Home
Posted By: Sakohunter264 Ordering a NULA 284win - 12/21/21
Well the time has come to place my order for the NULA 284win that I’ve been dreaming about. I need your input - what barrel contour should I go with? Options are #1 and #2 contour.

Also, do you recommend any other upgrades?

Thanks in advance.
Posted By: gene270 Re: Ordering a NULA 284win - 12/21/21
i have rifles with both and i like them both...
22 inch for a #1
24 inch for a #2
how long do you want the barrel
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: Ordering a NULA 284win - 12/21/21
I’d go stainless on the barrel.
👍
#2.
Makes for better balance, and "hangs" better for offhand shooting.
Posted By: Lawdwaz Re: Ordering a NULA 284win - 12/21/21
I have both, a #1 in .243 Win and two #2, a 7mm-08 and a 300WSM. If I HAD to choose, it'd be a #2 but I just love that little #1 on the .243

Good luck....
Posted By: nyrifleman Re: Ordering a NULA 284win - 12/21/21
Originally Posted by Sakohunter264
Well the time has come to place my order for the NULA 284win that I’ve been dreaming about. I need your input - what barrel contour should I go with? Options are #1 and #2 contour.

Thanks in advance.

Funny you mention that.

I have about 100 pieces new brass (no not for sale) and no rifle. Been considering a .284 Win build.

Calling Melvin may be the solution.
Does Melvin offer a 3 position safety which locks down the bolt?
Posted By: ejo Re: Ordering a NULA 284win - 12/21/21
22 or 23” stainless #2 would be my suggestion. I currently have a 1, 2 and 3 on NULAs with the #1 being my less favorite.
Posted By: RipSnort Re: Ordering a NULA 284win - 12/21/21
It depends on your planned usage. If sitting in a deer stand is where the rifle will be most used, then go with a 24" #2 barrel. If this is going to be a sheep rifle, go with the 22" #1.

I would go with a stainless barrel. Also, really give some thought to what paint scheme you want. I got a green granite-like paint that I'm still very pleased with after 20+ years and it has been extremely durable.

When ordered mine, Melvin was intensely pro-Leupold. I was, and still am, pro-Swarovski. Go with your choice of scope, not his.

RS

By the way, what is the quoted wait time?
Originally Posted by nyrifleman

Two position, three function safety that locks the bolt. It works well
Originally Posted by ejo

👍
Originally Posted by ejo

👍

If you are in Queensbury NY pm me since I’m about 20 mins from you for the next couple weeks. I have a 257 Robert’s with a #2 here but it’s a lefty. You are welcome to check it out.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Ordering a NULA 284win - 12/21/21
I'd slow your roll and Start At The Fhuqking Start,if only because such things will reliably connect more dots,by literal default. Hint.

Bullets matter wayyyyyyyyy more than headstamps and due same,I'd hastily kick the 284Win notion to the curb,if only due case length alone. The shorter 7-08 case,will grant more opportunity for bullets,while allowing an extra round in the chamber. Win/win. Hint.

The S/S barrel nudge is an obvious conclusion,as is a S/S action. Back to the horse staying in front of the cart,I'd simply rebarrel a Fieldcraft to eek same(and have it back in a week or two,depending on weather). Better yet,I'd nab one chambered 7-08,because they are 8" RPM and will smooch/house a 180 ELD in OEM issued guise. (5) 8x40's atop the receiver for Optics retention,do not suck either. Hint.

I could give less than ZERO fhuqks about a safety. In fact,I put a Custom 280 together today,that doesn't even have one and that by CHOICE. Hint.

Nothing Reupold or Swaro could even begin to rate a serious thunk,but I actually shoot. Hint......................
Thanks for the offer ejo.

I've had some trigger time behind a ULA before Melvin sold the company the first time.

That rifle was s 30-06 IIRC, as it has been s few years.

I've long considered one of Melvin's rifles in .300 Win Mag

Sakohunter has me thinking again.

Larry, reading a few of your old posts motivated me to pick up a Montana in 7 whizzum. It's at the LGS waiting on me to do the paperwork.

