Home
Howdy all, been looking at a Mcwhorter custom rifle and wanted to get some feedback from ya'll on the whole package, I'am currenyly shooting a kimber 8400 montana in 270wsm it shoots MOA.
Just wondering if its worth the upgrade.
Thx for any comments
I have a few of them and I believe they are worth every penny. I personally believe they produce the best custom hunting rifle. Tim is a great gunsmith and a super guy. Allan Rovig is a great gentlemen too and has come to be a good friend. They are both very accomplished whitetail hunters with several "booners" to their names. You also get great service after sale. I do know that they are about to release a new "series" rifle that should be a little more affordable.

I don't know looking at the cut out of the stock by the bolt barrel opening it looks like the cut is not lined up to me in the first picture.

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=131251708
I know I'd base my decision on that...
Originally Posted by killitgrillit
Howdy all, been looking at a Mcwhorter custom rifle and wanted to get some feedback from ya'll on the whole package, I'am currenyly shooting a kimber 8400 montana in 270wsm it shoots MOA.
Just wondering if its worth the upgrade.
Thx for any comments

The short answer is, Yes.
killit-

You're actually the only one that can define whether they're worth it or not. What are you looking for, and, what's important to you? If a wee smaller cluster, a better fit/finish etc is worth a couple extra grand to ya, heck yes, they're worth it. I've only handled one and it exuded quality. A couple of other folks that I know have rather discriminating tastes in rifles own them as well - that speaks volumes.

Only downside I see is that they need to fall out of love with their muzzle brakes - that's an easy fix and doesn't speak to actual quality anyway. grin
Originally Posted by mtnman1
I know I'd base my decision on that...
I'm picky on things as such especially for a rifle that's 1800.00 to 5000.00.
Well considerin' they built neither the action nor the stock, it's a swirly so they can't adjust much and it don't look that outa line to me I think I'd find out if it shot.

Course I care more about the things that count.
I do to as well, and paying the money they require you to pay for one of their rigs I don't care HOW it shoots MY stuff has to be water tight from the pad to the crown spending that kinda of coin. Go to their site you'll see more than one that's not lined up correctly you don't see this in Kampfelds, Bansner, Echols, Baldwin, or LongShot's if you do it's few and far between..................listen not bashing just calling a spade a spade from what's seen outta my eyes, the Gentleman asked a question and I answered. Like I mentioned I'm picky.....have a rifle now that shoots likea house on FIRE the work that was done to it is SIMPLY pathetic, that rifle is going through a make over and I spent 3200.00+ for that one, mind you THAT smith will never see another dollar or build from me.
I have personally put my hands on the rifles you are speaking of. The workmanship is super. Tim is a super gunsmith with countless hours of experience both building rifles and guiding hunters. Not mention an IQ of 160. Keep in mind the rifles on the Gun Rack are all for sale. They are not showy pictures that have been Photoshopped for the web site. They have all be tested for function and accuracy. Tim always pays extra attention to fit,finish, and bedding. It is Allan's job to make sure the best components go into a rifle and make sure they shoot. And man do they shoot. My 270wby will make bug holes with everything I throw in it.
IMO $5500 for a rifle like that is a friggen joke, the only rifles I have seen that are truely worth that kind of coin are custom mausers and pre 64's done by a big name smith, weibe, biesen etc with a piece of wood that gives you a boner.

if you want a remchester done up with a mcswirley and a custom barrel, one can have those built for under 2k all day long by well known smiths, good lord the gun doesn't give blow jobs, all you are really doing is buying a name
Most of the well known gunsmiths these days are getting 3K and up for rifles built on a 700 action. Seems like as soon as they get a couple of "write-up's" in any of the popular rags, their prices jump considerably. Take a look at the Sisk website and you will see what I'm talking about. Not knocking Charlie, but 5K plus seems a little high for a rifle built around a 700 action. At least some of the other well knowns (Borden, Bansner etc.) are using custom actions on their 4-5K hunting rifles.
function over form for me any day...
Originally Posted by JimBobwsm
I have personally put my hands on the rifles you are speaking of. The workmanship is super. Tim is a super gunsmith with countless hours of experience both building rifles and guiding hunters. Not mention an IQ of 160. Keep in mind the rifles on the Gun Rack are all for sale. They are not showy pictures that have been Photoshopped for the web site. They have all be tested for function and accuracy. Tim always pays extra attention to fit,finish, and bedding. It is Allan's job to make sure the best components go into a rifle and make sure they shoot. And man do they shoot. My 270wby will make bug holes with everything I throw in it.
Mr JimBob not saying Tim's not a super gunsmith not questioning that AT ALL Sir. All I'm saying is this the respected rifles on the GunRack that can be seen ALL of them does not have stock alignment discrepancies the ones that do I feel should not be sold or put on a rifle especially for that kind of money. I'm sure alot of you are doing well financially(Blessed) and may not care about what I'm speaking of here that's your prerogative wink .
Originally Posted by mtnman1
function over form for me any day...
I want both wink will NOT settle for less grin .
Custom action 1200.00
Bottom Metal 200.00
Jewell Trigger 225.00
Hart Fluted barrel 390.00
Mickey stock 400.00
Muzzle brake 200.00

