Home
I have recently inherited a "sporterized" 1917 Enfield (Eddystone) in .30-06.
It was sporterized by Kenneth VanZandt of Arkansas in the late 1960's and has not been drilled and tapped for scope mounts, though the rear action "ears" have been milled off.
The stock has the correct drop for iron sights, so mounting a scope will probably result in a poor cheek weld.
It still has the cock-on-closing feature and original bolt handle.

I already have an accurate .30-06 so I was thinking about having my first custom build on this action.

Any advice on using this action? Cautions or suggestions for maximizing the benefits of this action?

I have always admired the .300 H&H but have never owned one, so this is my first thought.

Any and all input is greatly appreciated.

Ed
Ed, I don't think there are any P17s. A P14 or mod 17 maybe. The receiver is strong enough for any cartridge. Custom parts are available, but expensive. James Anderson has mine and is doing a 416 Rigby with extended tangs. Some of the metal work was done by John Farner in NM and some of it by Nick Hughes. Both are very good.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Nick should have the custom bolt release done in the next week or 2. He surface ground the receiver, did the bolt handle, scope bases, and rings.
John Farner got rid of the ears, built the mag box, installed Duane Wiebe bottom metal and follower. He did the feed work.
James Anderson will do the extended tangs, quarter rib, sling stud, and front sight. He will also do the stock.

Butch

Butch,
Thank you. I would guess that it is a Mod 17. I called it a P-17 as it originally looked like a P-14, but is marked "Model of 1917".

I like the looks of your project!

Is there a structural reason for the extended tangs?

Ed
I'd run it as it is, they aren't worth dumping the money into.
I disagree. The model of 1917's make some really fine full length magnum rifle builds. They are a true Mauser, have a great safety, and there are lots of aftermarket upgrade parts for it.

My 340 Tyrannosaur (338/8mm RemMag) is built on a 1917 with Dayton Traister Cock on opening mechanism and a speedlock set up that is so stout one needs a drill press to dissasemble the bolt and re-assemble it. Also has the matching trigger assembly and the trigger breaks crispy and cleanly at 2.25lbs. I have dual dovetail Burris bases and rings, a re-shaped Boyds JRS stock, Burris Euro Diamond 2-10x44 Posi Lock scope, Barrel was a McGown SS 300 WBY that after I wore it out was cut rifled and re-chambered by the late Dick Nickel and now prints nice little groups with 225GR TTSX Barnes bullets spitting out at 3100fps. Easily is my most used and deadliest rifle in the stable. Not only in my hands, but as a loaner in Africa for clients who used it to very deadly effect.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

As to the rifle in question, it would make an EXCELLENT 300 H&H or 375 H&H, as well as any other fll length magnum rifle you want. Even a 416 Rigby which would be a natural for the iron sights type stock you have. Good luck and keep us posted on this rifles progress! MARK
What would you do Steelhead, buy a Swampman Remington? I do a lot of things that other folks question, but I like them.
Ed, The extended tangs are more for looks in my case. It does give a little more strength in the wrist area.
Butch
Mine is nothing real fancy. Was originally "sporterized" by Dad shortly after his return from WWII. About ten years ago I updated it with a Timney trigger, B&C stock, shortened the barrel to 21" and added a 6x Leupold using Weaver rings and bases. I left it a .30-06, although I considered everything from a .25-06 to a .375 H&H mag.

In recent years my youngest son has developed a strong appreciation for this old family rifle:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The Model of 1917 really is a pretty doggone good rifle. I think it would be easiest to just use the '06 case, making your choice of .25-06, .270, .280, .338-06, or .35 Whelen pretty easy to do.

Regards, Guy

Steelhead's got a point. The 1917's aren't cost effective anymore given that you can buy off the shelf CZ550 actions for the 416 Rigby for about what you'd pay a gunsmith to do the conversion work on a 1917.

That said, I wouldn't mind have a 9.3x62 on a Remington Model 30. I've got one in 30 Remington that is too nice to cut up but I'm keeping my eyes peeled for a clean donor.

The 1917 has one of the best bolt action safeties ever made, in my opinion.
Thanks, all.

