Home
I’ve owned three AI cartridges and still own and use two - 223 and 243 AI.

Generally my fire forming loads have been different to what I ultimately use in the formed cases or “working loads”.

This time around in the 223AI I’m using identical FF loads and working loads. Everything is exactly the same except for the unformed vs formed cases.

Can someone explain why it is that the formed cases are generating higher velocity than the exact same load used in unformed cases? It doesn’t make too much sense to me.

ie The forming loads are generating 2910fps and the formed working loads are making 2960fps.

Is it possible the forming of the brass is “absorbing” some of the energy and hence reducing MV?

Brass is FC, bullet is Hornady 75g BTHP and powder is H4895.
The other thing I meant to ask is, is this normal?
I'd be interested to hear an answer to this. Are you sure it's not just variation of your chronograph, or caused by temperature?
The forming takes pressure, and that takes energy.

So, the formed brass is giving higher velocities because it has no work to do forming the brass, and all of the energy goes into pushing the bullet down the barrel.
The forming of the cases increases the volume during the burn. It creates the same concept as free bore giving the gas extra time to expand.
Originally Posted by bobnob17
I’ve owned three AI cartridges and still own and use two - 223 and 243 AI.

Generally my fire forming loads have been different to what I ultimately use in the formed cases or “working loads”.

This time around in the 223AI I’m using identical FF loads and working loads. Everything is exactly the same except for the unformed vs formed cases.

Can someone explain why it is that the formed cases are generating higher velocity than the exact same load used in unformed cases? It doesn’t make too much sense to me.

ie The forming loads are generating 2910fps and the formed working loads are making 2960fps.

Is it possible the forming of the brass is “absorbing” some of the energy and hence reducing MV?

Brass is FC, bullet is Hornady 75g BTHP and powder is H4895.

Your .223 case has a capacity of 31 grains of water.
Your .223A.I. case has a capacity of 31.5 grains of water.

Using same components as you stated let’s use the below example:

Nosler 40g bullet
Varget - 27 grains = 100% load density in .223 factory case (31 grains)

Varget – 27 grains = 98% load density in a .223A.I. formed case (31.5 grains)

The difference you are seeing is the added .5 grain of volume in the formed .223A.I. case. When you use the same amount of powder, the percentage of the load density is “lowered” to 98% in this example, because you have that additional .5 grain of volume in the A.I. case.

The 2% of load density in the A.I. case without powder is air, which has oxygen in it, which contributes to a hotter burn, which equals more pressure, which gives you the additional 50 fps readings you are seeing in the .223A.I. case.

The same theory above applies to your 75 grain bullet no matter what the powder charge is, being the powder charge is the same amount of grains in both cases. The additional oxygen, in the higher capacity A.I. case, is creating a hotter burn, more fps.
Originally Posted by David_Walter

So, the formed brass is giving higher velocities because it has no work to do forming the brass, and all of the energy goes into pushing the bullet down the barrel.

^^^^This^^^^
You guys are misinterpreting the OP’s statement. He isn’t “forming” cases. He’s already formed the AI cases.

He wanted to know why using the same amount of powder, bullet and primer (same components) in the two different cases, unformed and formed, had a different fps.

That's why I went into detail to explain the difference.

Originally Posted by ElkSlayer91
You guys are misinterpreting the OP’s statement. He isn’t “forming” cases. He’s already formed the AI cases.

He wanted to know why using the same amount of powder, bullet and primer (same components) in the two different cases, unformed and formed, had a different fps.

Wrong as usual.

David is correct.
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

^^^^This^^^^

Yup
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

Wrong as usual.

David is correct.

There's no point in arguing with someone who's reading comprehension is as bad as yours, when it is bolded and underlined for their benefit.

Everything is exactly the same except for the unformed vs formed cases.

You see that?

He's talking about shooting cartridges where the case has already been formed.

That is why he SPECIFICALLY STATED, "unformed vs formed"

They have "already" been "FORMED".

I'm not wrong as usual.

You're just a freaking troll.

Wrong as usual.

David is correct.

There's no point in arguing with someone who's reading comprehension is as bad as yours, when it is bolded and underlined for their benefit.

You see that?

I'm not wrong as usual.

One thing hasn't changed - your stupidity is limitless.

David
Originally Posted by Canazes9

Wrong as usual.

David is correct.

You see that?

I'm not wrong as usual.

One thing hasn't changed - your stupidity is limitless.

David

You guys want to see a troll?

Here’s this clown calling me stupid, when he is trolling by searching my posting history, so he can go directly to this man’s thread, where I tried to help him, and this troll disrupts it, so he can “troll” me….yet he has the gall to call me stupid.

That is what you get on this site trying to be helpful. All you get is polesmoker’s friends trolling me, all over this site. That is all I have had from the day ole polesmoker trolled me back last September, when he, again, inserted himself into a conversation and attacked me, just to start arguing with me. And now ever since I humiliated his azz, every swinging troll dic friend of his on this site thinks they have the mental weight to out wit me, and I love grinding these troll's noses across the concrete for the world to see just how mentally sick they are.