Gun Build Labor+ Rifle testing+ load devopment+ Reputation=5500.00

Don't look like they are getting rich. Some people drive Toyotas and some people drive Bentleys. Some people hunt public land near there home and some people go on outfitted hunts in Alberta.

I'll betcha 40 quaters to a nickel their not paying retail for most of the parts you mention the only action that's custom on the site for 1200.00 is a Nesika, and I know for a FACT you canget dealor price on the Nesika's, and Stiller's not to mention the other parts. To say the least they have to eat to and I don't mind paying for a product that I like such as a custom rifle ESPECIALLY if it's tight.
Originally Posted by Popapi
I don't know looking at the cut out of the stock by the bolt barrel opening it looks like the cut is not lined up to me in the first picture.

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=131251708

OK, so how would you have him fix the stock alignment "problem" you're talkin' about? It's a Swirly so it ain't like he's gonna plug it and re-cut it. If you're that worried about it don't order it with a swirly. I promise ya, if you request a swirly from any of the makers you mentioned and say it all has to align perfectly, they'll either tell ya you'll have to potentially live with those minor alignment issues or don't do the swirly thing. Reality sucks.
If someone is looking for perfect esthetic's, I wouldn't order a McSwirly either.
Dude I'm not JUST talking about the McM Swirly go to their site and look this IS NOT THE ONLY STOCK WITH DISCREPANCIES read my post above, and I'm sure as a matter of FACT I know ALL McM Swirly's don't have these problems. What I'm saying is if it don't line up FOR this kind of money I won't buy it I don't care who builds it they won't get my money.
Originally Posted by RDFinn
If someone is looking for perfect esthetic's, I wouldn't order a McSwirly either.
Mr Finn I look for esthetic's for this type of money that would be spent on a HIGH dollar custom rig, now I have seen McSwirly's that line up perfect, as a matter of fact my buddy has numerous that does line up. I don't purchase them because I like the edge technology that's just me.
Most I know generally blame the gunsmith for the stockmaker's flaws too
One could if the gunsmith had to do some adjustment's like on the rifle I speak of above the smith bungged up the bolt release cut out on the stock......please forgive me.....PISSED me off. Did you go to their site and look at what I was talking about?
It's not just how they line up. I'm referring to seam lines and being able to see the texture of cloth on the surface of some of the McSwirly's. I had a 30 STW built by a well known PA gunsmith that was pretty bad in that respect, but it shot like gangbuster's. I was told by them that visible cloth lines were more noticeable depending on the colors selected. In fairness, they offered to replace the stock, but, they stated that they could not guarantee the next one to be perfect either.

Roy
straight from the mcmillan website...

Molded in colors are the most durable finish we offer. With a molded finish, the color is impregnated into the gelcoat, or exterior surface layer of the stock. All of the molded-in finishes below should be considered utility-grade. Mold lines, sanding marks, fiberglass cloth and small imperfections may be visible.
Originally Posted by RDFinn
It's not just how they line up. I'm referring to seam lines and being able to see the texture of cloth on the surface of some of the McSwirly's. I had a 30 STW built by a well known PA gunsmith that was pretty bad in that respect, but it shot like gangbuster's. I was told by them that visible cloth lines were more noticeable depending on the colors selected. In fairness, they offered to replace the stock, but, they stated that they could not guarantee the next one to be perfect either.