Glad to hear of no issues other than money and desire.

Butch, I'd like to hear how yours shoots when it is finished. I've owned a .375H&H, .416 Taylor, .416 Rem, and a .458WM, but the thought of a 416 Rigby puts a smile on my face.

Ed
The classic and powerful 416 Rigby and the 1917 action are a perfect match for one another. Build it and hunt it!
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
What would you do Steelhead, buy a Swampman Remington? I do a lot of things that other folks question, but I like them.
Ed, The extended tangs are more for looks in my case. It does give a little more strength in the wrist area.
Butch

Were it me Butch I'd not get my panties so sucked up in my twat, he asked a question and I gave my opinion. If you don't like it I suggest you shove that action straight up your ass, assuming something isn't already in the way.

If you don't like an answer, don't ask a question.
Or one could send it off to Art Alpin, he REALLY knows how to polish a turd.
I have seen all kinds of calibers on 1917 actions, most
recent was a 375H&H.
Originally Posted by safariman
I disagree. The model of 1917's make some really fine full length magnum rifle builds. They are a true Mauser, have a great safety, and there are lots of aftermarket upgrade parts for it.

My 340 Tyrannosaur (338/8mm RemMag) is built on a 1917 with Dayton Traister Cock on opening mechanism and a speedlock set up that is so stout one needs a drill press to dissasemble the bolt and re-assemble it. Also has the matching trigger assembly and the trigger breaks crispy and cleanly at 2.25lbs. I have dual dovetail Burris bases and rings, a re-shaped Boyds JRS stock, Burris Euro Diamond 2-10x44 Posi Lock scope, Barrel was a McGown SS 300 WBY that after I wore it out was cut rifled and re-chambered by the late Dick Nickel and now prints nice little groups with 225GR TTSX Barnes bullets spitting out at 3100fps. Easily is my most used and deadliest rifle in the stable. Not only in my hands, but as a loaner in Africa for clients who used it to very deadly effect.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

As to the rifle in question, it would make an EXCELLENT 300 H&H or 375 H&H, as well as any other fll length magnum rifle you want. Even a 416 Rigby which would be a natural for the iron sights type stock you have. Good luck and keep us posted on this rifles progress! MARK

Very Nice Rig cool cool
Here is my USMC marked 1917 Enfield .300 H&H :

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It was originally built by a fellow in Medford, OR as his LR elk rifle.

The barrel is a 26 inch Apex (at least that is what I was told)

It is also drilled and tapped for a Lyman receiver sight.

It has the Dayton Traister Cock on open and speed lock as well as the DT trigger.

It currently wears a K-8 Steel Tube Weaver and puts the 190 grain Hornady BTSP into tiny little groups at 100 yards

The only real down side is that when field ready with a sling and full magazine it weighs a smidge over 11lbs.
I like the m1917 action too. Grew up using one in Nevada. Chased everything from lizards to big mulies with it. They are heavy and probably meant for a much larger cartridge than what they were originally designed for. If it were me I'd opt for 300 H&H or 375 H&H or maybe even a 416 of some sort. Your options are almost endless with that action.

[Linked Image]
Here's my pre 64 and my poor man's pre 64 blush (both rifles made in 1951). Correction: the bsa model D (factory sporterized m1917) was sporterized in 1951.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Lots of space inside a 1917/Remington Model 30 action. Here's a look at mine chambered in 30 Remington. That's a 150gr Nosler Ballistic Tip seated as far out as the chamber would allow.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Oregon45
Lots of space inside a 1917/Remington Model 30 action. Here's a look at mine chambered in 30 Remington. That's a 150gr Nosler Ballistic Tip seated as far out as the chamber would allow.

[Linked Image]

Things that make you go Hmmmmmm......... grin
I once saw one rebarreled to 223 many years ago.
The 30 Remington was an original factory chambering, along with the 35 Remington. Mine has a very quick tapering slim barrel that results in good balance and handling despite the weight of the action itself. Unfortunately, the crescent steel buttplate is uncomfortable even with the mild recoil generated by the 30 Remington.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Hillbillybear, Thank you for the compliment, that Hurt and Hurt is pretty awsome, as well. Lots of similarities between your gun and mine with all of the D-T stuff.