You still like the 180 ELDM in that rifle?
Posted By: kk alaska Re: Ordering a NULA 284win - 12/21/21
I have a LH Forbes in 7-08 22" #1 it balances great Had Melvin Rebarel a Forbes 06 to 280 AI #2 24" which is what he recommended. Of the 2 prefer the #1 in the 7-08 both balance well. The LW rifles settle and hold well off-hand Melvin knew what he was doing. I would call and listen to Melvin.

Had a couple of .284 Wins in a SA Rem 700 and Win 88 Mag length confines and long bullets, a lot happier with a 7mm 08

Bought both the Forbes because they were LH we don't have a lot of choices!

My model 20 284 is a 22” #1 stainless. I use Peterson brass for reloading and it’s been impressive so far. I’m pretty sure a 708 and 284 hold 3 down in NULA but correct me if I’m wrong…
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Ordering a NULA 284win - 12/21/21
The Montucky 7 Whizzum is still assuredly KING and a 180 ELD is tough to whoop,with a .796 BC at 2850-ish fps. Hint.

I've yet to see a 284 Win or 284 Win based round that holds (3) in the belly(I've multiple 6-284's,25-284's and 284's),not accept (4) 243,260,7-08 or 308's in said box...though I've only had multiples of all. 243AI,260AI and 7-08AI may preclude same in certain instances(generally a follower tab nip is The Cure),but not their SALAMI versions. Have lots of them too. Hint.

Coming full circle,to that which matters most (boolits),what would horn someone up in said platform(284 Win),regarding same? What would be THE 284 Win warm/fuzzy? In fairness,I've never seen or heard of Peterson brass. Is it good? Hint. LAUGHING!

The bane of the Model 24,is akin to that of a 84L and L/A Fieldcraft,in that COAL latitude is exceedingly trite. Doubly so in 280/280AI,due what's available to them boolit wise. Odds are,folks schlepping same,is whistling wares well shy of a S/A Fieldcraft 7-08's inherent abilities. Bumping contour,makes less than zero sense to me and is equally as humorous. Hint.

If only as per always,it never ain't not about the Big Picture and it's interesting to see,how many can so very reliably fhuqk up simplistic mechanical potential. Hint.

Simply Start At The Fhuqking Start and don't be in a hurry to make bad decisions.

Hint.

Just sayin'.....................
Posted By: cooperfan Re: Ordering a NULA 284win - 12/21/21
Melvin will TELL you what you want. Then after you wait a year for a rifle that isn't what you wanted, but what he wanted you to have; I promise you it will require going back to him for a warranty of some sort.

I would do what Stick says
Posted By: woodson Re: Ordering a NULA 284win - 12/21/21
Well that’s a positive take…
Posted By: DropTyne Re: Ordering a NULA 284win - 12/21/21
Originally Posted by cooperfan
Melvin will TELL you what you want. Then after you wait a year for a rifle that isn't what you wanted, but what he wanted you to have; I promise you it will require going back to him for a warranty of some sort.

I would do what Stick says

Cooper

This does not reflect the experience I have had with Melvin. Melvin will answer questions and will guide you if you ask. So far, he hasn't led me astray. After all, the rifle is his design. I am curious, what specs did he "want" you to have that you didn't that made you unhappy?

To the OP,

Barrel specs depend on what you are looking for. I have NULAs with both contours. The 22" #1 contour will probably weigh 6oz or so less than the 24" #2. If your goal is to get the lightest and easiest carrying rifle, then go for the #1. However, as stated by several, the extra weight of the #2 will make it easier to hold steady when shooting freehand/off your knee, etc. This is particularly true in situations where you can hear your heart beat. If I only had one, I would lean towards the #2. However, if there were a rifle to build for light and short, the Model 20 284W in a #1 would be a good choice. Having a #2 shortened to 22" may be a good compromise. There, I have talked in a complete circle. Haha

Melvin will probably default to a 1-9 twist unless you specify differently. I would lean towards a 1-8. Big Stick makes some really good points, and are worth pondering before making an order.

Good luck!
Posted By: 257heaven Re: Ordering a NULA 284win - 12/21/21

Thanks in advance.

I scratched that itch a while back. I'd wanted a ULA 284 since I was a kid. Mine was a 22" #1 and I loved it. But finally sold it. LOL.

