Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I’ve owned three AI cartridges and still own and use two - 223 and 243 AI.

Generally my fire forming loads have been different to what I ultimately use in the formed cases or “working loads”.

This time around in the 223AI I’m using identical FF loads and working loads. Everything is exactly the same except for the unformed vs formed cases.

Can someone explain why it is that the formed cases are generating higher velocity than the exact same load used in unformed cases? It doesn’t make too much sense to me.

ie The forming loads are generating 2910fps and the formed working loads are making 2960fps.

Is it possible the forming of the brass is “absorbing” some of the energy and hence reducing MV?

Brass is FC, bullet is Hornady 75g BTHP and powder is H4895.

GB1

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The other thing I meant to ask is, is this normal?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I'd be interested to hear an answer to this. Are you sure it's not just variation of your chronograph, or caused by temperature?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
The forming takes pressure, and that takes energy.

So, the formed brass is giving higher velocities because it has no work to do forming the brass, and all of the energy goes into pushing the bullet down the barrel.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General John Stark.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
The forming of the cases increases the volume during the burn. It creates the same concept as free bore giving the gas extra time to expand.

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
IC B2

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by bobnob17
I’ve owned three AI cartridges and still own and use two - 223 and 243 AI.

Generally my fire forming loads have been different to what I ultimately use in the formed cases or “working loads”.

This time around in the 223AI I’m using identical FF loads and working loads. Everything is exactly the same except for the unformed vs formed cases.

Can someone explain why it is that the formed cases are generating higher velocity than the exact same load used in unformed cases? It doesn’t make too much sense to me.

ie The forming loads are generating 2910fps and the formed working loads are making 2960fps.

Is it possible the forming of the brass is “absorbing” some of the energy and hence reducing MV?

Brass is FC, bullet is Hornady 75g BTHP and powder is H4895.

Your .223 case has a capacity of 31 grains of water.
Your .223A.I. case has a capacity of 31.5 grains of water.

Using same components as you stated let’s use the below example:

Nosler 40g bullet
Varget - 27 grains = 100% load density in .223 factory case (31 grains)

Varget – 27 grains = 98% load density in a .223A.I. formed case (31.5 grains)

The difference you are seeing is the added .5 grain of volume in the formed .223A.I. case. When you use the same amount of powder, the percentage of the load density is “lowered” to 98% in this example, because you have that additional .5 grain of volume in the A.I. case.

The 2% of load density in the A.I. case without powder is air, which has oxygen in it, which contributes to a hotter burn, which equals more pressure, which gives you the additional 50 fps readings you are seeing in the .223A.I. case.

The same theory above applies to your 75 grain bullet no matter what the powder charge is, being the powder charge is the same amount of grains in both cases. The additional oxygen, in the higher capacity A.I. case, is creating a hotter burn, more fps.

"He is far from Stupid"

”person, who happens to have an above-average level of intelligence

– DocRocket (In reference to ElkSlayer91)

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by David_Walter

So, the formed brass is giving higher velocities because it has no work to do forming the brass, and all of the energy goes into pushing the bullet down the barrel.

^^^^This^^^^

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
You guys are misinterpreting the OP’s statement. He isn’t “forming” cases. He’s already formed the AI cases.

He wanted to know why using the same amount of powder, bullet and primer (same components) in the two different cases, unformed and formed, had a different fps.

That's why I went into detail to explain the difference.

"He is far from Stupid"

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by ElkSlayer91
You guys are misinterpreting the OP’s statement. He isn’t “forming” cases. He’s already formed the AI cases.

He wanted to know why using the same amount of powder, bullet and primer (same components) in the two different cases, unformed and formed, had a different fps.

Wrong as usual.

David is correct.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Originally Posted by David_Walter

^^^^This^^^^

Yup

IC B3

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

Wrong as usual.

David is correct.

There's no point in arguing with someone who's reading comprehension is as bad as yours, when it is bolded and underlined for their benefit.

