Home
Posted By: High_Noon Bighorn Origin Action - 04/20/19
Looking at the Bighorn Origin CRF action, I wonder how the Bighorn extractor performs/compares to the massive claw extractor on a Mauser action.

From a cost perspective, would it make sense to choose the Bighorn over a properly prepped Mauser action such as a 1909 Argentine or K98? I imagine that the Bighorn would be considerably lighter.

Posted By: SD65 Re: Bighorn Origin Action - 04/23/19

Haven't had a chance to get my build together yet, but the SA Origin weighs about 28ozs. Don't think any new CRF compares to an old mauser claw extractor.

For a modern type tactical/prs rig, the Origin is a solid choice in a budget custom action.
Posted By: Crow hunter Re: Bighorn Origin Action - 04/24/19
They're pretty different actions. The bighorn is a remington clone with a savage style floating bolt head. The extractor is about twice the size of a remington or savage but it's not the massive claw of a Mauser. Mine has fed great from day one, it's set up with a detachable magazine using AICS style mags.

From a cost perspective the bighorn is ready to go out of the box. It'll take several thousand dollars and a GOOD gunsmith (not 99% of them) to make an old mauser right. In this day and age with a number of good new 98's with modern steel out there I don't know why anyone would use an old one outside of nostalgia.
Posted By: Higginez Re: Bighorn Origin Action - 04/24/19
There is just no way a detent spring loaded extractor can have as much mechanical advantage as a Mouser claw.
Posted By: High_Noon Re: Bighorn Origin Action - 04/25/19
Yep. I suspected the massive Mauser claw was superior. Like Crow hunter said, there's a few modern 98 actions to choose from.
Posted By: joshf303 Re: Bighorn Origin Action - 04/25/19
The extractor and CRF of the BH TL3 and Origins have done nothing but run flawlessly for me.
Posted By: Otis Re: Bighorn Origin Action - 04/26/19
What I don't understand is why today there's a train of thought that the old 98 actions aren't suitable for a build as they were 50 years ago! Seems to me if you build a gun like one 50 years ago it should be good enough today!
Posted By: Higginez Re: Bighorn Origin Action - 04/26/19
Originally Posted by Otis
What I don't understand is why today there's a train of thought that the old 98 actions aren't suitable for a build as they were 50 years ago! Seems to me if you build a gun like one 50 years ago it should be good enough today!

It's not that they won't work, but more that the new designs are machined better and offer so much more flexibility to change things on a whim without added gunsmith costs.

Can you do a .223 on a 98?
Posted By: Rossimp Re: Bighorn Origin Action - 04/27/19
What are you looking to chamber? Sarco has some Dumoulin made 98s that are quite reasonable in cost. By all accounts they are considered quite good. Comments only lament on cost of mounts fitting dovetail as being very expensive. No one would shop a build for a 223 Rem on a 98 action as the weight and the need for claw extraction would not make much sense for such a small case rim. A Mauser 98 would be more inclined for a .473" on up bolt face cartridge rather than a .378" class.

Dumoulin Mauser 98 Action for sale
Posted By: Higginez Re: Bighorn Origin Action - 04/28/19
Originally Posted by Rossimp
No one would shop a build for a 223 Rem on a 98 action as the weight and the need for claw extraction would not make much sense for such a small case rim. A Mauser 98 would be more inclined for a .473" on up bolt face cartridge rather than a .378" class.

Dumoulin Mauser 98 Action for sale

That was my point.
Posted By: High_Noon Re: Bighorn Origin Action - 04/28/19
I know that the Dumoulin Mauser action is well regarded and I realize that they have been used is many high-dollar builds, but I not interested in a Dumoulin.

The Dumoulin actions are not manufactured in Belgium as purported on the SARCO website, which is my main point of contention.

"The barelled actions are manufactured in Belgium by E. Dumoulin and Co. from a series of components consisting of trigger mechanisms from England or Belgium, trigger guards from Spain, screws from Belgium and rifle barrels from the United States, as well as incomplete bolt assemblies, bolt stop assemblies and receivers from China."

The reason that SARCO can get away with advertising the Dumoulin action as "Manufactured in Belgium" is apparently due to the fact that a certain percentage of the parts and assembly of the action meet the federal guidelines.

