Home
Posted By: JustinL1 New Rifle - 07/26/17
If you guys were going to get one of the advertised "Long Range" rifles like Fierce, MOA, or Gunwerks rifles- do any stand out as better than the rest? I am probably going to build a rifle from a 700, too- but would like to try one of these, someday. Was just wondering if I should be looking at one more closely than the others...thanks in advance for any insight you can give me!
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: New Rifle - 07/26/17
Budget?

DF
Posted By: JustinL1 Re: New Rifle - 07/26/17
That's definitely negotiable- I would prefer to stick with the models that are around 4K without optics, but have spent more on guns before...and hopefully will again in the future!
Posted By: OutdoorAg Re: New Rifle - 07/27/17
I'll toss my 2 cents your way, just incase this is something you'd like to consider.

I was VERY close to doing to same thing you are talking about - spending 4K on a turnkey custom built rifle with long range capabilities. Very close as in I had a build sheet completely done, and the downpayment check was written. It just needed to be put in an envelope and mailed. The weekend came, and the check was to be mailed on Monday.

Over that weekend, I ran into a buddy that had recently acquired a Ruger Precision rifle. I got a chance to see the thing in action, shot it myself, and was blown away by the quality and accuracy from a factory gun with factory ammo (6.5 Creed).

I decided to keep the check, but look for an RPR to make the decision myself. After a week of looking, I found one lightly used with 80 rounds of match ammo to go with it. I pulled a Bushnell LRHS off a Tikka, bought some rings from Seekins, and mounted the LRHS to the Ruger.

It took less than 20 rounds for me to realize that I could tear up that $4K check because this gun would likely outshoot anything I could buy, and it would do it for $3K less, with off the shelf ammo.

The RPR may not be for everyone, but if you're looking at a dedicated LR rifle, I'd start there. Because it may save you $3K and be a whole lot of fun.
Posted By: Mjduct Re: New Rifle - 07/27/17
There are lots of custom guys and semi custom guys, I've had good luck with surgeon and Jon Beanland. That being said a Remington sendero with a barrel chop to whatever you want will probably do all you'll ever need it to. I've got a Kimber patrol that could lose a few ounces with a better stock but will outshoot me all day long.
Posted By: Jerseyboy Re: New Rifle - 07/27/17
There are lots of Youtube videos of guys with Ruger rifles in 6.5 Creedmoor. Most of them have the Predator model, and the Precision Rifle version should be even better. I'm tempted myself.
Posted By: BurninDupont Re: New Rifle - 07/27/17
One from MPA prolly don't suck.

http://masterpiecearms.com/shop/mpa-ba-lite-pcr-competition-rifle/

Or a Tikka CTR with MDT ESS chassis
Posted By: Hondo64d Re: New Rifle - 07/27/17
I've got one on an MPA BA Lite chassis that I put together myself in my garage. Shilen DGR action, Criterion barrel. Best shooting rig I've ever had. Below is six shots from two different loads.

John

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: baldhunter Re: New Rifle - 07/28/17
I took a Remimgton 700 CDL .270 I had,sent the barreled action to Pac-Nor to turn it into a 30-06.They put on a 28" Stainless Steel Super Match Grade barrel,lapped and trued the action for $625.00.The shipping from me to them and back to me totaled $67.00,so my whole total was $692.00.About the cost of another rifle,but the difference is this one will shoot,another new one may or may not shoot.The rifle is capable of shooting better than me.I really didn't do any work finding a load it shot well.I seated my bullet .025 off the lands and a max book load of Accurate 4350 and I'm done.Shoots as good with Ramshot Hunter too.I'm sold.Instead of buying more rifles,believe me I was tempted with the $150 rebate Remington has going on through 7-30-17,I have decided to go this route again.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: SKane Re: New Rifle - 07/28/17
Originally Posted by Hondo64d

[Linked Image]

Pretty sure if there's a photo next to "bad-@ss" at dictionary.com, this would be the accompanying pict.
Posted By: Joezone Re: New Rifle - 07/28/17
I got a chance to try out a chassis stock from KRG last weekend with a Timney Calvin Elite trigger and really liked the set up. Masterpiece arms are supposed to make an awesome chassis. I'm sentimental to a more traditional stock but the chassis I tried had great ergonomics and the new Timney was fantastic.
Posted By: WiFowler Re: New Rifle - 07/28/17
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by Hondo64d

[Linked Image]

Pretty sure if there's a photo next to "bad-@ss" at dictionary.com, this would be the accompanying pict.