These are some sick sumbitches on this site.

Here’s this clown calling me stupid, when he is trolling by searching my posting history, so he can go directly to this man’s thread, where I tried to help him, and this troll disrupts it, so he can “troll” me….yet he has the gall to call me stupid.

That is what you get on this site trying to be helpful. All you get is polesmoker’s friends trolling me, all over this site. That is all I have had from the day ole polesmoker trolled me back last September, when he, again, inserted himself into a conversation and attacked me, just to start arguing with me. And now ever since I humiliated his azz, every swinging troll dic friend of his on this site thinks they have the mental weight to out wit me, and I love grinding these trolls noses across the concrete for the world to see just how mentally sick they are.

Nobody is following you around princess, you're smearing your stupidity all over the forum - it's difficult to avoid.

Please elaborate some more on the effects of oxygen on burn rate of smokeless gun powder...

The 2% of load density in the A.I. case without powder is air, which has oxygen in it, which contributes to a hotter burn, which equals more pressure, which gives you the additional 50 fps readings you are seeing in the .223A.I. case.

The same theory above applies to your 75 grain bullet no matter what the powder charge is, being the powder charge is the same amount of grains in both cases. The additional oxygen, in the higher capacity A.I. case, is creating a hotter burn, more fps.

World class stupidity.

David

That is what you get on this site trying to be helpful. All you get is polesmoker’s friends trolling me, all over this site. That is all I have had from the day ole polesmoker trolled me back last September, when he, again, inserted himself into a conversation and attacked me, just to start arguing with me. And now ever since I humiliated his azz, every swinging troll dic friend of his on this site thinks they have the mental weight to out wit me, and I love grinding these trolls noses across the concrete for the world to see just how mentally sick they are.

Nobody is following you around princess, you're smearing your stupidity all over the forum - it's difficult to avoid.

Please elaborate some more on the effects of oxygen on burn rate of smokeless gun powder...

World class stupidity.

David

There are three items needed for combustion: ignition, fuel, oxygen.

It is more than apparent you have not the first clue how varying the amount of oxygen affects combustion.

I’ve spent thousands of hours in dyno rooms, and seen the results of “my” changes, on a computer print out after a pull, after altering the components of combustion.

I’ve also done the same in my field of work over decades.

I think I know a little more about combustion than what you just showed.

Nice try, and thanks for the laughs.

P.S. Why do you think when reloading a black powder cartridge, you don’t have an “AIR SPACE(OXYGEN)/ ADDED VOLUME” between the powder, and the bullet?

P.P.S. What do you think that “AIR SPACE(OXYGEN) / ADDED VOLUME” in the combustion process would do to the PRESSURE……genius?

NoWWWW……WHO HAS THE WORLD CLASS STUPIDITY?

You’re changing the FUEL(gunpowder):AIR(oxygen) ratio in the cartridge when you increase the volume of the A.I. cartridge, and if you don’t think “leaning out” that combustion chamber increases pressure, you’re a damn fool.

Run along troll…..you’re clueless, and just had your azz handed to you.

World class stupidity.

David

Not to twist the knife any deeper into you, but could you stop "smearing your stupidity all over the forum".

It should be affects.

World class stupidity.

World class stupidity.

David

Not to twist the knife any deeper into you, but could you stop "smearing your stupidity all over the forum".

It should be affects.

World class stupidity.

Priceless stupidity from someone that understands English as well as they do smokeless powder.

https://www.vocabulary.com/articles/chooseyourwords/affect-effect/

Pleeeeeaaaasssseeee keep posting!

David

World class stupidity.

David

It should be affects.

World class stupidity.

[Linked Image]

There it is. You've officially managed to remove all doubt.

World class stupidity.

David

It is more than apparent you have not the first clue how varying the amount of oxygen affects combustion.

I’ve spent thousands of hours in dyno rooms, and seen the results of “my” changes, on a computer print out after a pull, after altering the components of combustion.

P.S. Why do you think when reloading a black powder cartridge, you don’t have an “AIR SPACE(OXYGEN)/ ADDED VOLUME” between the powder, and the bullet?

P.P.S. What do you think that “AIR SPACE(OXYGEN) / ADDED VOLUME” in the combustion process would do to the PRESSURE……genius?

You’re changing the FUEL(gunpowder):AIR(oxygen) ratio in the cartridge when you increase the volume of the A.I. cartridge, and if you don’t think “leaning out” that combustion chamber increases pressure, you’re a damn fool.

