Posted By: ctsmith Beanland Light 308 - 10/28/14
Stiller Predator
Shilen Trigger
PTG BDL aluminum bottom metal
EH3
Hart #3 @ 22" 11 twist
Talley LW
NF 2.5-10x42 MILR

Weight including rings and scope is 7lbs 13oz. Bare rifle is 6lbs 6oz.

UPS delivered yesterday. Didn't get home until late but lapped the rings and mounted the scope before bed. Got the first 11 shots in this morning before work. 1st was the bore sight and 10 in the group (.94"). This is a generic load of 155 Scenar and RL 15. I've taken no measurements what so ever, only checked a polished bullet to make sure it wasn't into the lands. Wonder what will happen with a little barrel break in and load development?

308's are cheating!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: MShuntfish Re: Beanland Light 308 - 10/28/14
I can answer that. It'll shoot better and better. Kill everything you point it at. And shoot and kill with the same precision and lethality for about a million rounds.

Great build.

Defiance just delivered John my action for a 6.5 SAUM. Swell guy, that Mr. Beanland.
Posted By: JPro Re: Beanland Light 308 - 10/28/14
Sold! I'll take it! grin

That looks like a very well put-together and useful rifle.

Posted By: GregW Re: Beanland Light 308 - 10/28/14
Very nice rifle bud -
Posted By: mathman Re: Beanland Light 308 - 10/28/14
What chamber did you use?
Posted By: ctsmith Re: Beanland Light 308 - 10/28/14
There is no bedding forward of the lug so that barrels can easily be exchanged. The barrel channel in the stock was cut a contour larger than the Hart #3. Doubt I will ever go heavier but the option is there.
Posted By: JPro Re: Beanland Light 308 - 10/28/14
I really like Manners' camo schemes. That gray/black one even matches your custom rear sandbag....
mathman,

.342 nk, 88FB 1 deg 30
Nice.

Is the freebore diameter tightened a bit as well? SAAMI is loosey goosey.
JPro, you like the bag? I'll PM you the classified DIY instructions.
Posted By: SKane Re: Beanland Light 308 - 10/28/14
Hard not to like that one!
mathman,

I'm not sure of SAAMI freebore but know that the .088 is between SAAMI and Palma. I think Palma runs about .070 give or take.
Posted By: Oregonmuley Re: Beanland Light 308 - 10/28/14
Congrats - that is about the perfect all around rig! And since Jon put it all together you know it will be a shooter!! Great fellow to deal with, he's done 2 7MM-08's for me and both have been awesome, sadly I sold one.

Sure am liking those EH3 stocks, great choice!
Originally Posted by ctsmith
mathman,

I'm not sure of SAAMI freebore but know that the .088 is between SAAMI and Palma. I think Palma runs about .070 give or take.

I've got it on the length. It's the diameter I'm interested in.

SAAMI: http://saami.org/PubResources/CC_Drawings/Rifle/308%20Winchester.pdf

The freebore section is .310" in diameter.

Notice the .3083" freebore on this one:

Attached picture 308+Match_Tac.jpg
I am with you now. I didn't get the diameter and don't remember whose reamer he used to look it up.
Since it's a .342" neck with a shortened freebore, it'll probably be tightened from the .310" figure too.

I really like the rifle you've got there, and I bet you can even shrink that ten shot result when you get to tuning loads for it.

For pure accuracy potential evaluation purposes, try some IMR3031 under a 168 grain match bullet of some sort. It's old school, but it's shot very well in over a dozen 308's so far. In a Remington 40X I've managed a ten shot, half MOA group with the combination.
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Beanland Light 308 - 10/28/14
Very nice!
Posted By: hillbillybear Re: Beanland Light 308 - 10/28/14
Very Nice Rig.
Posted By: 257heaven Re: Beanland Light 308 - 10/28/14
Very nice build. I'm still intrigued by Beanland. Want one!

Posted By: RichardAustin Re: Beanland Light 308 - 10/28/14
Your rifle looks great, but the bean field looks a little neglected.
Originally Posted by RichardAustin
Your rifle looks great, but the bean field looks a little neglected.

