Home
Posted By: Otter6 Turkish mauser? - 04/09/18
What can I build on a Turkish large ring,with a small bore?
Posted By: irfubar Re: Turkish mauser? - 04/09/18
Otter6,

You can build anything you want as long as it fits in the 3.300 magazine box. Even then with extensive work you could modify it for a 375H&H cartridge lenght.

The small shank barrel threads are no deterrent One of the advantages to the small shank makes it easy to re-purpose barrels for it.

I used a Ruger M77 30-06 barrel on a Turk, the gunsmith turned the shank down and it worked fine. It was a low budget gun and turned out great, I also used a Boyds walnut stock.

I am currently building a 338-06 on a Turk, another budget gun using left over parts I have.

With the Turk it shares the common 98 parts, build away and enjoy
Posted By: Otter6 Re: Turkish mauser? - 04/09/18
Thanks for the insight. A co-worker has an action for sale,and I was curious what it would be good for. He's asking $160 for it. Action and bottom metal. How is the price?
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: Turkish mauser? - 04/09/18
When you factor a barrel, d/t for scope mount, safety and trigger you can buy a new rifle that will be less expensive and lighter weight. Unless you want to build a 7X57 or 8X57 you'll have aditional $ into new bottom metal.

I've done a couple of sporterized '98's, now I know better.
Posted By: irfubar Re: Turkish mauser? - 04/09/18
$160.00 is top dollar for a Turk, as 458 Lott says if you want to save money starting with a military Mauser is not the way to go. But if you can do most of the work yourself it is a worthwhile and fun project.

You will need to weld or forge the bolt handle, drill & tap if you want a scope. Replace the safety.

Now if you build an iron sight gun you wont need to change the safety and forging the bolt as opposes to cutting and welding a new bolt is practical.

My last Turk I drilled& tapped, installed a Timney safety and trigger, as mentioned before I had the smith install a Ruger 30-06 stainless take off barrel that cost $50.00 + install.

I used Brownells ceramic spray coating. The Boyds stock was just over $100.00. A friend loved the gun after borrowing it from me and made me an offer I couldn't refuse.

My latest Turk is going to be an iron sight 338-06, I have a ER Shaw barrel ordered, it will go in a laminate Richards micro fit left over from years ago.
I will Cerakote it. It is going to be a camping, spare , foul weather rifle...... It will ride behind the seat of my truck, in saddle scabbards, strapped to the raft frame etc....

If Shaw ever delivers my barrel I will put it together and post pic's. I know Big Stick loves Mausers and loves to look at them and comment on them ..... smile
Posted By: vapodog Re: Turkish mauser? - 04/09/18
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
When you factor a barrel, d/t for scope mount, safety and trigger you can buy a new rifle that will be less expensive and lighter weight. Unless you want to build a 7X57 or 8X57 you'll have aditional $ into new bottom metal.

I've done a couple of sporterized '98's, now I know better.

precisely and worse yet....when it's all done, you'll still have a Turkish Mauser.....

I've bult way too many guns from military Mausers....in recent years i'st M-70 almost exclusively. It simply cost less to use one of them for a starter action and often times the barrel can be salvaged as well.
Posted By: CowboyTim Re: Turkish mauser? - 04/09/18
Originally Posted by Otter6
What can I build on a Turkish large ring,with a small bore?

Would make a damn fine 8x57.
Posted By: Otter6 Re: Turkish mauser? - 04/09/18
You all have pretty much confirmed all my suspicions. I was just kicking it around in my head. I've worked as a machinist,welder / fabricator for years. The mods would have been tinker work,but the cost was wearing on my better judgement. The 7X57 , 8X57, maybe 358 Win in an open sight format would be fun,but I have little use for one. Maybe I should take a pass on the Turk.
Posted By: TC1 Re: Turkish mauser? - 04/09/18
JC Higgins M50 .270

Just an alternative. You'll be way ahead and have a nice Mauser actioned rifle.
Posted By: drover Re: Turkish mauser? - 04/10/18
I have never seen a JC Higgins M50 like that - it has a 3 position safety and the bolt handle is military style. I have owned a half-dozen of them and mine had the up-down 2-position safety on the left side of the bolt shroud and the bolt handles were nicely swept back and were flat on the bottom.
I wonder is this is not a parts gun, or if it any early version of the M50.

drover
Posted By: LEADMINER Re: Turkish mauser? - 04/10/18
Looks to be a Higgins 50 barreled action and stock but with a military bolt.
Posted By: Craigster Re: Turkish mauser? - 04/10/18
Originally Posted by LEADMINER
Looks to be a Higgins 50 barreled action and stock but with a military bolt.