This level of stupidity is dangerous. Smokeless powder contains 100% of the oxygen necessary for 100% combustion within it's chemical make-up. There is zero "leaning out" effect (effect - look it up dumbazz). Added volume decreases pressure for a given powder charge/bullet/chamber configuration, reducing velocity, hence the OP's confusion. David Walter was correct. You are providing dangerously stupid information, probably on purpose.

https://www.alliantpowder.com/getting_started/safety/storage_handling.aspx

David
Fireforming a case to the Ackley Improved version indeed requires a portion of energy from the load, as already mentioned. When I fireform .257 Roberts into the Ackley Improved shape, I have found that the case AOL will shorten, often times significantly enough to have the primers protrude if the FF load wasn't sufficient to completely form the case and blow the head back enough to pick up the primer (this is only true in rimless bottle-necked cases, not rimmed cases). All that brass has to come from somewhere to form the straighter body, sharper shoulder, and that comes at a cost of OAL. Which is why I select a FF load with enough pressure to completely form the case. That is until I spent the money to have the Hornady Custom Shop make up a hydraulic case forming die for my latest acquisition, a .22-250 Remington Ackley Improved. The die was produced from a chamber reamer drawing and two fired cases. Now I just form the cases to 99.5% of the fired shape in the die, where firing just sharpens the shoulder to case body junction, and don't worry about anything.

World class stupidity.

David

This level of stupidity is dangerous. Smokeless powder contains 100% of the oxygen necessary for 100% combustion within it's chemical make-up. There is zero "leaning out" effect (effect - look it up dumbazz). Added volume decreases pressure for a given powder charge/bullet/chamber configuration, reducing velocity, hence the OP's confusion. David Walter was correct. You are providing dangerously stupid information, probably on purpose.

https://www.alliantpowder.com/getting_started/safety/storage_handling.aspx

David

LOL, he could google it, but all he has is a smart phone so that's obviously impossible......

World class stupidity.

David

It should be affects.

World class stupidity.

Priceless stupidity from someone that understands English as well as they do smokeless powder.

David

From “your” link:

“Most of the time, you'll want affect as a verb meaning to influence something, and effect for the something that was influenced.”

My Example to show correct usage, again, with “FACTS” from above quotation from “YOUR” link to support:

The affects of oxygen on burn rate of smokeless gun powder will have effects on the combustion.

Oxygen is influencing something…..combustion, so you use “affect”.

Combustion was influenced……so you would use “effect”

Priceless stupidity from someone that can’t understand English from their own link.

Elkslayer91 Grade – A

Canazas9 Grade - F

ETA: That's the second time today I've handed you your azz.....I'll get to the third concerning the powder when I get time....you're still clueless about "any" knowledge of combustion, and your link I just read proves it.

World class stupidity.

David

It should be affects.

World class stupidity.

David

From “your” link:

“Most of the time, you'll want affect as a verb meaning to influence something, and effect for the something that was influenced.”

My Example to show correct usage, again, with “FACTS” from above quotation from “YOUR” link to support:

The affects of oxygen on burn rate of smokeless gun powder will have effects on the combustion.

Priceless stupidity from someone that can’t understand English from their own link.

Elkslayer91 Grade – A

Canazas9 Grade - F

Wow!

You would be hard pressed to put much more stupidity into a single post.

Impressive.

David

I’ve spent thousands of hours in dyno rooms

Maybe you should go back... Spend more time there, than here.
Does "dyno" mean padded walls?
Additional oxygen in the cartridge case won't affect the burn characteristics of smokeless powder, leading Elksucker91 to make a giant azz out of himself when discussing the effects of additional oxygen on smokeless powder burn characteristics.

David
maybe he exhales when squeezing the trigger? you know, to increase oxygen flow...
Originally Posted by huntsman22
maybe he exhales when squeezing the trigger? you know, to increase oxygen flow...

If I had to bet, he's been inhaling...

David

World class stupidity.

David

It should be affects.

World class stupidity.

David

From “your” link:

Elkslayer91 Grade – A

Canazas9 Grade - F

Wow!

You would be hard pressed to put much more stupidity into a single post.

Impressive.

David

Thanks for proving the old saying about leading a horse to water....I showed you "your" mistake with "your" own link.

I can't fix stupid, and you just proved that.

There it is again. Oxygen is influencing combustion, so you correctly use affect.

If your IQ is that low to where you can't grasp that....there's no way in hell you can grasp the technicalities of combustion, and you just throwing up a link, that doesn't not deal with the intricate technicalities of combustion, shows you are fully incapable of such discussion.

Thanks for proving the old saying about leading a horse to water....I showed you "your" mistake with "your" own link.

I can't fix stupid, and you just proved that.

There it is again. Oxygen is influencing combustion, so you correctly use affect.

If your IQ is that low to where you can't grasp that....there's no way in hell you can grasp the technicalities of combustion, and you just throwing up a link, that doesn't not deal with the intricate technicalities of combustion, shows you are fully incapable of such discussion.

Just keep doubling down on the stupidity. As dumb as you look, it's still better than continuing your discussion around the effects (https://www.dictionary.com/browse/the) of additional oxygen on powder burn in a rifle chamber.

David

Is this guy Lee24’s bastard lovechild?
Originally Posted by smokepole
I'd be interested to hear an answer to this. Are you sure it's not just variation of your chronograph, or caused by temperature?

For those following this thread, you’ll see in the above posting of smoker, he hasn’t the first clue, nor does he have the ability to enter into a detailed technical discussion.

You will notice that he, again, shows in this thread his only talent here on this site, internet stalker trolling to stir the pot.