RoundUp twice a year has that effect.
Posted By: Huntr Re: Beanland Light 308 - 10/28/14
Congrats on a fine rifle. My GAP 308 simply amazes me every time I shoot it.
Posted By: 2muchgun Re: Beanland Light 308 - 10/28/14
Very nice....
Posted By: slg888 Re: Beanland Light 308 - 10/28/14
Fantastic build, you'll enjoy that one.
Posted By: 7_08FAN Re: Beanland Light 308 - 10/28/14
nice rifle Roads.....I like those stocks....
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: Beanland Light 308 - 10/29/14
Nice rig.
Posted By: Hondo64d Re: Beanland Light 308 - 10/29/14
Clint,

You are the David Allen Coe of rifles. You have created the perfect do it all rifle! grin

Dibbs when you go to sell it!

John
Posted By: Gledeasy Re: Beanland Light 308 - 10/29/14
About as perfect as they come right there!!!
Posted By: ctsmith Re: Beanland Light 308 - 10/29/14
John, dont hold your breath on this one. Its the rare occasion when a project turns out better than envisioned. Can't imagine a more sound package under 8lbs.
Posted By: Canazes9 Re: Beanland Light 308 - 10/29/14
Originally Posted by Hondo64d
Clint,

You are the David Allen Coe of rifles. You have created the perfect do it all rifle! grin

Dibbs when you go to sell it!

John

Technically, that would make him Steve Goodman, not David Allen Coe....

Nice Rifle....

David
Posted By: blackblue Re: Beanland Light 308 - 10/29/14
Not sure I would want to be called David Allan Coe, the guy is a ass putting it nicely.
Posted By: pointer Re: Beanland Light 308 - 10/29/14
I like that alot! One of those in 260 would be VERY welcome in my home. Well done!
Posted By: Ackleyman Re: Beanland Light 308 - 10/30/14
Dang CT that is a beautiful rifle. We must have similar taste in rifles. I sent my Stiller Predator action to Hart 2 months ago to have a #3 23" 11 twist barrel screwed on. Now I know what it's going to look like when I get it back. I have a Micky Edge stock and PTG bottom metal waiting. Still thinking about the trigger. If mine shoots as good as your's, I'll be happy. Thanks for posting.
Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: Beanland Light 308 - 10/30/14
Super nice build, how are you liking that scope?
Posted By: ctsmith Re: Beanland Light 308 - 11/10/14
Since this rifle didn't seem too fussy I let the Montana project, along with lots of archery, take precedence over the Beanland. This morning I decided to give 168 BT's a go. I've a feeling I'm on to something. This little rig sure isn't picky.

44.7 grains of RL15 wasn't a scientific selection. I was shooting for 44.5 but after a few spins on the MVA micrometer it landed on 44.7 so I rolled with it.

Thats a five shot group.

[Linked Image]
Ackley, I love everything about the scope except the fine reticle, but its growing on me too. Its not what I'd choose stalking through the timber but thats not what it was designed to do.
Posted By: JPro Re: Beanland Light 308 - 11/10/14
That bullet at that speed and that level of accuracy is a nice combo. The 168BT is a good killer on deer and hogs. The raggedy hole is certainly a good sign!

By the way, where did you get the printable target like that? Looks like a good one to use for load testing.
J, I made the target in excel. I play with the thickness depending on reticle size. Print it on card stock and you're good to go.
Posted By: JPro Re: Beanland Light 308 - 11/10/14
I got you. Will certainly have to play with that. Thanks!
PM me your email address and I'll email you the file as a starting point. Believe me, its nothing scientific. I basically change it around on an as needed bases, though I have been better lately of trying to save the different sizes.
Posted By: JPro Re: Beanland Light 308 - 11/11/14
I appreciate it, but I already whipped one up while I was offline. You are right, it was easy to tinker with.
Posted By: mathman Re: Beanland Light 308 - 11/11/14
J, I made the target in excel. I play with the thickness depending on reticle size. Print it on card stock and you're good to go.

Superimpose a mil or moa grid according to the type of adjustments you're using and it makes zeroing super easy. Like you, I use "big plus sign" targets scaled to reticle/distance/magnification to good effect.
Posted By: ctsmith Re: Beanland Light 308 - 11/11/14
On another note, I'm going to put at least 5 more on paper to test the load but darn it I want more speed. I'll have to increase pressure and see what happens.
I've got to say, this is hard to believe. This is the same target as pictured above but with five more shots in it that were fired this morning. Thats a total of 10 shots. I can barely make out any change in the group.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Carl_Ross Re: Beanland Light 308 - 11/11/14
Always nice to see that! That's stupid tight...
Posted By: gene270 Re: Beanland Light 308 - 11/11/14
yepper.....you dont hear much about hart barrels anymore on this forum but they can still hold their own even if it is a .308
Posted By: mathman Re: Beanland Light 308 - 11/11/14

I've got to say, this is hard to believe. This is the same target as pictured above but with five more shots in it that were shot this morning. Thats a total of 10 shots. I can barely make out any change in the group.

