin'.
Posted By: joecool544 Re: Long range elk gun??? - 06/10/10
Originally Posted by 280rules

A 180gr 7mm Berger has nearly the same BC (0.698 IIRC). This could be loaded in something like a 7mm SAUM up near 28-2900fps and have about half the recoil and still be a lot lighter than any 338, just sayin'.

That would be a BC of 659 not really in the same league
Posted By: TheShootist Re: Long range elk gun??? - 06/10/10
Most often I shoot 180 grain accubonds out of my .340.

Pet load is 86 grains of IMR 4350. This is a tackdriver thru my rifle. I have run several different loads thru these Brass however. Right now they are full of 300 grain Berger's. I don't have my info with me as I'm on the road but they are loaded with I believe RL25 with the 2600 fps load the Sierra manual lists as their accuracy load. I typically load about 100 fps below most manuals max load because I don't see any benefit to the miner difference in trajectory. I like to chrono my loads and print out the ballistic table using Hornady's free website software and then dial it in from there.

Have you tried the new berger 300 grains yet? .891 BC. Thats one long skinny turd.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: TheShootist Re: Long range elk gun??? - 06/10/10
Originally Posted by SoTexasH
I guess I would have to practice a lot more than I do to even raise an opinion in the discussion. I max myself out at 300-350 yards. I like to hunt..not shoot. Is it even hunting to shoot an Elk from 700-1000 yards away. More like shooting. I enjoy being a hunter who enjoys getting closer for HIS shot.

There's no reason you can't do both. I enjoy bowhunting as much as rifle. It seems like you are limiting yourself. I recommend broadening your horizens and giving it a try. I guarentee you I spend a lot more time lobbing longrange pills at prairie dogs than elk but once you have the confidence that comes with doing a lot of shooting at longer ranges you may have a different opinion on the subject. Then again you may not. To each his own. Just plinking at rocks across the valley is a hoot.

So I gather by your statement that you're a still hunter/stalker type and not one who sits in a stand or or over a feeder correct?

Dober
Posted By: SoTexasH Re: Long range elk gun??? - 06/10/10
Sometimes thats the only way they let you hunt deer here in Texas. I apply every year for some of the government lands hunts to do the spot and stalk hunting thing. Get picked sometimes too. I grew up hunting in the big woods of northern Minnesota along the Canadian border. No blinds.. Just go find them. Wasn't any long range shooting there for me at all the first couple of years anyway ( My dad had me use a single shot .20 ga. with a slug). Moved from there to a 30-30 lever action and from there to a .308. I have hunted out west in the mountains and yes it is different. I have been sheep hunting also where you shoot from one ridge to the next. I just like to try and get in my confort zone .. In from 300-350 yards. I am sure with the right equipment (like you guys are discussing) and a lot of practice you can do a reasonable job at sniper distances. A couple of years ago I moved "down" from a 7mm Rem mag to a .308.. showing my age I guess..lol
Posted By: Greenhorn Re: Long range elk gun??? - 06/10/10
I like to hunt..not shoot. Is it even hunting to shoot an Elk from 700-1000 yards away. More like shooting. I enjoy being a hunter who enjoys getting closer for HIS shot.

Get yourself an easy to acquire elk license for the national forest out west and see how easy it is to "hunt" yourself within 700-1000 yards of an elk. Quadriplegics regularly score under corn-flingers.
Posted By: rosco1 Re: Long range elk gun??? - 06/10/10

WTF are you doing in the LR forum then?
Posted By: zman Re: Long range elk gun??? - 06/27/10
Don't mean to hurt others feelings here, cause everybody loves their own gun...But,,,,I would go with the 338 edge or lapua hands down. I have two edges personally, I like the edge cause they are a bit cheaper on brass than the lapua. A few of my buddies have lapuas and they shoot just like my edge.

My edge is from Shawn Carlock, it shoots 1/4 moa. Last year we dropped three elk with this rifle. We share the same rifle cause one guys films, one guy spots the shot and the other shoots. My 15 yr old son shot his bull at 940 yards with the edge, I got mine at 830 yds and my brother got his at 800 yds..ALL were first round hits.

At 1,000 yards the 300 gr SMK has a ton of energy with the 338 edge,,,The bullet also bucks the wind real well allowing for longer range shots.

We took the 338 edge out 2 months ago and my 15 yr old shot a 3 shot 1/2 moa group at 1,450 yards with me calling the wind for him.

Personally, I think the 338 edge and the lapua are great 1,300 yard guns. I'm currently building a chey tac to shoot the longer ranges to 2,000 yards.

The 338 edge likes the 300 gr SMK,
90 gr H1000
CCI 250 LRM primers
10 thousands off the lands
OAL 3.785

cheers
zman
Posted By: zman Re: Long range elk gun??? - 08/01/10
the BC on the berger 300 is closer to .818...still not bad,,,shot them last week in my 338 edge...3 bullets in the same hole for a 0.080 group..basically less than 1/10 of an inch at 100 yards..Load was...91 gr,,,h1000,,,seated .010 off the lands...CCI 250 LRM primers...15 pound 338 edge

zman
zman,
Who are you trying to BS! 1/4"moa with that rifle? Get real! What is your excuse for not winning all the long range shooting matches? Post a target with five targets on it with 5 groups. I guess I can trust you to say you shot them at 100yds and not 50yds.
Butch
Posted By: 378Canuck Re: Long range elk gun??? - 08/02/10
Originally Posted by Seafire
A friend believes in a 338/378 Weatherby for all of his elk hunting... he hand loads it with Nosler Partitions, 250 grainers..

I have this rifle in Accumark and the 300 smk will kick the 250 ass every time. I'm on my second box of 500 SMK and I've put about 100 of the 250 through it. Hands down winner is the 300SMK. No contest.
I shoot about 825 yds in 10 inch circle with the 300 SMK. I need about a 2FT circle for the 250.
Posted By: 378Canuck Re: Long range elk gun??? - 08/02/10
Most often I shoot 180 grain accubonds out of my .340.

Pet load is 86 grains of IMR 4350. This is a tackdriver thru my rifle. I have run several different loads thru these Brass however. Right now they are full of 300 grain Berger's. I don't have my info with me as I'm on the road but they are loaded with I believe RL25 with the 2600 fps load the Sierra manual lists as their accuracy load. I typically load about 100 fps below most manuals max load because I don't see any benefit to the miner difference in trajectory. I like to chrono my loads and print out the ballistic table using Hornady's free website software and then dial it in from there.

Have you tried the new berger 300 grains yet? .891 BC. Thats one long skinny turd.

[Linked Image]

Nice shooting for sure with the 340; Are you necking only on resize. Must be for that kind of accuracy.
You mentioned on the next post about Weatherby brass versus Lapua in .338. I have both these rifles so I can kinda tell you that if you neck only - you will usually get better results. Problem being is that the Weatherby 338 will only allow 1-2 necking and then they start sticking in chamber even with milder loads in the 2700 FPS range, If you bump up to max at 2800 fps second and neck it can stick in chamber and you don't want that if your hunting. Could really ruin your day. The Lapua seems to go on and on with 12 or more neckings only. Thus you get better results and less stress on your brass then when you full length resize everytime. Just my views. I'm not degrading either unit but thats what it is.
© 24hourcampfire