Home
I’ve wanted to build a 22CM for quite some time now as it just seems like a whole lotta fun to shoot... but for some reason, lately, something has been pulling me towards the 6CM.

Some of the new heavy .224 bullets are very intriguing but you can’t seem to go wrong with the 6mms either.

The rifle will mainly be used for pronghorn, coyotes and the occasional deer. Barrel life is not a deciding factor.

Build specs regardless of chambering will be:
Rem 700 action
Bartlein 3 or 3b fluted and cut at 22-24”
Manners EH-2
Mesa M5 DBM
Talley lightweights
Zeiss V4 4-16X44
I like my 22 cm
6-MM CM is another nice looking round.
I think a guy could hunt deer and yotes all day long and have a blast doing it.
The 6 is going to buck the wind more than the 22 as you stretch past 400 yards.

If you put a brake on it you will be able to see the impacts better as well.
Having both...I’d still lean with the 6 CM.
They aren’t/weren’t CMs but I just had a heavy-ish 243 rebarreled to a light-ish 8 twist 22-250. Its awesome and what I should have done 10 years ago when I had the 243 built
I've only got (3) each of 224 and 243 Kreedmires,with the 224 being the landslide FAVORITE. Tough to beat a speedy 88 and it's .545 BC.

The 22-250 sucks heavy ass in comparison and though I've suffered wayyyyyyyy more of 'em,than folks who swoon same...it's an EASY fix.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Pass the Alpha and hold the Fluff.

Hint.......................
I have both. I like the 6mm pill for speed goats.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Don't underestimate the power of an 88...….A G1 of .545, like mentioned above, is pretty serious medicine.

This bear was taken last fall with one frontal shot(through the white chest patch) at 335 meters.
Very nicely done, Scenar.
I'd be curious to hear what .224 boolits are being used and which .243's...for folks to swoon the 6mm version?

The .224" 88 STEALS the fhuqking Show.

Hint............................
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
at 335 meters.

I thought Montana was still in America.......don't you mean 366 yards wink
Since I have a 6 and a .243, a .22 would be my choice.

Still a couple places, including very nearby VA, where .22s aren't legal for big game, so I have to have options.

Still hoping for a .22 Fieldcraft.
I shoot a couple/few chamberings in the 6mm bore size...270,243 Grendel,6BR,243 Kreedmire,243 Win,243 Win AI,6mm Rem,6mm Rem AI,6-284 and 6-06. Because boolits matter more than headstamps,their .224" cousins are tough to whoop...223,223AI,224 Grendel,22 BR,22-250,22-250AI and 224 Kreedmire.

I'd rather Montucky in 224 Speedmire,due ergo's and the fact that a 3" COAL 'box isn't a requisite and it shines brightly in a typical 2.815" COAL 'box/magazine.Though in fairness,one of mine wear greater than .100" freebore and that ain't a "fluke". Hint.

A 7" Montucky 224 Speedmire,would slam the fhuqking doors,on a LOTTA wares.

Hint.....................
Alright, I’ve made up my mind.

I’m going to go 22 Creed... the 6CM will be sometime down the line though
Now debating between a Bartlein 2b or 3 finished at 24".... hmmm....
A 2b at 24” with a .22 bore would be plenty heavy for my tastes
1-7" Bart' 224 Speedmire. 45 MoMo Marty rail(welded),ADACR handle(welded),TT flat trigger,yada,yada.yada and 88's crowdin' 3200fps.

Prolly even shoots too.(grin)

When you say 6CM, I'm assuming you mean Creedmore. Considered 6 Competition Match? I just built one. Using H1000, guys are reporting barrel life of 4K + rounds. A friend locally has one, and his last barrel went 4,500.
Originally Posted by Big Stick
1-7" Bart' 224 Speedmire. 45 MoMo Marty rail(welded),ADACR handle(welded),TT flat trigger,yada,yada.yada and 88's crowdin' 3200fps.

Prolly even shoots too.(grin)

What contour on the Bartlien?

Pros/cons of the flat trigger shoe?
I would also consider the Bartlein 0 contour if they will still do this in stainless. It puts the meaty part of the barrel where it does the most good and still provides a weight savings. It balances better with a carbon fiber stock but if you go plain glass the 2B will balance with a slight muzzle heaviness which I like.

I would go 5R and might do gain twist although a 1-7 will cover all the most useful bullet weights. I am betting you will end up doing both, the 6mm with 105-115s is pretty awesome. You have to go up to more powder and blast to get much more advantage. The 6mm is more gun but the advantages start where most hunters should stop.