If 284 is what you have to have....get it. I recently looked at building a 284 vs a 7-08 with a little freebore, and I couldn't get the 284 to come out ahead with Quickload and the COL's I was looking at with 150 Berger Hunters and/or 162 AMAX. Ended up building neither.

But now wish I had my ULA 284 back!
Regardless of caliber or make of a gun you post here, there will be blow back along
with some positives.
------But you seldom see a 284 Win needing to find a second home.
Just my2 cents.
some never miss a dig on Melvin when the opportunity comes up ...
He cant be all that bad and there arent many who can make a living building high end guns much less do it for 30 plus years
I’ve owned 3. Still have a Mz

All 3 required warranty

Not a dig, fact
maybe you need to sell that muzzleloader seems bad luck follows you

you rarely miss a chance to pass bad press off on Melvin, fact
Lol, good one

I have a follower

not really ...you just have a unique story .... you have 4 nula rifles that I assume you ordered new and three of the four had issues and Melvin built the rifles the way he wanted and not the way you wanted...seems odd you would keep ordering guns from him but I guess you wanted to give him all the opportunity in the world and you did....I just dont see why you never miss the chance to throw your bad experience out there but to each his own....happy holidays and good hunting to you seems you have moved on and I hope you have found your dream rifle
Posted By: WoodsyAl Re: Ordering a NULA 284win - 12/21/21
I enjoyed my conversation with Melvin, had a pleasant experience, and love the rifle he built for me. It’s a 7-08 with a 22” #1 barrel. With a Leupold 6 x 36 scope mounted it weighs 5 lbs 14 oz. It is the easiest rifle to load for that I have ever had.
Sako, let us know what you decide.

I'm also interested in Melvin's quoted delivery time.
Posted By: cooperfan Re: Ordering a NULA 284win - 12/22/21
Originally Posted by gene270
not really ...you just have a unique story .... you have 4 nula rifles that I assume you ordered new and three of the four had issues and Melvin built the rifles the way he wanted and not the way you wanted...seems odd you would keep ordering guns from him but I guess you wanted to give him all the opportunity in the world and you did....I just dont see why you never miss the chance to throw your bad experience out there but to each his own....happy holidays and good hunting to you seems you have moved on and I hope you have found your dream rifle

Merry CHRISTmas to you and your family as well.
Posted By: Lawdwaz Re: Ordering a NULA 284win - 12/22/21
Originally Posted by woodson
Well that’s a positive take…

Ignore cooperfan.......he comes by on darn near every ULA/NULA thread and pisses & moans. He had a bad experience years ago and can't move on. LOL
Posted By: 257heaven Re: Ordering a NULA 284win - 12/22/21
I’ve owned 3. Still have a Mz

All 3 required warranty

Not a dig, fact

257 Bee, 250 AI, 284, 257 AI. All were perfect. All performed as expected. I got your ass beat. And yea. I shot them all. A lot.
Sako, I hope you're well. I'm not a NULA fan, though do like the one I sold you. I would definitely go number 2 but I like a little weight out front.
Posted By: cooperfan Re: Ordering a NULA 284win - 12/22/21
Definitely go #2, but whatever you do. Don’t get those hideous stripes painted on the stock
Originally Posted by gene270

Merry CHRISTmas to you and your family as well.

In my experience, Cooperfan's experience is not unique. Nice rifles that tend to shoot really well, though. Most I had were the least finicky rifles I've ever had, but mine are all gone now.

With that said, stainless 22" 1:8 number 2 with stripes would be my vote for this requirement. I had a .308 built to those specs and it balanced really well.
correction, .308 was a 1:10 but otherwise identical to the above description. I would go 1:8 in 7mm.
Thanks for the all the replies. I’ve owned two NULA rifles prior to now; a 257wby with a #2 contour that I kick myself for selling everyday, snd a 270wby that is collecting dust in the back of my gun safe. I’ve shot both rifles, and the 270wby with a #2-1/2 contour is an absolute tack driver. The .257wby shot well under 1/2” too but I decided to hang onto the 270wby knowing it would get shot. I contacted Melvin today and he will be putting a new #2 contour 24” .257wby barrel on my current 270wby.