Everything is exactly the same except for the unformed vs formed cases.

You see that?

He's talking about shooting cartridges where the case has already been formed.

That is why he SPECIFICALLY STATED, "unformed vs formed"

They have "already" been "FORMED".

I'm not wrong as usual.

You're just a freaking troll.

"He is far from Stupid"

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

Wrong as usual.

David is correct.

There's no point in arguing with someone who's reading comprehension is as bad as yours, when it is bolded and underlined for their benefit.

You see that?

I'm not wrong as usual.

One thing hasn't changed - your stupidity is limitless.

David

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by Canazes9

Wrong as usual.

David is correct.

You see that?

I'm not wrong as usual.

One thing hasn't changed - your stupidity is limitless.

David

You guys want to see a troll?

Here’s this clown calling me stupid, when he is trolling by searching my posting history, so he can go directly to this man’s thread, where I tried to help him, and this troll disrupts it, so he can “troll” me….yet he has the gall to call me stupid.

That is what you get on this site trying to be helpful. All you get is polesmoker’s friends trolling me, all over this site. That is all I have had from the day ole polesmoker trolled me back last September, when he, again, inserted himself into a conversation and attacked me, just to start arguing with me. And now ever since I humiliated his azz, every swinging troll dic friend of his on this site thinks they have the mental weight to out wit me, and I love grinding these troll's noses across the concrete for the world to see just how mentally sick they are.

These are some sick sumbitches on this site.

Last edited by ElkSlayer91; 03/10/19.

"He is far from Stupid"

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

Here’s this clown calling me stupid, when he is trolling by searching my posting history, so he can go directly to this man’s thread, where I tried to help him, and this troll disrupts it, so he can “troll” me….yet he has the gall to call me stupid.

That is what you get on this site trying to be helpful. All you get is polesmoker’s friends trolling me, all over this site. That is all I have had from the day ole polesmoker trolled me back last September, when he, again, inserted himself into a conversation and attacked me, just to start arguing with me. And now ever since I humiliated his azz, every swinging troll dic friend of his on this site thinks they have the mental weight to out wit me, and I love grinding these trolls noses across the concrete for the world to see just how mentally sick they are.

Nobody is following you around princess, you're smearing your stupidity all over the forum - it's difficult to avoid.

Please elaborate some more on the effects of oxygen on burn rate of smokeless gun powder...

The 2% of load density in the A.I. case without powder is air, which has oxygen in it, which contributes to a hotter burn, which equals more pressure, which gives you the additional 50 fps readings you are seeing in the .223A.I. case.

The same theory above applies to your 75 grain bullet no matter what the powder charge is, being the powder charge is the same amount of grains in both cases. The additional oxygen, in the higher capacity A.I. case, is creating a hotter burn, more fps.

World class stupidity.

David

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E

That is what you get on this site trying to be helpful. All you get is polesmoker’s friends trolling me, all over this site. That is all I have had from the day ole polesmoker trolled me back last September, when he, again, inserted himself into a conversation and attacked me, just to start arguing with me. And now ever since I humiliated his azz, every swinging troll dic friend of his on this site thinks they have the mental weight to out wit me, and I love grinding these trolls noses across the concrete for the world to see just how mentally sick they are.

Nobody is following you around princess, you're smearing your stupidity all over the forum - it's difficult to avoid.

Please elaborate some more on the effects of oxygen on burn rate of smokeless gun powder...

World class stupidity.

David

There are three items needed for combustion: ignition, fuel, oxygen.

It is more than apparent you have not the first clue how varying the amount of oxygen affects combustion.

I’ve spent thousands of hours in dyno rooms, and seen the results of “my” changes, on a computer print out after a pull, after altering the components of combustion.

I’ve also done the same in my field of work over decades.

I think I know a little more about combustion than what you just showed.

Nice try, and thanks for the laughs.

P.S. Why do you think when reloading a black powder cartridge, you don’t have an “AIR SPACE(OXYGEN)/ ADDED VOLUME” between the powder, and the bullet?

