Home
Posted By: jryoung Mashburn Teaser - 02/05/13
Eddie just sent me some pics...ships tomorrow. I can't wait to get out to the range and confirm it is all it's cracked up to be. Eddie noted he said it feels like a want in your hand as balance is amazing.

Trued 700
Rock #2, 26"
McM EDGE, KS

Flutes are purple but the lighting is a little off. He said he was surprised the purple looks as good as it does and originally questioned my judgement....rightfully so, he certainly isn't the first
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: Dave93 Re: Mashburn Teaser - 02/05/13
Looking forward to seeing more of that. cool
Posted By: MShuntfish Re: Mashburn Teaser - 02/05/13
Gonna be funky. Looking forward to pics of the rig all up.
Posted By: KDK Re: Mashburn Teaser - 02/05/13
OK, I need to kick myself in the butt to find a donor for a Mashburn...
Posted By: Mark R Dobrenski Re: Mashburn Teaser - 02/05/13
Oh...baby, this is gonna be fun... cool

My reamer just got back from Idaho. Just in time I spoke with Brux today and my new tube is gonna ship on the 14th...grin

Dober
How are you gonna scope it? And I can't recall but I spose you have dies and virgin cases right?

Thx
Dober
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Mashburn Teaser - 02/05/13
Originally Posted by jryoung
.....balance is amazing.

Rock #2, 26"

wink smile

Nice rig! cool
Bob-any idea how many Mashburns there are running around the land these days?

Dober
Posted By: jryoung Re: Mashburn Teaser - 02/05/13
I've got a VX3 4.5-14x40 CDS, I may swap it out for a 3.5-10x40 CDS, though I'm really liking my VX3 2.5-8x36 with M1.
I've had a 4-14 on my Mashburn #1 rifle for a long time, Mashburn #2 has worn a 2-8 quite a bit and a 3-10.

My wife has fits with the 4-14 so I tend to gravitate to the 3-10 so she can use it a bit. Not sure if you'll have anyone else using but that's worth a thunk just in case.

R you coming to Montana this spring or summer or fall for elks?

Dober
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Mashburn Teaser - 02/05/13
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Bob-any idea how many Mashburns there are running around the land these days?

Dober
Dober I used to remember but lost count some time last year... smile
Posted By: jryoung Re: Mashburn Teaser - 02/05/13

R you coming to Montana this spring or summer or fall for elks?

Dober

Ungulates fo'sho! Ursus...being negotiated with the CFO.
Posted By: Mark R Dobrenski Re: Mashburn Teaser - 02/06/13
JR-don't spose my vote would carry any weight with her would it...grin

Give me a call this week if you've got a minute.

Dober
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Mashburn Teaser - 02/06/13
Originally Posted by KDK

You've been thinking about this too long. When you get that reamer, I might just have to borrow it.... grin

Originally Posted by KDK
If you don't mind me asking, what does one have to pay for a PTG reamer?
BSA-let me know when you need it and I'll bounce it your way.

Heavy hint here, order your dies now!

Dober
Originally Posted by KDK

Would this 7mm rem mag work as a donor?:...

[Linked Image]

It shoots pretty good as a 7mm rem mag though.... blush:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/002-57.jpg[/img]

It shoots minute of orange........dot... wink

OOPS, left out one of my first 5 shot groups with the ol girl:
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/003-50.jpg[/img]
BSA-let me know when you need it and I'll bounce it your way.

Heavy hint here, order your dies now!

Dober

Hey Mark, I'd love to join the club. Will my 7mm rem mag work as a good donor (see pics in my last post)....Thanks buddy..
Is a frogs azz water tight...? Meaning yeah it'd be a great donor!

Get to it my man! As one of my best friends says don't let anything but fear and a bit of common sense hold you back...grin

Dober
Posted By: KDK Re: Mashburn Teaser - 02/06/13
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by KDK

Would this 7mm rem mag work as a donor?:...