BSA and Oregon45, nice hunting rigs there, too! If that model 30 was not collector pristine, I would have a chambering reamer at the ready! Cool gun anyway.

When mine was a 'mere' 30/06 (original barrel, til I wore it out) and later a 300 WBY it and I took game from all over in factory ammo capable guise as well. Bull ELk, Black Bear, a truckload of deer, even a few varmints along the way.

Great custom rifle basis, in my view.
Originally Posted by Jericho
I once saw one rebarreled to 223 many years ago.

WOW! That one begs the question, WHY?

I have seriously considered leaving mine .30-06, but never thought of rebarreling it to a short action cartridge, much less a true small bore.

Given that, I bet you could watch your hits 'cause the thing wouldn't move in recoil! laugh

Ed

It was a heavy barrel with the original stock, and had a block
in the magazine to make it a single shot. Have also encountered
a couple in 22-250.
A 1917 in 223.... Wrong at SO many levels. Sigh.
It had to be a labor of love. Slightly off topic, but I once
saw an Arisaka that had been rebarreled to 257WBY.
Well, that woud be an UGLY 257WBY, but it makes sense from a purely utilitarian POV. Those Jap actions are certainly strong enough.

Back on topic, There are lots of nice big bores out there on 1917's. I hope the OP goes to at least a 300 H&H with his. To go less would be a cryin shame and waste of action length capabilities. Just a down right shame.
404 Jeffery would be my choice if converting to a magnum bolt face.
A Great old cartridge, but kinda short for that action, though. It would work, just like a 35 Whelen or other medium length round would work. I still vote 416 Rigby if going Ele class. If not going really big, then 375 H&H, 375WBY, or one of the STW or RUM rounds. If using the stock that is with it,set up for irons, then 375 and up makes the most sense from here.
The 416 Rigby on a 1917 has the O'Connor connection, which is not to be underestimated. In fact, that might sway me to the 416 entirely. I can always have a 404 on a Mauser, as the rifle-gods intended grin
NOW youre a-talkin!
IMO the best use for a Enfield is to do a 416 Rigby ala Tom Burgess style...

Dober
I have two, a 300 WBY and 30-06. I had to modify the feed rails with a ball mill to get it to feed 300 WBY cases to my satisfaction. It was utterly reliable until I broke the stock! I have a new stock that Mel Smart glued up for me that I need to finish and drop it in. I am thinking about a new barrel in 375 H&H or 375 WBY at the same time though!
375 would be ok, I'd not go smaller on this action though, but that's just me and my ways.

A friend here inherited one, and he's thinking about 375 as he's not overly crazy about the 416 Rigby.

Guess B&C makes a handle for the Enfield, might turn it into a yote rifle yet...grin

Dober
Steelhead, I luv you man. I enjoy sticking a burr up your azz occasionally. Wakes you up from your dreamland.
I do agree that a CZ550 may be cheaper and I do have one in 458 Lott. But after buying good bottom metal, 3 pos safety, trigger, and straightening the threads you will have a sum of money in the 550.
Butch
Posted By: Owl Re: Advice on P-17 Action Build - 01/23/18
Sorry for digging up an old thread. Ed too many letters, what became of your model 1917 ?
Always liked the old Enfield 17!

Hang a pic if it ever got finished!
Posted By: Lowgun Re: Advice on P-17 Action Build - 01/23/18
I have 1917s in 25-06, 30-06, and a single shot .220 Swift. My question is "What publication and date had the article about O'Connor's .416 build by Al Biesen with a low power Weaver on the 1917?" This gun is not pictured or mentioned in the Jack O'Connor book for some reason.
This is the one steelhead doesn't like. A 416 Rigby
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: hanco Re: Advice on P-17 Action Build - 01/24/18
I have had a couple, one was a .333 OKH Belted built by Charlie O’Neil. I had another with a Buhmiller Barrel, it was a 22-250. I gave it to DesertMuleDeer. He is turning it into a 416 Rigby.