That rifle bares a striking resemblance to a 6.5 Creed and a 223AI that I have in sitting in chassis'.
Posted By: Kimber7man Re: New Rifle - 07/28/17
There's a nice Beanland in the classifieds now...
Posted By: Rolltide Re: New Rifle - 07/31/17
Wouldn't a Proof barrel on a Remington or similar action with a quality trigger dropped in McMillan or Manners be as solid as one of the Gunwerks or Fierce rifles, for less money and built exactly the way you want? I've had these same thoughts as the OP, but keep coming back to this core question...
Posted By: Mackay_Sagebrush Re: New Rifle - 07/31/17
TIKKA has a factory option for a gun with a chassis system. Their TSR-1, which is a T3 in a MCrees chassis of a newer design.

Or grab a factory T3 CTR and put it in your chassis of choice, like an XLR Industries, which I personally like better than any MCrees I have tried, though I have not tried the newest/latest MCrees, but the XLR is a very nice rig.

I would go that route LONG before I went the custom gunsmith route.

Then top with optic of choice, and rock on.

This is my XLR and it is a very comfortable rig:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: haverluk Re: New Rifle - 07/31/17
What cartridge class are you looking for?

I have a full custom 338LM that I will be putting up for sale in the coming days.

RBros Rifles - Manners EH-1 stock, Defiance action, Broughton barrel, Jewell trigger, Seekins rings, BM and CIP mag, NF 5.5-22x50 HS ZS MOAR, Redding Comp dies , test target, etc.

Unfired other than the test target from the builder. PM me if that it the type of rifle you are looking for...
Posted By: longbarrel Re: New Rifle - 07/31/17
NULA is in your budget. They shoot very well, and you can choose the barrel length and contour as well as cartridge to do what you want.
Posted By: alaska_lanche Re: New Rifle - 07/31/17
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
TIKKA has a factory option for a gun with a chassis system. Their TSR-1, which is a T3 in a MCrees chassis of a newer design.

Or grab a factory T3 CTR and put it in your chassis of choice, like an XLR Industries, which I personally like better than any MCrees I have tried, though I have not tried the newest/latest MCrees, but the XLR is a very nice rig.

I would go that route LONG before I went the custom gunsmith route.

Then top with optic of choice, and rock on.

This is my XLR and it is a very comfortable rig:

[Linked Image]

I like your style.

CTR in an XLR chassis and buttstock as well:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: David_Walter Re: New Rifle - 07/31/17
AICS mags? Or PMags?
Posted By: David_Walter Re: New Rifle - 07/31/17
And why hasn't anyone made a cheap Chassis for the RAR that uses PMags and doesn't cost as much as the RPR?
Posted By: Higginez Re: New Rifle - 08/01/17
What's your aversion to AICS mags?
Posted By: fredIII Re: New Rifle - 08/01/17
Dave MDT makes a chassis that does not suck and they have an AICS knockoff and magpul also makes AICS pattern mags.

I am enjoying the RAR in the mdt and the mdt mags are everything a pmag could wish to be.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: AussieGunWriter Re: New Rifle - 08/05/17
I simply cannot see the value in rifles that expensive.
After reviewing rifles, I simply saw too many that would plop bullets way under the inch to warrant spending that much money.
Yesterday at the range I shot several groups with a .25/06 with match barrel and trued Model 70 action ($550 worth) that went .115". 317" and .223"
Also have a .30/06 Featherweight that puts 150 grain Partitions into slightly larger groups and a BACO Super Grade in 7x57 that shot its best group using the 175gn Partition at .295"

I know full well I had a good day at the range yesterday, being 57 degrees and overcast, but that is why I went.

