Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Looking at the Bighorn Origin CRF action, I wonder how the Bighorn extractor performs/compares to the massive claw extractor on a Mauser action.

From a cost perspective, would it make sense to choose the Bighorn over a properly prepped Mauser action such as a 1909 Argentine or K98? I imagine that the Bighorn would be considerably lighter.

Last edited by High_Noon; 04/20/19.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
GB1

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S

Haven't had a chance to get my build together yet, but the SA Origin weighs about 28ozs. Don't think any new CRF compares to an old mauser claw extractor.

For a modern type tactical/prs rig, the Origin is a solid choice in a budget custom action.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
They're pretty different actions. The bighorn is a remington clone with a savage style floating bolt head. The extractor is about twice the size of a remington or savage but it's not the massive claw of a Mauser. Mine has fed great from day one, it's set up with a detachable magazine using AICS style mags.

From a cost perspective the bighorn is ready to go out of the box. It'll take several thousand dollars and a GOOD gunsmith (not 99% of them) to make an old mauser right. In this day and age with a number of good new 98's with modern steel out there I don't know why anyone would use an old one outside of nostalgia.

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
There is just no way a detent spring loaded extractor can have as much mechanical advantage as a Mouser claw.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Yep. I suspected the massive Mauser claw was superior. Like Crow hunter said, there's a few modern 98 actions to choose from.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
The extractor and CRF of the BH TL3 and Origins have done nothing but run flawlessly for me.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
What I don't understand is why today there's a train of thought that the old 98 actions aren't suitable for a build as they were 50 years ago! Seems to me if you build a gun like one 50 years ago it should be good enough today!

Semper Fi USMC/0331
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Otis
What I don't understand is why today there's a train of thought that the old 98 actions aren't suitable for a build as they were 50 years ago! Seems to me if you build a gun like one 50 years ago it should be good enough today!

It's not that they won't work, but more that the new designs are machined better and offer so much more flexibility to change things on a whim without added gunsmith costs.

Can you do a .223 on a 98?

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
What are you looking to chamber? Sarco has some Dumoulin made 98s that are quite reasonable in cost. By all accounts they are considered quite good. Comments only lament on cost of mounts fitting dovetail as being very expensive. No one would shop a build for a 223 Rem on a 98 action as the weight and the need for claw extraction would not make much sense for such a small case rim. A Mauser 98 would be more inclined for a .473" on up bolt face cartridge rather than a .378" class.

Dumoulin Mauser 98 Action for sale

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rossimp
No one would shop a build for a 223 Rem on a 98 action as the weight and the need for claw extraction would not make much sense for such a small case rim. A Mauser 98 would be more inclined for a .473" on up bolt face cartridge rather than a .378" class.

Dumoulin Mauser 98 Action for sale

That was my point.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I know that the Dumoulin Mauser action is well regarded and I realize that they have been used is many high-dollar builds, but I not interested in a Dumoulin.

The Dumoulin actions are not manufactured in Belgium as purported on the SARCO website, which is my main point of contention.

"The barelled actions are manufactured in Belgium by E. Dumoulin and Co. from a series of components consisting of trigger mechanisms from England or Belgium, trigger guards from Spain, screws from Belgium and rifle barrels from the United States, as well as incomplete bolt assemblies, bolt stop assemblies and receivers from China."

The reason that SARCO can get away with advertising the Dumoulin action as "Manufactured in Belgium" is apparently due to the fact that a certain percentage of the parts and assembly of the action meet the federal guidelines.

My concern regarding these actions is the Chinese manufactured bolt assemblies, bolt stop assemblies and receivers. Personally, I would not purchase one of these actions based upon this information. I would much rather use an M98, 1909 Argentine, etc.

REFERENCE:
[url=https://rulings.cbp.gov/detail.asp?ru=559392&ac=pr][/url]https://rulings.cbp.gov/detail.asp?ru=559392&ac=pr

Last edited by High_Noon; 04/28/19.

- Del Gue
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Ross-imp: Either a .280 Rem or a .35 Whelen. Possibly a .338-06. More likely, I will find a previously built custom 1909 or K98, etc., which would be a considerably cheaper route.

- Del Gue
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Zastava do a good modern 98. None of it made in China.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
One of these would be better.
http://granitemountainarms.com/index.html

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Yep. Granite Mountain. I'll order a dozen.
Here's a cheap double square bridge:
Granite Mountain

Zastava might be a good option. Depends on what I can find.

- Del Gue
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Look for a used Interterms Mark X. wink

Oh,by the way, Zastava and Interarms are the same thing.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Ken: ...or the 1909 I e-mailed you earlier.

- Del Gue
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Yeah,there is that. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Look for a used Interterms Mark X. wink

Oh,by the way, Zastava and Interarms are the same thing.

So is the Remington 798.

- Del Gue
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Yup,forgot about that one. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

259 members (450yukon, 1_deuce, 338reddog, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 300_savage, 42 invisible), 2,412 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,694
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.