Who made the most desirable 1917, Winchester, Remington or Eddystone?
Posted By: ipopum Re: Advice on P-17 Action Build - 01/24/18
Most that I know said that the Rem. was. The eddystone as I recall had a cutout in the rear bridge that was unsightly.

I have had some of all of them and find no difference in function. All worked well and shot well.

The only one I still have is a Rem. and has always been a .75 inch rifle with 180 grain loads.
Hell of a nice rifle! Only change I would make is to keep the original rocker type safety.
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Hell of a nice rifle! Only change I would make is to keep the original rocker type safety.

I understand, but all of mine including my Remington's have the same 3 pos on the bolt shroud. Makes it easier to remember when changing rifles.
Originally Posted by Owl
Sorry for digging up an old thread. Ed too many letters, what became of your model 1917 ?

Jeff,

Life got in the way. I was laid off right after I posted that, then one thing after another, and here we are, almost six and a half years later and the rifle is still in my gun safe, unaltered by me.

I have had several other rifle projects distract me, including the Ken Howell rifles, and just haven't finished what I was thinking about doing.

I do need to get the old girl out and exercise her. grin

Ed
Posted By: Owl Re: Advice on P-17 Action Build - 01/24/18
Funny how life does that to the best laid plans. Im in the same boat too, one or two unfinished projects.
It would be a cinch for you to turn that into a 300 H&H yourself. Get a P14 bolt and rent a 300 H&H reamer and buy or rent belted magnum head space guages. Although it would be much better to remove the barrel and have it chambered in a lathe, you can chamber it by hand with it on the action. Then you will have to work on the magazine a bit and get it feeding smoothly. M1917 and P14 Enfield barrels are very tightly threaded into the receivers and many have cracked the actions trying to remove the barrels. Most people turn the barrel down at the receiver to relieve the pressure to insure they don't crack the receiver ring. This ruins the barrel anyway. Do it by hand yourself and enjoy the whole procedure.

Ooops I didn't see there were 5 pages. I thought I was the last poster!
I have a Winchester 1917 in .300 H&H that I bought in a used rack for $100. Bolt had been opened up, feed rails worked over, military barrel rechambered, speed lock kit had been installed, and the magazine and trigger guard had the belly taken out. It cost me around another $300 to get a one piece scope base installed with a 2-7 power BL 3000 scope.

[Linked Image]

However, it beat the crap out of me in that configuration. So I picked up a cheap Richards Microfit stock for it, had some serious issues with the stock though. So I took it to Kevin Weaver to sort out and bed, and had him install a Timney trigger. I then swapped out the scope for a 2.5-8X36 VXIII, this brought my total investment to nearly $800.

[Linked Image]

It still isn't the prettiest or lightest rifle out there, but if the trigger God's are smiling on me to shoots pretty well.

[Linked Image]
.450 Rigby

grin
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
.450 Rigby

grin

Dat would overpenetrate yo wabbits.

DF
True,but Ed needs the "cool factor" if you know what I mean. grin
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
This is the one steelhead doesn't like. A 416 Rigby
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

That's one of the nicest rifles I've seen here. Thanks for posting... I do agree with MadMooner though about keeping the original safety. Thats one of the best features of the m1917. IMHO...
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
.450 Rigby

grin

Dat would overpenetrate yo wabbits.

DF

grin

I have Ken Howell's custom Mauser .458WM. How much more "cool factor" can there be?

Four digit Oberndorf Mauser action, Buhmiller barrel, Dalls Sheep grip cap from a ram Ken had killed in Alaska, stock laid out by Elmer Keith and carved by Iver Henriksen, custom "Sourdough" front sight & sight ramp, Redfield mod 70 Hunter aperture sight, and all assembled by Iver Henriksen.

'Nuff said... grin

Ed
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864

I have Ken Howell's custom Mauser .458WM. How much more "cool factor" can there be?

Four digit Oberndorf Mauser action, Buhmiller barrel, Dalls Sheep grip cap from a ram Ken had killed in Alaska, stock laid out by Elmer Keith and carved by Iver Henriksen, custom "Sourdough" front sight & sight ramp, Redfield mod 70 Hunter aperture sight, and all assembled by Iver Henriksen.

