Home
Posted By: Ky221 Which action for 6BR? - 11/21/22
Toying with the idea of a 6BR build similar to that of a 700 Varmint or a Sako 75/85 Varmint. Rifle will be setup as a SS, stock would be a Mcmillan in the Remington Hunter pattern. Barrel contour would be similar to that of a 700 Varmint.

What action would you choose for this? With the current prices of a base 700, it seems like going custom is a no brainer.
Posted By: HandgunHTR Re: Which action for 6BR? - 11/21/22
A Mack Bros. EVO would be a decent choice.

I would just get the single shot version rather that sheeting it up with a SS follower as well.
Posted By: Al_Nyhus Re: Which action for 6BR? - 11/22/22
I used a Kelbly Atlas single shot for one of my 22BR's. With the coned bolt and the optional 'Panda' spacer, you can put any barrel chambered/fitted for a Panda on it w/o the 'smith needing to have the action in hand. That's a huge plus down the road when you want to change barrels or get another one to make it a true switch barrel setup.

Mine is in a Kelbly's Varmint stock with a Sendero barrel contour. I also have a 6BR on a 700 in a McMillan Sako Varmint pattern stock...love it.

A few pics of my 22BR Atlas...you can see the 'Panda' spacer if you look closely.

Let me know if you need more info on the Atlas, etc.

Good shootin' smile -Al

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Posted By: HalH Re: Which action for 6BR? - 11/22/22
I think Borden makes a action just for the 6BR. Top Shelf.

Hal
Posted By: Al_Nyhus Re: Which action for 6BR? - 11/22/22
Jim Borden's stuff is top shelf for sure. -Al
Posted By: Higginez Re: Which action for 6BR? - 11/22/22
I'd personally skip anything with a plunger ejector.
Running two with the 700 action. One is a RemAge and the other a standard barrel install. Have a mag box spacer and cut/filed my follower as shown on 6br.com. Didn't feel the need for a custom action as both work great.
Posted By: MuskegMan Re: Which action for 6BR? - 11/22/22
Like the snake skin Al
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Which action for 6BR? - 11/22/22
I've a few,both CRF and PF and would happily go 700(again),but would want an AICS DBM Repeater. No-turn,8" or better RPM and James' spouts are sensational. S/S Shilen Double-Ounce trigger. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Of course I have Rem Hunters too,but a Terrain is tough to whoop. Hint................
Posted By: Cctx Re: Which action for 6BR? - 11/29/22
I like the tikka actions
Originally Posted by Big Stick
I've a few,both CRF and PF and would happily go 700(again),but would want an AICS DBM Repeater. No-turn,8" or better RPM and James' spouts are sensational. S/S Shilen Double-Ounce trigger. Hint.

Of course I have Rem Hunters too,but a Terrain is tough to whoop. Hint................

big stick, what is the action in the rifle on the top in the picture.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Which action for 6BR? - 11/29/22
Vudoo Rimfires are wayyyyyyyyyy outta your league. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!................
Posted By: Teal Re: Which action for 6BR? - 11/29/22
Stick- why BR over Creed? Or no....
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Which action for 6BR? - 11/29/22
The OP was sniffing a BR and I get the appeal,as it is a MAGNIFICENT chambering. Mild manners,no bullschit,exceptional brass and dies,which all in conjunction,seemingly beg to please. Win/win. Hint.

I think highly of the Seex Kreed and actually have more of them,than I do BR's. That's due the fact,that there are some EXCEPTIONAL Factory Rifles offered and chambered same,where it isn't so for the 6BR. Hint.

The OP never stated the application and if only as per always,I gotta have a few good reasons to leave a 223 behind,if it isn't just curiosity in regards to a new chambering. I just nabbed an action the other day,have a GB Outlander coming in the Mail and have a TT flatty laying in wait,for a 21" 7" RPM 223 SALAMI build. Bus the bolt,weld on new handle,yada,yada,yada. That being said,my newest CTR(20" S/S) chambered same,seems to do fine with 75 ELD magfed Smooches. Hint.

Not that I don't LOVE my Baby Montucky 6BR. Hint.

Just sayin'...................
Posted By: pete53 Re: Which action for 6BR? - 11/29/22
i kinda would like a 6 BR rifle in a bolt ? or single shot made from a Ruger #1 maybe ?
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Vudoo Rimfires are wayyyyyyyyyy outta your league. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!................

Bat machine is outta your league LOL, hint do they offer that in a repeater? that dinky action length might run fireball cases? need a hint
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Which action for 6BR? - 11/30/22
cumsincowboys,

You are in soooooooooooo fhuqking AMAZINGLY far over your pointy head,it's a shame you Incredible Stupidity precludes you an inkling...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Happy GoogleFu Fhuqktard. Hint.