As an aside, there is a husband and wife promotions team that flogs a high end rifle with the usual adornments and the edited show regularly shows them dropping game at sniper ranges. There is a recent version where the lady in the outfit shoots a moose under 100 yards and when the outfitter says to shoot again, the 2nd shot hits the water in front of the moose and the 3rd way over its back also into the water. Shot number 4 or maybe the effects of shot number 1, cause it to drop as Moose commonly seem to take a few seconds to drop after a hit.

The point is, that being a rifleman is much more important that the tool selected. That's why many of you have a grandfather that fed his family using an open sighted whatever he could afford, lousy by today's standards, factory ammo and wearing a BO impregnated set of Bib and Brace overalls.

Sometimes it is best to take an impartial look at facts.
Posted By: deflave Re: New Rifle - 08/06/17
Originally Posted by JustinL1
If you guys were going to get one of the advertised "Long Range" rifles like Fierce, MOA, or Gunwerks rifles- do any stand out as better than the rest? I am probably going to build a rifle from a 700, too- but would like to try one of these, someday. Was just wondering if I should be looking at one more closely than the others...thanks in advance for any insight you can give me!

I have never heard of any of those.

Dave
Posted By: MallardAddict Re: New Rifle - 08/06/17
My collection of LR build rifles pales compared to many but they have all been superb. I did my research, had a good idea what I was after and ha e always been pleased with the results. They all have shot ridiculously well, cleaned super easy and have been nothing but a pleasure to own and shoot. Quality rifles from good named smiths with solid reputations rarely disappoint. Hell I had Pacnor put one together for me and it too is a hammer.

Pacnor 280ai on a R700 action
[Linked Image]

KMW 300 WM on a R700 action
[Linked Image]

GAP 7WSM on a surgeon action.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: fredIII Re: New Rifle - 08/09/17
Mallardaditc
That's pretty good looking stuff.

My 7wsm is about three weeks out. Can't wait had to buy 100 rounds of load d ammo to get brass. But oh well. Looking forward to flinging 180's out of it.
Bought some hornady 300 wsm brass to form but the shoulders claps (to soft) probably great for 300 but not so for forming. Probably going to snag some Norma and try if I can't work hard the shoulders with the stainless steel media.
Posted By: Trystan Re: New Rifle - 10/17/17
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
I simply cannot see the value in rifles that expensive.

Sometimes it is best to take an impartial look at facts.

Most people don't like facts......Its all about pretending to feel warm and fuzzy and trying to impress the uneducated masses with dazzle and BS. Less than $1000 all in will get you where you need to be and for most it will take years if not a lifetime to learn to make what they have work

Trystan

Posted By: Pappy348 Re: New Rifle - 10/23/17
Don't know anything about you; what you have or your experience, but if it were me and I was just getting started, I'd get one of those factory chassis guns or put a good donor in one and shoot until I felt the gun was holding me back. Saw a review or two about the RPR in .223 and was very impressed. I'd be at it a while with that one myself before I'd be getting itchy feet. Either of the Predator models (RAR or Hawkeye) would do to learn with too, I'll bet if you're allergic to chassis guns.

$4K would buy any of those and a lot of ammo or amazing glass.
Posted By: hanco Re: New Rifle - 10/23/17
I have had several rifles rebarreled by Precision Barrel Works. They shoot 1/2 groups. All were Remington 700’s. I probably have 1500.00 in them.
Posted By: BravoFoxtrot Re: New Rifle - 10/23/17
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by JustinL1

I have never heard of any of those.