Don’t believe me? Just go back, and scan over these first 2 pages. Nothing but generalities and degrading libel attacking…when I never entered into a conversation with him. Matter of fact, go search his postings, and you’ll notice most are simple generalities or comic relief on this site…..or trolling, like in this thread.

Truly mentally sick, and many others have noticed and pointed this out on this site.

You’ll also notice his fanboy, huntsman22, has now arrived…obviously smoker PM’d / called him for help with the trolling. And like Smoker, huntsman22 is just trolling, and can’t discuss the topic…just internet stalker obviously.

True mental sickness guys, and you have a front row seat.

For those following this thread, you’ll see in the above posting of smoker, he hasn’t the first clue, nor does he have the ability to enter into a detailed technical discussion.

You will notice that he, again, shows in this thread his only talent here on this site, internet stalker trolling to stir the pot.

Don’t believe me? Just go back, and scan over these first 2 pages. Nothing but generalities and degrading libel attacking…when I never entered into a conversation with him. Matter of fact, go search his postings, and you’ll notice most are simple generalities or comic relief on this site…..or trolling, like in this thread.

Truly mentally sick, and many others have noticed and pointed this out on this site.

You’ll also notice his fanboy, huntsman22, has now arrived…obviously smoker PM’d / called him for help with the trolling. And like Smoker, huntsman22 is just trolling, and can’t discuss the topic…just internet stalker obviously.

Got purty quiet talking about smokeless powder and excess oxygen in the case.....

David

Did your parents have any children that lived?

World class stupidity.

David

Dyno? Please extrapolate. What universal receiver are you using what pressure sensors and who’s ballistic program? Tough to beat ohler! Also what cartridges are you testing the most and who’s?

Also If the Kotex needs a changeN take your time in responding that shît cant be fun.

No you are just a dumba$$ no one came here to the rescue for smokepole.. You are someones sockpuppet that has been banned/ran off before.

Got purty quiet talking about smokeless powder and excess oxygen in the case.....

David

Talking about smokeless powder? Hell, he can't even use a smart phone to access the internet, how's he gonna google what he needs for an intelligent discussion on smokeless powder?
Originally Posted by 79S

No you are just a dumba$$ no one came here to the rescue for smokepole..

Wait a minute 79, I think ol' elkslayer may be onto something with the mental sickness angle. I mean, what are the odds that all the posters on this thread would just gang up on him out of the blue and call him an arsehole without some serious mental sicknees going on?

He's obviously in the right here, it's an internet conspiracy against him. I'm pretty sure you can google it. Did you know you can google something with your smart phone? Not many people know about that.
Ok I thought some energy was being absorbed by fire forming, hence reducing MV a little. There seems enough corroboration above for me to go with that.

FTR my unformed cases have 30.9g water capacity and the formed cases have 32.9g capacity. Not sure where old mate got his data from. I didn’t see anyone looking over my shoulder when I measured them.

Anyway - entertaining read!
Ok I thought some energy was being absorbed by fire forming, hence reducing MV a little. There seems enough corroboration above for me to go with that.

The corroboration is 100% wrong, because the laws of thermodynamics prove they are wrong, and I don’t mean that in a hateful way except to the idiots in this thread trolling. 100% of trolls are stupid, and don’t have the intelligence to understand something, even when it is laid at their feet, like this polesmoker clown, who made multiple posts just to keep the pot stirred up.

The first law of thermodynamics states in a closed system, which a shell casing is, you can’t lose energy through the container. There is no work (pressure) “lost” through the shell casing. It all goes out the shell casing, and down the barrel, therefore there is no work (energy / pressure) lost or absorbed.

I have the law of thermodynamics backing me. These idiots trolling me have a head full of dead brain cells.

Case (pun fully intended here) closed….unless any of these trolling idiots care to entertain us with their stupidity, and tell me the laws of thermodynamics are wrong.

Continuing further here, the added air I stated in the 2% is Nitrogen and Oxygen atoms mostly. When atoms are heated, they do what? They expand, but in a closed container (shell casing) they can only expand so much, and then they do what? They increase the pressure being they have no additional place to expand to.

Again, the Laws of thermodynamics support this 100%.

So to state air (Nitrogen / Oxygen Atoms) does not contribute to an increase in pressure is 100% wrong, and the Laws of Thermodynamics prove it.

And remember, oxygen is highly flammable. Remember the NO SMOKING when oxygen is being administered?

Further, the increase in the shoulder angle to 40* degrees, on the A.I. case, creates additional resistance as the flow of the pressure exiting has a more aggressive angle from the diameter of the casing to the diameter of the neck it must contend with, as well as the additional turbulence at the transition point, all of which adds pressure in the chamber behind the bullet.

I have fan laws and piping laws that support this 100%.

Lastly, no testing has ever been done on the Ackley in a lab by a powder manufacture, so all that is around are “theories” unsupported, but my “theory” is supported 100% by the laws I have included in this posting, and any Engineer worth their salt knows exactly what I just posted is 100% correct, being the Thermodynamic, Fan and Piping laws fully support 100% of it.