Flat rigger shoe, never warmed up to them but it is a personal preference thing. Also depends how you engage the trigger, if just the tip of your finger the flat may be better, if the crook then curved. Super light trigger I may go flat but normal hunting weight I prefer the curved.
DD,

I cain't recall the contour,as I've "only" a couple/few hunnert spouts.(grin)

Personally,I'm hip on Flatty fire control levers and especially on Krunchentickers(have 'em in 22LR,Hummer,Whizzum,223,224 Grendel and 243 Grendel mainly).

Hint...……………….

TheJanitor,

You are a Lying CLUELESS Fhuqk,who only "shoots" her mouth and Imagination. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Here's to the HILARITY of your Delusions. Hint. LAUGHING!

Bless your heart for Lying.

Hint.

LAUGHING!...………………...
Hint taken. CMC flattys good to go at 3.5 pounds on an AR?
Stick,
Is Creedmoor case capacity necessary for an 88, or with the grendel suffice?
Popping a 22 grendel barrel on an AR upper sounds like a cheap way to 88 bliss if it'll get'r moving.
Doesn't make much difference since you've already decided, but the 6CM would have been my choice.
DD,

I LOVE CMC Flatty's and 3.5lbs,do open doors of opportunity and windows of control. Hint.

No issues with striker mass,whether 22LR,Hummer or 17 Whizzum. Hint.

Just do it.

Thank me later.

CaptArub,

When talking Kissing Cousins,of like capacity,I'm always gonna greedily grab the .224" 88 ELD Version,over the .243" 108 ELD(or similar) Version. Hint.

I shoot a "few" .243" bore chamberings. Hint.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Now as to the 224 Grendel/88 ELD Krunchenticker melding in particular,I've multiple rifles set up expressly for same and they are straight up fhuqking AMAZING. Lotsa COAL to arrange a Smooch,Lapooey brass is spectacular,Starline doable but Norma and Hornady absolute fhuqking dog schit. Hint.

Bullets matter wayyyyyyy more than headstamps and the reduction in mass,with a .545 BC,simply arranges Facts & Physics,to connect dots by fhuqking default. There is no answer to it,in the .243" bore size. Hint.

I simply shoot it all.

Hint....................

'63,

DO tell,which .243" projectiles swoon you,in "your" 243 Kreedmire...mainly because it will be fhuqking funny. Hint.

Laughing!.............................
I've got 3 flavors of .243 and enjoy them all. Always lusted for a go faster .224 chambering, but never got around to it. Now that there is brass made just for the 22 Creed..........Hmmmm........
I've piles of 243Win's and 243 AI's,amongst others of the bore size(obviously). Hint.

That being said,when like case capacity is introduced,the reduced mass of a superior BC .224" projectile,simply kicks schit aside. Hint.

Alpha is without peer and AMAZINGLY consistent(I've a few thousand pieces).Alpha 224 Kreedmire brass and Hornie 88 ELD's,most certainly rate a Rifle Build,so as to reap inherent mechanical advantages. Hint.

I'd rather 223 SAAMI and 88,than 243AI and 105...mainly because I shoot it all and then some.

Hint.....................
Ok since this is a build thread, I'm gonna ask.....

My CF rifles are ADL or BDL . If I was to build with DBM, do I need an action cut for it, or is there other ways ?
I'm thinking there is both, if so which is the best choice for a sporter style rifle ? Read lots here and there but don't remember it all, esp if I'm not planning on using it at the time.

Thanks
Stick, I shoulda been more clear-

What I was getting at is unless one is especially fond of burning excess powder, barrels, and Benjamin's, 22 creed seem like a silly way to launch the same bullet as a 22 Grendel.

Am I missing something?
Side note- Anybody other than team MAGA over Florida cutting Grendel spouts?
Originally Posted by mibowhunter

My CF rifles are ADL or BDL . If I was to build with DBM, do I need an action cut for it, or is there other ways ?
I'm thinking there is both, if so which is the best choice for a sporter style rifle ? Read lots here and there but don't remember it all, esp if I'm not planning on using it at the time.

Thanks

No cutting of the action needs to be done to run any bottom metal that runs typical AICS style magazines....IE Accurate, Magpul, AICS, ARC etc. Your stocks bottom metal inlet will need to be cut out to run the above magazines in a M5 footprint DBM.