Dave

+ 1. I've never seen any of these is in the flesh including ranges and comps. At least not in my area. Mackay's CTR suggestion with chassis is a great one. I'm impressed with my bone stock CTR's. The Bergara HMR's I've shot had a lot of great features (AICS mag compatible, decent stock, etc.) If looking to spend more, GAP, AI, and many other customs over what you're looking at.
Posted By: slm9s Re: New Rifle - 10/23/17
For a LR hunting rig, I'd think about:

Kelbly Atlas tactical action $999
X-caliber bbl $250
Timney trigger $150
XLR element chassis $550
Sierra precision grip (I can't stand the ergo grip) $40
Magazine $60
Plus gunsmith fees

Send it to a good smith and I'd put it up against any of those $4000 rigs.
Posted By: pete53 Re: New Rifle - 10/30/17
I get a little confused what some feel are long range guns ? is it 500 yards ? 1000 yards ? 1500 yards ? i have guns that do all these ranges some are custom some are just normal guns trick out a little. but you wanna talk long range i built with a weatherby accumark a 338 lapua with a 28 in bonx barrel " barrel work by straight line machine > which has guns that have won national and state titles out 1000 yards in USA,he also does alot of swat guns , custom work for cartridge companies and the medical field too " i have a 8-32 x56 nite force scope and my handloads.this gun has better specs than any military rifle too. i have the privilege to shoot and hunt some with a real USA sniper who worked at the Whitehouse and he likes my lapua. my 338 lapua is built to shoot a long ways maybe 2000 yards or longer ? price with scope ? under $4500.00 ,I am a FFL dealer too so that saved me plenty money too.under a 1000 yards with this gun is not a hard shot if you know how to shoot wind,temp and currents.
Posted By: Sharpsman Re: New Rifle - 10/31/17
Here's a name you need to know:

JON BEANLAND
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: New Rifle - 11/07/17
Those boutique rifles are nice for guys who really just want someone to do all the work for them and go kill stuff. I don't think they are really any more accurate than most custom guns. I put a rifle together for my buddy on a Pierce action/ Broughton barrel with a Micky A5 stock -it was basically a Red Rock precision without the mark up. It is a 7 RUM. It shoots 4" 3 shot groups at 1000 yards. It is heavy though. He bought 2 Fierce rifles thinking they were going to be the greatest thing ever. They even came with a supposed test target. Both rifles are 300 WSM. Neither will break an inch. Pretty much wasted his money.

I couldn't stand to hunt with a chassis rifle myself as you carry a rifle a LOT more than you shoot it. I won't tell you what to buy but will suggest that your money is better spent than on the $5000 boutique rifles you mentioned. I build my own so I can save a little by doing that. My next one will probably have a heavy proof research barrel and a carbon fiber shell stock to get the weight down to the 6 pound range and still be a heavy duty tack driver. So far I have been leery of cutting into a $900 barrel blank so haven't done it!
'
Posted By: 16bore Re: New Rifle - 11/10/17
How far and how often do you shoot? If 500 is a long way, then you don't have to go any further than Walmart.
Posted By: Clarkm Re: New Rifle - 11/11/17
How far and how often do you shoot? If 500 is a long way, then you don't have to go any further than Walmart.

I built (3) rifles for myself in Sept - Oct 2017:
Sav 12 250 Sav
Rem700 6.5-06
Rem700 7mmRemMag

The each weighed ~ 10 pounds with bipod, scope, sling, ammo, ect.
They each cost $3k ~ $4k in parts with scopes. I have a lathe and mill.

The 7mm required less skill in compensating for range and wind, so I shot all (4) deer with the 7mm.

The longest shot was 625 yards. I could have done that with an off the shelf 7mmRM from Walmart.

I keep wanting a better rifle, but the rifles are good enough... I need to get better.
Posted By: WyoCoyoteHunter Re: New Rifle - 11/11/17
Cark, cool building your own rifles.. The 7 would be my pick, but never had a 6.5-06.. Use my .25-06 quite a bit and the .270.. Both are great rounds so I am sure the 6.5 is also.. Enjoy!!
© 24hourcampfire