Roy
Mr Finn I've seen the cloth issue on them and your exactly right I think McM even mention this on their site. O my bad mtnman1 posted it above.
I'm aware of that info now but wasn't when I had that particular rifle built. I'm not trying to imply that McMillan makes substandard stocks cause in my opinion they make the best fiberglass stock around. In fact, I wouldn't use anything but a McMillan for a hunting rig. Just saying that if one is going to get all lathered up over cosmetics, a Swirly might not be your best option.
Mr Finn I love McMillan products not only that their customer service(Heather, Dianna, Ry) is second to none, just hate their stocks went up as per price which is very much so understood.
Thx for all the input, didn't mean to get all this started.
I've thought about it and think I'am gonna stick with my Montana for now. I got it used 6 months ago for $600 and mounted a leupy VXIII on it, it's taken 6 hogs, 3 deer and a bunch of coyotes. It will shot federal blue box ammo into 1 1/2 at 100 5 shots about as fast as I can reload and shoot. It will do 5 shots in to 1/2-3/4 with my reloads.
I guess I was just wonering if the grass was greener on the other side
It is IF you want to spend the coin, if you like these things like I do I say if a man can he needs atleast one custom rifle, with that being said get you a McWhorter just make sure your satisfied before you spend your money IE: accuracy, fit and finish, or whatever it is your looking for!
Originally Posted by JimBobwsm
Custom action 1200.00
Bottom Metal 200.00
Jewell Trigger 225.00
Hart Fluted barrel 390.00
Mickey stock 400.00
Muzzle brake 200.00

Gun Build Labor+ Rifle testing+ load devopment+ Reputation=5500.00

Don't look like they are getting rich. Some people drive Toyotas and some people drive Bentleys. Some people hunt public land near there home and some people go on outfitted hunts in Alberta.

$hit can the muzzlebreak, if you need a break, your shooting too much rifle for yourself, williams bottom metal is around what $100?? not $200, a well worked remington 700 trigger is plenty good unless you want a benchrest rifle, especially on a hunting rifle. with that you come up to $2100 and that is by using a high dollar action, that is over priced, a used remmy selling off the donor parts $200 again with a remmy after gunsmithing you are at 2k with the full on custom action 3k, again that is a mile away from $5500, $5500 is too much money for a synthetic stocked rifle made by anyone!!
So I guess 14K for a Legend.................
Way too much money. If I spend 5K on a rifle, it better be perfect. That would be like paying full price for a new car with scratches, it just dont make sense???
They're mighty proud of their work. That said, the work appears nice.
If I had the moolah, I'd have a safe full of Tim McWhorter rifles. Other safes for David Christman rifles, Duane Weibe rifles, Steven Dodd Houghes rifles, and more great smiths..
I've got it bad for a Mcwhorter. There are several for sale on his website that keeps me awake at night. I'm moving to Colorado as soon as I sell my home and I need an elk rifle. I'd like a custom, or semi custom rifle. Mcwhorter is on the short list. I can purchase one of his listed customs without a delay and his rifles offer everything I need. However, Popapi has a valid point.
I had a Savage MZ with a laminated stock with the same issue. After a year or so the bolt handle would occasionaly hit out side the channel marring the stock. For a custom that runs 10 times what I paid for the Savage, there shouldn't be any issues at all.
Lee I had been looking at McWhorter rifles for awhile, but have a smith here that will build me the same rifle for quite a bit less that will shoot the same as any custom rifle built by anyone else, however if it wasn't for my smith OR Karl Feldcamp I would own a McWhorter just would buy one with the stock aligned!
I have a McWhorter 300 WSM,IT'S A VERY WELL PUT TOGETHER RIFLE and very accurate with Winchester FACTORY AMMO.Karl at Kampfeld Custom is my main gunsmith now and forever.I've found him and his work to be OUTSTANDING and cost less than McWhorter.Karl is a FINE GUNSMITH and I'm PROUD to say my friend,which means a whole bunch to me.
Building a push feed action isnt rocket science and many people can do it and do it well. I would not pay $5500 for that gun.
Although I haven't done a lot, I've done some research on the net and haven't found anyone badmouthing Mcwhorter or his rifles. In and of itself that speaks volumes. There aren't any world class gunsmiths where I live. I don't wish to wait a couple of years, or even one to receive a rifle. I am looking at Ed Brown, Dakota, Mcmillan, Borden, and of course Mr. Mcwhorter's work. It looks to me that the alignment issues are using Borden's actions in Mcmillan stocks. This is exactly the action and stock I'd purchase. I have the same reservations that Popapi has. Fortunately I don't have to make a decison right this moment.
The alignment issues you are talking about do come mainly from the borden action as it uses a straight bolt handle and the stocks are inletted for remington actions which work fine accept for the cosmetic issue.
jim made this change a few months ago and maybe these are stocks he had ordered previously i dont know, i do however think mcmillan will inlett for a remington action with a straight bolt handle to remedy this.