P.P.S. What do you think that “AIR SPACE(OXYGEN) / ADDED VOLUME” in the combustion process would do to the PRESSURE……genius?

NoWWWW……WHO HAS THE WORLD CLASS STUPIDITY?

You’re changing the FUEL(gunpowder):AIR(oxygen) ratio in the cartridge when you increase the volume of the A.I. cartridge, and if you don’t think “leaning out” that combustion chamber increases pressure, you’re a damn fool.

Run along troll…..you’re clueless, and just had your azz handed to you.

"He is far from Stupid"

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E

World class stupidity.

David

Not to twist the knife any deeper into you, but could you stop "smearing your stupidity all over the forum".

It should be affects.

World class stupidity.

"He is far from Stupid"

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

World class stupidity.

David

Not to twist the knife any deeper into you, but could you stop "smearing your stupidity all over the forum".

It should be affects.

World class stupidity.

Priceless stupidity from someone that understands English as well as they do smokeless powder.

https://www.vocabulary.com/articles/chooseyourwords/affect-effect/

Pleeeeeaaaasssseeee keep posting!

David

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

World class stupidity.

David

It should be affects.

World class stupidity.

[Linked Image]

There it is. You've officially managed to remove all doubt.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

World class stupidity.

David

There are three items needed for combustion: ignition, fuel, oxygen.

It is more than apparent you have not the first clue how varying the amount of oxygen affects combustion.

I’ve spent thousands of hours in dyno rooms, and seen the results of “my” changes, on a computer print out after a pull, after altering the components of combustion.

I’ve also done the same in my field of work over decades.

I think I know a little more about combustion than what you just showed.

Nice try, and thanks for the laughs.

P.S. Why do you think when reloading a black powder cartridge, you don’t have an “AIR SPACE(OXYGEN)/ ADDED VOLUME” between the powder, and the bullet?

P.P.S. What do you think that “AIR SPACE(OXYGEN) / ADDED VOLUME” in the combustion process would do to the PRESSURE……genius?

NoWWWW……WHO HAS THE WORLD CLASS STUPIDITY?

You’re changing the FUEL(gunpowder):AIR(oxygen) ratio in the cartridge when you increase the volume of the A.I. cartridge, and if you don’t think “leaning out” that combustion chamber increases pressure, you’re a damn fool.

Run along troll…..you’re clueless, and just had your azz handed to you.

This level of stupidity is dangerous. Smokeless powder contains 100% of the oxygen necessary for 100% combustion within it's chemical make-up. There is zero "leaning out" effect (effect - look it up dumbazz). Added volume decreases pressure for a given powder charge/bullet/chamber configuration, reducing velocity, hence the OP's confusion. David Walter was correct. You are providing dangerously stupid information, probably on purpose.

https://www.alliantpowder.com/getting_started/safety/storage_handling.aspx

David

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Fireforming a case to the Ackley Improved version indeed requires a portion of energy from the load, as already mentioned. When I fireform .257 Roberts into the Ackley Improved shape, I have found that the case AOL will shorten, often times significantly enough to have the primers protrude if the FF load wasn't sufficient to completely form the case and blow the head back enough to pick up the primer (this is only true in rimless bottle-necked cases, not rimmed cases). All that brass has to come from somewhere to form the straighter body, sharper shoulder, and that comes at a cost of OAL. Which is why I select a FF load with enough pressure to completely form the case. That is until I spent the money to have the Hornady Custom Shop make up a hydraulic case forming die for my latest acquisition, a .22-250 Remington Ackley Improved. The die was produced from a chamber reamer drawing and two fired cases. Now I just form the cases to 99.5% of the fired shape in the die, where firing just sharpens the shoulder to case body junction, and don't worry about anything.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (222Sako, 12344mag, 007FJ, 2500HD, 219DW, 10gaugeman, 65 invisible), 1,912 guests, and 1,216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,073
Posts18,521,697
Members74,024
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.