The only instances where the action would need to be cut on is if a man is using longer than normal magazines (notching the feed ramp) or running AW (Artic Warfare) magazines. The AW is a double stack magazine that requires that the feed rails be widened to accommodate the feeding.
Bullets matter wayyyyyyy more than headstamps and the reduction in mass,with a .545 BC,simply arranges Facts & Physics,to connect dots by fhuqking default. There is no answer to it,in the .243" bore size. Hint.

Excepting, of course, my pointed Hybrids with a confirmed .585" BC, or the new 109 Hybrid at .568, or a 110 Sierra at .617........
Originally Posted by aalf

Excepting, of course, my pointed Hybrids with a confirmed .585" BC, or the new 109 Hybrid at .568, or a 110 Sierra at .617........

Yeah. According to him the A Tip at .604 doesn't rate either...........

The 115 DTAC with a .620 G1 is another good option.
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

The 115 DTAC with a .620 G1 is another good option.

Berger 115 at .563 as well, point it and you're well over .600......
CaptArub,

Would/could the 22PPC Improved please me,as my mainstay .224" Boolit Squirter? Yes and 100%. The 224 Grendel is simply an exceptionally well designed cartridge and capably covered in logistics.

The Kreedmire is simply 95%+ of a 22-250AI,in ready roll SPLENDID brass(Alpha) and of course utilizes the mainstay .473" boltface. It's easily the best route to travel,in a .473" turnbolt.

As Krunchentickers go,I have BHW,X-Caliber and Harrison's spouts and all are stellar. I typically use Harrison and nab a headspaced bolt,at the same time. Very easy/fast way to roll. 20" is plenty for me.

Hint......………

'alf,

As bore size goes up,BC's better as well. I'm not much into fhuqking around and Berger's are well shy of ELD terminal reliabilities. I'm
more than HAPPY,to score 88'sand the .545 BC for well under $20 a can and simply load/shoot the things. A-Tips shoot nicely,but haven't really horned me up,though I look forward to the 7mm R&D. The Sugar 110's and 115's don't show me much either. The mass increase/speed decrease and unreliability,do not make an 88 even a touch "nervous".

Pardon my shooting it all and then some.

Hint...…………

'Course I don't get the wind,that you gals do. Yesterday morning.

LAUGHING!

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by joshf303
Originally Posted by mibowhunter

Thanks

No cutting of the action needs to be done to run any bottom metal that runs typical AICS style magazines....IE Accurate, Magpul, AICS, ARC etc. Your stocks bottom metal inlet will need to be cut out to run the above magazines in a M5 footprint DBM.

The only instances where the action would need to be cut on is if a man is using longer than normal magazines (notching the feed ramp) or running AW (Artic Warfare) magazines. The AW is a double stack magazine that requires that the feed rails be widened to accommodate the feeding.

Good info ,Thanks !
A-Tips shoot nicely,but haven't really horned me up,though I look forward to the 7mm R&D.

Me too. Been checking daily on their published BC values...
'alf, As bore size goes up,BC's better as well. I'm not much into fhuqking around and Berger's are well shy of ELD terminal reliabilities. I'm
more than HAPPY,to score 88'sand the .545 BC for well under $20 a can and simply load/shoot the things. A-Tips shoot nicely,but haven't really horned me up,though I look forward to the 7mm R&D. The Sugar 110's and 115's don't show me much either. The mass increase/speed decrease and unreliability,do not make an 88 even a touch "nervous".Pardon my shooting it all and then some.Hint...…………

Sorry, just showing the error of your ways with the BC of the 88's having no "equal"..... whistle

When you bring cost and terminal performance to the table it can change thinking somewhat.

In closing, in all the 600 and 1000 yard matches I've been to, the only guys shooting Hornady bullets were the employees.......hint.......
Never have been bored enough,to be enthralled with paper and am simply afforded the luxury of gunning exceptional wares,side by each. It has never made a fhuqk to me,what someone else is using and am more than a touch comfy in my hands on accountings. Hint.

As plainly stated,when talking like case capacity in .224 and .243,the 88’s steal the show. If/when you see your first,simply start a Thread. Hint.

Laughing!...............
The lying bushelor don't care what others run?? Haha

That's the same as, "not giving a fuuck what others are using, right? You've sure wasted a ton of bandwidth stating otherwise. What's changed?
Oh my...Hurt Feelers are rampant!

Too funny!

Hint...............
Feel free to tell the www how much you “don’t care”.... haha
© 24hourcampfire