My concern regarding these actions is the Chinese manufactured bolt assemblies, bolt stop assemblies and receivers. Personally, I would not purchase one of these actions based upon this information. I would much rather use an M98, 1909 Argentine, etc.

REFERENCE:
[url=https://rulings.cbp.gov/detail.asp?ru=559392&ac=pr][/url]https://rulings.cbp.gov/detail.asp?ru=559392&ac=pr
Ross-imp: Either a .280 Rem or a .35 Whelen. Possibly a .338-06. More likely, I will find a previously built custom 1909 or K98, etc., which would be a considerably cheaper route.
Posted By: bobnob17 Re: Bighorn Origin Action - 04/28/19
Zastava do a good modern 98. None of it made in China.
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: Bighorn Origin Action - 04/28/19
One of these would be better.
http://granitemountainarms.com/index.html
Yep. Granite Mountain. I'll order a dozen.
Here's a cheap double square bridge:
Granite Mountain

Zastava might be a good option. Depends on what I can find.
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: Bighorn Origin Action - 04/28/19
Look for a used Interterms Mark X. wink

Oh,by the way, Zastava and Interarms are the same thing.
Ken: ...or the 1909 I e-mailed you earlier.
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: Bighorn Origin Action - 04/29/19
Yeah,there is that. wink
Posted By: High_Noon Re: Bighorn Origin Action - 04/29/19
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Look for a used Interterms Mark X. wink

Oh,by the way, Zastava and Interarms are the same thing.

So is the Remington 798.
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: Bighorn Origin Action - 04/29/19
Yup,forgot about that one. wink
Posted By: Starman Re: Bighorn Origin Action - 04/30/19
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
.. In this day and age with a number of good new 98's with modern steel out there I don't know why anyone would
use an old one outside of nostalgia.

The problem with old mausers is not so much the low carbon steel but the heat treat, which can vary considerably.

Given proper modern process heat treat and fed responsible sensible pressure loads, it should by all rights serve
a person very well.

but if a person for some reason prefers a modern Chromoly M98 , by all means get one..!!

Originally Posted by Otis
What I don't understand is why today there's a train of thought that the old 98 actions aren't suitable for a build as they were 50 years ago!
Seems to me if you build a gun like one 50 years ago it should be good enough today!

Todays top level 98 customs are better than the ones from 50 yrs ago.

In fact, some are even better than the custom 98 rifles that guys like Tom Burgess would have buit in more recent decades.
(though some would have trouble picking the subtle improvements)
Tom was a strong advocate of heat -treating old mausers. he extensively hands -on studied them over several decades, accumulating
a wealth of intimate knowledge concerning military mauser metallurgy.

He did express how he would design a new CRF action , from what I recall he based it around the Brno- CZ
with a few changes.

Posted By: High_Noon Re: Bighorn Origin Action - 04/30/19
Starman: Yes, the matter of heat treating or carbonizing old Mauser actions is interesting. I've read a bit on the subject and there seems to be 2 schools of thought on the matter: some say that it needs to be done and some say that it's not necessary. Heat treating; however, needs to be undertaken by a professional as incorrect heat treating can ruin an otherwise serviceable action. It also seems that, over time, lug set-back can become an issue if not heat treated correctly. I wonder what a proper Mauser action heat treatment would cost? Clearly prepping an older Mauser action is not an inexpensive proposition.

I know Ed LaPour charges a pretty penny:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Starman Re: Bighorn Origin Action - 04/30/19
Yes well some smiths like an action to be annealed before extensive work starts, making heat treat mandatory...

Originally Posted by High_Noon
I wonder what a proper Mauser action heat treatment would cost?

Anyone who cannot afford HT, then its safe to say they cannot afford a custom 98 with the nice goodies.
Posted By: High_Noon Re: Bighorn Origin Action - 04/30/19
I did a bit of looking and heat treating a Mauser actions seems to be around $100.00.

Originally Posted by Starman
Anyone who cannot afford HT, then its safe to say they cannot afford a custom 98 with the nice goodies.

... and it's probably safe to say that anyone who can't afford that, cannot afford an internet connection to pose the question in the first place.
© 24hourcampfire