FTR my unformed cases have 30.9g water capacity and the formed cases have 32.9g capacity. Not sure where old mate got his data from. I didn’t see anyone looking over my shoulder when I measured them.

I looked the .223A.I. up online, and we all know different brands, and different lots, hold varying differences in grains of water in shell capacity.

To the trolls….you had your chance to look / be intelligent. Thanks for the laughs.

The corroboration is 100% wrong, because the laws of thermodynamics prove they are wrong, and I don’t mean that in a hateful way except to the idiots in this thread trolling. 100% of trolls are stupid, and don’t have the intelligence to understand something, even when it is laid at their feet, like this polesmoker clown, who made multiple posts just to keep the pot stirred up.

The first law of thermodynamics states in a closed system, which a shell casing is, you can’t lose energy through the container. There is no work (pressure) “lost” through the shell casing. It all goes out the shell casing, and down the barrel, therefore there is no work (energy / pressure) lost or absorbed.

I have the law of thermodynamics backing me. These idiots trolling me have a head full of dead brain cells.

Case (pun fully intended here) closed….unless any of these trolling idiots care to entertain us with their stupidity, and tell me the laws of thermodynamics are wrong.

Continuing further here, the added air I stated in the 2% is Nitrogen and Oxygen atoms mostly. When atoms are heated, they do what? They expand, but in a closed container (shell casing) they can only expand so much, and then they do what? They increase the pressure being they have no additional place to expand to.

So to state air (Nitrogen / Oxygen Atoms) does not contribute to an increase in pressure is 100% wrong, and the Laws of Thermodynamics prove it.

And remember, oxygen is highly flammable. Remember the NO SMOKING when oxygen is being administered?

Further, the increase in the shoulder angle to 40* degrees, on the A.I. case, creates additional resistance as the flow of the pressure exiting has a more aggressive angle from the diameter of the casing to the diameter of the neck it must contend with, as well as the additional turbulence at the transition point, all of which adds pressure in the chamber behind the bullet.

Lastly, no testing has ever been done on the Ackley in a lab by a powder manufacture, so all that is around are “theories” unsupported, but my “theory” is supported 100% by the laws I have included in this posting, and any Engineer worth their salt knows exactly what I just posted is 100% correct, being the Thermodynamic, Fan and Piping laws fully support 100% of it.

I looked the .223A.I. up online, and we all know different brands, and different lots, hold varying differences in grains of water in shell capacity.

To the trolls….you had your chance to look / be intelligent. Thanks for the laughs.

Well we all know who's not an engineer in this thread.

It's not a closed system until the container stops expanding (fireforming the shell casing to the larger AI dimensions. Expanding the case dimensions requires energy to complete the work, which is absorbed from the expanding gasses formed when the powder is ignited.

Again, smokeless powder contains 100% of the oxygen necessary for 100% combustion within it's chemical matrix, any additional oxygen present contributes nothing to the combustion process.

David

"elksalyer," you remind me of the famous Ronald Reagan quote: "The trouble with our Liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Google it on your smart phone, you can do that now. What you "know" that isn't so could fill volumes.

Anyone with a rudimentaary understanding of internal ballistics knows that a brass case in a centerfire rifle does not contain the pressure generated by burning powder. A brass case cannot contain the pressure because it's not designed to. Cases are made of thin-walled brass so that they can expand and conform to the chamber dimensions. Chambers are made of thick-walled steel so they can contain the pressure. You seem like a guy who reads a lot but doesn't have the practical knowledge and grounding to understand what he's reading.

If you don't believe that, chamber up a .270 round in a 7 mm Rem. magnum and pull the trigger. You''l see how effective the brass case is at containing the pressure generated. Let us know how that works out for you.
Not sure where old mate got his data from. I didn’t see anyone looking over my shoulder when I measured them.

That's funny. On another thread, ol' "elkslayer" told me that it I wasn't hunting where I said I was on the opening day of last elk season. Made a big deal about it, called me a liar. He deduced this through some super-secret decoder ring style sleuthing, said I was logged onto this website at precisely 8:30 PM the night beofre the season, and my hunting area was a good half-day's drive from my computer. Which is true enough, he just neglected to consider the fact that you can log onto the internet with a cell phone, which I had done from my rented room, a half-day's drive away from my computer.

That's why I keep reminding "elkslayer" that he can google things from his cell phone. He needs all the help he can get, in more ways than one.

Going through this post line by line, I’ll stop the analysis when I come to the first false statement...

“The first law of thermodynamics states in a closed system, which a shell casing is, you can’t lose energy through the container.“

And..../break.

A quick Google search shows:

“An open system is one that allows energy and matter exchange. ... If the system allows neither energy or matter transfer, then it is an isolated system. However, if it allows only energy transfer, it is a closed system.