As for the 284win, I’ve got my basis covered now with a #2 stainless Douglas @ 22”. Said and done, now the wait begins once I send the 270wby back.

I bet you’ll like the 22” no. 2.

Stripes or no stripes?
Also, I bought that .270 of yours cheap about a decade ago. Somebody had floated it at some point and someone posted it on here saying it wouldn’t shoot. I sent it back to Melvin and he repainted the stock and bedded it and turned it into an absolute tack driver. Melvin said he had a paint idea he thought I would like. My favorite NULA paint job ever.
Posted By: slowmover12 Re: Ordering a NULA 284win - 12/23/21
I had a 100 day turnaround this summer on a CLR upgrade. Melvin was a pleasure to do business with. If the opportunity arises, I will do another rifle with him.
Posted By: Razorhog Re: Ordering a NULA 284win - 12/23/21
I just shot today a Colt Light that was Melvinized. Shot some factory Hornady American Whitetail 139 gr interlocks ( 270 ). 3/4" easily at 100 off bags. I have several of Mr. Forbes reworks. All are real shooters. A fine gentleman that thought outside the box and made it work! I hope he keeps going for many years.
Posted By: Fastback65 Re: Ordering a NULA 284win - 12/23/21
I got the 300 win mag Nula love the rifle but found Melvin could be grochey at times. Pleasant some days onery other days. I am sure he gets tired of the same old questions? Would i order another one yes.
With the Nula in 300 for my big game and a custom Ruger M77in a 257 AI for Blacktail and varmits do not know what other caliber's i need.
I have a 6.5 Creed that just sits in the safe as the other two do what i need done.
Posted By: HalH Re: Ordering a NULA 284win - 12/23/21
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer
Also, I bought that .270 of yours cheap about a decade ago. Somebody had floated it at some point and someone posted it on here saying it wouldn’t shoot. I sent it back to Melvin and he repainted the stock and bedded it and turned it into an absolute tack driver. Melvin said he had a paint idea he thought I would like. My favorite NULA paint job ever.

Can you share a photo of your rifle's paint job ?

Thanks
Hal
Posted By: gene270 Re: Ordering a NULA 284win - 12/23/21
he is 75 at some point i am sure he gets tired of some ones bs as we all do
Posted By: cooperfan Re: Ordering a NULA 284win - 12/23/21
Thanks for the all the replies. I’ve owned two NULA rifles prior to now; a 257wby with a #2 contour that I kick myself for selling everyday, snd a 270wby that is collecting dust in the back of my gun safe. I’ve shot both rifles, and the 270wby with a #2-1/2 contour is an absolute tack driver. The .257wby shot well under 1/2” too but I decided to hang onto the 270wby knowing it would get shot. I contacted Melvin today and he will be putting a new #2 contour 24” .257wby barrel on my current 270wby.

As for the 284win, I’ve got my basis covered now with a #2 stainless Douglas @ 22”. Said and done, now the wait begins once I send the 270wby back.

Great choice, congrats
Posted By: horse1 Re: Ordering a NULA 284win - 12/26/21
Given current projectile technology, then a look back at where we came from, I'd not build/barrel anything in .224, 6MM, 6.5MM, or 7MM that WASN'T 1:7" as it sure doesn't seem like any projectile manufacturers are R&Ding new stuff with an eye towards SAAMI or slower twist rates.

Choose whatever rifle/builder, brass vessel, and bbl taper that tickles your fancy but stack the odds in your favor regarding twist-rate and future projectiles.
Posted By: Iclimb Re: Ordering a NULA 284win - 12/28/21
I sold some stuff this fall to call and build the same project….I’ll be going with a 1;9” #2 @ 22” classic paint! I’ve always wanted one and st some point this guy won’t be doing this anymore and I’ll wish I’d jumped aboard…considering the price bog stock r700, m70’s. Fieldcrafts (if you csn find one)…these are all selling for crazy prices it’s not too much more coin to get one from Melvin!
I’ll probably be getting a 1;8” 22-250 ai if he’ll do it…. Love the timeless simplicity and prudent features;)
© 24hourcampfire