Home
Okay, I have a LH Winchester 70 in 300 WSM that I'll not likely shoot. Not sure whether to sell it or re-barrel to a 6.5 or 25 caliber WSM. I don't need either one but since when does a rifle loony let that slow them down?

It would be mule deer, whitetail, pronghorn and coyotes/pigs on the menu. I'm satisfied either one will work splendidly. 6.5 bullet selection is better but 25 caliber bullets are getting better too.

What say you loonies?
always wondered why Winchester never made a 6.5 or a .257 WSM would have been a great cartridges either one . i always wanted a .257 WSM in a Ruger #1 but would have been kinda expensive and who would want it after i died ? so i purchased a bunch of 257 Robert rifles for family and myself including 2 Ruger #1 1B`s 257 Roberts , i do also have 2 Ruger #1`s in 257 Weatherby mags. also all shoot great ! but it still haunts me about a Ruger #1 257 WSM . good luck,Pete53
.264 WSM for the superior bullet selection
As much as I like a 25 I can’t think of one single reason to other than “you” just want to. I would be much more likely to drop down one more time to 24 if I was inclined to neck the 6.5prc down.

I agree with the proper factory support(Hornady) the 25prc could be a hit….or at least a cool option.

Sorry it reads wsm and I was thinking prc.
If forced to burn a .532" Winny S/A Donor up,it would be an 8" RPM 7 Whizzum and throated to kiss 2900fps .796 BC 180's at 2.950". Hint................
Kaleb, since you brought up the PRC, what is the advantage of the PRC over the WSM? Add to that, the SAUM.
The case is a little shorter than the wsm and a little more available. I’ve not compared side by side with the saum case. I assume the prc is also a little more available than the saum case too.

I love 25’s but I think the same itch could be scratched by loading 108’s or 123’s in the 6.5. I completely get doing something just because though.

The biggest reason I brought up the prc is I wasn’t paying attention and apparently can’t tell the difference between wsm and prc…lol.
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
Kaleb, since you brought up the PRC, what is the advantage of the PRC over the WSM? Add to that, the SAUM.

Lapua or ADG brass.
I bought some 7mm SAUM brass from ADG when I was thinking I would build a 7 SAUM and have talked myself out of it due to brass availability.

Looks like the 6.5 PRC is built on a short action where the 7mm and above is built on long actions. That sound right?
I bought some 7mm SAUM brass from ADG when I was thinking I would build a 7 SAUM and have talked myself out of it due to brass availability.

Looks like the 6.5 PRC is built on a short action where the 7mm and above is built on long actions. That sound right?

It's more of a 3.0" sorta cartridge. So it's kind of a tweener between a true short (2.8") and a regular (3.4").
My buddy and I built several on Highwalls back when the [bleep] caes first came out.
We used Ron Smith gain twist Palma tapers on them. His was a 28" and mine was a 30" .
Both of these rifles were crazy accurate. I had several 3 and 5 shot groups at 1,000 with them
Another friend built one on a Ruger #1, his son still shoots it.
I took 5 deer past 900 yards with it, back when I was inclined to try that- which I no longer do BTW.
Love that cartridge ....
Edit note: if I had my time back I would likely have done up another SAUM instead of the WSM'S , tgst case seemed to work out a bit better
Cat
Winny Whizzum OEM magboxes are 3" and small change. The "difference" betwixt a 7mm ShamWow(2.035") and 7 Whizzum(2.100") case,is .065"...with the 264 Prick going 2.030". Hint.

The 7 Whizzum and 180's,are VERY happy at said 3" COAL. Thus the nudge. Hint..........
I had a nice Winchester Super Grade in 300 WSM that I had Kirby Allen rebarrel to 6.5 WSM back in 2006. It has been my favored rifle since. Necking down 270 WSM brass is no problem. Bertram make brass with a 6.5 WSM headstamp if needed like when going to Mexico for Coues deer.
I am giving consideration to doing the same to my LH 300 WSM Model 70.

By the way, the photography at the link on your post is spectacular. Are you Doug?
I am giving consideration to doing the same to my LH 300 WSM Model 70.

By the way, the photography at the link on your post is spectacular. Are you Doug?

A new barrel would certainly be the easy route. And yes, I am Doug.
OSU,
I did a 25saum and a 6.5 saum Lots of years ago. I still have both. The 25 was built on a short 700. I learned several things during that process and so the 6.5 is on a long 700. It was an interesting experience. Both work. Neither do anything other chambering can't do. After all these years I'm still on the watch for brass. I think the plain ol 7saum is more versatile than either. I had some feed issues for a while with the short 700 until Stick offered up his free and correct observations re parts etc.
headspace, got your pm and responded. the key message I took from your post is that "they won't do anything other chambering can't do". I'm pushing this project back for a while and may move on to another project and leave this one alone.
There is always time to try something new. And fun. The 25saum is a sort of 257 Weatherby almost. it was entertaining in a short action. The 6.5 on the same case but in a long action was better, but still no magic. I now figure that 3000 fps with anything is plenty enough for me, and more than I need mostly. But,, ain't it fun to experiment?!
7mm WSM would be the path I took.
Originally Posted by headspace
There is always time to try something new. And fun. The 25saum is a sort of 257 Weatherby almost. it was entertaining in a short action. The 6.5 on the same case but in a long action was better, but still no magic. I now figure that 3000 fps with anything is plenty enough for me, and more than I need mostly. But,, ain't it fun to experiment?!

AGREED
Originally Posted by Wp75169
7mm WSM would be the path I took.
WSM vs SAUM? Defend.
Okay, I have a LH Winchester 70 in 300 WSM that I'll not likely shoot. Not sure whether to sell it or re-barrel to a 6.5 or 25 caliber WSM. I don't need either one but since when does a rifle loony let that slow them down?

It would be mule deer, whitetail, pronghorn and coyotes/pigs on the menu. I'm satisfied either one will work splendidly. 6.5 bullet selection is better but 25 caliber bullets are getting better too.

What say you loonies?

6.5 WSM would be interesting... 25 WSM is getting really overbore if that matters?

Based on the success I’ve had with it I’d say go 6.5 SAUM instead, though. It was given SAAMI approval as the 6.5 GAP 4S. Great cartridge.
I have a 264 WSM on a Savage action with an 8" twist PacNor barrel. I use FC 270 WSM brass and either IMR 4831 or AA8700 with 130s and 140s.
If I went with the 25 cal I would surely get an 8" or 7.5" twist, even though 130gr pills are near impossible to find now.
Originally Posted by Jeff_O

What say you loonies?

6.5 WSM would be interesting... 25 WSM is getting really overbore if that matters?

Based on the success I’ve had with it I’d say go 6.5 SAUM instead, though. It was given SAAMI approval as the 6.5 GAP 4S. Great cartridge.
If I end up doing a build, I have decided it will be the 6.5 SAUM. Thank you.
Shortly after the WSM I built a 6.5 WSM for hunting and shot the barrel out in about 500 rounds, my mileage was similar to others with the same. Burning the barrel out fast is not a reason not to build a gun in that cartridge but it is good to know before hand.
That's good info. Thanks Wade.
© 24hourcampfire