From Wikipedia (which anybody with a smart phone can access):

“The first law of thermodynamics...states that the change in the internal energy ΔU of a closed system is equal to the amount of heat Q supplied to the system [as in the heat supplied in the form of chemical potential energy within the bonds of the powder], minus the amount of work W done by the system on its surroundings [as in the work to form the case to the chamber walls, prior to doing much work on the bullet].
Funny. People pointing fingers and calling names, particularly the name Troll. Then Steelhead shows up!
ElkSlayer91,

If you think that a combustion where a piston (re: the bullet) is expelled is a closed system in thermodynamics, then you've ID'd the problem.

You know dick about thermodynamics, and less about pressure vessels.
Originally Posted by rustyzipper
Funny. People pointing fingers and calling names, particularly the name Troll. Then Steelhead shows up!

Seems you find comfort in the folds of fellow idiots. No surprise really
You pose an interesting question. I`ve formed many AI cases for different cal I`ve owned, 7x57, 8mm06, and four 250`s in the the last 35 yrs or so, and never checked the difference when forming to formed using the same load. As for as I know, no one else has either..or I`ve never read about it.
So I tried it with one of my current 250AI`s. I used 41.7 gn. of RL-15, RP cases for all, RP primers, and an 87gn Berger bullet. All seat depths the same, case weight within 2 gns of each other. My formed RP cases,4 shots average 3196fps, 6.5 cases formed to 250AI, 3193fps, I didn`t expect much change, if any, because cases are so simular to begin with, and last, virgin RP 250-3000 cases, 3180 4 shot averge. So about 16fps slower in this small sample. Powder slightly compress here, had more room in the 6.5 and AI cases.
Maybe MD will chip in with a proven answer?
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Seems you find comfort in the folds of fellow idiots. No surprise really

Scott,

If the Republic is ever in such dire straits that they need me to be the President, I want you running the daily press briefings with little Jimmy Acosta, CNN, et al.
NOTHING is fhuqking funnier...than a Texan TRYING to "talk" rifles!

Bless her heart.

Laughing!................
ElkSlayer91,

" My Mom told me I had an exceptionally high I.Q. My Dad always told me I was highly intelligent. My friends have always told me I’m a fool. All my friends are great liars. "

Maybe be your Mom and your Dad were wrong and your friends tell the truth.
Originally Posted by fredIII

World class stupidity.

David

Dyno? Please extrapolate. What universal receiver are you using what pressure sensors and who’s ballistic program? Tough to beat ohler! Also what cartridges are you testing the most and who’s?

Also If the Kotex needs a changeN take your time in responding that shît cant be fun.

Few things funnier,than a Window Licking Fhuqking Retard TRYING to "drop" a "name" and botching same. Hint. Congratulations?!?

No "wonder" she plagiarizes sooooooooooo much. HINT.

It remains "Oehler".

Bless her heart for trying though.

Hint.

LAUGHING!................

Uhhh sorry but you are misinterpreting the OP... But first I will point out the part you got right (I'll throw you a bone) "Everything is exactly the same except for the unformed vs formed cases". This is correct the part that did a flyby for ya was HE IS FIRING THEM BOTH IN AN IMPROVED CHAMBER.... We will pause here and allow that to sink in...............

Now would be a good time for you to do your best Rosanna Rosanna Danna impersonation and say "Oh never mind"........

That way folks that know way more about this than you can go back to doing more important stuff.....and you can go do some light reading on oxidizers.
Originally Posted by okie
... We will pause here and allow that to sink in...............

I hope you packed a lunch. And dinner.
[Linked Image]

Still laughing with you sugartits. 🤣.
You correcting spelling is almost as funny as your understanding of Plagiarizing.
Could P.O. Ackley have been correct, in that case shape does indeed have something to do with velocity? IIRC the labs MD had worked with suggest not. I don`t know. But at a chamber pressure of 55to58K PSI, your .223..maybe more, maybe less, seems that moving so little brass such a small distance to comform to the AI chamber, would use up enough energy to reduce velocity 50fps?
Yesterday, forming a larger case to an AI chamber, I lost only 16fps. And again, only a sample of one. Have you formed and recorded any more?
Still an interesting question.
Originally Posted by CGPAUL
Could P.O. Ackley have been correct, in that case shape does indeed have something to do with velocity? IIRC the labs MD had worked with suggest not. I don`t know. But at a chamber pressure of 55to58K PSI, your .223..maybe more, maybe less, seems that moving so little brass such a small distance to comform to the AI chamber, would use up enough energy to reduce velocity 50fps?
Yesterday, forming a larger case to an AI chamber, I lost only 16fps. And again, only a sample of one. Have you formed and recorded any more?

Do you remember the 300 WSM vs. 300 H&H test reported by MD?

https://load-data.nosler.com/load-data/280-ackley-improved/

pipe theories you’re smoking one.

PS.

Smoke pole= GG.
Some folks simply GOTTA plagiarize. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Very GOOD call to refrain ALL things The Rifle. Hint. LAUGHING!

Knock 'er outta da' Park and dangle a picture of "your" 223AI(s).

Bless your heart for trying.

Hint.