I would agree.
Posted By: CowboyTim Re: Turkish mauser? - 04/10/18
Originally Posted by drover
I have never seen a JC Higgins M50 like that - it has a 3 position safety and the bolt handle is military style. I have owned a half-dozen of them and mine had the up-down 2-position safety on the left side of the bolt shroud and the bolt handles were nicely swept back and were flat on the bottom.
I wonder is this is not a parts gun, or if it any early version of the M50.

drover

That's because that bolt is out of a K98(or similar military Mauser). That isn't the bolt that came in ANY new Higgins.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Turkish mauser? - 04/11/18
Saw that one myself. Had to laugh. I suspect the original bolt was lost and Bubba bought one from a parts seller.

Question I have is if the seller knows what he's selling? If so, his Mama must be proud!
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Turkish mauser? - 04/11/18
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Saw that one myself. Had to laugh. I suspect the original bolt was lost and Bubba bought one from a parts seller.

Question I have is if the seller knows what he's selling? If so, his Mama must be proud!

Wonder what the headspace is like, a 98 militay bolt dropped in an FN commercial action...

DF
Posted By: CowboyTim Re: Turkish mauser? - 04/11/18
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

Wonder what the headspace is like, a 98 militay bolt dropped in an FN commercial action...

DF

PROBABLY alright, but not always. I've swapped bolts before, but not without a set of headspace gauges handy.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Turkish mauser? - 04/11/18
Originally Posted by CowboyTim
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

DF

PROBABLY alright, but not always. I've swapped bolts before, but not without a set of headspace gauges handy.

Not something I'd buy, sight unseen...

Could be a "pig in the poke"...

That military bolt will take some expense to convert to sporting configuration.

I'd be embarrassed to offer such a gun...

Just me.

DF
Posted By: greydog Re: Turkish mauser? - 04/11/18
I have a couple of Turks and have built a couple dozen rifles on them over the years. I bought them for about thirteen dollars each. I have barrelled them for everything from 22/250 to 8mm Rem Mag(used two actions for that one) and all worked out well. I have machined the receiver to small ring dimensions. When I started gunsmithing in the late seventies, Mauser builds were still a prominent feature of the gunsmithing trade. Today, it's hard to find a 'smith who will weld a bolt handle and you would swear that drilling and tapping is akin to rocket surgery instead of the fifteen minute job it should be. In the modern world, it's a lot easier to just fall into step and buy a plastic Tikka. GD
Posted By: Jericho Re: Turkish mauser? - 04/11/18
I have seen a couple of Turkish Mauser custom rifles that were truly a work of art, but the guys who built them did it themselves. I believe they bought the complete rifles back in the 90s for something like $60 a piece.
Posted By: Cowboybart Re: Turkish mauser? - 04/12/18
$160 is kinda steep for a Turk action. $75 is about right. If you farm the work out, you will have $800 into a $475 rifle. If you do the work yourself and count your labor as free, you'll have $400 into a $475 rifle. You can make anything you want on them. The easiest would be short action stuff like the 243/308 family or the Mauser family like the 6 Rem, 257 Bob .... If you want to do a 243 or 6-284 let me know as I have barrels.
Posted By: gunswizard Re: Turkish mauser? - 04/12/18
With the cost of gunsmithing work these days I cannot understand anyone fooling with an old military action like the 98 Mausers. Like the above poster says you can easily have twice the money into the rifle versus its completed value, and that's just for a budget build no fancy barrel, stock, sights or other components.
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: Turkish mauser? - 04/12/18
The only reason I could see using a 98 action for a custom is to have one of the ACGG masters build something special with it

[Linked Image]

And I wouldn't be starting with a Turk.
Posted By: efw Re: Turkish mauser? - 04/15/18
My son has a .257 Rob built on a Turk Action I bought here pretty inexpensively and was able to barter for a lot of the work. It’s HIS rifle and he LOVES it.