'Nuff said... grin

Ed

Pictures?

DF

'Nuff said... grin

Ed

I know,I've seen/handle that rifle.

Still,you need all the "cool factor" you can get. grin
APDDSN0864,

As far as a lot of us gun-NUTS are concerned, that rifle is at least as COOL as the BULLIT MUSTANG,

yours, tex
...Pictures? DF

I need to get butchlambert's photographer (my son grin) to take pictures to do it justice.

I could take pics with my phone, but I'm still struggling to get the hang of posting pics on this site since Rick put up the new system, even with significant help from other members here. blush frown

Ed
Originally Posted by satx78247
APDDSN0864,
As far as a lot of us gun-NUTS are concerned, that rifle is at least as COOL as the BULLIT MUSTANG,
yours, tex

The day Ken showed me that rifle, I picked it up and shouldered it. It fit me like a glove, almost as if it had been made to fit my physique, not Ken's. He was a much bigger man that I and it seemed incredible to me that it fit so well.

I convinced Ken to sell me the rifle and I then discovered what a joy it was to shoot. That stock makes the .458WM very easy to shoot, and it is very accurate, IF I remember to adjust the sights for the particular load I have in the chamber, but that's material for another story. blush

Ed
Ed,

Open an Imgur account. It's so much faster and easier than Photobucket ever was.

DF
Ed,

Open an Imgur account. It's so much faster and easier than Photobucket ever was.

DF

I did that, and even tried to get it to work earlier today. I can get the pics onto Imgur, then copy the URL and paste the URL in the menu box for posting an image using the Full Editor, but all that shows up is the URL, not the picture. I probably spent 30 minutes earlier today with three different Campfire tabs open, trying to get it to work.

I don't know what the Hell I'm doing wrong.

Ed
Go up to the top bar where it says "Edit" click on "Edit" then come here to the 'fire and click on the "Reply" box the click on "Edit" go to "Paste" click on "Paste" then review and then click on "Post Reply."

Be sure to click on BBCode on the pic you want copied on imgur.

[Linked Image]
Ed,

DF

I did that, and even tried to get it to work earlier today. I can get the pics onto Imgur, then copy the URL and paste the URL in the menu box for posting an image using the Full Editor, but all that shows up is the URL, not the picture. I probably spent 30 minutes earlier today with three different Campfire tabs open, trying to get it to work.

I don't know what the Hell I'm doing wrong.

Ed

Click on the image, it will highlight into a box. Click on the next to last classification listed to the right. Hit copy and post on the Fire. It should show as a picture, not just a link.
Ingwe loading his new Matchlock;

[Linked Image]

Hot Damn! It works! grin
Thank you, sir!

Ed
Posted By: ismith Re: Advice on P-17 Action Build - 01/28/18
I just picked up a well started Model 1917 action myself.
[Linked Image]
I had the ears cut of,bolt face opened up and chambered for 308NM and went to shooting, it was a hand loading proposition at that time .Have since given it to my Grandson.
Cheers NC
Go up to the top bar where it says "Edit" click on "Edit" then come here to the 'fire and click on the "Reply" box the click on "Edit" go to "Paste" click on "Paste" then review and then click on "Post Reply."

[Linked Image]

That's pretty much all I do. Except I just left click the BBCODE copy and then right click on the reply box and hit "paste". Pretty simple:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: 79S Re: Advice on P-17 Action Build - 01/28/18
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

[Linked Image]

That's pretty much all I do. Except I just left click the BBCODE copy and then right click on the reply box and hit "paste". Pretty simple:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Hey bud what is that on the end the barrel of your 1917?
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Hey bud what is that on the end the barrel of your 1917?

I bought it that way. The guy that built it, had a fascination with the m14 flash hider I guess... whistle.. I leave it on there, it's not hurting anything, but does look funny.. ha ha..
Posted By: 79S Re: Advice on P-17 Action Build - 01/29/18
Lol oh ok at first I thought someone put a boss system on it.
I'd would have taken a hacksaw to it, if that were the case. Ha ha
That’s a very cool 17 BSA. I’ve always wanted a 400 Whelen on one of them.
© 24hourcampfire