gene
Lee you done EXACTLY right...................researched! Wished I had researched alot more on my first custom build would have saved me ALOT of money. eek
All this fuss is about a single picture on the web. I have held the gun in question and it is real fine piece as are all the others on the gun rack. I have compared the McWhorters first hand to several others(No names) In my eyes there was no comparison. The guns from a renowned maker in SC were clunky at best. Lawn mower muffler for a muzzle brake. Clumsy feel and much more expensive. One other gunsmith does make a nice rifle but the McMillan stocks are superior to the ones he uses. McWhorter guarantees 1/2" at 100 with factory ammo. Fact is, with handloads, all of mine do better than that at 200yards.
I have 3 McWhorters in my safe right now. All are shooters and exceptionally well built. I've had sevaral Jarretts & Bansners, and numerous full blown customs built by other well known smiths. All are good but for me right now... I like McWhorters over all of them. They just seem to fit my tastes in rifles better, they fit me just right and did I say shooters??? All 3 of mine are bug holers!!! For my $$$$ they are worth it. 163bc
any rem 700 type rig for 3K + should be near perfection.
Echols & Penrod use Mcmilln stocks without the bolt cut so it can be cut to match the bolt handle perfectly,.. thats part of what custom means to me,.. attention to detail all through the rifle> from internal&external integrity, to simple refined aesthetics/cosmetics that dont require great mastermind effort,..
when building a custom, its not too much to expect.
A rem700 type custom with factory BDL b/metal and an obvious & unsightly missaligned excessive gap around the bolt handle all for $5.4k ...yeh right... whistle ..

Some offer more TLC&D...and superior b/metal for less money ($4.3k):
http://www.mcmfamily.com/images/rifles/MAC-CC-dynasty-elkhide.jpg

http://www.mcmfamily.com/images/rifles/MAC-CC-prodogy-bolthandle.jpg

http://www.mcmfamily.com/images/rifles/MAC-CC-prodogy-boltshroud.jpg

Less money still and no less a rifle:

Surgeon high precision receiver 770
Prem. barrel & quality fit/chamber 550
Jewell trigger 230
Billet bottom metal 100
Mac. stock padded fitted & inletted to perfection 1000
Metal coat 300
Muz. brake 400
GT= $3350
FWIW I've been dealing with Allan at McWhorters for years. Straight up and honest always. They are good folks to deal with. 163bc
Hey DMB- You speak to David Christman often? He is a GOOD GUY and a hoot. Him and Gene Ingram fell outta the same mold. They should be brothers........

Dave

I have a Mcwhorter rifle,and I have shot groups with it that average about an inch................

at 350 yards.

Tim is a master at building sporter weight rifles in magnum cartridges that shoot like tactical guns weighing a lot more.
I had Mcwhorter to build me a custom rifle in 7mm rem mag.
it is the whole package, from beauty to accuracy. the best shot I have got so far is 3 shots, 0.153" group. it is darn good. I have been to their shop to pick up my rifle, they are great people and they back up their word. actualy I debated for the longest time between " the best of the west LR 1000" or " mcwhorter", and I am extremely happy with my choice, it can not get better than this. so give them call, and I bet they will make you happy too.
I was looking to purchase a rifle from him at one time, but after leaving a couple messages and did not get a return phone call until a week later, I decided not to do business with him.

He seemed like a great guy, and apologized, but I was afraid if I needed any questions answered or help after the purchase, it would take days to reach him.

Maybe it was a bad time for him, but I was too afraid after that. His rifles look beautiful & lots of positive things from members here.
I've called and e-mailed often and always hear back usually with in a day unless of cource they are away. I think Tim and Allan both hunt and both take vacations with family. I just got a custom rifle from them a couple weeks ago and it is a true work of art. 1/4 to 1/2 inch groups at 100 yds don't hurt either!! To say I like em and am a big fan is an understatement. 163bc

Here is a pic of my MCWhorter 300WSM
[Linked Image]
a 10 shot group with the same 300WSM 165 Accubonds
[Linked Image]
Same 300WSM with 150 Partitions
[Linked Image]

One of my McWhorters in 300 RUM
[Linked Image]

group from the 300 RUM w/200 Partitions
[Linked Image]

my other McWhorter 300RUM
[Linked Image]

groups with 180 Accubonds
[img]http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh300/163bc/range%20day%20II/rangeday2-20-08003.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh300/163bc/range%20day%20II/rangeday2-20-08004.jpg[/img]

Pop-a-pill;

Have you ever actually handled or shot a McWhorter rifle, or are you going by pics on the 'net?