Even so I could have gotten a Ruger or Winchester chambered the same way for less than what I have into it.
Posted By: Youper Re: Turkish mauser? - 04/15/18
What's not to love. Like they told me as a young man at the Speed Center, a local shop with headers, shifters and the like, "Speed cost son, how fast do you want to go?"
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Turkish mauser? - 04/15/18
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
The only reason I could see using a 98 action for a custom is to have one of the ACGG masters build something special with it

And I wouldn't be starting with a Turk.

[Linked Image]

Here are some Turkish Mausers made 1903-1905 at Oberndorf that I have been working on.
The other main kind of Turkish Mauser is the K.Kale probably made in Turkey in ~ 1938.

The pic you posted of an engraved Mauser reminds me of the kind of posts Jack Belk used to make at AR 10 or 15 years ago, when he would send his work off to the engraver.

That is not me. I am still that 14 year old kid in 1965 that got a 7mm Mauser for $10 at auction and sporterized it.

Posted By: ismith Re: Turkish mauser? - 04/15/18
Some real gems can be pulled out of the Turk pile! I have a Greek FN 1930 that ended up in a batch of Turkish imports well on its way to becoming a very nice Anglo/American retro magazine rifle. The smith doing the work has a high opinion of Turks as a matter of fact. The Turks used a lot of Mausers from a lot of different sources so it's really just a matter of knowing which ones are the good ones.
My favorite rifle for offhand shooting is a K. Kale of mine. I had a Williams receiver sight, new 1/16" bead front sight, and a recrown done to it. With a 150 gr. Hornady SP/54.0 gr. W748/R-P cases/WLR primers it will reliable give 1.6" 100 yd. groups at 2920 fps with a 15.1 S. D. For offhand shooting the ergonomics of the rifle fit me perfectly. I can't hunt with it well, but have a lot of fun shooting it.
Posted By: djpaintless Re: Turkish mauser? - 04/15/18
I think the most realistic use of Turkish Mausers is for gunsmithing practice. For practical use you can buy new a better rifle for less than the cost of the parts you'd need to make the Turkish Mauser work. If you want to lavish skill, love and attention and create a work of gunsmithing Art you should do yourself a favor and start with a more desirable Mauser and not waste your time making a silk purse out of....a Turkish Mauser.

But if you want a cheap action and can find cheap barrel and stock blanks you might be able to refine your skills making decent rifles for not too outrageous money...........

Or leave them as the piece of Mauser history they are and move on to newer and better things...............
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Turkish mauser? - 04/15/18
Originally Posted by djpaintless
I think the most realistic use of Turkish Mausers is for gunsmithing practice. For practical use you can buy new a better rifle for less than the cost of the parts you'd need to make the Turkish Mauser work. If you want to lavish skill, love and attention and create a work of gunsmithing Art you should do yourself a favor and start with a more desirable Mauser and not waste your time making a silk purse out of....a Turkish Mauser.

[Linked Image]

I have been collecting Mausers for 53 years.
Turks are not at the bottom of 98 Mausers.

I came up with a universal Mauser bedding block that should be drop in for any Mauser, but the 1871 would require long oval shaped action screw holes.
I have only one 1871 rifle, but over 100 of the more modern Mausers, so I did not bother.
Another bump in the road is the shape of the bottom of a Parker Hale recoil lug. I think these are Santa Barbara cast receivers... crudely cast at the recoil lug.

Ruger does a nice job of casting receivers.... but not those Santa Barbara receivers, I have to mill the bottom of the recoil lug to get it flat.
I agree. At the time it was the cheapest way for me to step up from my .30-30 for bear hunting. That is probably not true any more. Not my best buck, but the one I'm most proud of I did manage to take with that rifle. I have better rifles and bucks now, but those were good times.
Posted By: CowboyTim Re: Turkish mauser? - 04/15/18
There is nothing cost effective about building a Mauser. I also would not cut up a complete military rifle. That being said, a well built Mauser sporter has a feel and a history that today's stamped out MIM and injection molded plastic rifles will never have. A good Mauser has a soul. Plus they look pretty uber in a Micky with a stepped barrel...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: szihn Re: Turkish mauser? - 04/15/18
There were Turkish 98s made in Germany and Turkish 98s made in Turkey. The German made "turks" are as good to build on as any. Some Turkish Turks are ok, some are not so good with very sloppy fitting bolts and metallurgy that's all over the place.
If you have a Turkish made turk, you also may get one that has 11-1/2 Threads per inch instead of the 12 TPI that was standard. It's just fine, but you must use a thread gauge to check or you can find out too late that your new shank doesn't fit.
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Turkish mauser? - 04/18/18
The Oberndorf Turkish Mausers built between 1903 and 1905 were converted from 7.65x53mm to 7.92×57mm in 1930s.
To do this the magazine was lengthened, the feed ramp was shortened, the large ring was notched, and they were rebarreled.