[Linked Image]

You suck!
Eddie just sent me some pics...ships tomorrow. I can't wait to get out to the range and confirm it is all it's cracked up to be. Eddie noted he said it feels like a want in your hand as balance is amazing.

Trued 700
Rock #2, 26"
McM EDGE, KS

Flutes are purple but the lighting is a little off. He said he was surprised the purple looks as good as it does and originally questioned my judgement....rightfully so, he certainly isn't the first
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I have to say, that thing has cool written all over it. Veddy nice!!! Can't wait to see more pics and to hear how she shoots....
Allright from what I can gather (from my 3 minutes of research):

http://24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/5434483/1

I'd need 300 win mag cases to resize into 7mm mashburn cases. Looks like you can send them thru the RCBS full length sizing die and then fireform. You get about 150 fps over the 7mm rem mag in velocities. Does anyone have a drawing of the 7mm mashburn cartridge so I will have a better idea of what I'm looking at? Thanks guys....Oh by the way I don't like the 300 win mag but have tons of brass and maybe 1 rifle I may get rid of. Sounds like I may be killing more than 2 birds with one stone by going to the mashburn. Am I right??
Originally Posted by KDK

K, you have so many rifles. I'm having a hard time believing you don't have a donor for a 7mm mashburn....See you shouldn't have bought so many 270's and called them donors.... whistle...I may have a good shooting ruger tang safety m77 that would make a great donor. It's a 300 winny though...It would make a great 308 Norma mag donor as well....Wait, maybe I should hang on to it... eek whistle
Posted By: jryoung Re: Mashburn Teaser - 02/06/13
Allright from what I can gather (from my 3 minutes of research):

http://24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/5434483/1

I'd need 300 win mag cases to resize into 7mm mashburn cases. Looks like you can send them thru the RCBS full length sizing die and then fireform. You get about 150 fps over the 7mm rem mag in velocities. Does anyone have a drawing of the 7mm mashburn cartridge so I will have a better idea of what I'm looking at? Thanks guys....Oh by the way I don't like the 300 win mag but have tons of brass and maybe 1 rifle I may get rid of. Sounds like I may be killing more than 2 birds with one stone by going to the mashburn. Am I right??

The 300WM case is awesome when it's necked to .284...and actually has a neck.

Think how awesome that donor will be when those amaxs are running 3,100-3,200fps. smile

Here's the details on the case.

[Linked Image]

Thanks Jr, exactly what I was looking for. You're right, "3100-3200" with the A-max would be the chit....One heck of a long range rig....
Posted By: KDK Re: Mashburn Teaser - 02/06/13
I may have a good shooting ruger tang safety m77 that would make a great donor. It's a 300 winny though...It would make a great 308 Norma mag donor as well....Wait, maybe I should hang on to it... eek whistle

Nah, man, build the Norma, then invite me over to try it out. I can find a 7 Mag 700 pretty easily.

And the excess rifles are probably going to have to go to fund the divorce...
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Mashburn Teaser - 02/06/13
jr: That rifle is a gonna be slick! wink And yes, it will do what everyone on here says it does,which is about 100-150 fps more with ny given bullet weight than the 7RM...however what I have noticed about the cartridge is that everyone who builds one seems to end up about the same place velocity wise with similar bullets.

Can't speak to 26" barrels as all I have worked with have 24".My last chrongraph session with it back in October had the 160Nosler Partition at 3180 and the 162 Amax at 3160,both with 75 gr of H1000.75.5 will put either bullet over 3200 fps.

bsa: That M70 will work just fine, and you can either leave the magazine as is and run your cartridges to 30/06 length, or swap out magazine parts for H&H and seat bullets longer if you want.Yes you can form cases with just the FL dies and Redding did this when we ordered the the dies from Redding...I am pretty sure that my dies and Bro's were the first set of Mashburn dies that Redding made;both our rifles used Dober's reamer.But this is a wildcat, and a guy will no doubt run into very minor tolerance differences rifle to rifle,and I find that I like forming cases using the Form/Trim die set from RCBS which works very well.I loked on Midway recently and they are available via special order.