Laughing!...........
Mathman, sorry, I do not. I`ll see if I can find it.
Thanks
Basically the same barrel was chambered first to H&H, then to WSM. Doing it in that order allowed each cartridge the same length of the same barrel out in front of the case mouth. The capacities of the cases are practically the same, and so were the average velocities recorded with the same loads. So the case shape amounted to squat with respect to average velocities. Shot to shot statistics I don't remember.
Yes, I found it..Charlie Sisk was the smith. Thanks

Any thoughts on this subject? Like I`ve said, I`ve formed many AI cases, but have never taken velocities using the same load before and after forming.

Not to put you on the spot, but would there be any mathamatical forumla to explain the difference the OP sees?
Not a formula per se, but I suppose one could calculate the amount of work done in changing its shape. (This would require numerical analysis/modeling of a type I never was involved with.) Then you could compare that with the kinetic energy difference from the different velocities.
I'd suspect the chronograph,as an opening move................
Thanks, that`s way above my pay grade..

Big Stick...got more to do, so will check the chronograph too.
Originally Posted by CGPAUL

Yes I’ve since chronoed more as well as going back over the notes from the earlier chrono testing. The difference is a solid 45-50fps.

Next time I fire form for the 243AI I’ll try a similar thing ie everything identical except virgin vs formed cases.
Was gunning some Alpha 260 LRP false shouldered Virgins,through a 243AI,not long ago this morning...................
No you didn't.
7,8,9,10,12 and 14" RPM 223AI's.

Hint.

[Linked Image]

Prolly have a "few" more..................(grin)

The OP answered his own question and then David Walter re-stated it correctly. Let's see how much further this will go.
Hardly.

Hint.

Laughing!..............

This is very likely to be the correct explanation.

Other possibilities .. how many shots did you fire of each to determine your velocities, 2910 vs 2960 FPS? How much variation in velocity was there among those fired from formed cases? Unformed cases? In other words, are the results reliably repeatable without contradictory instances? Which powder was used, how temperature sensitive is it, and were the cartridges you chronographed all tested at the same temperature? What about your sky screens on your chronograph? Were they **exactly** the same distance from the muzzle?

Anyway, I think David's explanation is the most likely, but with only 50 fps difference, slight, unnoticed inconsistency in testing methodology could contribute that and more.

Tom
Laughing!...............
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Laughing!...............

Still crying laughing with you.

[Linked Image]
Brokedick Fhuqks cain't offer their own wares.

Hint. Congratulations?!?

At least Imagination and Pretend are "free",so you can afford to "contribute".

Bless your heart for trying.

Hint.

LAUGHING!....................
Money talk and can’t afford a quality diet.

Still laughing at you sugartits

[Linked Image]

Largest black bear form in the book. All free of course. Wears yours.

Pretend 280ai brass.

[Linked Image]
Pretend 280ai brass.

[Linked Image]

Maybe sugartits will post a pic with 5 of those green machines in a row...........

[Linked Image]

What's it wearing Fred?
An 18" Bear is fhuqking FUNNY!

So is her brass choice.

Hint.

LAUGHING!.................
Originally Posted by smokinggun

[Linked Image]

What's it wearing Fred?

Wares beyond where’s but no pants are wore. Crying laughing.

[Linked Image]

Wares. Did someone eat their sorrows.
Your man lust has no bounds.
An 18" Bear is fhuqking FUNNY!

So is her brass choice.

Hint.

Please post a pic of your half body mount. It’s gotta be amazing.

Don’t fret! I promise you no time soon will I be trying to smack sugartits cock out of your mouth.
I thought you said the bear "wears yours". Please do tell, what is it the bear wears?
[Linked Image]

Don’t fret! I promise you no time soon will I be trying to smack sugartits cock out of your mouth.

There you go again....
When you visited did you get a poke to. 🤣😂 seems everyone could’ve.
Sugartits post a pic of that bull elk you lied about killing.

Did you mean to type "too"?

Did you mean to type "too"?

Spelling when all else fails and your face with your mediocrity check spelling and grammar cuz it’s really important on the fire.
Poor sugar tits blew smoke. Pun intended.
I thought you said the bear "wears yours". Please do tell, what is it the bear wears?

Did ya get to do some jack light deer hunts when sugar tits had ya up or is the poaching just a local crew deal.

I don't ever think I've seen someone try so hard to make themselves look so bad. If you're going to incorrectly dig your heels in on the difference between affect (to influence) and effect (result), then internal ballistics is certainly way above your head as you've demonstrated.
Fredrica,

Just how many times do you think about me and gawk my picture,on an "average" day? Hint. Congratulations?!?

Bless your heart.

LAUGHING!...............
Fredrica,

Just how many times do you think about me and gawk my picture,on an "average" day? Hint. Congratulations?!?

Bless your heart.

LAUGHING!...............

End less laughing at a washed up bully is free bliss.
How’s the blood sugar fat man.

[Linked Image]

Laughing at you. With with you. 🤣😂🤣. With you.
Fredrica,

Bless your heart.

LAUGHING!...............

End less laughing at a washed up bully is free bliss.
How’s the blood sugar fat man.