[Linked Image]

Hey Savage_99! Pay attention here! grin
Posted By: TC1 Re: Beanland Light 308 - 11/11/14
I like that! Very nice rifle.
Thanks guys. The rig is producing!

Here's a 350 yard group fired later this morning. Didn't measure it precisely but its not far from half MOA.

Elevation was a few clicks off. The bench / chrono is in the shade and is never very accurate but it gets me in the ballpark. I'm guessing velocity is actually around 2720. Its shooting too good to screw with. I'll leave it at that.

[Linked Image]

Buddy, you are officially ahead. Quit.

Super rifle there.
Talus, I hear you. I'm done.

Here are a few notes for those interested. Seating depth does matter and contrary to campfire lore "kissing" and rocking on isn't always the answer.

I tried three seating depths; .003 into the lands, .015 off, .040 off. The further away the better it got.

.040 off is the groups above.

.015 off is the pic below.

[Linked Image]

.003 into the lands (kissing) is the pic below.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: Beanland Light 308 - 11/12/14
Clint it's definatley a shooter, and I agree I've always had better groups off the lands than in!
Posted By: irfubar Re: Beanland Light 308 - 11/12/14
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
Clint it's definatley a shooter, and I agree I've always had better groups off the lands than in!

How can that be? Big Stick say's otherwise! crazy
Nice build, fantastic groups, that is a fine rifle, ctsmith, you did good. wink
Posted By: rc82bttb Re: Beanland Light 308 - 11/12/14
Awesome rifle. Curious how you like the action? I'm thinking of ordering one myself.
Posted By: coleridge Re: Beanland Light 308 - 11/12/14
I've got to say, this is hard to believe. This is the same target as pictured above but with five more shots in it that were fired this morning. Thats a total of 10 shots. I can barely make out any change in the group.

[Linked Image]

I think the only answer is your scope broke & you missed 6 feet left grin

Super build & damn fine shooting for that frame rifle!!!
Posted By: ctsmith Re: Beanland Light 308 - 11/12/14
Thanks!

RC, I am not an action snob and never had a reason to dislike the Stiller. Honestly I couldn't go into details of the differences between one custom action to another. I just know what has and has not worked for me. I've had some of the preferred actions listed in a recent thread in this forum and had issues with the tight tolerances and the bolt being sticky when exposed to the elements. I'll take the more liberal bolt tolerances on the Stiller.

I try to steer clear of a Rem 700. I've had all the following problems and to me its not worth the potential of having to deal with it.

* Scope base holes not properly aligned causing ring alignment issues

* Front or rear action height out spec causing ring alignment issues.

* Bolt cam not timed properly causing no primary extraction and failure to extract

* Firing pin hole required bushing

* Bolt handle fell off

Until I have reason to change I will roll with the Stiller.

Posted By: 65BR Re: Beanland Light 308 - 11/12/14
Very nice shooting!
Posted By: ctsmith Re: Beanland Light 308 - 12/02/14
[Linked Image]
Posted By: 65BR Re: Beanland Light 308 - 12/03/14
Great looking and performing package. Really like the color combo and am thinking hard on the EH-4 for my 20" 6.5L
Posted By: Holston Re: Beanland Light 308 - 12/03/14
I like this rifle more every time I open this thread.
Posted By: keith5579 Re: Beanland Light 308 - 12/03/14
Originally Posted by Holston
I like this rifle more every time I open this thread.

Me too. Nice rifle.
Posted By: ctsmith Re: Beanland Light 308 - 03/19/15
Got the itch to chamber up a 6mmx47 barrel for this rig. Dual threat!
Posted By: Hondo64d Re: Beanland Light 308 - 03/20/15
I KNEW you wouldn't be able to resist!

John
Posted By: Okbow87 Re: Beanland Light 308 - 03/20/15
Are we talking 6x47 lapua here? If so… Beanland has the mojo in that department as well.
Posted By: ctsmith Re: Beanland Light 308 - 03/20/15
6x47 Lapua, confirmed. Yes, Beanland will do it. Trying to decide on whose barrel to use. The current Hart 308 is performing. Considering their quick delivery times I'm leaning that direction.
© 24hourcampfire