Dober got another PM on a Mashburn build yesterday (from a poster everyone on here knows grin ) This guy is VERY knowledgeable,and had the spare parts for one hanging around...actions, barrels, everything....LOL! I won't say who it is ...he will tell his own story.

Can't tell how many guys have just taken a stock Rem 700 in 7RM and just run a reamer through them,and had at it.This is a very simple conversion that needs next to nothing other than rechambering.One fellow who used to post here,did a Rem conversion to Mashburn;he texted a pic of a desert big horn ram he killed with his last month.

Some say the Mashburn is not "worth it"...and I suppose they are right.If you want to be logical about it, I guess the same could be said about the 280AI..the Mashburn is at least as worthy as a conversion to 280AI,and if one is worthwhile, the other certainly is... whistle

But if there is a "problem" with 175gr-180gr bullets at app.3050-3100fps,160's at 3150-3250fps,or 150's at almost 3300, I'm afraid I don't know what it is....I do know that since I built mine, my desire for another BG rifle has sort of fallen into a sink hole. frown

KDK: Time to sweep the safe,cull the herd, and step on the gas... wink whistle
Posted By: Tanner Re: Mashburn Teaser - 02/06/13
Dang... My 7 RM would look good in Mashburn.

Dober, you got extra dies? laugh
Originally Posted by Tanner

Indeed it would.... cool grin

Mashburn is the (old) new black.

Dober, you got extra dies? laugh

I have an extra set that I use as a loaner set, you could use them till yours come in... smile

Plus my 700 will be heading to Dr Dan along with the reamer in a month or so. He could punch yours at the same time...

Dober
Posted By: Tanner Re: Mashburn Teaser - 02/06/13
I saw the Dr. yesterday dropping off my 243 AI project, should have just given him my 7 too.
Next time you find some virgin 300 wm cases buy them. You'll be needing them...grin

Dober
moar teasin'

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Muy bueno

Dober
Posted By: xzqvvh Re: Mashburn Teaser - 02/06/13
Wow, that is a very fine rifle. It looks like it will be a blast to shoot. If you can get some H1000 you should try it with some 160 gr bullets and the 162 gr Hornady. My gun smith has my 7mm Mashburn, he is letting out the throat on it and is re chambering my custom stocked 700 Rem to 7mm Mashburn also. Good luck! Randy
Posted By: Snipebander Re: Mashburn Teaser - 02/06/13
The Hornady book shows loads for the 7 MM Roy of 76 grains RL-25 and H1000 with 175's at 3100. My latest Mashburn, a rechambered 7 Rem, works with both those loads. 175 Sierra with 75 gr. H1000 chronod at 3065. Lot's to like about that.
I'm hoping it likes the Barnes 168LRX (or the 145LRX or 150TTSX) since I'm in CA. Surely it will be fun to experiment with. I've got 2 rifles to develop loads for now, and a third (260) that I'm going to have built soon so I'll be pleading with the wife for range time.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Mashburn Teaser - 02/06/13
Any idea what she weighs?

On the brass forming, I'd agree with Bob, the Form/Trim die set worked best for me. With the Form/Trim set, you neck down and bump the shoulder back in a two-step process instead of a one-step process as with the FL die. I tried forming with RCBS FL dies and it didn't work as well for me. Of course, that doesn't mean it won't work for you, but if it doesn't, the Form/Trim set would be the next thing to try.
jr: That's looking pretty slick! wink
Posted By: bearstalker Re: Mashburn Teaser - 02/07/13
Very nice rifle. Digging that all black look. Some 140gr TTSX bullets at warp 9 would just not be fair to anything with fur.
Posted By: jryoung Re: Mashburn Teaser - 02/13/13
Originally Posted by smokepole
Any idea what she weighs?