Simple question..........................
VA-numb-skull
R u asking me the ?
Yep, ya dumbphuck, and it's a pretty simple question.
You cRaCkHeAd don't ask me ANY questions or acknowledge anything I say on here UNTIL you send me my .257 cal. TTSX's you OWE me...................................................CLOWN.
In other words, you no actual hands-on experience with the rifles in question, and are just being a total jackazz. Good to know.............. and par for the course, with an Obamite communist sympathizer.
Naw SON your being the "jackazz" PAY YOUR DEBTS.
So, in other words, you still have no actual knowledge or experience with McWhorter rifles, correct?

I for one could stand to see more McWhorter rifle pictures from owners with targets. Lee
He built one for me two years ago. Exactly what I wanted and it turned out perfectly. Now I want at least one more from him.
Originally Posted by Lee_Woiteshek
Although I haven't done a lot, I've done some research on the net and haven't found anyone badmouthing Mcwhorter or his rifles. In and of itself that speaks volumes. There aren't any world class gunsmiths where I live. I don't wish to wait a couple of years, or even one to receive a rifle. I am looking at Ed Brown, Dakota, Mcmillan, Borden, and of course Mr. Mcwhorter's work. It looks to me that the alignment issues are using Borden's actions in Mcmillan stocks. This is exactly the action and stock I'd purchase. I have the same reservations that Popapi has. Fortunately I don't have to make a decison right this moment.

Just wanted to make something clear here--I offer two styles of bolt handles--I still offer the Rem 700 handle for those that have stocks with the Rem bolt Handle cutout already done. McMillan is offering the Rem 700 inletting for my actions with the straight bolt handle cutout as well.

Jim Borden
Put the bet out on the table for all to see.
Supposed to pick up my Tim built 7mm wsm next week. Will post pics and test targets soon.
Originally Posted by Lee_Woiteshek
I for one could stand to see more McWhorter rifle pictures from owners with targets. Lee

This is a picture of a target that required a one shot group from my McWhorter at just under 400 yards. It's takes a while to draw an Arizona Unit 1 antelope tag,I'm glad that I took the McWhorter rifle.

[Linked Image]

Nice speed goat Doc!
only you can decide this question
some guys are happy with a $700.00 remington
some a $1500.00 semi custom and others would say that both of those people are nuts to spend that on a gun.If it makes you happy and you can afford it then it was worth it.
I will say that borden rifles is now offering their basic model rifle with their action which mcwhorters uses alot at $2995.00 and i think that is alot of gun for the money when comparing other top builders.

gene
As soon as I sell my home, I will retire, and be Colorado bound. My retirement present will be one of these high end (for me) McWhorter/Borden/Dakota/Ed Brown rifles. Wish Mr. Borden would post pics of his current rifles for sale on his website also...
Tim just finished my new 7mm wsm. Stiller action, McMillan BDL stock, #5 Hart. After brake in, this is the first group I shot. 66.5grs of Supreme 780 under 168 Berger VLD's. Getting 3060fps out of them too.

Attached picture smDSC_0004.jpg
Attached picture smDSC_0006.JPG
Ya'll are simply killin me...
Lee

I have no experience with the rifles you mentioned EXCEPT Ed Brown and Jim Borden. As I researched, it was pretty clear that the fit/workmanship of Borden's was significantly better than Brown. As far as performance, my Borden 300 wsm came with a test target of .22 (3 shot group) My results have been the same...my worst group has been .63 with factory stuff. I found jim to be helpful and quick to return a call/email.(and patient with a newbie to the custom world)

Since my purchase I understand that the wait times are down with the addition of some more equipment. (they were a little long at the time of my purchase a couple of years ago)

I handled a few Browns, talked to Ed himself. (my conversations with him were not real helpful) I did not actually fire one...but then again I didn't have to. PM if you need any more info. My next one will be a Borden!

Greg
I would take a Borden over a Mcworter any day and yes I have owned both.
Found one in a 300 Weatherby for $3000 with a 4x14 Zeiss scope and tally rings. Sounds like a great deal to me Just need to convince my wife
© 24hourcampfire