As an aside,it's CRF and nothing else is in the realm. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.............
Get some suppressors on those guns, little stick. Hint. Phuqing laughing.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Which action for 6BR? - 11/30/22
cumsincowboys,

Google on and fortunately for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so even YOU can "afford" to "contribute"...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Bless your poo poor(literally) heart,for trying though.

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.............
Posted By: slm9s Re: Which action for 6BR? - 11/30/22
Bat, Borden, Kelbly, and Pierce would be my suggestions for a smooth custom action.

I'm a huge 6br fan. My Nesika J 6ppc wasn't getting used much so I had a 8 twist 6br barrel spun up and found 50 lapua brass with the rims cut down to fit the ppc boltface. 105 moly Bergers for LR range practice.
Used short range benchrest guns are always veeerrryyy smooth and are often cheap compared to building your own new rifle.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

This is my latest 6br. I had an extra 700 SA and bought a used 6br barrel. I call it my 6BR 700 Parts Gun. It shoots. 66gr Woodwards.

If you need brass, champions choice has lapua in stock for a good price. Good luck.
Posted By: scoony Re: Which action for 6BR? - 12/01/22
Originally Posted by pete53
i kinda would like a 6 BR rifle in a bolt ? or single shot made from a Ruger #1 maybe ?

I built one in 6mm CM and love it.

Posted By: pete53 Re: Which action for 6BR? - 12/01/22
Originally Posted by scoony
Originally Posted by pete53

I built one in 6mm CM and love it.

very nice !
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Which action for 6BR? - 12/02/22
I have built a 6mmBR on Rem700 short action and a sav99.

I operated both as single shot.
Both were crazy accurate.
I shot a couple antelope with the Rem700.
Posted By: boatanchor Re: Which action for 6BR? - 12/02/22
I built my 6BR on a Remington XR100 action, it turned out very nice and shoots awesome but after truing the action and having to get the bolt bushed if I had to do it over I would get a custom action and save the headache
Posted By: pullit Re: Which action for 6BR? - 12/02/22
I have had 6mmBR's on 700s in the past but the one I just finished up was built on a Tikka.
Custom action would be nice but I had the action laying here so why not?
Posted By: Ky221 Re: Which action for 6BR? - 12/02/22
I ordered a Kelbly Atlas.

I appreciate all of the input.
Posted By: pullit Re: Which action for 6BR? - 12/02/22
that should turn out nice
Posted By: Al_Nyhus Re: Which action for 6BR? - 12/03/22
Originally Posted by Ky221
I ordered a Kelbly Atlas.

I appreciate all of the input.

Solid choice. -Al
Posted By: ldholton Re: Which action for 6BR? - 12/14/22
I myself have been thinking about building a 6br mainly because I came across 600 pieces of brand new Lapua brass. that I have no other use for so let's build it. unless I convert it to 7 br brass which I currently have.. I just like to find the factory Savage in stock that I can get my hands on...
Posted By: 65BR Re: Which action for 6BR? - 12/28/22
Easier to bump 1/2 mm than 1mm wink

Pete, I had a #1, Pac-Nor 1V contour, carried to 26", Kepplinger trigger, their gunsmith had built one that Chris told me shot about 1" groups, IIRC, at 500. That might be off.......or not.....but they had glass bedded the forearm........NOT your customary route.....but I told them to do mine that way. Long story, I shot 3 into < .5" at 330 yds with 105 amax........who says #1's can't shoot?!? smile

I had many built, most on 700s, and one on a Stiller, that last was 24" 700V taper, 8 twist, and shot 1/4" at 200 yds time and again. Bartlein and Jewel btw. Hands down my fave round for all out accuracy.

That said, as stick said - Factory rifles.........and yes ammo, make a 6CM very intriguing........it feeds w/o any mods, and has a bit more speed, though likely 1/2 the bore life.

All that said, I have NEVER owned any 6mm that failed to shoot well under moa. 243s, 6 Rem, BRs...

As to killing, dumped my farthest deer kill, lasered right at 400. Killed several with it with 105 amax and even the 95 BT in a Nesika Bay Predator that had a 10T....that was a sweet SS bolt rig with great walnut. Shot 1/2" at 200 with those 95s btw.....so many choices.

Enjoy KY221.
Posted By: CharlieSisk Re: Which action for 6BR? - 12/28/22
Originally Posted by ghostrider272
Running two with the 700 action. One is a RemAge and the other a standard barrel install. Have a mag box spacer and cut/filed my follower as shown on 6br.com. Didn't feel the need for a custom action as both work great.
Can you post a link to the magazine/follower mod ? I cant find it on the site.
Thanks
Charlie
© 24hourcampfire