I'm in love (4 rounds of 7RM with 160gr pills)

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Tanner Re: Mashburn Teaser - 02/13/13
Should come in a bit over 7.5 scoped, then? That's an awesome rifle.
Posted By: jryoung Re: Mashburn Teaser - 02/13/13
Scope is 15oz. IIRC, toss in 4 more rounds on the stock and talleys and I should be looking at a skosh under 8 ready to kill.
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Mashburn Teaser - 02/13/13
jr: Veddy nice....mine is at 7 pounds 9 oz with 6X Leupold on board.

Bet it shoots wink Got dies?
Posted By: efw Re: Mashburn Teaser - 02/13/13
Great cartridge choice there; I like the purple highlight as well!

Lookin forward to seeing the results; I am sure they'll be fantastic!
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Mashburn Teaser - 02/16/13
Bump!

Has JR shot this rifle yet? confused smile
Posted By: 79inpa Re: Mashburn Teaser - 02/21/13
hmm...
Posted By: LeroyJenkins Re: Mashburn Teaser - 02/21/13
Sweet looking! The purple looks sick against all the black.

Just out of curiosity, aren't you worried that with a slip/fall you might break your bolt?
Posted By: EricM Re: Mashburn Teaser - 02/21/13
That purple is a bold statement!!
Posted By: jryoung Re: Mashburn Teaser - 02/21/13
Has JR shot this rifle yet?

Nope, but I'm ready to, does that count? Headed out of town this weekend. So maybe next Tuesday when the range is open until 9pm.

Just out of curiosity, aren't you worried that with a slip/fall you might break your bolt?

Nope, obviously chit can happen, but if it does I'll just find someone to fix it or get a new one.
Posted By: rosco1 Re: Mashburn Teaser - 02/21/13
Nice rifle jr..FWIW I became a fan of the 145LRX this last year..I shoot them at 3350fps,24" tubed 7wby..no doubt you could kick it up passed 3400 if you wanted.

They hammer chit smile
Posted By: jryoung Re: Mashburn Teaser - 02/21/13
The 145 will be getting a serious look when I start to put loads together. The 145 pushing 3,400 or the 168 just under 3,200 should be no friend to any members of the Cervidae or Ursidae families.
Posted By: 300stw Re: Mashburn Teaser - 03/05/13
wondering if ya got an update JR
Posted By: bearstalker Re: Mashburn Teaser - 03/05/13
Me too. Let's see a picture of the rifle 'all-up' and how is it shooting?
Posted By: jryoung Re: Mashburn Teaser - 03/05/13
My landscapers went native on me and gave me a $25K bill on an $11k quote, my toddler is full of piss and vinegar (like his mother), and work is never ending it's like all these different Government Agencies want their tax money or something.....Oh you were talking about my new safe queen smile

I have my FF loads, I just haven't had the time. I'm hoping next Tuesday night I can get out and shoot some FF loads. I swear every morning when my wife opens the safe to pull out her jewelry I hear the door creak and say "shoot me, shoot me please you dolt".
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Mashburn Teaser - 03/06/13
My landscapers went native on me and gave me a $25K bill on an $11k quote, my toddler is full of piss and vinegar (like his mother), and work is never ending it's like all these different Government Agencies want their tax money or something.....Oh you were talking about my new safe queen smile

I have my FF loads, I just haven't had the time. I'm hoping next Tuesday night I can get out and shoot some FF loads. I swear every morning when my wife opens the safe to pull out her jewelry I hear the door creak and say "shoot me, shoot me please you dolt".

jr: It really isn't fair that all these trifling distractions leave us waiting with bated breath....the CF demands satisfaction.... grin

Seriously let us know when you have the opportunity.Range time is a hard-won commodity. cry
Posted By: 300stw Re: Mashburn Teaser - 03/06/13
i have lots of time and a 1200 yd range , i can shoot her for ya for a while,,,

Posted By: jryoung Re: Mashburn Teaser - 03/09/13
First 6 out of the barrel, 100yds, skinny tube, fire form loads....it shouldn't group like this right?
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Mark R Dobrenski Re: Mashburn Teaser - 03/09/13
4350, 139 Horns and sub 1" groups who'd of thunk it. Rather predictable really...grin (3180-3220 fps?)