[Linked Image]

Laughing at you. With with you. 🤣😂🤣. With you.

Slurring early..too fhuqking funny!

Dog Schit Rat,Dog Schit "mount" and lotsa Snowflakes melting in the rain.

Bless your heart,for simply donig your BEST.

Hint.

LAUGHING!.............
I always know when you appreciate my efforts sugar tits. You start typing sentences.

[Linked Image]
Fredrica,

How many times a day,do you fixate me?

Hint.

LAUGHING!...................
Snow flake who has a rifle range in his back yard mind you. 🤣🤣🤣😂😂🤣🤣

[Linked Image]

PS this is the only fish picture I have and I thought the new cool thing was to post fish pictures over and over.

🤣🤣😂🤣🤣😂😂🤣😂
Fredrica,

How many times a day,do you fixate me?

Hint.

LAUGHING!...................

Fly on down and find out. I’d love to have a face to face. Bet my bear mount man has a fat fûck form laying around you will fit.
Fredrica,

Pardon your Brokedick ways precluding your owning a 223AI and suffering a SCHIT "mount".

Bless your heart for TRYING.

Hint.

Sugartits Thanks for the slack time entertainment good sit this morning.

[Linked Image]

You didn’t turn a lick. LOL.

Yep that’s a new car from yesterday in the background.

[Linked Image]
WA welfare pays. And rubbing your face in it is a great slack time pass.

[Linked Image]
Good, I`ll follow this from my sons` place. I will be out of town for 12 days..
The Rat Fhuqk "mount",is her best.

Hint.

LAUGHING!.............

Hint.

LAUGHING!.............

Post a pic of your mount or something you killed today.

Never hard to see through Bullshît.

Hint.

LAUGHING!.............

Hint.

LAUGHING!.............

Bests are arbitrary but this seems yours.

[Linked Image]
I would be “embarrassed”. Hell im embarrassed for ya.

Hint.

LAUGHING!.............

Bests are arbitrary but this seems yours.

[Linked Image]
I would be “embarrassed”. Hell im embarrassed for ya.

Your slur is hilarious. Hint. Congratulations?!?

How many times a day,do you think about me?

Bless your heart.

Hint.

LAUGHING!............
Less than you think about me I promise. And by now I’m sure you would have skirted me at every chance just to save the humiliation. Here is to ya going from the bully to the beaten.

Got clams to dig. Good talk retard. Poor sugartits 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣😁.

[Linked Image]
You gonna do anything except bitch about other guys gear today sugartits.

Laughing at you.
STINKY, What a surprise to see you on here. Ohhh pff what else do you have to do? With NO life other than living in your stinky trailer house and living your extreme life on the internet.

Hint.

LAUGHING!.............

I’m learning here so let me use mount in a sentence.

While sugartits was at work a guy across town was mounting his wife and now he can’t afford a bear mount.

Is that correct?

Crying laughing at you.
Tit's got a wife?
Originally Posted by Remington6MM
Tit's got a wife?

Again I’m learning so correct me if I’m wrong.

Sugartits HAD a wife she mounted up and ran off.

Oh fûck this is fun.

😂😂😂😂😂😁😁😁😁😁😁🤣🐻🐻
OK Gottcha.
Just a reminder this was my morning sugartits.

[Linked Image]

While you were whole heartedly believe that I just lay around like you. Post a fish picture to level the field.

Laughing at YOU. Hint.
OK Gottcha.

Someone must be busy planning the big day. 6mm saint patties day only comes once a year.
She’s probably getting that suit dry cleaned as I type.
Them that cain't...simply must Imagine.

Bless your heart.

Them that cain't...simply must Imagine.

Bless your heart.

Best beating off advice ever. Thanks sugartits but the clams are necking.
Not sure what is worse???
Them that cain't,pilfer pics of others.

Hint...............
OK Gottcha.

Someone must be busy planning the big day. 6mm saint patties day only comes once a year.
She’s probably getting that suit dry cleaned as I type.

Dang that's funny! Only there ain't no pot-o-gold at the end of that leprechaun's rainbow, only a pile of junk he ruined!
Just a few of my 223 AI's.

Hint.

[Linked Image]

Laughing!..............
Just a few of my 223 AI's.

Hint.

[Linked Image]

Laughing!..............

Sugartits we all seen that picture a hundred times and we know you store your guns in the broken down fleet of glass junk.

PS When only shooting headlight distance 223 ai would be stellar.
How many fuucked up piles of shiit 223ai's does a guy need???? Jesus Christ
Pardon your inability to "afford" one.

Hint........................
I "barely" get by..... Grin
Dangle a pic of "your" 223AI.

HINT.

LAUGHING!.......................

HINT.

Dangle a current family photo.

HINT.

Dangle a current family photo.

You’ve no clue. Hint.
Would you fellows please stop quarreling?
[quote=Big Stick]Dangle a pic of "your" 223AI.

HINT.

LAUGHING!.......................[/quote

Fuucking thing wounds coyotes and you expect it to kill nips??? Haha no wonder we lost....
© 24hourcampfire