While I can lengthen a VZ24 from 7.92x57 or 7x57 to 3.34" cartridges like 6.5-06 or 300 WinMag, but I cannot lengthen a 1903 Turk to 3.34", as it has already been stretched.
So cartridges like 257 Roberts are a go, and 30-06 no go.

257 Roberts Overall length 2.780 in (70.5 mm)
308 Win ......Overall length 2.810 in (71.12 mm)
7.65x53mm Overall length 76.00 mm (2.992 in)
7.92x57mm Overall length 82.00 mm (3.228 in)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------- limit of 1903 Turk
7mmRemMag Overall length 3.29 in (84 mm)
30-06 .........Overall length 3.34 in (85 mm)
300 winmag Overall length 3.34 in (85 mm)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------- limit of VZ24
7mmSTW ...Overall length......3.60 in (91 mm)

[Linked Image]

With different bottom metal, the VZ24 could get still longer.
With cut and braze the bottom metal, the VZ24 could get still longer.
But will just me milling out more space in the VZ24 bottom metal, it is paper thin on the end with 300 Win mag.
Posted By: Jericho Re: Turkish mauser? - 04/18/18
Isnt the Turk 1903 cock on closing?
Posted By: djpaintless Re: Turkish mauser? - 04/18/18
Originally Posted by szihn
There were Turkish 98s made in Germany and Turkish 98s made in Turkey. The German made "turks" are as good to build on as any. Some Turkish Turks are ok, some are not so good with very sloppy fitting bolts and metallurgy that's all over the place.
If you have a Turkish made turk, you also may get one that has 11-1/2 Threads per inch instead of the 12 TPI that was standard. It's just fine, but you must use a thread gauge to check or you can find out too late that your new shank doesn't fit.

A custom Mauser made from a German made Turkish Mauser might be just as good a rifle as a Custom made German Mauser built with a more desirable crest but it we worth less because of the general perception of Turkish Mausers. It's just the way it is.........
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Turkish mauser? - 04/19/18
Originally Posted by Jericho
Isnt the Turk 1903 cock on closing?

No, it is 98 type Mauser
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: Turkish mauser? - 04/19/18
There are both 98 style Turks, and 93 style Turks. I've had both.
Posted By: irfubar Re: Turkish mauser? - 04/23/18
The Shaw barrel finally arrived for my Turk. This is a parts gun (made from accumulated parts), It is in 338-06. and will be my camp rifle. I cerakoted the receiver stainless and the barrel black.
XS aperature rear sight, dayglo front sight, Timney trigger, military safety

[Linked Image]
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: Turkish mauser? - 04/23/18
Nice! How long on the wait for shaw?
Posted By: irfubar Re: Turkish mauser? - 04/23/18
mjbjalt,

That Turk action is the one i got from you. I ordered two barrels from Shaw , and the spiral fluted one held up my order so it took 14 weeks. My last order took 6 weeks for threaded ,short chambered and contoured barrels.

I am getting outstanding accuracy from the Shaw barrels, I dyna bore coat them when they are new as they have a reputation for fouling?
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: Turkish mauser? - 04/23/18
Excellent. Glad to see you got something great from it smile

Nice looking rifle.
Posted By: Youper Re: Turkish mauser? - 04/23/18
Great rifle. Now all it needs is the bolt disassembly boss in the stock. Some clown removed the one on one of mine and filled with an inlay.
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Turkish mauser? - 04/25/18
[Linked Image]

I took this pic of my brother when we were sporterizing Turkish Mausers. This 1903 Turk went from 7.92x57mm to 223.

15 years later he has a lot of 223s, but he still shoots the prairie dogs with that Turk.
© 24hourcampfire