Looking good

Dober
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Mashburn Teaser - 03/10/13
jr: Looking normal to me so far with the FF load...that's about what I got.

I bet she will tighten up with top end loads.

If you have them, try Dobers 150BT or 162 Amax.

Dober last time I checked the FF load it was at 3190...about 3150 in the dead of winter.
Posted By: jryoung Re: Mashburn Teaser - 03/10/13
I didn't pull out the chrono yesterday but hope to next weekend when I keep going. I sent these pics to Eddief and he was suprised that a FF shot this well.
Posted By: eddief Re: Mashburn Teaser - 03/10/13
A 26" long, #2 contour barrel that shoots really good is a thing to behold, period.

All I can do is chamber, true and assemble to benchrest standards and give it the best bedding job possible. The rest is up to the barrel itself and the shooter.

I'm glad this one went to a good shooter:)

Heck, I almost want one myself now...guess I'll have to bug you guys for some loads if I do.
Posted By: Mark R Dobrenski Re: Mashburn Teaser - 03/10/13
JR-to date, I've not seen a Mash barrel that wouldn't bug hole with the 139 Horn flat base and 4350 load. It's a heck of a load and has long been my go to FF load.

It's got more than enough gas to do most all we do as well.

Dober
Posted By: Mark R Dobrenski Re: Mashburn Teaser - 03/10/13
Who knows,one of these days you may even get an invite to the "Dober Dawg Invitational" bear hunt for members of the Smashburn Society... cool

Dober
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Mashburn Teaser - 03/11/13
Originally Posted by eddief
A 26" long, #2 contour barrel that shoots really good is a thing to behold, period.

All I can do is chamber, true and assemble to benchrest standards and give it the best bedding job possible. The rest is up to the barrel itself and the shooter.

My smith in New Hampshire says the same thing... grin "They ain't supposed to shot like that!"(He's a match shooter).I tell him...."Well, you installed it! Why wouldn't it!?" smile

Myself, I hit on using a #2 or something close back in the early 80's when Butch Searcy built me a 7mm magnum and I told him this was a hunting rifle,and I had to carry this thing in elk and mule deer country up to 10,000 feet and did not want a heavy rifle.I had to send the rifle back twice before I called Butch and said...."What I want,is a 270 type contour at 24"'s".

Butch finally "got it" and the little rifle weighed 7.5 pounds scoped and grouped super. Barrel was a Krieger,and I have never had a 7 mag with a heavier contour since.I find a good quality cut rifle tube, stressed relieved,works somewhat better in general than a button barrel,but have had good Douglas tubes as well.

For me,a #2 Krieger is SOP for a 7RM or Mashburn.
Posted By: jryoung Re: Mashburn Teaser - 03/11/13
Oohhh, that sounds like fun so long as the neophyte initiation isn't too brutal. I need to get my "bruin ruin" on and commence a copper feeding program.
Posted By: 300stw Re: Mashburn Teaser - 03/11/13

BY Gosh, if all we got to do is build a mashburn to hunt with the great bear guide,,,,im gonna build two,,,

i got a #3 brux on the way be here next week,,, got it from bugholes, he had them in stock,,,,

Who knows,one of these days you may even get an invite to the "Dober Dawg Invitational" bear hunt for members of the Smashburn Society... cool

Dober
Posted By: Kaleb Re: Mashburn Teaser - 03/11/13
Originally Posted by 300stw

BY Gosh, if all we got to do is build a mashburn to hunt with the great bear guide,,,,im gonna build two,,,

i got a #3 brux on the way be here next week,,, got it from bugholes, he had them in stock,,,,

Dober

Lol...me too
Posted By: jryoung Re: Mashburn Teaser - 03/11/13
300stw - did you get a reamer?
Posted By: 300stw Re: Mashburn Teaser - 03/11/13
Not yet
© 24hourcampfire